Keeping it in the corner

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Keeping it in the corner

Postby Original Dub » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:18 pm

Why don't we do it in the last few minutes of tight games?

It looks to me like they are under instruction to attack until the end, because even the like of sensible milner doesn't do it.

I was screaming at them today and it's by no means the first time.

What is the benefit of attacking for the last 2 or 3 minutes instead of seeing the game out?

I only see risk, no benefit?
Original Dub

Re: Keeping it in the corner

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:28 pm

Original Dub wrote:Why don't we do it in the last few minutes of tight games?

It looks to me like they are under instruction to attack until the end, because even the like of sensible milner doesn't do it.

What is the benefit of attacking for the last 2 or 3 minutes instead of seeing the game out?

Tbh I prefer to see us try and kill the game off. If it's a choice say between running the ball into the corner or putting Aguero in one v one I know which one makes for better viewing!
Obviously be sensible about it but if there's a good chance of scoring then I say go for it.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Original Dub » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:31 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:

Tbh I prefer to see us try and kill the game off. If it's a choice say between running the ball into the corner or putting Aguero in one v one I know which one makes for better viewing!
Obviously be sensible about it but if there's a good chance of scoring then I say go for it.

But with two or three minutes left mate?

I understand a breaking ball but if aside from keeping it in the corner, play it sideways and on the wing.

The game will kill itself then.
Original Dub

Postby Original Dub » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:33 pm

Actually, we nearly paid the price for it today.

Right at the death I think when milner had it near the corner, tried to burst into the box and the ball broke to them.

Striker hit it wide with only hart to beat...
Original Dub

Postby blue-nova » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:38 pm

I was astonished that we let them back into it after the second goal. Lampard comes on and tells Yaya to stay in the defensive role - yet they both spend the rest of the match bombing forward. When Yaya had the shot from the edge of the area, Lampard was in the box! It's crazy that in a tight game, we take the lead and still leaving Fernandinho, then Fernando pretty much alone in front of the back four.
My Man City quiz book (now in print as well as Kindle) still outselling the rags! I'll be able to afford a Balti pie soon!
Just published a Christmassy Football Joke and Quiz Book too!
blue-nova
Lee Bradbury's Price Tag

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:13 pm

I despise the keeping it in the corner stall tactics. Maybe i am not very clever but it's shit.

Play the game.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:14 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:I despise the keeping it in the corner stall tactics. Maybe i am not very clever but it's shit.

Play the game.

Cheers

Agree, I hate it when we do it or anyone else for that matter.
It's very unsporting imo and bad for the spectator even if it is within the 'rules' of the game.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby london blue 2 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:38 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:I despise the keeping it in the corner stall tactics. Maybe i am not very clever but it's shit.

Play the game.

Cheers

Agree, I hate it when we do it or anyone else for that matter.
It's very unsporting imo and bad for the spectator even if it is within the 'rules' of the game.

Agree. Can forgive teams like QPR, Sunderland, burnley and united doing it but it's horrible to see quality teams resorting to it.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:07 pm

I'm with OD on this, think we should've been looking to run the clock down rather than trying to force a third. If a great opportunity presents itself them go for it but I think in a situation like today in the last few minutes we should resort to taking the ball wide when we counter.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Original Dub » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:23 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:I'm with OD on this, think we should've been looking to run the clock down rather than trying to force a third. If a great opportunity presents itself them go for it but I think in a situation like today in the last few minutes we should resort to taking the ball wide when we counter.

This is exactly it.
I'm talking about basic ball possession coupled with keeping it in the corner for the last THREE MINS MAX.

The rags did it for years, as do barca, real, bayern.

Common sense imo. There's no bravery in trying to force another goal in the closing stages.

As FIBD said above, if an amazing opportunity comes along, of course... other than that - keep it in your pants, you've already buried the baldy fella.
Original Dub

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:49 am

I've never seen it work.

Every time I've seen a team try to keep it in the corner, they are defending in their own box a few minutes later, having failed miserably to manage it.

Fat Sam style myth imo.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby john@staustell » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:07 am

Dub - when we score 3, 4 and 5 late on everyone thinks it's wonderful so I guess we cant have iot both ways. I remember everyone screaming about falling back and defending all the time (Pearce, Sven).

I dont think we'll click in until the second half of the season as usual.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:54 am

It's a pointless exercise that often backfires. It sets a negative tone and puts you on the back foot, making you look a team of frightened men.
Play proper football !
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:07 am

I'm all for slowing the game down and keeping the ball but absolutely against taking it in the corner and wasting time. It's horrible to watch and as I said before, very unsporting even if everyone does it.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby Original Dub » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:43 am

Ted Hughes wrote:I've never seen it work.

Every time I've seen a team try to keep it in the corner, they are defending in their own box a few minutes later, having failed miserably to manage it.

Fat Sam style myth imo.

I should have titled the thread
"Basic ball possession and keeping it in the corner".

I've seen it work a lot. Dunno why you think it's a myth?
Original Dub

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:02 am

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:I'm all for slowing the game down and keeping the ball but absolutely against taking it in the corner and wasting time. It's horrible to watch and as I said before, very unsporting even if everyone does it.

This is one of the (many) little tactics, techniques and practices that made Don Revie's Leeds team so unpopular, hated and detested in the late sixties and early seventies.

City are better than this and we should live and die by our philosophy (Pellegrini's philosophy) of always trying to score more goals and playing football the 'proper' way.

We should leave all the shady and distasteful tactics to lesser sides and lesser managers.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:45 am

Original Dub wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:I've never seen it work.

Fat Sam style myth imo.

I should have titled the thread
"Basic ball possession and keeping it in the corner".

I've seen it work a lot. Dunno why you think it's a myth?

Tried and tested prediction/failure ratio. It's the usual 80's/90's co commentator bollocks imo. Side playing really well, dominating possession, score late equaliser at the swamp. Cue Danny Mills type: "That's right just keep it in the corner, (insert name of journeyman here) showing his experience there, (cue me screaming at the screen "just pass the fucking ball like you've been doing for the last ten minutes you gutless twats), goalkick to Utd, GIGGS!! 2-1.

Time and fucking time again I've seen it happen where the oppo either score or have a scoring chance within about 10 secs of the playing safe routine.

Just pass the ball, to each other, rather than giving the oppo the chance to lump it down the pitch from a goalkick or throw in. Almost always, the oppo end up with the ball.

I don't mind it so much with 20 secs to go, but I've still seen it fail from there.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby freshie » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:47 pm

I can't stand it when other teams do it and I'd hate to see us do it. Play football til the final whistle
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby nottsblue » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:31 pm

Can see the logic of the practice but the reality is usually somewhat different. Surely we have skilled enough players who can pass to one another 20 or 25 times like they do for the preceding 88 mins. Play keepball and the other team can't harm us.

Plus, I could be very wrong, but I'm sure I saw a stat which we score the most goals after 85 minutes. This surely goes a long way to sealing a game.
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby john68 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:00 am

Yesterday, MP took Jovetic off. At that time, Aguero has faded from the game somewhat and Jovetic had become our main threat, with several shots. Effectively,we had Swansea on the back foot and were reasonably comfortable. IT WAS NOT BROKEN

MP took Jovetic off and the momentum swung to Swansea and they began to create chances....MP HAD FIXED WHAT WAS NOT BROKEN.

Game management is bollox, it's risky and stupid.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum