Why Guardiola?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Why Guardiola?

Postby Tokyo Blue » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:43 pm

He's got quite a decent record as a manager.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Dameerto » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:20 pm

And Hitler was a little bit suspect when it came to human rights.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:41 pm

Thanks for the input everyone.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby zuricity » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:57 pm

Why indeed ?

Did this guy build Barcelona ? Bayern Munchen ?

These clubs were going to be pushing for the titles whoever is in charge.

Do you really think pep could make Clichy or Kola defend any better than they do ? Ffs , Bobby struggled there and Pellegrini has no idea.

Will Pep get Kun to pass instead of being so greedy?

Will he drop Yaya? Nah ....

Will he really stop David taking corners ?

Sorry, will he really take time out to improve David's game, by showing him how to take corners ?

I doubt it. Cos these things need to be fixed.

I don't think we need to change personnel , we need to make our players better.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby john68 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:53 am

Zurich,

When a team is failing, there are usually a number of reasons, of which the quality of the manager/coach is just one.

Quite some time ago, I said that we should always be aware that there may be a time when the interests of our owners might be at odds somewhat with the interests of City fans. I am fully convinced that this is the core reason (there may be others) for the downturn in our form.

The whole basis of our game is about quick passing on attack and quick pressing when we want to get possession. Our gameplan requires full backs tearing up and down the line being both defenders and pseudo wingers. The very essence of our strategy requires energy and stamina...tons of it.

Our coaching and sports science people would have been well aware that a long hard season needed to be followed by a rest. They would have known that many of our World Cup players would need recovery time and a properly organised pre-season programme.

Because of our owners decisions to put their commercial interests first, at the expense of the football. Our players aren't suddenly poor players, they are quite simply lethargic and unable to keep the pace that they set last season.

(I amaze myself sometimes) :-)
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Hazy2 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:12 am

john68 wrote:Zurich,

When a team is failing, there are usually a number of reasons, of which the quality of the manager/coach is just one.

Quite some time ago, I said that we should always be aware that there may be a time when the interests of our owners might be at odds somewhat with the interests of City fans. I am fully convinced that this is the core reason (there may be others) for the downturn in our form.

The whole basis of our game is about quick passing on attack and quick pressing when we want to get possession. Our gameplan requires full backs tearing up and down the line being both defenders and pseudo wingers. The very essence of our strategy requires energy and stamina...tons of it.

Our coaching and sports science people would have been well aware that a long hard season needed to be followed by a rest. They would have known that many of our World Cup players would need recovery time and a properly organised pre-season programme.

Because of our owners decisions to put their commercial interests first, at the expense of the football. Our players aren't suddenly poor players, they are quite simply lethargic and unable to keep the pace that they set last season.

Hmm not sure all of that ticks the boxes mate, Bayern have most of the World Cup winners in the squad, he has continued where they finished last season, same with Madrid after securing the Holy grail,players like Lham, Ronaldo have a big appetite for success and mangers who can make decisions that are palatable.We seem to have previous for clocking off after a tough season.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby City64 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:46 am

Oh right that explains why Yaya has spent most of this season standinding around doing fuck all a lot, all our defenders even the fresh ones defending like shit and managerial tactical fuck ups in the CL in a nutshell then ........
Meanwhile Bayern , Madrid and Chelski go from strength to strength relentlessly .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby zuricity » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:32 am

You are correct John, it is too easy to lose sight of the context in which managers operate.Guardiola is hailed as the possible solution to a problem we don't yet have.

The PL and FA cup.are still to play for. I doubt that we could get any further in Europe this season, but who knows.

Clearly many players are not performing , but we have had a tough start to the season and the build up to the xmas period ,is on paper easier than the program so far.

The pounding heart tgat Kun gave us should teach us to be patient fans and never ever give up.However the first blip and some fans become overactive .

Personally, i would like to see if Guardiola can build a team rather than inherit one and take it further.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Hazy2 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:53 am

zuricity wrote:

You are correct John, it is too easy to lose sight of the context in which managers operate.Guardiola is hailed as the possible solution to a problem we don't yet have.

The PL and FA cup.are still to play for. I doubt that we could get any further in Europe this season, but who knows.

Clearly many players are not performing , but we have had a tough start to the season and the build up to the xmas period ,is on paper easier than the program so far.

The pounding heart tgat Kun gave us should teach us to be patient fans and never ever give up.However the first blip and some fans become overactive .

Personally, i would like to see if Guardiola can build a team rather than inherit one and take it further.

Vinny, said it in his Twitter reply to Piers Morgan, It is not about the money, it is about the trophies. Players love winning trophies as does Guardiola, who relates to great players as he was one, I remember he fell out with Ibra during his 12 months at Barca, The player was used to being THE top dog.

Guardiola treated him as an employee and part of the greatest group ever at Barca, employed to bring trophies to the fans of Barca, Ibra, is now top dog at PSG, the world revolves around him, He has the perfect home, Pep brings players to common thinking or they hissy fit and he tells the club to move them on Robben and Ribery are players who could have gone the other way, but seem to get it as they work like Xavi and Iniesta all be it a different position on the pitch. A great maNanger who can make great players better. BTW Ibra was IMHO fantastic at Barca he just hated being a team player and not TD.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby zuricity » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:04 am

Hazy2 wrote:
zuricity wrote:

Vinny, said it in his Twitter reply to Piers Morgan, It is not about the money, it is about the trophies. Players love winning trophies as does Guardiola, who relates to great players as he was one, I remember he fell out with Ibra during his 12 months at Barca, The player was used to being THE top dog.

Guardiola treated him as an employee and part of the greatest group ever at Barca, employed to bring trophies to the fans of Barca, Ibra, is now top dog at PSG, the world revolves around him, He has the perfect home, Pep brings players to common thinking or they hissy fit and he tells the club to move them on Robben and Ribery are players who could have gone the other way, but seem to get it as they work like Xavi and Iniesta all be it a different position on the pitch. A great maNanger who can make great players better. BTW Ibra was IMHO fantastic at Barca he just hated being a team player and not TD.

Xavi and Iniesta were doing these things before Pep.

So too Ribery and Robben at Bayern .

There is nothing extra these guys are showing because of pep.They have performed well at Bayern ever since they joined.Btw Robben was ,is and will always be a diver !

You could argue like at the rags with Fergie that he saw the decline( too strong) or slacking coming at Barca when he took his sabbatical.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:25 am

Dameerto wrote:And Hitler was a little bit suspect when it came to human rights.

Almost as much as Stalin.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:08 am

I'm quite happy with what Pellers has done so far and if he turns it around then I can't see Gladiola coming anywhere near our club in the short term. He suits Bayern down to the ground where he doesn't really have to worry about winning the league and can concentrate his efforts on the CL, even easier than he had it at Barca.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:10 am

Guardiola will probably never have to build a side from scratch & why should he ? You don't tell Michael Schumaker to put a gearbox together, you give him the car, ask him how & where it needs improving, then he drives it..

He is a proven operator at the elite end of football management. A legend who changed the face of football, so much so that even England's coaches are now trying to get kids to pass the ball to each other. That's the influence of his Barca team, making argument futile. His team was the backbone of the Spanish World Cup winning team. As soon as he went, then so did Spain; to pieces.

He will expect to be given what he needs for the job, then he adjusts the squad to his liking, does his stuff, & when he feels he's run out of ideas, he doesn't hang around like a bad smell wasting a club's money, he fucks off.

Bayern were an excellent team before him, but they weren't that team we saw at the Etihad. That was something else entirely. And the patched up team which beat us earlier this season, was something totally different, proving he can change & fight fires if he has to.

I rate Pellegrini, but I recon if you swapped managers around for that game City win. Guardiola will insist on that level of workrate from our players & we had more talent on the pitch than they did.

I hope he struggles to fire them up for the return game, as they have nothing to play for.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Hazy2 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:35 pm

zuricity wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
zuricity wrote:

Xavi and Iniesta were doing these things before Pep.

So too Ribery and Robben at Bayern .

There is nothing extra these guys are showing because of pep.They have performed well at Bayern ever since they joined.Btw Robben was ,is and will always be a diver !

You could argue like at the rags with Fergie that he saw the decline( too strong) or slacking coming at Barca when he took his sabbatical.

Xavi was not even rated by Rykard, Iniesta was breaking in and highly rated, Both the Bayern players have got on board as opposed to the likes of Ibra, Nuer is now a footballer, he was a boom it 100 meters before, Pep sees it before most and would offer us the perfect cure for Jose plus the club would grow, he is determined to play and a magnet for the nearly signed players IMHO. For the record I like Pellers I just hope he is the man holding the fort before Pep, if the premier league is the next stop for him, I do not see past his team for a long time, I also think put him in London with Arsenal we might regret that as well as lose a Paddy, as he does like club men and it could be perfect with Our accadamy back ground and Gunners blood , both clubs would be breaking necks to get him imo.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby zuricity » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:24 pm

Iniesta ? made his debut in 2002.... under Van Khaaaallll of all people. Pep didn't take over until 2008. A good six years establishing the Barca way I think.
Xavi made his debut in 1998 .

Also, I've never thought of Neuer as a goalie in the Trad mode of lumping the ball up front. Even when he was at Schalke 04. Although all goalies do it at some time or other.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Hazy2 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:43 pm

zuricity wrote:Iniesta ? made his debut in 2002.... under Van Khaaaallll of all people. Pep didn't take over until 2008. A good six years establishing the Barca way I think.
Xavi made his debut in 1998 .

Also, I've never thought of Neuer as a goalie in the Trad mode of lumping the ball up front. Even when he was at Schalke 04. Although all goalies do it at some time or other.

Listen not trying to be smart here from Xavi
"The truth was that for a long chunk of my career, when it looked like I was the successor to Pep Guardiola in midfield, I was made to feel like an outsider, a bad guy for taking over from the legendary captain. Nuer has matured under two great coaches under pep he is a far better sweeper keeper. Iniesta well alwyays gonna be the best player ever in that role.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Hazy2 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:06 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Guardiola will probably never have to build a side from scratch & why should he ? You don't tell Michael Schumaker to put a gearbox together, you give him the car, ask him how & where it needs improving, then he drives it..

He is a proven operator at the elite end of football management. A legend who changed the face of football, so much so that even England's coaches are now trying to get kids to pass the ball to each other. That's the influence of his Barca team, making argument futile. His team was the backbone of the Spanish World Cup winning team. As soon as he went, then so did Spain; to pieces.

He will expect to be given what he needs for the job, then he adjusts the squad to his liking, does his stuff, & when he feels he's run out of ideas, he doesn't hang around like a bad smell wasting a club's money, he fucks off.

Bayern were an excellent team before him, but they weren't that team we saw at the Etihad. That was something else entirely. And the patched up team which beat us earlier this season, was something totally different, proving he can change & fight fires if he has to.

I rate Pellegrini, but I recon if you swapped managers around for that game City win. Guardiola will insist on that level of workrate from our players & we had more talent on the pitch than they did.

I hope he struggles to fire them up for the return game, as they have nothing to play for.

Top post, and would have had Joleon like concrete next to Vinny, he makes the game simple, I saw what he did with Puyol a very small centre half who worked like a demon to stay with the changes and carried coward Pique.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:21 pm

I used to watch Rijkaad's team on tv pretty much every single game they played, & there was as much similarity between them & Pep's Barca, as their is between Brian Horton's City & Pellegrini's City ie: fucking none whatsoever.

That side was fantastic for a period, & imo more entertaining than the majority of Pep's games, because they were all about inspiration from Ronaldinho (who imo was even better than Messi at times) & were permanently fucking wide open.

They didn't press, they just left Puyol etc to sort it out. They were brilliant with the ball, & fucking terrible without it but just won games by sheer attacking brilliance. Iniesta & Xavi were not the big figures in those years compared to people like Ronaldinho or even Deco. The genius partnership of him & Xavi was nothing remotely as influential as the one we saw under Pep. Messi was a promising but inferior alternative to Ronaldinho.

It was more about brilliant forwards than midfield; Ronaldinho, Eto, etc.

Ronaldinho pressing in the oppo half !!?? Previous to that, they had Patrick fucking Kluivert !!? 6 seconds for Partick to get the ball back ? Six fucking months & a truckload of cheese pies more like !

Pep takes over the B team, then moves up to th first team & they become the best team in the world without the ball, instantly. As do Spain.

The 'Barca way' ten years earlier, was fast attacking play with quite a lot of direct ball. So no similarity there either.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Hazy2 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:54 pm

A bit like us,for the record I only have one gripe, it is the unfair in some ways, but I do not get how we ditch our normal trusted game, like last week, we are flakey and the worst or best teams latch onto that, QPR and the 90 mins of chaos was a worry to me. Bayern would run up a cricket score if we breakdown like that. Going back to Rykard his last game was winning the Champions league final. His time was up.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby MilnersJaw » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:39 pm

if we want to win the champs league with our current squad we would need a manager like pep or bourinho tbh.
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silver

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum