the fifa corruption report

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: the fifa corruption report

Postby mr_nool » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:32 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Another whistleblower has come forward claiming a member of the executive committie asked for money in exchange for votes.

Told you: Watergate. Wait til the FBI get stuck into them & they all start trying to save themselves from prosecution. With a bit of luck, they'll find something on Platini. He voted for Qatar I believe ? Why would anyone vote for a World Cup in Qatar, except for money or favours ?

May as well hold it at the North Pole or under the fucking sea.

Lescott would be a world beater if it was played under the sea.

He'd still be better under the sea than Nastasic on dry land you fucking spastic!
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:11 am

So we now have another whistleblower in the form of Les Murray, who was a member of the FIFA ethics committee. He reported that a FIFA ExCo member was whoring himself out for $5 mil and although this backs up the previous statements regarding members asking for Australia to pay for their countries facilities, not a word was mentioned in the report.

When I said 'Open Sesame' I didn't think it would be this quick and it's now turning into a right 'Pandora's Box'.

'The Truth Will Out', as the say, or will it now be buried as the domestic leagues gets into full flow?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby iwasthere2012 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:55 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:So we now have another whistleblower in the form of Les Murray, who was a member of the FIFA ethics committee. He reported that a FIFA ExCo member was whoring himself out for $5 mil and although this backs up the previous statements regarding members asking for Australia to pay for their countries facilities, not a word was mentioned in the report.

When I said 'Open Sesame' I didn't think it would be this quick and it's now turning into a right 'Pandora's Box'.

'The Truth Will Out', as the say, or will it now be buried as the domestic leagues gets into full flow?

Therein lies the million dollar question: Place your bets.......Will it snowball or will it be yesterdays news soon.

have to say it's hard to see it going away, but as a lot of you have pointed out, until the sponsors get shakey will anyone in FIFA care.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:12 pm

More allegations in the Sunday Times saying that a dossier has been passed the the Government Select Committee. One part of the unproven allegations are that Blatter himself accepted a portrait from one of the bidding nations.

Surely that'll be in some Swiss bank volt by now, never to be linked with Blatter again - until he sells it!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:36 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:More allegations in the Sunday Times saying that a dossier has been passed the the Government Select Committee. One part of the unproven allegations are that Blatter himself accepted a portrait from one of the bidding nations.

Surely that'll be in some Swiss bank volt by now, never to be linked with Blatter again - until he sells it!

Electrifying if true.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:10 pm

There is some big stuff floating around today, including allegations that Putin recruited Blatter to lobby for Russia, but even more interesting is the allegation the Platini was given a painting, possibly a Picasso.

Coca Cola, Macdonalds & Adidas are all expressing an interest in getting to the bottom of it & the Chief Exec of the German Leagues is asking for a boycott & suggests FIFA are not fit to run football. Also read somewhere that a group of European federations are seeking a boycott.

Not had time to sort the wheat from the chaff & the Sunday Times is behind a paywall, but suggestions that it's a UK Government select committie which is making some of these allegations is quite something.

FBI haven't even said anything yet.

Which states still have the death penalty ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:55 pm

FIFA have stated firmly that they are not corrupt, surely that should be good enough for you all?
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Dameerto » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:30 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:FIFA have stated firmly that they are not corrupt, surely that should be good enough for you all?

There should be an FA led inquiry into potential FA corruption, to sort the matter out once and for all.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:51 pm

Dameerto wrote:
Hutch's Shoulder wrote:FIFA have stated firmly that they are not corrupt, surely that should be good enough for you all?

There should be an FA led inquiry into potential FA corruption, to sort the matter out once and for all.

I don't understand this.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Dameerto » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:01 pm

I'm in the wrong thread - it was funny in my head for a second though.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:10 pm

Dameerto wrote:I'm in the wrong thread - it was funny in my head for a second though.

I wasn't being sarcastic, old chum. I was just genuinely puzzled.

Thanks for clarifying.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:17 pm

Dameerto wrote:I'm in the wrong thread - it was funny in my head for a second though.

I get it.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Sideshow Bob » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:38 pm

shocking developments. no one could have seen this coming!

Fifa ethics investigator Michael Garcia loses appeal against ethics summary

The Fifa ethics investigator, Michael Garcia, has lost his appeal against the findings that cleared Qatar and Russia to host the 2022 and 2018 World Cups.

Garcia last month claimed a statement by the Fifa ethics judge, Hans-Joachim Eckert, on his report into bidding for the World Cups had contained “numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations of the facts and conclusions” and announced he would appeal.

That appeal has now been declared inadmissible by Fifa’s appeals committee, which said Eckert’s statement was not a legally binding decision and therefore could not be appealed against.

Eckert’s statement said any rule breaches by the bidding countries were “of very limited scope”, adding: “In particular, the effects of these occurrences on the bidding process as a whole were far from reaching any threshold that would require returning to the bidding process, let alone reopening it.”

A Fifa statement said: “The Fifa appeal committee, chaired by Larry Mussenden, has concluded that the appeal lodged by the chairman of the investigatory chamber, Michael J Garcia, against the statement of the chairman of the adjudicatory chamber of the independent ethics committee, Hans-Joachim Eckert, is not admissible.

“The said statement about the report on the inquiry into the 2018-2022 Fifa World Cup bidding process does not constitute a decision and as such is neither legally binding nor appealable.”

Meanwhile, complaints by two World Cup bid whistleblowers that their cover had been blown by Eckert’s findings have also been rejected.

Phaedra Almajid, who worked for the Qatar 2022 bid team before losing her job in 2010, and Bonita Mersiades, who worked for Australia’s 2022 bid, complained that promises of confidentiality had been breached because his findings contained more than enough information to make them easily identifiable.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:13 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:shocking developments. no one could have seen this coming!

The Fifa ethics investigator, Michael Garcia, has lost his appeal against the findings that cleared Qatar and Russia to host the 2022 and 2018 World Cups.

Garcia last month claimed a statement by the Fifa ethics judge, Hans-Joachim Eckert, on his report into bidding for the World Cups had contained “numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations of the facts and conclusions” and announced he would appeal.

That appeal has now been declared inadmissible by Fifa’s appeals committee, which said Eckert’s statement was not a legally binding decision and therefore could not be appealed against.

Eckert’s statement said any rule breaches by the bidding countries were “of very limited scope”, adding: “In particular, the effects of these occurrences on the bidding process as a whole were far from reaching any threshold that would require returning to the bidding process, let alone reopening it.”

A Fifa statement said: “The Fifa appeal committee, chaired by Larry Mussenden, has concluded that the appeal lodged by the chairman of the investigatory chamber, Michael J Garcia, against the statement of the chairman of the adjudicatory chamber of the independent ethics committee, Hans-Joachim Eckert, is not admissible.

“The said statement about the report on the inquiry into the 2018-2022 Fifa World Cup bidding process does not constitute a decision and as such is neither legally binding nor appealable.”

Meanwhile, complaints by two World Cup bid whistleblowers that their cover had been blown by Eckert’s findings have also been rejected.

Phaedra Almajid, who worked for the Qatar 2022 bid team before losing her job in 2010, and Bonita Mersiades, who worked for Australia’s 2022 bid, complained that promises of confidentiality had been breached because his findings contained more than enough information to make them easily identifiable.

So in short, an independent party is employed to write a report about the corruptors.
The report is given to a Fifa ethics judge, selected by the corruptors
the report is quite damning... so the Fifa ethics judge pretends it didn't say what the independent party wrote and release a statement saying something different
The independent party speaks out and exposes the Fifa ethics judge for covering up of the facts
The independent party then appeals to a committee, selected by the corruptors to look into the inaccuracies of the statement
The committee (appointed by the corruptors) find the Fifa ethics judge (appointed by the corruptors) has done no wrong in releasing the statement clearing the corruptors
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:08 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:shocking developments. no one could have seen this coming!

So in short, an independent party is employed to write a report about the corruptors.
The report is given to a Fifa ethics judge, selected by the corruptors
the report is quite damning... so the Fifa ethics judge pretends it didn't say what the independent party wrote and release a statement saying something different
The independent party speaks out and exposes the Fifa ethics judge for covering up of the facts
The independent party then appeals to a committee, selected by the corruptors to look into the inaccuracies of the statement
The committee (appointed by the corruptors) find the Fifa ethics judge (appointed by the corruptors) has done no wrong in releasing the statement clearing the corruptors

Once Havelange finally dies they'll probably blame him, he's the snake who started all this shit off when he took control in 74. Basically a version of organised crime has been running football since then.
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby bigblue » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:27 pm

This part is unreal of an reason to give:

Eckert’s statement was not a legally binding decision and therefore could not be appealed against.

So they basically say that while he may be/probably is lying in the summary, his words aren't being held to truth in a court of law. Ah yes, it's ok a judge summarizing an ethics report may misrepresent facts because he never swore in before doing so.

And even more shite:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... -complaint

The Fifa whistleblower who said her confidentiality had been breached and her safety compromised by its investigation into the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups has called its dismissal of her complaint “a transparent avoidance of a clear violation of its own rules”.

Both Phaedra Almajid, who worked on Qatar’s 2022 World Cup bid, and Bonita Mersiades, a member of the Australia 2022 bid team, complained to Fifa’s disciplinary committee in the wake of the publication of Hans-Joachim Eckert’s disputed summary of Michael Garcia’s investigation. But the disciplinary committee ruled on Tuesday that there was no case to answer.

“I cooperated with Mr Garcia’s investigation for over two and a half years under a clear, unqualified promise of confidentiality. He asked me for my confidentiality and repeatedly promised me mine,” said Almajid.

“I kept my promise. Herr Eckert breached that confidentiality. I did not. The disciplinary committee’s avoidance of this undisputable violation is emblematic of its culture of self-protection.”

Eckert not only dismissed their evidence but effectively identified them, despite the need to maintain the confidentiality of witnesses being the main argument employed in favour of publishing a summary rather than the entire report.

Fifa said that the pair had effectively waived their right to anonymity by going public with their “own media activities long before the publication” of the report summary.

Almajid, who claimed her safety and that of her family had been compromised by the Garcia process, said that was an “obvious dodge”. “My public statements were all made long before I entered into a confidentiality agreement with Mr Garcia. I made no public statements during the entire period of Mr Garcia’s investigation,” she said.

“I relied on Fifa’s promise of confidentiality and continued to honour my promise until Herr Eckert published his ‘summary’. My recent public statements have only been made after Herr Eckert’s identification of me in blatant violation of Fifa confidentiality rules.”

Eckert’s 42-page summary of Garcia’s 430-page report, which effectively cleared the 2018 hosts Russia and 2022 hosts Qatar of serious wrongdoing, did not name either woman. But both argued that its description of them made them easy to identify.

Almajid worked on the Qatar bid in a senior communications role and was behind allegations aired under parliamentary privilege that the African Fifa executives Issa Hayatou, Jacques Anouma and Amos Adamu were given $1.5m each to vote for Qatar. The three have denied the allegations, as has the Qatar bid committee.

She later retracted the claim but has said she agreed to do so only under duress after the Qatar organising committee said it would not bring legal action against her for breaching a confidentiality clause in her contract if she signed a sworn statement.

There also appears to be a discrepancy between the reasons Fifa gave for dismissing her complaint in its media release and those in a letter to Almajid, in which it effectively states that she is not entitled to complain because she is no longer working in football.

Almajid said her treatment was another blow to Fifa’s credibility, ahead of this week’s executive committee meeting at which members will vote over whether the Garcia report should be released in full.

“The disciplinary committee’s decision today is one more example of an organisation whose rules are mere formalities meaning nothing,” she said. “Woe be to any other person who cares enough to risk personal safety to report Fifa corruption.”

Hopefully there is only so long that they can get away hijacking the beautiful game before it catches up with them. I'm normally against the death penalty, but these cunts deserve it. Profiteering and squandering one of the only past times that unites the world in happiness.
Last edited by bigblue on Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby JamieMCFC » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:30 pm

Swiss government passes anti-corruption "FIFA law"

BERNE, Dec 12 (Reuters) - Swiss lawmakers passed a bill on Friday that would subject sports officials -- such as the head of soccer's governing body, FIFA, and the International Olympic Committee -- to more financial scrutiny by banks in Switzerland.

Switzerland is responding to years of corruption allegations with a set of laws that have become known as "Lex FIFA", which aim to tighten oversight of the approximately 60 sporting bodies based here.

Swiss lawmakers voted 128 to 62 in favour of revising a broader bill designed to fight money laundering, based on guidelines set up by the intergovernmental Financial Action Task Force (FATF).

The bill now includes wording saying FIFA head Sepp Blatter and other sports executives, such as International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach, should be treated as "politically exposed persons" - a term justice officials use to define those in positions that could be abused to launder money.

Bach, who on Monday pushed through sweeping reforms of Olympic bidding, said he welcomed the measures "wholeheartedly."

The IOC will audit its accounts to higher standards than legally required of the organization and will provide a yearly finance report, including the allowance policy for all IOC members, Bach said.

FIFA said it supports government efforts to tackle corruption but didn't comment specifically on the bill, which now goes to Swiss government to be written into law.

The bill increases financial scrutiny of sports officials by necessity, because Switzerland's banks are legally required to ensure funds are not of suspicious origin before they accept them.

The broader money-laundering guidelines aim to keep Switzerland, which is effectively doing away with banking secrecy, off FATF blacklists.

Global corruption watchdog Transparency International welcomed the bill's passage. But it said Switzerland should go a step further and make private corruption a criminal offense, to give prosecutors more leeway to crack down on wrong-doing in sport.

The campaign to increase oversight of major sports bodies has been led since 2010 by lawmaker Roland Buechel, who says he is concerned that negative headlines around these organisations are tarnishing Switzerland's image.

Sports bodies like the IOC and FIFA enjoy a privileged existence in Switzerland. As non-profit associations, they pay a far lower tax bill than private-sector corporations.

That legal status puts organizations such as FIFA, which posted nearly $1.4 billion in revenue last year, on an equal footing with community projects, for example.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/soc ... A_law.html
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby bigblue » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:30 pm

Garcia now resigns:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... -committee

Garcia also revealed that the Fifa executive committee led by Sepp Blatter tried to have disciplinary proceedings opened against him in September.

shocking in a way how horribly predictable the corruption is. Really hope there is some real blowback from this. The major nations and sponsors should tell the swiss fuckers to get lost asap
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:18 pm

bigblue wrote:Garcia now resigns:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... -committee

Garcia also revealed that the Fifa executive committee led by Sepp Blatter tried to have disciplinary proceedings opened against him in September.

shocking in a way how horribly predictable the corruption is. Really hope there is some real blowback from this. The major nations and sponsors should tell the swiss fuckers to get lost asap

One has to wonder what on earth they could possibly want to open disciplinary proceedings against him, at the time he authored a damning report in his position as independent investigator.

The most frustrating thing about all of this, is how fucking ridiculous the whole world sees this utter farce, yet the football associations and sponsors continue to allow it to happen, as they are all on the gravy train just as much as the exco members.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:28 pm

Just as an aside to the report, the Qataris are obviously following this news avidly through their media outlets (which stick to reporting facts not opinions), yet in their zeal to be persecuted muslims (of course it's all a conspiracy by the west) keep commenting that they are vindicated by these reports. Now their innocence about FIFA's workings clearly knows no bounds, but aside from that, it seems that the locals along with much of the rest of the world are completely missing the point that the world's criticism should be about FIFA facilitating bribery, rather than them paying the asking price.

So a couple of questions for you all:
Does anyone on here actually blame Qatar and Russia for paying the price asked?
Does anyone genuinely think Qatar and Russia are the villains in all this, any more than England, Australia or US?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum