International games

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: International games

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:29 pm

We have been blaming our managers for 40 years. Please, no more! The players are not good enough. The squad we took to the World Cup was easily the worst I have seen. I know england are not the worst team in the world but we are a long way short of being contenders.[/quote]

I agree with you. It's all relative. I think that's a realistic evaluation. Your not top tier. You're certainly better than some of the teams you've had over the last 40 years.
I always thought English supporters expected more out of a mediocre bunch than we would over here if we had the same bunch.
You can go far in a tournament with well organised decent players. Ireland reached a world cup quarter final playing a very limited brand of football with a half decent bunch of players. Some people over here still complain that the football was shite though.
Does the end justify the means.
I think you have a bunch of players that could be taken a lot further than they have shown so far. They will not play like Spain/Germany though, no matter how you wish they would.
At least you try to play football.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby South Stand Balti » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:40 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:We have been blaming our managers for 40 years. Please, no more! The players are not good enough. The squad we took to the World Cup was easily the worst I have seen. I know england are not the worst team in the world but we are a long way short of being contenders.

I agree with you. It's all relative. I think that's a realistic evaluation. Your not top tier. You're certainly better than some of the teams you've had over the last 40 years.
I always thought English supporters expected more out of a mediocre bunch than we would over here if we had the same bunch.
You can go far in a tournament with well organised decent players. Ireland reached a world cup quarter final playing a very limited brand of football with a half decent bunch of players. Some people over here still complain that the football was shite though.
Does the end justify the means.
I think you have a bunch of players that could be taken a lot further than they have shown so far. They will not play like Spain/Germany though, no matter how you wish they would.
At least you try to play football.[/quote]
I'm not sure English supporters expect more from the teams that we have had, but the media do . It's a bit unfortunate as it makes us seem arrogant but it's media building up unrealistic expectations. The influx of foreign players does not help. When I was at school the best teams came from the biggest schools....more to choose from. As for the style of football, you don't reach a world cup quarter final without talent as well as spirit.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby City64 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:01 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Advert on the side congratulating Rooney on 100 caps, from Mars Bars.

Probably the next one to appear will be from Benson & Hedges and another from Help The Aged.

Dominoes Pizza ?
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Sideshow Bob » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:06 pm

Fucking hell what a goal from Isco. We NEED to sign this player.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:43 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:I've not been on this forum long, but I've said it a couple of times already. England aren't as bad as some of you make out. Football support is tribal and I think this carries into your support of the national team.
Management is a problem but in general you do have decent players. When I say decent, bear in mind the perspective I'm coming from. Two successive Irish managers have Ireland playing the kind of shite they do, because they just don't trust that we have the players to do anything else.
England has enough players that can play something that resembles football. You've decent youth that needs to be given a chance.
At least you have hope.

I'm looking at this set of players and thinking they can actually do something with the right management. The problem with the England set-up isn't the players or management, it's the money counters behind the scenes who have made a fortune from advising the FA that it's all about money rather than winning. England are now lost to the 'Click' generation and using the media fascination to facilitate future gains.

After the disaster in Brazil, Roynow looks like he's been given the chance to change it but it's a slow process. England will always have good players and should always get to a decent position, it's just a shame that the suits have too much influence.

As for yourself, I can feel your pain. When you look at the Irish team, and what's coming through, it's hard to find a glimmer of light within the dark. Can't say much more than that, it'll depress you more.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby lets all have a disco » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:49 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:Fucking hell what a goal from Isco. We NEED to sign this player.

The boat has sailed on that one im afraid.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Hazy2 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:28 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:Fucking hell what a goal from Isco. We NEED to sign this player.

The boat has sailed on that one im afraid.

50 mill now what a player, his balance is mind boggling. Sad for Manuel he could not pull that one off.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Sideshow Bob » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:25 pm

fellaini has yet again committed criminal assault on a football pitch. an obvious forearm/elbow on a dead run straight into the face of joe allen, who now likely has a broken nose. HOW THE FUCK DOES THIS CUNT GET AWAY WITH IT??
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby zuricity » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:41 pm

bbc website says

"Bale fires just wide after dribble"

Can't believe at his age he has a bladder problem.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby zuricity » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:13 pm

Congrats San Marino , breaking their 61 game losing streak Even if they didn't score.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby nottsblue » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:43 pm

zuricity wrote:Congrats San Marino , breaking their 61 game losing streak Even if they didn't score.

61 game losing streak? Exactly the sort of team that has spoilt Ibternational football. There are far too many pointless games now
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby zuricity » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:51 pm

nottsblue wrote:
zuricity wrote:Congrats San Marino , breaking their 61 game losing streak Even if they didn't score.

61 game losing streak? Exactly the sort of team that has spoilt Ibternational football. There are far too many pointless games now

Ffs a perpetual loser ? be glad they give England the points they need to qualify !

What ever happened to the idea that a small team could come good and do well.

Do we have to always have adidas paid for World cups and Euro Championships ???
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby nottsblue » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:04 pm

zuricity wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

Ffs a perpetual loser ? be glad they give England the points they need to qualify !

What ever happened to the idea that a small team could come good and do well.

Do we have to always have adidas paid for World cups and Euro Championships ???

Just think it would be better if there was a tier system. It would then mean fewer games all round and the grouping of the lower ranked sides might help them improve. Getting battered most games doesn't do anything positive. Maybe playing one another would at least give themselves hope. This format is used in other sports like cricket and rugby to good effect
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:02 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:
I'm not sure English supporters expect more from the teams that we have had, but the media do . It's a bit unfortunate as it makes us seem arrogant but it's media building up unrealistic expectations. The influx of foreign players does not help. When I was at school the best teams came from the biggest schools....more to choose from. As for the style of football, you don't reach a world cup quarter final without talent as well as spirit.

I take your point about the media, but I don't think they really got behind them last summer.
It was like they were betting on them failing and geared their angles in the build up accordingly.
We (Ireland) did have good footballers in 1990, but the criticism from certain quarters was that they were not being allowed to play the type of game they were capable of. Jack Charlton dropped our most creative player, Liam Brady, because he didn't fit his system.
The thing is, whatever side of the argument you were on, you couldn't deny the fact that they were getting results.
Similarly with England last summer.I thought you had players that could have progressed further. I wouldn't have agreed with team selection or tactics, but everyone has their own opinions of that.
If they had got through then Roy would be a genius. You get away with a lot, as a manager, if you're winning.
I do think there is potential in your current crop of players if your manager cuts his cloth to suit his material.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:05 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:

I take your point about the media, but I don't think they really got behind them last summer.
It was like they were betting on them failing and geared their angles in the build up accordingly.
We (Ireland) did have good footballers in 1990, but the criticism from certain quarters was that they were not being allowed to play the type of game they were capable of. Jack Charlton dropped our most creative player, Liam Brady, because he didn't fit his system.
The thing is, whatever side of the argument you were on, you couldn't deny the fact that they were getting results.
Similarly with England last summer.I thought you had players that could have progressed further. I wouldn't have agreed with team selection or tactics, but everyone has their own opinions of that.
If they had got through then Roy would be a genius. You get away with a lot, as a manager, if you're winning.
I do think there is potential in your current crop of players if your manager cuts his cloth to suit his material.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:27 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:I'm looking at this set of players and thinking they can actually do something with the right management. The problem with the England set-up isn't the players or management, it's the money counters behind the scenes who have made a fortune from advising the FA that it's all about money rather than winning. England are now lost to the 'Click' generation and using the media fascination to facilitate future gains.

After the disaster in Brazil, Roynow looks like he's been given the chance to change it but it's a slow process. England will always have good players and should always get to a decent position, it's just a shame that the suits have too much influence.

As for yourself, I can feel your pain. When you look at the Irish team, and what's coming through, it's hard to find a glimmer of light within the dark. Can't say much more than that, it'll depress you more.

I've become immune to it now. I used to go to all the international games but myself and my mate gave up a long time ago. Not because the team weren't winning, but we got fed up with the treatment of the fans by the FAI. They had a golden era where anything to do with the Irish team was like a license to print money and they fleeced us at every opportunity and have left us with absolutely nothing to show for it.
Instead of building on it Irish football had gone backwards. They squandered the money and put no investment into grassroots. You wouldnt believe the money the CEO is on.
Still mustn't grumble.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:27 pm

I think Ireland have done really well over the years, to be so competitive, considering the league over there.

We, on the other hand, have made an almighty fuckup of it. When you consider how many clubs we have, how many people following the game, you look how long we have had to wake up & realise how football can be played, how many lessons we have been taught without learning anything.

And now just as it seems we are finally turning the corner, we have a TV executive in charge of the FA, who has got together with people like Danny Mills, to try & think of some drastic way to fuck it all up again.

Just to add: Scotland have had the same kind of old school fuckwits running things over there, & have barely produced a decent player in 25 years. No doubt that is all down to foreigners as well..
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:52 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:I think Ireland have done really well over the years, to be so competitive, considering the league over there.

We, on the other hand, have made an almighty fuckup of it. When you consider how many clubs we have, how many people following the game, you look how long we have had to wake up & realise how football can be played, how many lessons we have been taught without learning anything.

And now just as it seems we are finally turning the corner, we have a TV executive in charge of the FA, who has got together with people like Danny Mills, to try & think of some drastic way to fuck it all up again.

Just to add: Scotland have had the same kind of old school fuckwits running things over there, & have barely produced a decent player in 25 years. No doubt that is all down to foreigners as well..

That's a TV executive noted for having introduced a tabloid-type ethos into television in this country. The FA is effectively being run by Roland fucking Rat.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby dick dastardley » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:08 am

all the rooney bulshit before the game on saturday was stomach churning, 1 world cup goal is an embarassment to the FA and English football the media are hypocritical wankers.
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:39 am

dick dastardley wrote:all the rooney bulshit before the game on saturday was stomach churning, 1 world cup goal is an embarassment to the FA and English football the media are hypocritical wankers.

Just wait until the cunt breaks the appearance and goal records...which looks inevitable now...a soft qualifying group, more friendlies, more tap ins, and now being captain hes immune from being dropped..even more immune than he was before.
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum