International games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: International games

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:49 pm

Why the fuck are we playing Scotland tonight ? They get the chance to have a 'hate the English' night & punish us for allowing them to remain in the UK. We get the chance to get the living shit kicked out of our players, most of whom are key players in the Premier League & could cost their clubs dearly if they get injured, by theirs, most of whom wouldn't be missed if their legs fell off & who are playing in a game which means 10 times more for them.

James Milner must have a fucking great chance of a start tonight.

Also , why the fuck didn't any of our tv companies pick up Portugal vs Argentina, which many of us would rather watch ? Rag tv has it!!
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby blues2win » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:01 pm

Joe's been let off by Hodgson.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:56 pm

In Chinner's daily offering, it's reported that Shrek has "ordered" the English players not to be "scared of Scotland" tonight.........so that's it; job done.

Looks as though the skipper has contracted a serious case of the condition known as 'delusions of adequacy'.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Saul Goodman » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:40 pm

At least zaba and aguero arent starting today
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:30 pm

Bigger than the world cup final this in Scotland.

Fucking hell,its only on my TV till the missing starts.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby blues2win » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:41 pm

Kroos scores for Germany. An absolute shocker from the Spanish goalkeeper.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby zuricity » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:59 pm

blues2win wrote:Kroos scores for Germany. An absolute shocker from the Spanish goalkeeper.

bbc website.:

21:32
As we enter the last three minutes, neither side is particularly busting a gut to push for a winner.

21:33
GOAL

Spain 0-1 Germany - Toni Kroos (89 mins)
Posted at 21:35
Finally the breakthrough, although Spain's substitute goalkeeper Kiko Casilla will not want to watch that again.
Real Madrid midfielder Toni Kroos sends in a low strike from 20 yards, which should be comfortable for the Espanyol stopper, but the ball bounces up off him and into the net.
A shocker of an error.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:40 am

Only caught the highlights late, of the Ireland v USA game and the Scotland v England game.
Only friendlies I know, but, Ireland made 11 changes and looked better, football-wise.
The game looked incredibly open, maybe even naive. Hard to tell from highlights. Two or three players might have played their ways into the starting lineup for next March. Hard to know with O'Neill. Two very good goals from Robbie Brady and two great assists from McGoldrick.
As for England. Like I keep saying. You have the guts of a decent team there. From the highlights, it looked like some nice one touch fast accurate football being played.
Friendly or not, I'm sure it feels sweet for you.
As for Scotland. I still think Strachan at least has them attempting to play football.
Unless Ireland really take advantage of their home games I can't see us finishing higher than them.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:45 am

On a brighter note. Looks like Muller and Lahm are injured.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Green & Blue » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:17 am

Ireland opened up a can of whoop ass against the USA.Neiher side put out regulars but it was a good watch.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:34 pm

Green & Blue wrote:Ireland opened up a can of whoop ass against the USA.Neiher side put out regulars but it was a good watch.

True.
It was a lot easier on the eye than last Friday.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby PrezIke » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:19 pm

Green & Blue wrote:Ireland opened up a can of whoop ass against the USA.Neiher side put out regulars but it was a good watch.

the u.s. is frankly just a barely decent side anyway really, but a loss like that is a poor showing non-regulars or not.

didn't watch, but a lot hinging on the hopes of the likes of yedlin and green. regardless, the talent level is just not good enough overall.

would have been better for development of players here had the u.s. won hosting the world cup again.

interestingly a consultant firm from begium was hired (hired by bayern munich previously) to assess the needs and improve academies and player development.

will take time to get better players, but klinsmann is generally right if you ask me, which angers some u.s. supporters.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:29 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:Only caught the highlights late, of the Ireland v USA game and the Scotland v England game.
Only friendlies I know, but, Ireland made 11 changes and looked better, football-wise.
The game looked incredibly open, maybe even naive. Hard to tell from highlights. Two or three players might have played their ways into the starting lineup for next March. Hard to know with O'Neill. Two very good goals from Robbie Brady and two great assists from McGoldrick.
As for England. Like I keep saying. You have the guts of a decent team there. From the highlights, it looked like some nice one touch fast accurate football being played.

As for Scotland. I still think Strachan at least has them attempting to play football.
Unless Ireland really take advantage of their home games I can't see us finishing higher than them.

It was nice to put one over on Scotland and their baying hordes last night but, at the end of the day, they are only a fairly mediocre outfit, if that.

To put any credibility on that result is only papering over the cracks with regard to England's basic insufficiencies. It's one thing being able to play a bit of football against rubbish, but a totally different matter to do it against anyone half-decent.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:Only caught the highlights late, of the Ireland v USA game and the Scotland v England game.

It was nice to put one over on Scotland and their baying hordes last night but, at the end of the day, they are only a fairly mediocre outfit, if that.

To put any credibility on that result is only papering over the cracks with regard to England's basic insufficiencies. It's one thing being able to play a bit of football against rubbish, but a totally different matter to do it against anyone half-decent.

I understand that your expectations are probably a lot higher than mine, when it comes to watching your team.
I take it you didn't subject yourself to watching Scotland v Ireland last Friday.
If you don't think much of the test Scotland were for you, then please spare me your thoughts on Ireland.
Believe me. I've suffered enough.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:13 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

I understand that your expectations are probably a lot higher than mine, when it comes to watching your team.
I take it you didn't subject yourself to watching Scotland v Ireland last Friday.
If you don't think much of the test Scotland were for you, then please spare me your thoughts on Ireland.

As long standing City fans, I think we all know about "suffering" (or the football equivalent of it) but perhaps the mixture of technical excellence and beauty that our beloved team is now capable of delivering (to some extent, even when we're playing badly), has somehow 'conditioned' or spoilt us/me when watching other sides perform.

I'm very critical of the way that England play, with all the deficiencies in both technique and tactics that are frequently shown up and merely bullying a mediocre Scottish team into submission can't, for me, hide the turgid dross that Shrek's stormtroopers are churning out season after season and disappointing tournament after disappointing tournament.

It's not so much losing games, a factor which every team has to cope with, but it's the lack of flair and skill, when compared to others, which stands out so much to me.

We really are now a third rate footballing nation. Nothing can hide that fact and, moreover, there's no excuse for it, given this nation's resources and, dare I say it, 'history'. Teams with far smaller populations and resources than ourselves seem able to produce players who are comfortable on the ball and can pass with a modicum of accuracy, whilst we always seem to fall down in this respect (perhaps it's that dreaded word 'history' which is also at fault here).

I didn't watch the Scotland-Ireland game and I wouldn't want to criticise, unduly, any other national team (although I've dismissed Scotland as being mediocre and rubbish) but I can't believe that, over a given period of time, any side would be as consistently hard to watch as England continually and inexcusably are.

End of tome like rant.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:40 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

As long standing City fans, I think we all know about "suffering" (or the football equivalent of it) but perhaps the mixture of technical excellence and beauty that our beloved team is now capable of delivering (to some extent, even when we're playing badly), has somehow 'conditioned' or spoilt us/me when watching other sides perform.

I'm very critical of the way that England play, with all the deficiencies in both technique and tactics that are frequently shown up and merely bullying a mediocre Scottish team into submission can't, for me, hide the turgid dross that Shrek's stormtroopers are churning out season after season and disappointing tournament after disappointing tournament.

It's not so much losing games, a factor which every team has to cope with, but it's the lack of flair and skill, when compared to others, which stands out so much to me.

We really are now a third rate footballing nation. Nothing can hide that fact and, moreover, there's no excuse for it, given this nation's resources and, dare I say it, 'history'. Teams with far smaller populations and resources than ourselves seem able to produce players who are comfortable on the ball and can pass with a modicum of accuracy, whilst we always seem to fall down in this respect (perhaps it's that dreaded word 'history' which is also at fault here).

I didn't watch the Scotland-Ireland game and I wouldn't want to criticise, unduly, any other national team (although I've dismissed Scotland as being mediocre and rubbish) but I can't believe that, over a given period of time, any side would be as consistently hard to watch as England continually and inexcusably are.

End of tome like rant.

Pretty much bang on that rant, England are poor considering the resources and the fact that its the nations number one sport and will continue to be.
At least the powers that be know that grass roots is where we need to be changing things and are heading in the right direction.

If you want a laugh have a look a the latest FIFA world rankings (oh and Fifa have sold the ranking naming rights to coca cola too!)

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ ... index.html

Greece are above England LMFAO
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:46 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

End of tome like rant.

Ha Ha! That's it get it off your chest. Feels better doesn't it.
Listen, I'm not exactly going to defend England's history in competition. After all I am Irish.
But I'd argue that you are not 3rd tier, maybe 2nd, with potential to improve if lessons are learnt.
We are struggling to stay 3rd tier and with not a lot to encourage me that we can get much better. A lot of that has to do with the resources available, as you have pointed out.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum