Parking for home matches

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Parking for home matches

Postby s1ty m » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:31 pm

Advice needed, Blues, please. We travel up from Coventry by car and it is becoming a farce. We often use St. Brigid's car park but that is horrendous after the game...more so when Grey Mare Lane is down to a single lane and the temporary lights are not adjusted for the attending hordes. Ridiculous on Sunday. The official car park is as bad and we got stuck in the one opposite Mary D's for the Spuds game. We used the Orange car park last season and that was superb even at a tenner but now it is corporate only. I do not want to leave early either as that is plain daft and I'm not fishing either!

We used to use a car park on the other side of the athletics stadium and get away via the back roads. We got a ticket with 100 others for that first games at the stadium v Barca as no-one quite knew the score with where to park and the company lay in wait for us to park up. Question is, does anyone have a decent spot that allows a reasonable get away?

Any help would be great. After the M6 was basically diabolical on Sunday (50 m.p.h. max all the way to the toll is not fun), we are now thinking that the train is going to be the best solution. We need a travel solution. There are just too many cars these days, I don't think that is in any doubt.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Re: Parking for home matches

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:56 pm

I have started using the Tram now mate (I know that doesn't help) however, when I drove last season I parked on Palmerston Street, its 10 mins walk back to your car but you are straight onto the Mancunian Way and I never had to leave early. Its free and I have parked there for years with no bother.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Palme ... a31d?hl=en
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Hazy2 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:59 pm

Bridge ST, opposite the Bridge Pub, 7 min walk to the ground and Free, Cheeky Italian just opened as well, great for night games.......
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:06 pm

Wonderwall wrote:I have started using the Tram now mate (I know that doesn't help) however, when I drove last season I parked on Palmerston Street, its 10 mins walk back to your car but you are straight onto the Mancunian Way and I never had to leave early. Its free and I have parked there for years with no bother.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Palme ... a31d?hl=en

That works well for me too. Park down the far end ,it's a decent walk but you get away quick once at the car.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:36 pm

There's usually a lot of parking in front of and inside the opposing team's penalty area so I'd definitely avoid parking there if I were you unless you want to be showed up by David Silva.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby sweenyuk » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:01 pm

either get a train in to piccadilly and then tram, or park at one of the many park and rides for the tram, I park at eccles now and get the tram in for every game, look on the metrolink site for the best stop.
sweenyuk
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby zuricity » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:13 pm

Ask the opposition.... They usually park the Bus.
:-)
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby s1ty m » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:18 pm

Some great advice. Nutters. I think the tram sounds right.
s1ty m

Postby aristation » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:19 pm

I come from Warwick and train for weekend matches but as no trains back midweek I always park under Piccadilly and then walk it makes for a quicker getaway towards the M6
It may be my last year as a season ticket holder as it just doesn't seem the same with so few English and local players (but I said that last year)
aristation
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Shaun Goater

Postby YayaJonas » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:19 pm

I use St annes church. It's a fiver and about a 5 min walk away from the ground. Nice place and secure. Plus it's pretty quick to get our onto the manc way from there.
YayaJonas
Ben Thatcher's Elbow

Supporter of: Mancester City
My favourite player is: Yaya Toure

Postby s1ty m » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:58 pm

I think it might work if we car up to Ashton Moss and use the park and ride. I think that there will be fewer people going in the Ashton direction after the games than back into town...? This strategy (lol) would remove the daft clog on the routes out to the M60, from where it is usually plain sailing unless the M6 is behaving like a turd. Thing is, train is £31 each from Coventry with a railcard. And we could have a few beers. Direct train too.
s1ty m

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:28 pm

s1ty m wrote:I think it might work if we car up to Ashton Moss and use the park and ride. I think that there will be fewer people going in the Ashton direction after the games than back into town...? This strategy (lol) would remove the daft clog on the routes out to the M60, from where it is usually plain sailing unless the M6 is behaving like a turd. Thing is, train is £31 each from Coventry with a railcard. And we could have a few beers. Direct train too.

If you come to Sale. (M60 Junc 6) it is right on top of the M56 also and has a tram stop and plenty of road parking. A Tram to the Etihad is 4.40 return for an Adult ticket.
Wonderwall

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:35 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
s1ty m wrote:I think it might work if we car up to Ashton Moss and use the park and ride. I think that there will be fewer people going in the Ashton direction after the games than back into town...? This strategy (lol) would remove the daft clog on the routes out to the M60, from where it is usually plain sailing unless the M6 is behaving like a turd. Thing is, train is £31 each from Coventry with a railcard. And we could have a few beers. Direct train too.

If you come to Sale. (M60 Junc 6) it is right on top of the M56 also and has a tram stop and plenty of road parking. A Tram to the Etihad is 4.40 return for an Adult ticket.

What exactly do you do to convince them that yr an adult?

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:41 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

What exactly do you do to convince them that yr an adult?

Cheers

let my lad show his ID and let them do the math
Wonderwall

Postby john@staustell » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:01 am

We always park at the Velodrome when we come up now. But have to make a whole day of it anyway. When the eldest lad was about 8 or 9 we used to park on Platt Lane or at the complex and sometimes make an early getaway.

We have to leave early in case of delays and normally make the Swan at Bucklers hill by mid day. After match, now the lad is 27 (!) we just wait until the end and stroll out. That way not too many delays when you get in the car - past ASDA, then down Ashton Old Road/Mancunian Way and off, get home about 11 or just after.

Cant see any point in rushing about now I haven't got young kids. Coventry should be a breeze!

BUT - I have looked at parking in Ashton and taking the tram - that looks a viable option.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby bobby brows » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:01 am

The Corner Shop pub charges £6 just down from the Townley and its always pretty easy to get away from.

The beer is a bit naff mind.
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:13 am

bobby brows wrote:The Corner Shop pub charges £6 just down from the Townley and its always pretty easy to get away from.

The beer is a bit naff mind.

Corner shop is Palmerston Street, if you park on the road after the bridge and further down the hill its free
Wonderwall

Postby Goaters 103 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:09 pm

Not sure what the roads called but the road that has the Smithfield Market and the Abbatoir on it is free. Have parked there a few times and its an easy and quick getaway back to Oldham Rd and on to the Motorway network.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Sister of fu » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:15 pm

I use the car park on Bradford Road which is £5 and then sneak out via Miles Platting, through Monsall and out onto Rochdale Road or through Lightbowne. I still hit traffic but its better on this side of the stadium then on the Mary D/Townley side.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Mase » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:17 pm

Just walk from Coventry ya lazy bar-steward!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum