Lawro Midweek predictions V MCWFC Steph Houghton

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Lawro Midweek predictions V MCWFC Steph Houghton

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:11 am

Lawro takes on Steph Houghton for the midweek games (no Merson for the midweek games) EDIT: Mersons predictions are now in!!!

Houghton is a centre-back for Manchester City Women and bases her game on Vincent Kompany, her counterpart in City's men's team.
Continue reading the main story

“It is important to try to model yourself on someone and Kompany is definitely the centre-half I want to play like, When I was growing up, my favourite players were David Beckham and Steven Gerrard because of their technique when they passed the ball," she told BBC Sport.

"I loved the way they played the game and seemed to see a different picture to other players. Now I really enjoy watching Kompany because that is the position I play in. We try to play the same way as the men and I think it is important to try to model yourself on someone - Kompany is definitely the centre-half I want to play like."

Just like the club's men's team, City Women have started collecting silverware, with Houghton helping them beat her former club Arsenal to win the Continental Cup in October and clinch their first major trophy.

"I go and watch pretty much every City home game. It's the same at every club I've been at," Houghton added. "We are both winning trophies at the moment, which is great for the club."

Sunderland v Man City

"Aguero could probably play centre-back instead of Kompany and still be City's best player"

Sunderland will probably try to do to Manchester City what they did to Chelsea at the weekend, when they defended brilliantly to earn a 0-0 draw.
Gus Poyet's side have got previous in this fixture - they have won it 1-0 in the last four seasons - but the Black Cats will not win 1-0 this time.

City swatted Southampton aside at the weekend and, even if Vincent Kompany misses out, I think they will have enough about them to take the three points.
The way Sergio Aguero is playing up front at the moment, he could probably play centre-back instead of Kompany and still be City's best player.

Lawro's prediction: 0-2
Steph's prediction: Man City do not tend to do well at Sunderland but I can see them picking up a point this time. 1-1

No faith Steph, you have NOOOO FAITH

Merson is on the Lawro Wavelength today

Sunderland v Man City

People will say Sunderland have to win their games at home, but they just have to make sure they can nick points against the big boys - they did that last time out. Defensively, that was as good as it gets. They’ll have to do it again against Man City but I think they’ll have too much for them - John O’Shea and Wes Brown liked playing against Diego Costa, but Sergio Aguero is miles too sharp and lively for them.

PAUL PREDICTS: 0-2
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: Lawro Midweek predictions V MCWFC Steph Houghton

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:19 am

At least Lawro doesn't let a little thing like History distract him from predicting his favourite score.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Michigan Blue » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:29 am

Wonderwall wrote:No faith Steph, you have NOOOO FAITH

She is a Mackem, is she not?
"Certainly our programme is a full one, but as a player and as a manager I've always felt that there is only one way to go into a season...and that's to try to win every game.... While we are in four major competitions we shall try to win four major competitions." - Joe Mercer
Michigan Blue
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:57 am

Michigan Blue wrote:

that is a very good point, I think you are right!

Wonderwall

Postby Goaters 103 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:31 pm

Michigan Blue wrote:

Yeah she is, and attended the 2014 Capital One Cup final as a Sunderland fan, though a City player #awkward
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:11 pm

Mersons little snippet now added
Wonderwall

Postby nottsblue » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:35 pm