RIP Fionan 'Paddy' Fagan

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

RIP Fionan 'Paddy' Fagan

Postby gary james » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:40 am

I was actually interviewing Kath Clarke (former social club and, of course, Roy's wife) yesterday when I heard the news from her that Fionan 'Paddy' Fagan had died. He was a wonderful character and a real charmer. I always enjoyed talking with him.

When I get chance this afternoon I'll post an interview I did with him in 2004 on my facebook account. I always feel it's important to remind everyone of the players' views on their own careers, so will get on to it as soon as I can.

He was a great guy and in the interview he talks about the use of his nickname which I always felt a bit uncertain about using for obvious reasons. He didn't mind it though (he also told me what politically incorrect terms they used for his great friend Bert at times but obviously I couldn't put that in my articles!).

RIP Paddy and I hope football properly remembers your contribution to the game, especially in Ireland, Hull & Manchester.
Latest book "Manchester The City Years" - the full story of the Blues from the 1860s through to QPR 2012

Find out more about my writing/books: http://www.facebook.com/GaryJames4
Twitter: @GaryJamesWriter
gary james
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: MCFC

Re: RIP Fionan 'Paddy' Fagan

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:49 am

gary james wrote:I was actually interviewing Kath Clarke (former social club and, of course, Roy's wife) yesterday when I heard the news from her that Fionan 'Paddy' Fagan had died. He was a wonderful character and a real charmer. I always enjoyed talking with him.

When I get chance this afternoon I'll post an interview I did with him in 2004 on my facebook account. I always feel it's important to remind everyone of the players' views on their own careers, so will get on to it as soon as I can.

He was a great guy and in the interview he talks about the use of his nickname which I always felt a bit uncertain about using for obvious reasons. He didn't mind it though (he also told me what politically incorrect terms they used for his great friend Bert at times but obviously I couldn't put that in my articles!).

RIP Paddy and I hope football properly remembers your contribution to the game, especially in Ireland, Hull & Manchester.

Sad news RIP, We failed to do anything public for Frank Hannah Gary who recently passed away, his wife also passed away in the same week, any reason.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby gary james » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:55 am

There was a piece in the MCFC match prog on Frank, which is how I heard. I met Frank a couple of times and another who was passionate about the game - especially grass roots football in Manchester. I didn't know his wife had died as well until I saw your mention. So sad. From what I remember she hadn't been well and Frank had acted as her carer, so it sounds like an awful situation.

Again, our thoughts should be with their family.
Latest book "Manchester The City Years" - the full story of the Blues from the 1860s through to QPR 2012

gary james
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:57 pm

gary james wrote:There was a piece in the MCFC match prog on Frank, which is how I heard. I met Frank a couple of times and another who was passionate about the game - especially grass roots football in Manchester. I didn't know his wife had died as well until I saw your mention. So sad. From what I remember she hadn't been well and Frank had acted as her carer, so it sounds like an awful situation.

Again, our thoughts should be with their family.

Thanks I will have the Prog, every person whoever kicked a ball on a park pitch in Manchester will not know it was the likes of Frank and many more like him that have kept it going, Frank was a class act, he once sat in the reception area with me at the New Manchester FA headquarters, I was with a player who had two reds in two appearances for us all be it over a 6 week period. No knowing him whatsoever, I was whispering to the player, just stay calm and give your version of events, Frank, just off the cuff said "I suggest you get em talking, they love to talk" I was my lunch hour, well 90 mins later, he still got 35 days ban. Frank sat there as am observer piped up hey Brendan as we left, "How does it feel to do 90 mins. It was funny TBF. The same lad took a Cup from him we won later that season, Pausing to have a chat about the last time they met. so great fella and good for a laugh
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby gary james » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:30 pm

Posted my interview with paddy now: https://www.facebook.com/GaryJames4#!/G ... =1&theater

gary james
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:34 pm

Enjoyed reading that, Gary, thanks for posting it.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby john68 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:48 pm

Thanks for that Gary,

When I was six, it was waytching the likes of Bert Trautmann, George Hannagh, Bobby Johnstone, Joe Hayes and Paddy Fagan that cementedmy lifetime love for the blues.

As kids, all used to keep scrapbooks with pics and cuttings, then take them to Maine Road to get them autographed. They are sadly all long lost but Paddy was a hero in those to us kids.

RIP Paddy..and thanks for the memories.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby getdressedmctavish » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:01 pm

Used to go to City in the 50's with my Dad. I was in primary school. Used to sit on one of the crush barriers in the Kippax which were reserved for small boys if you got there early. one of my earliest memories is of Paddy Fagan, Billy McAdams and Colin Barlow who my memory tells me played in the same team. Paddy Fagan used to score a few cutting inside, McAdams used to miss a lot of sitters but got a few, and Colin Barlow was very quick but the original headless chicken. He did wear very short shorts though. The class act at the time were Barnes and Joe Hayes who had a free kick routine, ball to far post where midget heads it home, which produced loads of goals. Crowds weren't segregated.. I remember getting beat by Everton at home in about 1956, Paddy Fagan getting a screamer and an Everton fan giving me toffees. Though we lost there was never a hint of abusing the away fans, a gentler age.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Clowncrete » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:58 am

getdressedmctavish wrote:Used to go to City in the 50's with my Dad. I was in primary school. Used to sit on one of the crush barriers in the Kippax which were reserved for small boys if you got there early. one of my earliest memories is of Paddy Fagan, Billy McAdams and Colin Barlow who my memory tells me played in the same team. Paddy Fagan used to score a few cutting inside, McAdams used to miss a lot of sitters but got a few, and Colin Barlow was very quick but the original headless chicken. He did wear very short shorts though. The class act at the time were Barnes and Joe Hayes who had a free kick routine, ball to far post where midget heads it home, which produced loads of goals. Crowds weren't segregated.. I remember getting beat by Everton at home in about 1956, Paddy Fagan getting a screamer and an Everton fan giving me toffees. Though we lost there was never a hint of abusing the away fans, a gentler age.

I've always wondered, when and why did football change from that to the violence of the 70s and 80s?
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby nottsblue » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:41 pm

RIP. Scored twice in a 5-0 at the swamp in 1955. You can never have too many players who do that!
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby getdressedmctavish » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:27 am

Probably when the chanting started in the mid 60's, we went from cheering out teams to jeering the opposition.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Return to The Maine Football forum