Ched Evans

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Ched Evans

Postby nottsblue » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:20 pm

Been convicted and served his time at Her Majesty's Pleasure. Is all the hoo-ha justified? The situation is even being discussed at parliament level. Sponsors are threatening to pull out and fans are signing petitions in their tens of thousands.

Should a man have the right to return to a high profile profession like football after a rape conviction or has he burnt bridges and football should be closed to him? There are cases of footballers returning after jail terms,Tony Adams, Marlon King, Lee Hughes to name three, so is it right here is such an outcry over Evans?

Really tough one for me as one side thinks he has served his time and he should be allowed to get on with his life and the other thinks he shouldn't be allowed to play. After all one coudn't resume a teaching career after a rape conviction. Also there is the dressing room to consider. There may be guys in there who have had friends or family who have been raped and I doubt they would take kindly to a rapist being there. It will be a brave chairman and manager who takes him on.

All in all I think he should be allowed to return to football
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Re: Ched Evans

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:41 pm

This is really a tough one and I don't know where I stand on this issue at all. Just can't make my mind up either way.

Just one assorted thought though; some people who are thinking that Evans shouldn't be allowed back to play football, are saying that he is doing himself a great disservice by showing no contrition or remorse for his actions.

From Evan's perspective, he has always maintained he is innocent of the claims laid against him, so it might be understandable why he has not apologised and doesn't see the need to at this stage.

All in all, it might take the wisdom of Soloman to make a judgement on this one.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:44 pm

he should be keeping as low a profile as possible until his appeal (if he's granted one) has been heard
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby blue-nova » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:59 pm

I'm for rehabilitation in most cases. It's in all our interests for ex-prisoner's to be productive members of society on their release. If we consider that the prison time was their punishment, then, once out, all we should really want is for them to get on with their lives and not to commit another crime.

This kind of case is an exception for me - a high profile 'entertainment' job, which pays huge amounts of money, is a real privilege, and frankly rape, murder, or a serious assault is enough to take away that privilege. I fully support his right to retrain, and hope that he gets support in finding another job, but not one where 30,000 people are chanting his name each week.
My Man City quiz book (now in print as well as Kindle) still outselling the rags! I'll be able to afford a Balti pie soon!
Just published a Christmassy Football Joke and Quiz Book too!
blue-nova
Lee Bradbury's Price Tag

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:08 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:he should be keeping as low a profile as possible until his appeal (if he's granted one) has been heard

I agree and years later I'm not even sure he was guilty. Its such a fucked up case. Clearly he's an idiot tho. His current expectation to slide right back in without the drama that's unfolded shows that as well.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby getdressedmctavish » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:34 am

Simple issue for me. He's served his time. He goes back to work. Don't buy all this all rape is the ultimate evil stuff. If what he did was so awful his sentence wouldn't have been so short. That;s not to say he isn't a complete twat, but life is full of them. How much he get's paid is irrelevant. IMo cant rewrite the rules of natural justice because of personal beliefs about which crimes are "worse" otherwise we'll have half the population saying you shouldn't be a footy player if you've ever mistreated an animal or conned an old lady out of her savings. Lee Hughes killed someone in his car while pissed as I recall. Not getting any invites to my dinner parties. Didn't A Morrison have a record for assault? How pleasant is that?Anyway, his employers will fudge it and everyone can be proud they're not rapists again.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Socrates » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:01 am

For me, it is between him, his employers (or other prospective employers) and his parole officer. I have no view.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Lev Bronstein » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:02 am

I wonder if the same liberal attitudes would be expressed if the convicted rapist was a doctor. an MP, a judge, a lawyer, a chat show host, a teacher, a journalist a TV celebrity, a Radio presenter, a preacher, a school caretaker, a senior council officer, a senior civil servant and many other jobs.

I don't think so.

In addition, whilst he is having his name chanted by Sheff U fans, his victim has had to move away and change her identity.

Where's CARL and his "Broken Britain" stuff when we need it?
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby john68 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:38 am

Lev,

Under usual circumstances I would agree with your opinion. Those usual circumstances are that a person found guilty of a crime usually at some point acknowledges their guilt. In this case, Evans has, despite the evidence, verdict and the fact that he has already served his time, always maintained his innocence and publicised his wish to mount a legal appeal.

It may be the case that despite everything, Evans just may be an innocent man and actually telling the truth. Miscarriages of justice are quite commonplace.

If he was allowed to return, He has already served the punishment decided by the judge, who was society's arbiter on this matter. I do not believe he should then be subjected to a 2nd punishment to sate the vegeance of the crowd.

Regarding that list of jobs; many of those jobs bring the accused/guilty person into direct contact with vulnerable members of society, who we have a duty to protect. Beyond that, he has a human right to continue his life now as a free man.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby halnone » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:03 am

don't think he was guilty in the firs place
halnone
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Dameerto » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:17 am

Justice isn't enough these days, people want vengeance. I think we're around a couple of years away from a 'Running Man'/'Hunger Games' scenario.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:54 am

halnone wrote:don't think he was guilty in the firs place

based on hearing all the evidence i presume?
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Wooders » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:00 am

Definitely should have waited for the outcome of his appeal
Ched was to thick to realise what he was doing was rape and still is by all accounts
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:00 am

Can't he change his name to Chad?
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby mr_nool » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:06 am

Which authority should be allowed to decide that he's no longer allowed to play football professionally?
He's done his time and should be able to go on with his life.

That said, if I were a sponsor of a club hiring him, I would not be happy, and would probably try to end the sponsorship contract.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:16 am

mr_nool wrote:Which authority should be allowed to decide that he's no longer allowed to play football professionally?

That said, if I were a sponsor of a club hiring him, I would not be happy, and would probably try to end the sponsorship contract.

It looks as though this is starting to happen now, as per this morning's news reports.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Mase » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:21 am

Such a weird case. I don't know how Ched Evans got found guilty but Clayton didn't. It doesn't make sense.

Anyway, my mate is a prison guard in Leyland and when we went on a stag do back in May this year he told me that Sheff Utd had re-signed Evans then. Evans has been training a lot in prison anyway and keeping fit. Our very own Joe Hart went to see him a lot. He said when Joe was there it seemed like they were good pals. He mentioned David Weir going to see him a few times as well.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:28 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
mr_nool wrote:Which authority should be allowed to decide that he's no longer allowed to play football professionally?

It looks as though this is starting to happen now, as per this morning's news reports.

Sponsors have a divine right to protect their brand and this could be interpreted as a significant change in the contractual agreement with the club. Such things could harm the company reputation and affect sales etc, so as far as the business side of things go, I can fully understand it.

As far as the patron woman, she has her views and is free to express them and vote with her feet as she has done, however, she does not have the right to tell everyone what they should be thinking and become the moral judge on what is right and wrong.

I personally think Lee Hughes case was worse, he was convicted of killing someone by dangerous driving and served about 4 years. I dont think he has ever publicly apologised either! Also he was charged with sexual assault in 2011... where was the lynch-mob there when he returned to pro footy?
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby BlueinBosnia » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:52 am

john68 wrote:Regarding that list of jobs; many of those jobs bring the accused/guilty person into direct contact with vulnerable members of society, who we have a duty to protect. Beyond that, he has a human right to continue his life now as a free man.

Agreed. But (and playing Devil's Advocate here) doesn't being a professional footballer bring you regularly in contact with minors (under 18s breaking into the first team squad) as well as youth players and vulnerable people at community and charity events? Will any team signing him be required to provide proven safety measures to stop this happening?
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby ruralblue » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:05 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
halnone wrote:don't think he was guilty in the firs place

based on hearing all the evidence i presume?

Well known that a Jury only hears 2/3rds of Amy case and the rest is political argument and brokering deals. Only people who will truly ever know what happened are this who were in that room. Yet when someone torally proclaims innocence and sticks with their version of events all along then it casts an element of doubt to both sides. Had he not been a footballer he most likely wouldn't have got in the situation anyway. With regards to rape the saying of rape Is rape bo matter what isn't quite clean cut. If he had aggressively pulled her down an alley the castrate the bloke. From what we know this wasn't the case. It's an odd one really all of this. I do think he will go on and his name will be cleared in which case he's free to do what he wishes bit if he doesn't clear his name then he shouldn't return to the pitch.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum