Ched Evans

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Ched Evans

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:30 pm

MilnersJaw wrote:
simon12 wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
nottsblue wrote:So Jessica Ennis now doesn't want the stand named after her if they resign him.

How about renaming it "the Ched Evans one night stand"

Liking this very much, made me laugh out loud

Me too.

This is the Jess Ennis who appeared half naked in boys mags isn't it?

Also there seems to be no fall out with Craig Charles in the jungle and earning a living very much in the limelight on Corrie.

give the guy a break, his dad just died.

anyway they usually have high earners in that jungle shit, last year they had david haye and helen get your tits out flanagan

I can understand Joe Bugner doing that type of thing..glory days long gone, cashflow problem etc..but Haye?..if hes done that it convinces me he isnt serious about fighting anymore, and if he isnt he should quit the bullshit yes/no/yes/no and run into the arms of vapid television shows..its full of people who used to be good at something pretending to be good at something else worth watching, which 99% of the time they fuckin aint
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby AntMcfc » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:12 pm

nottsblue wrote:So Jessica Ennis now doesn't want the stand named after her if they resign him.

How about renaming it "the Ched Evans one night stand"

AntMcfc
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Yaya/Aguero/Totti/Busi

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:17 pm

This Ched Evans witch hunt is reaching new levels. I find myself leaning more and more on Evans side and defending his right to earn a living. Just because he is a sportsman, people say he shouldnt be allowed to continue? MP and former tory vice chairman posted the to his 17,000 Twitter followers last night "Ched Evans committed an awful crime, he was punished and served his prison sentence. He should now be free to earn a living. #OldhamAthletic."

Northumbria Police and Crime Commissioner Vera Baird has written to Mike Ashley as sports direct are the biggest sponsors of Oldham: ‘If Oldham Athletic decide to appoint him, I would urge you to withdraw Sports Direct sponsorship at the club. It is tantamount to saying that sexual abuse is OK as long as you can play football."

Say, for instance if Ched was a designer called Michael Kors... would she be leading a campaign to make sure all shops did not stock that brand and that if anybody wore that brand then they are endorsing Rape? Of course not, if she decided not to wear that brand, then thats her right to make that stand. However, if the people of Oldham want a striker who would improve them, then who is she to say they are not allowed.

Some peoples moral compasses are all over the place on this. Does this mean that any convicted criminal who serves their sentence and are then let out at the agreed time as per the rules are no longer allowed to work and must claim benefits forever?
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:17 pm

It seems the general public get to dictate who you can work for if you commit a crime these days, Wonderwall. Where it'll end I'd hate to imagine.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:24 pm

I don't want to come off as anti-rape...or pro-rape...but I'm 100% Team Ched.

I think he took some liberties with a drunk girl and thought she could be passed around and he was wrong. He paid for it. I'm sure he's learned a lesson. Just cuz yr mate's balls deep doesn't mean she wants to fuck you too when he's done. If it was my daughter I'd want to smash his face in and want him to suffer even more but luckily vengeance isn't the order of the day and I don't get to decide that unless I want to be an outlaw. And this reaction is really unwarranted vigilantism IMHO.

Shitty crime and yes, no means no....but the level of rhetoric and grand standing is raping my intelligence.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Whassat » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:28 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:I don't want to come off as anti-rape...or pro-rape...but I'm 100% Team Ched.

I think he took some liberties with a drunk girl and thought she could be passed around and he was wrong. He paid for it. I'm sure he's learned a lesson. Just cuz yr mate's balls deep doesn't mean she wants to fuck you too when he's done. If it was my daughter I'd want to smash his face in and want him to suffer even more but luckily vengeance isn't the order of the day and I don't get to decide that unless I want to be an outlaw. And this reaction is really unwarranted vigilantism IMHO.

Shitty crime and yes, no means no....but the level of rhetoric and grand standing is raping my intelligence.

Cheers

Aye, he have done time for his crime and thus should be able to ply his trade as a footballer. That said, he seems like a thick-fuckheaded moron.
Whassat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City, AIK
My favourite player is: The magician

Postby nottsblue » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:37 pm

I for one feel this is turning into a witch-hunt of new proportions. I doubt anyone condones what he did in any way, but the fact remains he has paid his due to society as meted out by a court of law. Whether it is a just and proportionate punishment is irrelevant in this matter. Apparantly 150,000 people signed a petition so he wouldn't play for Sheffield. Bonkers. They haven't even 10% of that number who go to games. Similarly at Oldham nearly 25000 have signed. How many of them even know the name of the ground?

This is a bandwagon that has well and truly been jumped on. He is effectively being denied his right to employment in his chosen profession. I know footballers are role models, but at Oldham or Hartlepool who are 92nd? There wasn't anywhere near this hoo hah when Lee Hughes went to Oldham after having killed a man. Surely a worse crime?

Although at first I was fairly ambivalent to his situation. After all, it was of his own doing effectively. But it has snowballed and I find myself actually having a bit of sympathy for the lad
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Slim » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:41 pm

Wonderwall wrote:This Ched Evans witch hunt is reaching new levels. I find myself leaning more and more on Evans side and defending his right to earn a living. Just because he is a sportsman, people say he shouldnt be allowed to continue? MP and former tory vice chairman posted the to his 17,000 Twitter followers last night "Ched Evans committed an awful crime, he was punished and served his prison sentence. He should now be free to earn a living. #OldhamAthletic."

Northumbria Police and Crime Commissioner Vera Baird has written to Mike Ashley as sports direct are the biggest sponsors of Oldham: ‘If Oldham Athletic decide to appoint him, I would urge you to withdraw Sports Direct sponsorship at the club. It is tantamount to saying that sexual abuse is OK as long as you can play football."

Say, for instance if Ched was a designer called Michael Kors... would she be leading a campaign to make sure all shops did not stock that brand and that if anybody wore that brand then they are endorsing Rape? Of course not, if she decided not to wear that brand, then thats her right to make that stand. However, if the people of Oldham want a striker who would improve them, then who is she to say they are not allowed.

Some peoples moral compasses are all over the place on this. Does this mean that any convicted criminal who serves their sentence and are then let out at the agreed time as per the rules are no longer allowed to work and must claim benefits forever?

Firstly we're going to ignore the guy is a convicted rapist and whether you believe what happened or not, in the eyes of everyone it should be pretty clear, he's a fucking rapist.

And I am not saying he can't earn a living, but my concern is entirely with his victim, you know the 19yo girl who's had to change her identity twice now because of fucking twitter. So Rapist Evans gets a contract, he is a high profile footballer now and no doubt anything he does will be reported, so this poor girl will have to cut herself off from the news and the papers in order to avoid being reminded of the crime. Maybe she likes football, maybe she wants to go to a game, maybe Rapey Evans is in the away side. To continually become a victim over and over again and you think it's okay because the cunt only knows how to kick a football around? No fucking way, get a pair of workboots and gloves and go shift rubbish bins for a living you cunt, you forfeited your right to a high profile job the moment you fucking raped a teenager.

So I am all for him becoming a footballer again, the moment she gives her consent. My moral compass if working just fine, just I don't give a single fuck for the well-being of a rapist.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Slim » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:42 pm

nottsblue wrote:I for one feel this is turning into a witch-hunt of new proportions. I doubt anyone condones what he did in any way, but the fact remains he has paid his due to society as meted out by a court of law. Whether it is a just and proportionate punishment is irrelevant in this matter. Apparantly 150,000 people signed a petition so he wouldn't play for Sheffield. Bonkers. They haven't even 10% of that number who go to games. Similarly at Oldham nearly 25000 have signed. How many of them even know the name of the ground?

This is a bandwagon that has well and truly been jumped on. He is effectively being denied his right to employment in his chosen profession. I know footballers are role models, but at Oldham or Hartlepool who are 92nd? There wasn't anywhere near this hoo hah when Lee Hughes went to Oldham after having killed a man. Surely a worse crime?

Although at first I was fairly ambivalent to his situation. After all, it was of his own doing effectively. But it has snowballed and I find myself actually having a bit of sympathy for the lad

Do they still play at Boundary Park? And I haven't signed a fucking thing.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:55 pm

Slim wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:This Ched Evans witch hunt is reaching new levels. I find myself leaning more and more on Evans side and defending his right to earn a living. Just because he is a sportsman, people say he shouldnt be allowed to continue? MP and former tory vice chairman posted the to his 17,000 Twitter followers last night "Ched Evans committed an awful crime, he was punished and served his prison sentence. He should now be free to earn a living. #OldhamAthletic."

Firstly we're going to ignore the guy is a convicted rapist and whether you believe what happened or not, in the eyes of everyone it should be pretty clear, he's a fucking rapist.

And I am not saying he can't earn a living, but my concern is entirely with his victim, you know the 19yo girl who's had to change her identity twice now because of fucking twitter. So Rapist Evans gets a contract, he is a high profile footballer now and no doubt anything he does will be reported, so this poor girl will have to cut herself off from the news and the papers in order to avoid being reminded of the crime. Maybe she likes football, maybe she wants to go to a game, maybe Rapey Evans is in the away side. To continually become a victim over and over again and you think it's okay because the cunt only knows how to kick a football around? No fucking way, get a pair of workboots and gloves and go shift rubbish bins for a living you cunt, you forfeited your right to a high profile job the moment you fucking raped a teenager.

So I am all for him becoming a footballer again, the moment she gives her consent. My moral compass if working just fine, just I don't give a single fuck for the well-being of a rapist.

So what you are saying is if you commit a crime, you are no longer allowed to go back into the profession you left? What if he worked at fucking greggs, would she have to avoid billboards, TV commercials, transfer windows and never eat a pasty again? No matter what he did before this, you could in some way link it back. Its a witch hunt, why let him out at all?
Wonderwall

Postby Slim » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:59 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Slim wrote:

So what you are saying is if you commit a crime, you are no longer allowed to go back into the profession you left? What if he worked at fucking greggs, would she have to avoid billboards, TV commercials, transfer windows and never eat a pasty again? No matter what he did before this, you could in some way link it back. Its a witch hunt, why let him out at all?

Is he going to be on the billboards and commercials for Greggs? HIGH PROFILE are the words you want to concentrate on, try again.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:00 pm

Slim wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
Slim wrote:

Is he going to be on the billboards and commercials for Greggs? HIGH PROFILE are the words you want to concentrate on, try again.

High Profile is not Oldham or Hartlepool, try again
Wonderwall

Postby Slim » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:02 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Slim wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
Slim wrote:

High Profile is not Oldham or Hartlepool, try again

It is when you link Rapey Evans' name to it. And I am sure Oldham games get reported in a sports section somewhere, you think him serving at the counter in Greggs is going to make the culinary pages?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Whassat » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:10 pm

Excellent sportblog by Marina Hyde in the Guardian regarding Ched Evans...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... arina-hyde

Ched Evans case shows law is an ass, not the clubs wanting to sign him

Campaigners calling for Ched Evans to be banned should protest at lenient rape sentencing rather than expecting football, of all things, to give a moral lead
• Oldham delay decision over Ched Evans after outcry
• David Conn: The victim must always be remembered
Ched Evans: 'just another thing that must be banned, because people are too stupid to make their own intelligent judgments.' Photograph: Ed Sykes/Action Images

Tuesday 6 January 2015 14.54 GMT

Controversially, it seems, I have more of a problem with rape sentencing than I do with the personnel decisions of Oldham Athletic football club. I think rape sentencing is far too lenient. Come to that, I think all manner of sentences are out of whack. Why in the name of sanity and proportion should small-time “canoe man” insurance fiddler John Darwin have got six years when there are paedophiles who get three – or less?

I don’t see any petitions on rape sentencing, unfortunately – an absence that adds to a nagging sense about this latest chapter in the Great Outrage Wars: that clicktivism, and feminist clicktivism too often, is overly preoccupied with fighting the battles it can win relatively easily, rather than the much more ambitious ones it should try to win. Is it aspirational to want to live in a country where football – football! – is expected to mitigate the fact that the law is an ass? I know the longest journey starts with a single step, or whatever the puppy poster peeling off your dentist’s wall says, but the relentless focus on explaining why a footballer is not covered by the idea of paying his debt to society via the criminal justice system is both irrational and increasingly concerning.

A principle isn’t a principle until it is tested, so it is said. For a worrying amount of people, the belief that debts to society are paid via the corrections system seems to have found its limit in the case of Ched Evans, which makes one wonder just how muddled their philosophising has got. Or how important the championship has become – do take your pick between these bizarre options.

Before we go on, some things must be underscored. I have the utmost sympathy for the woman whom Evans was found guilty of raping, and nothing but total contempt for the scumbags whose naming her on the internet has reportedly caused her to change her identity five times, and who should be hunted down by the law and brought to justice. Nine have already been convicted, and I wish the police luck getting all the rest. Furthermore, I think the website funded by Ched Evans’s fiancee’s father, is toxically pathetic and disgusting, and – as my colleague David Conn has pointed out – misleading and probably unlawful in parts. I never thought the repulsive Evans should return to Sheffield United, because no one else walks back into their same job after a rape conviction.

But the idea that all clubs should be stopped from signing him – because, you know, football – is wrongheaded. Upon what is it based? That Ched Evans being allowed to take a job – any job – in football will “send a message” to people evidently too stupid to regard it as anything other than an endorsement of his behaviour? Ah, if only the sort of people who watch football weren’t too thick to see Ched Evans returning to work in football as anything other than an endorsement of rape culture. But they aren’t – or at least, so it would seem from the welter of comment explaining why, in this instance, previously valued principles do not apply. Ched Evans: just another thing that must be banned, because people are too stupid or impressionable to be exposed to him and make intelligent judgments.

Perversely, his most vocal detractors are now doing more to make him a wildly miscast role model than his supporters. Certainly, idiots will rally round him. There are always idiots. Ched Evans masks will be worn. Goals will be celebrated. But he won’t be part of any club’s kid-related community projects, because he’d fail the CRB check. (Incidentally, do remember that much of the reason footballers are so always insistently referred to as role models is because that status allows newspapers to write about their private lives.)

At time of writing, Oldham Athletic were reconsidering their offer to him, so one can’t say how this latest episode will pan out. But while we wait, it’s worth wondering for a moment how different various aspects of culture would have looked over the past few decades had the recourse to insta-outrage been the same as it is today. Leslie Grantham would certainly never have been Dirty Den on EastEnders, for instance. Four days after Grantham hit the screen as the landlord of the Queen Vic in 1985, the Mirror revealed that he’d done 10 years for the murder of a West German taxi driver, and if you think the internet would have permitted him to remain as the anti-hero of the BBC’s flagship soap in this day and age, then you need your connection checked. Tens of thousands of people complained to the BBC about Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand’s calls to Andrew Sachs – and that was in the years before they were Twitter-enabled – so you can imagine what sort of outrage-tide the corporation hiring a convicted murderer would nowadays unleash. BBC soap actors are role models, I expect, and the message Grantham’s hiring sent would simply not be permitted to be sent today. It would be regarded as too wantonly dangerous.

And yet, we all survived the alternative version of history, somehow. People were able to separate the BBC’s personnel decision from an endorsement of murder or a culture of violence. Very possibly, people were not even aware that prominent BBC actors were role models, just as they probably did not know back then that they were supposed to take their moral lead from footballers. Thank heavens for progress.
Whassat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City, AIK
My favourite player is: The magician

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:37 pm

Slim wrote:
It is when you link Rapey Evans' name to it. And I am sure Oldham games get reported in a sports section somewhere, you think him serving at the counter in Greggs is going to make the culinary pages?

Big bro has you sussed. If say Ched Evans was a dogcatcher and dropped off strays to a shelter where she worked should he be fired?

A: No.

Get a grip. He's just trying to do the only job the moron knows how to do.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Slim » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:44 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Slim wrote:

Big bro has you sussed. If say Ched Evans was a dogcatcher and dropped off strays to a shelter where she worked should he be fired?

Cheers

You think it's okay for him to have personal contact with his victim on a regular basis as long as it's the only job he knows how to do?

Where the fuck is your moral compass? No seriously, are you looking for a rise or are you so fucked up in the head or fucking stupid beyond belief? I mean, I know you say some stupid shit at times, but I always assumed that's because you were slightly simple, this is a whole new level of fucktardery. I honestly feel like I shouldn't be making fun of you anymore, it's not nice to make fun of the 'special' people.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wooders » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:48 pm

I think the role model question is a good one - should ched now be considered "a role model" to the 1000s of prisoners who are supposedly being rehabilitated to re-enter society and get jobs and continue their lives, lesson learnt and better people because of it?
I am not sure I like the message that is being sent with the vilification of him and any club that wants to support him now he has been released and wants to resume a normal life.

Perhaps his sentence was to lenient you could argue, but he didn't set it or decide he could be released early.
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:07 pm

Slim wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:
Slim wrote:

Cheers

You think it's okay for him to have personal contact with his victim on a regular basis as long as it's the only job he knows how to do?

Where the fuck is your moral compass? No seriously, are you looking for a rise or are you so fucked up in the head or fucking stupid beyond belief? I mean, I know you say some stupid shit at times, but I always assumed that's because you were slightly simple, this is a whole new level of fucktardery. I honestly feel like I shouldn't be making fun of you anymore, it's not nice to make fun of the 'special' people.

Yr just itching to pick a fight. You clearly don't get it...and telling me that I don't get it makes you feel better...so enjoy this.

Cockface.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Spurge » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:15 pm

excellent post
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:32 pm

It's not at all simple this. He is now on the sex offenders register and can't work with kids which many players do as part of their off-field work, he is out on licence, might or might not get his conviction overturned. Not all offenders can go back to their same profession, e.g. Teachers. I was against him going back to SUFC as if nothing had happened but I am also against hounding him for ever. But to be honest, if he had said to his supporters don't troll the girl on social media and let me sort it in the courts, a lot of the perception would be very different. No absolutes here.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum