Gary Cahill

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Gary Cahill

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:41 pm

Interesting quotes from Owen Coyle on Gary Cahill.

"The summer before he moved to Chelsea, Manchester City came in and offered £17 million and a player. That was going to be a huge deal. Obviously, something happened, so he stayed on at Bolton and it never materialised."

Apparently Mancini thought the price was too high and opted for Stefan Savic instead.....what a fuck up!!!

The player going as part of the deal was Boyata!
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: Gary Cahill

Postby Goaters 103 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:45 pm

Wonderwall wrote:Interesting quotes from Owen Coyle on Gary Cahill.

"The summer before he moved to Chelsea, Manchester City came in and offered £17 million and a player. That was going to be a huge deal. Obviously, something happened, so he stayed on at Bolton and it never materialised."

Apparently Mancini thought the price was too high and opted for Stefan Savic instead.....what a fuck up!!!

The player going as part of the deal was Boyata!

Oh dear.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby AntMcfc » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:45 pm

He said the player going as part of the deal was Onuoha. Cahill's massively overrated anyway, not worth anything close to £17.
AntMcfc
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Yaya/Aguero/Totti/Busi

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:46 pm

AntMcfc wrote:He said the player going as part of the deal was Onuoha. Cahill's massively overrated anyway, not worth anything close to £17.

I disagree, I think Cahill is a good defender and is also good on the ball, he is the type of partner that would have been perfect for VK
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby zuricity » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:07 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
AntMcfc wrote:He said the player going as part of the deal was Onuoha. Cahill's massively overrated anyway, not worth anything close to £17.

I disagree, I think Cahill is a good defender and is also good on the ball, he is the type of partner that would have been perfect for VK

Nah WW... i agree with Ant here, massively overrated and lumbers around. He got lucky going to Chelski.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby aaron bond » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:13 pm

So we offered £17m, then decided not to offer £17m? It's difficult to know what to believe there.

That aside, Cahill has turned out to be a very good defender for Chelsea. Far better than I thought he could be before he joined them.

Whether he could have created a better partnership with Kompany than what we had with Kompany-Lescott is hard to know.

But Mancini's decision to bring in Nastasic and believe he was good enough to play for us has to go down as one of the biggest fuck-ups we've seen in recent years. The fact it took Pellegrini so long to work out how useless he is was always concerning, but we finally seem to have seen the back of him. Considering the price we paid for him, Cahill would have been a far better option.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby AntMcfc » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:01 pm

aaron bond wrote:So we offered £17m, then decided not to offer £17m? It's difficult to know what to believe there.

He said that Mancini and Cook disagreed on signing him, and the plug was pulled on it. I don't know which of Mancini and Cook wanted to sign him, he didn't disclose that. I'm guessing Mancini wanted to sign him and Cook cancelled it.
AntMcfc
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Yaya/Aguero/Totti/Busi

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:02 pm

Summer 2012? Wasn't that the summer that the purse strings were tightened? May have been beyond Mancini's control for all we know.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:48 pm

Well obviously, Cook instead signed Savic, who was recommended to Mancini, by a friend of Mancini's, then signed Nastasic also recommended by a friend of Mancini's, then Marwood took over the job of signing players Mancini didn't want, just purely to piss him off & stop City from passing FFP..

It was Cook & Marwood's constant hobnobbing with Mancini's mates & signing of players close to Mancini, or followed by Mancini, which caused the bustup with Mancini.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:00 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Well obviously, Cook instead signed Savic, who was recommended to Mancini, by a friend of Mancini's, then signed Nastasic also recommended by a friend of Mancini's, then Marwood took over the job of signing players Mancini didn't want, just purely to piss him off & stop City from passing FFP..

It was Cook & Marwood's constant hobnobbing with Mancini's mates & signing of players close to Mancini, or followed by Mancini, which caused the bustup with Mancini.

Crikey, who needs enemies when you've got 'friends' like that ?
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:10 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Well obviously, Cook instead signed Savic, who was recommended to Mancini, by a friend of Mancini's, then signed Nastasic also recommended by a friend of Mancini's, then Marwood took over the job of signing players Mancini didn't want, just purely to piss him off & stop City from passing FFP..

Crikey, who needs enemies when you've got 'friends' like that ?

Tbf, Cahill was fucking gash at the time imo, so I can see why Bob thought a player from abroad might be better. I still wouldn't want Cahill now personally, but I'd have him over those two obviously.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby nottsblue » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:08 pm

Considering the money on Savic and Nastastic the signing or non signing of Cahill, with hindsight of course, has been a disaster. Always thought he looked tasty and though not an obvious choice, was always a better bet than an untried youth from the Balkans
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:54 pm

nottsblue wrote:Considering the money on Savic and Nastastic the signing or non signing of Cahill, with hindsight of course, has been a disaster. Always thought he looked tasty and though not an obvious choice, was always a better bet than an untried youth from the Balkans

Tbf Nastasic was looking comfortable, as Savic does at times now. Just shows the difference of playing in the Premier League.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby nottsblue » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:52 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Considering the money on Savic and Nastastic the signing or non signing of Cahill, with hindsight of course, has been a disaster. Always thought he looked tasty and though not an obvious choice, was always a better bet than an untried youth from the Balkans

Tbf Nastasic was looking comfortable, as Savic does at times now. Just shows the difference of playing in the Premier League.

But Savic and Nastastic looking comfortable in the Italian league is absolutely not a barometer of the Prem league. It's the same with Mangala. He will be a great addition, but at the moment he looks lost and its surely in no small part to being a big leap from the Portugese league.Mdm last year, another prime example.

Sometimes an honest pro who has learned his trade in the Prem is a better bet than a young 'star' from sunnier climes.
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:20 am

nottsblue wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

But Savic and Nastastic looking comfortable in the Italian league is absolutely not a barometer of the Prem league. It's the same with Mangala. He will be a great addition, but at the moment he looks lost and its surely in no small part to being a big leap from the Portugese league.Mdm last year, another prime example.

Sometimes an honest pro who has learned his trade in the Prem is a better bet than a young 'star' from sunnier climes.

Innit.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby twosips » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:22 am

I miss those two. Bless em.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Plain Speaking » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:24 pm

I wanted us to get Cahill in 2011/2012 and still think he would have been an excellent buy.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby sheblue » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:33 pm

Plain Speaking wrote:I wanted us to get Cahill in 2011/2012 and still think he would have been an excellent buy.

Yes he would, didn't chelski end getting him for 6m or something around that.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Plain Speaking » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:57 pm

sheblue wrote:
Plain Speaking wrote:I wanted us to get Cahill in 2011/2012 and still think he would have been an excellent buy.

Yes he would, didn't chelski end getting him for 6m or something around that.

As I recall we were linked in the summer of 2011 with a bid of approx £17m bid? the following summer he would have gone for free on a bosman.

Chelsea got him for cheap in January 2012, fee apparently £7.39m (according to transfermarkt).

Chelsea seem to have been very shrewd in the transfer market, perhaps with odd exceptions like Torres and Shevchenko who were most likely Abramovich picks?
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Return to The Maine Football forum