Why Guardiola?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Why Guardiola?

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:17 am

A genuine question: What are the links between us and Guardiola? I can't remember seeing anything substantial more than Soriano and Cheeky know him, which seems a bit like the type of transfer link where a player might move to a club because he knows another player there, which basically never happens, IMO. Have I missed something, like a statement or something between the lines that is obvious re Guardiola? Or are people just assuming? There seems to be a lot of certainty about Pep coming here eventually and I don't understand why. Help me, you're my only hope.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Re: Why Guardiola?

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:20 am

Cocacolajojo wrote:A genuine question: What are the links between us and Guardiola? I can't remember seeing anything substantial more than Soriano and Cheeky know him, which seems a bit like the type of transfer link where a player might move to a club because he knows another player there, which basically never happens, IMO. Have I missed something, like a statement or something between the lines that is obvious re Guardiola? Or are people just assuming? There seems to be a lot of certainty about Pep coming here eventually and I don't understand why. Help me, you're my only hope.

Pure speculation and putting 2 and 2 together. I see in the press this morning that Simeone is being lined up now!! Its press hacks, you know the drill, they wont say Alan Curbishley is on the short list as that will not get any clicks on their stories.

Links they like to give are:
Pep knows Cheeky
Pep knows Soriana
Pep has a great relationship as they all grew together in Barcelona
Pep plays football the way they want City to play
Pep speaks perfect English
yada yada yada
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:26 am

Cheeky gave Guardiola his break. It was him that recommended Guardiola get the first team job at Barca when he was DOF there and as you know, they went on to create one of the best teams European football has ever seen.

Rather than it being a link where two players know each other, it's more like a link of a coach having worked with a player before and they share a mutual respect and understanding eg Pellegrini and Demichelis if you like.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby AntMcfc » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:27 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Cocacolajojo wrote:A genuine question: What are the links between us and Guardiola? I can't remember seeing anything substantial more than Soriano and Cheeky know him, which seems a bit like the type of transfer link where a player might move to a club because he knows another player there, which basically never happens, IMO. Have I missed something, like a statement or something between the lines that is obvious re Guardiola? Or are people just assuming? There seems to be a lot of certainty about Pep coming here eventually and I don't understand why. Help me, you're my only hope.

Pure speculation and putting 2 and 2 together. I see in the press this morning that Simeone is being lined up now!! Its press hacks, you know the drill, they wont say Alan Curbishley is on the short list as that will not get any clicks on their stories.

Links they like to give are:
Pep knows Cheeky
Pep knows Soriana
Pep has a great relationship as they all grew together in Barcelona
Pep plays football the way they want City to play
Pep speaks perfect English
yada yada yada

Such reasoning is exactly why he is the favourite for the job.
AntMcfc
Robinho's Step Over

My favourite player is: Yaya/Aguero/Totti/Busi

Postby RodneyRodney » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:38 am

Another good reason : stop the mob down the road getting him.
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:45 am

To cement the club through every age group through to the 1st team, the manager options for that are very limited. 10 year contract for me and watch the blue moon rise.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Goaters 103 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:04 am

When Mancini was manager we were perennially linked with players from Seria A and bought a few too - notably Balotelli, Nastasic, Maicon to name three - along with the every window yawn-fest of being linked to Ibrahimovic and De Rossi (thank god that's stopped now). Mancini was Italian and knew the Italian league, hence the natural co-dependency.

Same think with Pep here. Our hierarchy are Spanish/Catalan, with significant experience working at Barcelona; so is Pep - sometimes it is that obvious, and just because its blindingly obvious doesn't make it any less true.

Our two Spanish power brokers would crawl 15 miles over broken glass, just for the chance to stick matchsticks in Peps turds.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:20 am

Goaters 103 wrote:When Mancini was manager we were perennially linked with players from Seria A and bought a few too - notably Balotelli, Nastasic, Maicon to name three - along with the every window yawn-fest of being linked to Ibrahimovic and De Rossi (thank god that's stopped now). Mancini was Italian and knew the Italian league, hence the natural co-dependency.

Same think with Pep here. Our hierarchy are Spanish/Catalan, with significant experience working at Barcelona; so is Pep - sometimes it is that obvious, and just because its blindingly obvious doesn't make it any less true.

Our two Spanish power brokers would crawl 15 miles over broken glass, just for the chance to stick matchsticks in Peps turds.

If he joined Arsenal, the scum would they be looking for another job?
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Goaters 103 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:30 am

Hazy2 wrote:
Goaters 103 wrote:When Mancini was manager we were perennially linked with players from Seria A and bought a few too - notably Balotelli, Nastasic, Maicon to name three - along with the every window yawn-fest of being linked to Ibrahimovic and De Rossi (thank god that's stopped now). Mancini was Italian and knew the Italian league, hence the natural co-dependency.

Nope, because just like City buying De Rossi or City buying Ibra, its about 90% plus chance it never happens anyway, but its a default story the press will go to again and again on quiet news days when they need to fill column space. Similar ones are the Ronaldo back to Utd, or Spurs being taken over stories that are on a constant press loop.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:52 am

They are on record as saying how highly they rate Pep. Basically they think the bloke is 'a genius'.

Mourinho was interviewed for the Barca job, but they chose instead to give it to a bloke who had barely any experience, & they were right. Now, the whole City setup below first team level is being run on the same lines as Barca, pre Pep. It's nailed on they would have wanted him at City, but the timing was all wrong.

BUT, if we were replicating what happened at Barca, then it would actually be Vieira who came up to the first team, alongside a bunch of the academy players, in a few years time. The question is whether they rate Vieira as highly as they do Pep. If they don't, then they will almost certainly be trying to get him in when his Bayern contract runs out. People who know Guardiola recon he will do one 'intense' spell at Bayern, then move to England.

If his plan is to do a similar spell in England, then it could easily be the case that both him & Vieira end up managing City.

If i had to guess, I'd go Bayern-City-Spain national team.

We will have a good idea in the next year or so, as Bayern would surely want him to extend his contract. If he does, it obviously all over for the time being. If he doesn't; would Txiki want him managing the rags, or Arsenal or rather get him at City ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:23 am

Cheeky gave Guardiola his break. It was him that recommended Guardiola get the first team job at Barca when he was DOF there and as you know, they went on to create one of the best teams European football has ever seen.

I thought it was Cruyff who recommended Guardiola. Perhaps I am wrong.

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Plain Speaking » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:27 am

Which ever PL club Pep goes he will want to know he has the players/finance to challenge and exceed his bitter rival Mourinho.

Unless their are major changes regarding FFP, could the rags potentially offer him more finance than ourselves? Despite their debts they have been able to spend big and are likely to continue doing so.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:28 am

Cocacolajojo wrote:

I thought it was Cruyff who recommended Guardiola. Perhaps I am wrong.

"Would you see Manchester City as your strongest opponent in the group, is that fair to say?

Manchester City has a super, super coach and I know him very well, Pellegrini. Their Director of Sport Txiki Bergiristain is (one of) the more special persons of my life. He gave me the challenge to train the second team of Barcelona and after that the first team and I think he's one of the smartest guys in football around the world."

http://news.adidas.com/GLOBAL/Latest-Ne ... 0fe6aca94a
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:40 am

"Would you see Manchester City as your strongest opponent in the group, is that fair to say?

Manchester City has a super, super coach and I know him very well, Pellegrini. Their Director of Sport Txiki Bergiristain is (one of) the more special persons of my life. He gave me the challenge to train the second team of Barcelona and after that the first team and I think he's one of the smartest guys in football around the world."

Fair enough, that's straight from the horse's mouth.

I was thinking of this, which doesn't really contradict your point, from Balague's biography on Guardiola

"In early november, Pep's name was eventually raised at a board meeting by one of the directors, proposting that Rijkaard be replaced by the B tam coach. However, Txiki Beguiristain was opposed to plunging Pep into the middle of a crisis at the halfway stage of the season: too much too soon fora relatively inexperienced coach

Not everyone agreed with Thiki. Johan Cruyff became concinced that there was no way back for the first team nad that a change was needed. After ruling out Marco van Basten ... Cruyff met with Thiki to discuss Pep's potentia. The former Dream Team coach then went to see how Guardiola was doing, visting him at the Mini Estadi to take the measure of Pep and the B team, before having lunch with him to talk football. Later, Cruyff sent a message to Laporta: 'Pep is ready. He sees football with absolute clarity'."

http://books.google.se/books?id=FdVABn_ ... la&f=false

Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:43 am

Cocacolajojo wrote:

Fair enough, that's straight from the horse's mouth.

I was thinking of this, which doesn't really contradict your point, from Balague's biography on Guardiola

"In early november, Pep's name was eventually raised at a board meeting by one of the directors, proposting that Rijkaard be replaced by the B tam coach. However, Txiki Beguiristain was opposed to plunging Pep into the middle of a crisis at the halfway stage of the season: too much too soon fora relatively inexperienced coach

Not everyone agreed with Thiki. Johan Cruyff became concinced that there was no way back for the first team nad that a change was needed. After ruling out Marco van Basten ... Cruyff met with Thiki to discuss Pep's potentia. The former Dream Team coach then went to see how Guardiola was doing, visting him at the Mini Estadi to take the measure of Pep and the B team, before having lunch with him to talk football. Later, Cruyff sent a message to Laporta: 'Pep is ready. He sees football with absolute clarity'."

http://books.google.se/books?id=FdVABn_ ... la&f=false

A lot more romantic isn't it?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:45 am

Yes, I imagine it must have been, although we'll never know if Cruyff called him back.

Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:05 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

Nope, because just like City buying De Rossi or City buying Ibra, its about 90% plus chance it never happens anyway, but its a default story the press will go to again and again on quiet news days when they need to fill column space. Similar ones are the Ronaldo back to Utd, or Spurs being taken over stories that are on a constant press loop.

Pep will move on from the Munchens IMHO if he rocks up anywhere but us then we will see change at the top.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:37 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:Yes, I imagine it must have been, although we'll never know if Cruyff called him back.

he may have, but Peps voicemail went....."OLAAAAAAAAAAAAA PEP HRE LEAVE A MESSAGE" and Cruyff thought I couldnt work with him
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:49 pm

I have already mentioned it on here, but will do so again: Txiki interviewed Mourinho for the Barca job, & instead chose Guardiola.

Not Cruyff: Txiki.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby lets all have a disco » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:41 pm

If Cheeks can get Pep he will.

FACT
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco