january window

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: january window

Postby Green & Blue » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:10 pm

RodneyRodney wrote:Pogba. Also Cabaye , not happy @ PSG

Cabbage-eye would be a bad move he's good one day and shite the next.I think Pogba would be worthwhile looking at he's a serious talent, the rags would be like dogs if we got hold of him.

I just really hope that if we are doing business City are sure the players they are after are going to improve on what we already have, otherwise what's the point.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby blues2win » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:49 am

One or two stories we might be in for Jay Rodriguez belatedly to replace Negredo presumably. I can't see Everton selling Barkley mid season although they might agree to shave the price in return for an early transfer window deal. It's all very well having a bidding war but if they don't get the money till late in the transfer window it's very hard to spend it sensibly to fill what will be a very big hole.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:14 am

I may be in a minority, but I wouldn't want Jay Rodriguez on a free transfer. Lallana is miles better than him, & I wouldn't want him on a similar deal.

Both would just take wages & bring down the standard of our team.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby twosips » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:37 am

I'm with you on that. Decent player at best - I expect him to end up at Spurs or sumat. We've got better prospects in our youth teams.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:56 am

twosips wrote:I'm with you on that. Decent player at best - I expect him to end up at Spurs or sumat. We've got better prospects in our youth teams.

From what we've got at each age level down to the young kids, if we don't produce at least ten better attacking players than him over the next ten years, I'll be gutted.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby blues2win » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:17 pm

Fair point about Rodriguez Ted but I suppose if we're going to bring someone in in January it will likely be a forward to replace Negredo. If not Rodriguez who? I doubt Iheanachu is a possibility because of work permit issues. Bony?
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby twosips » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:09 pm

blues2win wrote:Fair point about Rodriguez Ted but I suppose if we're going to bring someone in in January it will likely be a forward to replace Negredo. If not Rodriguez who? I doubt Iheanachu is a possibility because of work permit issues. Bony?

If we can't get anyone who's gonna improve the squad we don't sign anyone. We've seen what happens when we sign players for the sake of signing players - Rodwell, Sinclair etc. Bony isn't good enough either imo. Just a decent player but doesn't have star quality.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:17 pm

The transfer policy will be partly influenced by our need to keep up our quota of English players. We could do with Jimmy and Joe signing up.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby nottsblue » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:27 pm

By January we will have a clearer picture of whether we are still in with a realistic challenge for the title and what happened to our European campaign.

If we have fallen further behind Chelsea and are out of Europe altogether, unless we can get our primary targets, (that will have already been identified by the way), then I doubt very much we will do business. Much less waste time and money on the likes of Jay Rodriguez or Wilfried Bony. Neither is better than we either have or potentially will have coming through in a couple of years.

I can see us spending big if FFP allows, but only on someone we really want. I'd personally love to see Reus as he is pacy, scores goals, is direct and can play wide or as a 10. I'd also love to see Pogba. Strong in the tackle, loves to get forward and has a great engine. Plus it would royally piss off the rags as a little bonus. Two big signings might be too much for FFP, we shall see. It will probably depend on our yearly figures. If the money men think we will turn in a profit then you never know.

Also with rumours of Madrid wanting to offload Bale and them in need of funds to extend their stadium, maybe a cheeky bid as part of the stadium loan deal?

Getting these types of players in January is rare though, so I think ultimatel'll be a quiet month. Maybe if we are lucky we will offload some of the deadwood, Sinclair, Nastastic to name two.
nottsblue

My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby PeterParker » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:27 pm

Why Rodriguez? I would rather give Sinclar a go.

I don't know, but for me it looks like we are buying in a chaotic way, like we did in the summer after we won the league the first time. I am looking at the squad and we need at least 3 top players and i mean top players and that will be around 70 mil. Do we really are able to do that right now? No.

I can't believe that i am saying this, but i think we would had gone after Sanchez, instead of letting Arsenal make the move. I always disliked him and was convinced he was overrated, but he would had been class for us.

So, we need a top quality striker and a winger. A midfielder depends if we will sell Cakeville. Pogba looks the most obvious choice for us at the moment, while Barkley, even if i like him a lot, would be madness.

If i was in charge of the money City have to spend, i would buy Eriksen and loan a striker or buy a cheap one, but class (Huntelaar). We need reinforcements in this winter, or the Count will get the sack.

Sell Negredo and Yaya, plus give 60 mil for transfers in the summer and you have 100 mil. With that money, Reus and Pogba are ours.

Regarding Barkley, i like him a lot, but like you lot, 60 mil for a sicknote? No way, no way on earth.
Last edited by PeterParker on Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Moonchesteri » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:36 pm

twosips wrote:
blues2win wrote:Fair point about Rodriguez Ted but I suppose if we're going to bring someone in in January it will likely be a forward to replace Negredo. If not Rodriguez who? I doubt Iheanachu is a possibility because of work permit issues. Bony?

If we can't get anyone who's gonna improve the squad we don't sign anyone. We've seen what happens when we sign players for the sake of signing players - Rodwell, Sinclair etc. Bony isn't good enough either imo. Just a decent player but doesn't have star quality.

I sure hope this is the case. IMO we should only sign players who go to starting lineup, not any back ups
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby twosips » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:42 pm

Yep. We're reaching the point now where back ups should be made up of current players who have lost their place in the first team cos the new signings are better or youth team players who are ready. We shouldn't be signing squad players really.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:42 pm

nottsblue wrote:Also with rumours of Madrid wanting to offload Bale and them in need of funds to extend their stadium, maybe a cheeky bid as part of the stadium loan deal?

i wouldn't be at all surprised if this has not been discussed
hopefully, isco was part of the same conversation...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:46 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:
twosips wrote:

I sure hope this is the case. IMO we should only sign players who go to starting lineup, not any back ups

Agreed. World class level talent who can scare the shit out of opponents. Jay fucking Rodriguez....fucl me.

Barkley I'd have in a shot. He's injured because like Silva has been at times... He's the main cunt at Everton. Put some thugs on him and if you can man mark him out of the game you have a chance. In a City side he'd draw a little less attention and less clattering IMHO. Every time I've watched him I covet him. Not just during his bald phase either.

Wrt pogba I can't see him coming. Juve would be full on retard letting him go. They can't buy half that player even with the dosh they'd get for him.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:54 pm

Imo, if we're a bit off the pace one season, we shouldn't react by panicking trying to fix it. Just continue to build the team, & club, as per the original plan. This happens, & it will do again from time to time.

We have a very strong squad now if everyone is fit & firing. The manager won a double last season & the team scored a record number of goals. Nobody seems to hate each other, nothing is so terrible that it can't be turned around this season or next season. We have strengthened an area where we needed to imo, even though it may not seem like that right now. We need to strengthen a couple more areas & perhaps we just need to change a couple of players purely to freshen up the squad. But it doesn't have to be done for this season. No need for any panic buying. We can look at it.

Of course if a player became available who we thought could make the difference this season, then it would be worth trying to do a deal, but only if they are top quality. It would be pretty shite if we signed 2nd tier players then found out Messi wanted a move in the summer & we'd spent the difference on Bony or Rodriguez.

A veteran on loan or a player with talent who isn't featuring in his team could be another option for this season. Lampard has worked out brilliantly, even if he never plays another game for us. There may be others around.

I recon we are probably after Reus, but for next summer. Some rumours suggest he isn't a fan of Bayern at all & the deal with them is not so cut & dried as has been suggested.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby blues2win » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:28 pm

The argument that we should get a forward is that we'd be desperately short if two strikers got injured at the same time. A fourth striker doesn't need to be a world beater, just a proven premiership striker who can do a decent job if called upon ie work really hard, make a real nuisance to the opposition defence opening things up for others and obviously popping in with a few goals as well. It might make the difference between the League or falling short. Still I don't feel strongly about this. Aguero's fantastic Dzeko has proved his worth if he can be persuaded to pull his finger out more regularly and I still believe Jovetic has more to show than he has so far. Next window Reus would be great, Barkley would add badly needed athleticism to our midfield and Isco wouldn't be a bad shout either if we can forgive him for going to Real which personally I can. We're not going to get all three or if we do some sales would be needed eg Nasri and Yaya.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:33 pm

blues2win wrote:The argument that we should get a forward is that we'd be desperately short if two strikers got injured at the same time. A fourth striker doesn't need to be a world beater, just a proven premiership striker who can do a decent job if called upon ie work really hard, make a real nuisance to the opposition defence opening things up for others and obviously popping in with a few goals as well. It might make the difference between the League or falling short. Still I don't feel strongly about this. Aguero's fantastic Dzeko has proved his worth if he can be persuaded to pull his finger out more regularly and I still believe Jovetic has more to show than he has so far. Next window Reus would be great, Barkley would add badly needed athleticism to our midfield and Isco wouldn't be a bad shout either if we can forgive him for going to Real which personally I can. We're not going to get all three or if we do some sales would be needed eg Nasri and Yaya.

I'm a firm believer in 4 strikers, but I wouldn't want to sign some no mark just to fill the hole. Rather use Devante Cole.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hazy2 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:16 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
blues2win wrote:The argument that we should get a forward is that we'd be desperately short if two strikers got injured at the same time. A fourth striker doesn't need to be a world beater, just a proven premiership striker who can do a decent job if called upon ie work really hard, make a real nuisance to the opposition defence opening things up for others and obviously popping in with a few goals as well. It might make the difference between the League or falling short. Still I don't feel strongly about this. Aguero's fantastic Dzeko has proved his worth if he can be persuaded to pull his finger out more regularly and I still believe Jovetic has more to show than he has so far. Next window Reus would be great, Barkley would add badly needed athleticism to our midfield and Isco wouldn't be a bad shout either if we can forgive him for going to Real which personally I can. We're not going to get all three or if we do some sales would be needed eg Nasri and Yaya.

I'm a firm believer in 4 strikers, but I wouldn't want to sign some no mark just to fill the hole. Rather use Devante Cole.

The next 3 games for me shape a lot of things, including Jan 15.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Green & Blue » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:18 pm

If Bale is being offloaded id be very surprised but if that's true we should be going all out to get him here.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:45 pm

If all the perceived speculation with regard to Pellegrini's tenure is correct and his position is to be reviewed at the end of the season, I can't see the 'powers that be' countenancing any undue or meaningless purchases in January.

If they are of a certainty of mind to get rid of him, they surely would be saving up the cash for the new man to spend next summer or, at least, I would have thought so.

Perhaps we might only see some players leaving in the transfer window, to help free up future funds.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum