the fifa corruption report

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: the fifa corruption report

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:06 pm

Good point
And the answer is; no, not really
Play along or lose, same as the Premier League financial game.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:29 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:Just as an aside to the report, the Qataris are obviously following this news avidly through their media outlets (which stick to reporting facts not opinions), yet in their zeal to be persecuted muslims (of course it's all a conspiracy by the west) keep commenting that they are vindicated by these reports. Now their innocence about FIFA's workings clearly knows no bounds, but aside from that, it seems that the locals along with much of the rest of the world are completely missing the point that the world's criticism should be about FIFA facilitating bribery, rather than them paying the asking price.

So a couple of questions for you all:
Does anyone on here actually blame Qatar and Russia for paying the price asked?
Does anyone genuinely think Qatar and Russia are the villains in all this, any more than England, Australia or US?

i blame only FIFA and the US and England for not getting their cocks out properly to get these tourneys so that the gravy train could continue unabated and without all this spoil sport stuff that's turning into a fucking Dan Brown novel.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:27 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:Just as an aside to the report, the Qataris are obviously following this news avidly through their media outlets (which stick to reporting facts not opinions), yet in their zeal to be persecuted muslims (of course it's all a conspiracy by the west) keep commenting that they are vindicated by these reports. Now their innocence about FIFA's workings clearly knows no bounds, but aside from that, it seems that the locals along with much of the rest of the world are completely missing the point that the world's criticism should be about FIFA facilitating bribery, rather than them paying the asking price.

Does anyone genuinely think Qatar and Russia are the villains in all this, any more than England, Australia or US?

Yes, I blame the Qataris for paying the asking price, as I do the Russians. They help, along with other nations, to keep this corrupt administration going. The real villains are, of course, FIFA, an organisation seemingly beyond the law.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby PrezIke » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:34 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:shocking developments. no one could have seen this coming!

Fifa ethics investigator Michael Garcia loses appeal against ethics summary

The Fifa ethics investigator, Michael Garcia, has lost his appeal against the findings that cleared Qatar and Russia to host the 2022 and 2018 World Cups.

Garcia last month claimed a statement by the Fifa ethics judge, Hans-Joachim Eckert, on his report into bidding for the World Cups had contained “numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations of the facts and conclusions” and announced he would appeal.

That appeal has now been declared inadmissible by Fifa’s appeals committee, which said Eckert’s statement was not a legally binding decision and therefore could not be appealed against.

Eckert’s statement said any rule breaches by the bidding countries were “of very limited scope”, adding: “In particular, the effects of these occurrences on the bidding process as a whole were far from reaching any threshold that would require returning to the bidding process, let alone reopening it.”

A Fifa statement said: “The Fifa appeal committee, chaired by Larry Mussenden, has concluded that the appeal lodged by the chairman of the investigatory chamber, Michael J Garcia, against the statement of the chairman of the adjudicatory chamber of the independent ethics committee, Hans-Joachim Eckert, is not admissible.

“The said statement about the report on the inquiry into the 2018-2022 Fifa World Cup bidding process does not constitute a decision and as such is neither legally binding nor appealable.”

Meanwhile, complaints by two World Cup bid whistleblowers that their cover had been blown by Eckert’s findings have also been rejected.

Phaedra Almajid, who worked for the Qatar 2022 bid team before losing her job in 2010, and Bonita Mersiades, who worked for Australia’s 2022 bid, complained that promises of confidentiality had been breached because his findings contained more than enough information to make them easily identifiable.

So in short, an independent party is employed to write a report about the corruptors.
The report is given to a Fifa ethics judge, selected by the corruptors
the report is quite damning... so the Fifa ethics judge pretends it didn't say what the independent party wrote and release a statement saying something different
The independent party speaks out and exposes the Fifa ethics judge for covering up of the facts
The independent party then appeals to a committee, selected by the corruptors to look into the inaccuracies of the statement
The committee (appointed by the corruptors) find the Fifa ethics judge (appointed by the corruptors) has done no wrong in releasing the statement clearing the corruptors

perfectly summed up.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:00 am

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:

Yes, I blame the Qataris for paying the asking price, as I do the Russians. They help, along with other nations, to keep this corrupt administration going. The real villains are, of course, FIFA, an organisation seemingly beyond the law.

I sympathise with that view, but when you look at all this in the cold light of day, the reality is that in an ideal world, nobody would have to bribe anybody.

In the real world though, every bid seems to have pushed the boundaries to buy favour with the voters, just that Qatar and Russia pushed those boundaries further to get what they wanted.

If those are the rules of the game that FIFA set, then all they are guilty of, is having deeper pockets or a greater desire to host the World Cup than the other bidding nations.

It's simply a sign of FIFA's confidence in their ability to deflect the blame (or stick their head in the sand amidst criticism) that they felt bold enough to give the events to a racist country and one that is climatically incapable of holding a summer tournament, and think nobody would question why they made those decisions.

The very idea of awarding two bids at the same time is in itself simply a mechanism for the old tossers on the exco to get two shots at the cash, probably because they suspect they will either be dead or retired by the time the next bids were awarded. With any luck, the whole fucking lot of them will be locked up and stripped of their assets under some kind of proceeds of crime legislation.

This kind of shit has been going on, as someone else pointed out, since Havelange in the 70's, with the IOC similarly implicated.

Blaming the hosts would, in reality implicate every single one of the host nations in the last 40 or so years, and deflect the flak away from the very organization that facilitates the scandal every 4 years.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:01 am

As FIFA say, nothing to see here, move along please.

And Garcia did, with a parting shot that leaves Blatter and his ExCo members with a lot to think about.

FBI time, me thinks.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:53 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:

I sympathise with that view, but when you look at all this in the cold light of day, the reality is that in an ideal world, nobody would have to bribe anybody.

In the real world though, every bid seems to have pushed the boundaries to buy favour with the voters, just that Qatar and Russia pushed those boundaries further to get what they wanted.

If those are the rules of the game that FIFA set, then all they are guilty of, is having deeper pockets or a greater desire to host the World Cup than the other bidding nations.

It's simply a sign of FIFA's confidence in their ability to deflect the blame (or stick their head in the sand amidst criticism) that they felt bold enough to give the events to a racist country and one that is climatically incapable of holding a summer tournament, and think nobody would question why they made those decisions.

The very idea of awarding two bids at the same time is in itself simply a mechanism for the old tossers on the exco to get two shots at the cash, probably because they suspect they will either be dead or retired by the time the next bids were awarded. With any luck, the whole fucking lot of them will be locked up and stripped of their assets under some kind of proceeds of crime legislation.

This kind of shit has been going on, as someone else pointed out, since Havelange in the 70's, with the IOC similarly implicated.

Blaming the hosts would, in reality implicate every single one of the host nations in the last 40 or so years, and deflect the flak away from the very organization that facilitates the scandal every 4 years.

Yes.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:18 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:As FIFA say, nothing to see here, move along please.

And Garcia did, with a parting shot that leaves Blatter and his ExCo members with a lot to think about.

FBI time, me thinks.

I see this is the latest gem ahead of tomorrow's vote:

The vote will be held at a meeting in Marrakesh, Morocco, but it is unclear how many members will be allowed to take part.

The Fifa committee consisted of 22 members in December 2010 and president Sepp Blatter has previously said only those people should be able to vote on whether to issue a more comprehensive corruption report.

However, of those original 22, only 13 are still on the committee. It means that 12 members of Fifa's committee (which now consists of 25 people), as well as a further two co-opted members, would not be eligible to vote

So in effect, only the people who stand to lose from the findings of the report are allowed to vote on it. And the new members of the committee, who would probably stand to gain politically from the truth coming out, aren't allowed to vote.

Incredible, just when you think you can't hear anything more dodgy than the last stunt.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:20 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:

FBI time, me thinks.

The vote will be held at a meeting in Marrakesh, Morocco, but it is unclear how many members will be allowed to take part.

The Fifa committee consisted of 22 members in December 2010 and president Sepp Blatter has previously said only those people should be able to vote on whether to issue a more comprehensive corruption report.

However, of those original 22, only 13 are still on the committee. It means that 12 members of Fifa's committee (which now consists of 25 people), as well as a further two co-opted members, would not be eligible to vote

So in effect, only the people who stand to lose from the findings of the report are allowed to vote on it. And the new members of the committee, who would probably stand to gain politically from the truth coming out, aren't allowed to vote.

Incredible, just when you think you can't hear anything more dodgy than the last stunt.

It's draw-dropping isn't it mate. I've changed my view on how these people work as I always thought that they work within certain legal parameters but the reality is that FIFA are actually run as an old boys club where the laws are only to themselves, not deciding to sort out the wrongs but to decide whether to tell others why they think they got it wrong when in reality, the members see it as normal practice.

In their eyes there's no corruption, it's just normal jogging for these fuckers.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Slim » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:36 am

These guys are comic book villains, they are not voting on whether to kick out the corrupt regime, they are voting on whether to allow to the new members to vote on whether to release the information to the public.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

How Blatter is not constantly pictured twirling his mustache and tying Mabel Normand to the traintracks, I will never know.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:20 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

FBI time, me thinks.

It's draw-dropping isn't it mate. I've changed my view on how these people work as I always thought that they work within certain legal parameters but the reality is that FIFA are actually run as an old boys club where the laws are only to themselves, not deciding to sort out the wrongs but to decide whether to tell others why they think they got it wrong when in reality, the members see it as normal practice.

In their eyes there's no corruption, it's just normal jogging for these fuckers.

Time to send in Jean Claude Van Damme
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby PrezIke » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:37 pm

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30546139

Fifa executives agree to release Garcia report on World Cups

practically shocked to hear this given the sequence of events prior...

they must have received some serious threats from key sponsors.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby bigblue » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:45 pm

Interesting development:

but I'll be shocked if the published report is anything more than 400 blank pages with the word 'redacted' stamped across each one...
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Dameerto » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:49 pm

What's strange is that it was apparently unanimous - kind of leads me to conclude their sponsors were leaning on them over it.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby john68 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:30 pm

Before we start to fall over in shock at their honesty or jump for joy at their caving in, please take notethat there is a little caviat phrase in that bulletin

"LEGALLY APPROPRIATE VERSION"

If they published the whole truthful transcript, as it was the findings concludied from evidence, would it not all be legally appropriate?

Or do they really mean; legally appropriate so their arses don't fry?

They would have no problem unanimously agreeing a version that kept them safe.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:43 pm

john68 wrote:Before we start to fall over in shock at their honesty or jump for joy at their caving in, please take notethat there is a little caviat phrase in that bulletin

If they published the whole truthful transcript, as it was the findings concludied from evidence, would it not all be legally appropriate?

Does that mean that hearsay testimony or eye witness testimony from the whistle blowers might be taken out?
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:28 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
john68 wrote:Before we start to fall over in shock at their honesty or jump for joy at their caving in, please take notethat there is a little caviat phrase in that bulletin

Does that mean that hearsay testimony or eye witness testimony from the whistle blowers might be taken out?

It means whatever FIFA want it to mean.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby john68 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:43 pm

WW,

I am not a lawyer but don't believe that hearsay information, unless backed up by evidence, would have been considered by Garcia. Infromation actually seen or experienced by the whistle blowers, would be 1st hand and probably considered evidential.

There is also the consideration where there is an overwhelming weight of evidence, that would make any information highly probable and probably considered to be true.

As Tovarich Chigorin posted, "It means whatever they want it to mean." One thing we can be 100% ceretain of is none of any report is going to say. "Yeah Guv! Fair cop!....we did it...and we're banged to rights."
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:36 pm

The other interesting bit is that it can't be released until investigations into 5 serving members of the Ecco have been concluded, and then they have the right to appeal. The likelihood is that the report may still not see the light of day for a year or two, by which time blatter will have been re-elected again
It's so easy to see through the charade for what it is, yet again the media are heralding this as a great victory and that FIFA are finally changing their ways.......are they fuck, this is very well planned
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby john68 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:02 am

Probably the worst part of all of this is that though the Blatter regime is considered to be corrupt and the major European nations and their allies want him out, what do we replace him with?

The Europeans would undoubtedly want to be the major players and we know from experience that they are about the same.
john68

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum