Jojo

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Jojo

Postby Blue2 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:09 pm

His passing has been poor the last two games. Bit inconsistent at the moment- probably due to his injury record. Not convinced either way.
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Hanging
My favourite player is: Aguerooooooooooooooo

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:36 pm

Why is there so much talk of Jovetic, if he isn't performing to a lesser standard than the others ? They have all been playing for City much more than he has. Why is he expected to be standing out, in a side which isn't performing at it's best?

His passing for instance. Very little difference to Milner or Aguero. Why is it an issue ?
He scored 2 v Liverpool. How often will Silva or Nasri do that ?

I don't understand why people are even asking questions. If he was performing below the standard of others I could understand it, but he isn't.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby dazby » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:12 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:I'm unsure about Jovetic but I hope Ted and OD are right in their constant backing of the guy. The quality and football brain he has, that should be plain to see for all and sundry. Whether it will work out for him here or whether he can stay fit is something completely different.

If it works out for him here though, we are gonna have one cool player. I don't know many players that play like he (seemingly) likes to do. He's an old school dribbler, most players get that beat out of them before they make the senior team.

Also, I have no idea what you mean with angry pills Dazby. Are you going to become more poetic now that MEN quoted you? Stay real!

By angry pills I mean that he was fired up. He was giving away fouls, going the niggle, and basically doing his best to get a yellow card.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:51 am

By angry pills I mean that he was fired up. He was giving away fouls, going the niggle, and basically doing his best to get a yellow card.

You think? I mean I can't really argue against it but during the match I certainly felt he was being treated a bit harsh by Oliver. Regardless, isn't that a good thing though? I mean, perhaps not doing too much and getting a card but getting stuck in and doing his fair share of the defensive work as well?
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Original Dub » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:24 am

The only thing stopping him from scoring and assisting more goals than nasri or silva is injury.

If he gets a run of games he'll run amok.
Original Dub

Postby AntMcfc » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:30 pm

Jack of all trades, master of none: Manchester City still unsure of best role for versatile Jovetic

By Paolo Bandini

When Stevan Jovetic left Fiorentina to join Manchester City in the summer of 2013, it was to pursue a single-minded goal. “I need to prove myself at a top club,” he told Gazzetta dello Sport. “Fiorentina gave me the chance to play in Europe, but now I want to win in Europe.”

Who could begrudge him such ambition? Four years had passed since he announced himself with a brilliant Champions League brace against Liverpool, his goals helping propel Fiorentina to the top of their group. Although the Viola were subsequently eliminated by Bayern Munich in the last 16, Jovetic scored twice against the Germans as well.

In total he struck five times in six Champions League appearances during that 2009-10 campaign. Not bad for a player who had been 19 years old when the season began. Even better for one who was not an out-and-out striker, lining up most often as a No. 10 or left winger in Cesare Prandelli’s 4-2-3-1. It was not until later, under Sinisa Mihajlovic, that we learned he could be effective leading the line.

Such versatility was among the assets that drew Manuel Pellegrini to Jovetic, a player who could be deployed in different ways to complement the talents of Sergio Aguero, Alvaro Negredo and Edin Dzeko. The Montenegrin boasts the raw speed to take on a full-back and the intelligence to link play, but also a deceptive physicality which allows him to hold his own against central defenders.

Or at least, he certainly used to. It is hard to know precisely what qualities Jovetic possesses these days, because we have seen him so rarely.

The term ‘Playstation player’ has entered into the footballing lexicon as a form of praise, ever since Arsène Wenger protested that Lionel Messi’s moves were like something out of a video game. But Jovetic, a man who famously celebrated one Fiorentina strike by pretending to sit down to a game of Fifa, fits the bill only in the most literal sense. If City fans have seen him dominate any opponent over the last 16 months, it was probably whilst playing on their consoles.

In 16 months with the Premier League club, he has made a total of 28 appearances – just 12 of those as a starter. He has been sidelined on eight separate occasions by illness or injury.

Jovetic missed the entire 2010-11 season at Fiorentina with torn cruciate ligaments, but his troubles in Manchester have not revolved around his knee. He has a different theory regarding their origins. “Maybe because I didn’t make my preparation with the team [after joining in 2013], I came when they started to play [pre-season] games and I was training alone,” he told The Guardian. “I was always a step, two steps behind.”

The hope is that such troubles are finally behind him. Jovetic has already made as many starts in this campaign as in the last one. The problem for Pellegrini is working out how to use him. Against Manchester United on Sunday he lined up as a second striker behind Aguero, but never looked entirely certain of his duties. Tactics writer Michael Cox noted that the pair had combined just twice in 71 minutes.

Versatility can sometimes be a hindrance, and the lack of one natural role might make Jovetic seem like more hassle than he is worth. But with the right care, such talents can also prove the most rewarding.

Jovetic was compared to all manner of players in his younger years, from boyhood idol Andriy Shevchenko through to Johan Cruyff. But the most accurate assessment might have belonged to Prandelli, who compared him to Francesco Totti. He was not suggesting they were identical talents but simply that both were unorthodox players who do not fit easily into classical tactical schemes.

It is easy to forget that Totti, too, perplexed managers in his younger years. If Carlos Bianchi had got his way back in 1996, the player would have been sent out on loan to Sampdoria. Who knows how his career would have unfolded if Roma’s owner, Franco Sensi, had not pulled the plug?

Instead, there was Totti 18 years later, still at Roma and scoring against City last month as he wrings the last drops from a career that has variously seen him deployed, like Jovetic, as a No. 10, a winger, and a false nine.

It would be presumptuous in the extreme to suggest that the younger player could go on to match such a career. But equally, it would be foolish of City to toss him aside, without finding out what he is capable of first.
AntMcfc
Robinho's Step Over

My favourite player is: Yaya/Aguero/Totti/Busi

Postby Sideshow Bob » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:00 pm

the comparison with totti is apt, I think. jovetic will come good for us if we keep him at the club.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby sheblue » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:27 pm

We cant really judge him, he hasnt really had a chance yet. Like to see him getting a run of 10+ games then see.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:56 pm

Original Dub wrote:The only thing stopping him from scoring and assisting more goals than nasri or silva is injury.

If he gets a run of games he'll run amok.

I like him a lot. He seems a lot more direct than Nasri or Silva. A large part of our weakness especially in away games under both this manager and the last one (I daren't say his name) is a lack of penetration.
When we pass, pass, pass but can't quite break through and we're all crying for someone to take a chance or take a shot and make something happen. Sure some shots will hit the corner flag but others will go in.
Once he's fit I reckon Jovetic will prove invaluable in those sorts of games.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby blue-nova » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:20 pm

He always looks to be a busy bee on the pitch - just wonder if he flatters to deceive.

He appears to get involved in play a bit like Nasri and Silva - floating around between the lines - however he's not got a great record of providing assists. Then again, while he doesn't look like he's going to score a hatful, he does get himself in a lot of goal scoring positions - something Silva could learn from - and his goals per minute ratio is pretty good.

I guess we just don't know yet - he's only been on the pitch for the equivalent of a handful of full games this season, and a similar number the whole of last season. For me he's contributing, and clearly not a liability, so it's worth giving him game time and seeing what happens.
My Man City quiz book (now in print as well as Kindle) still outselling the rags! I'll be able to afford a Balti pie soon!
Just published a Christmassy Football Joke and Quiz Book too!
blue-nova
Lee Bradbury's Price Tag

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Dameerto » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:37 pm

If you don't know yet watch him tonight. Don't just judge him as a striker, evaluate his effort in relation to the job he does in front of our midfield.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby kinkylola » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:35 pm

jovetic is quality, given time, I think he'll go down as one of our best signings up there with Aguero and Silva.

Offers a combination of skills that I don't think any other of our players have. He's going to be the man.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby dazby » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:23 pm

sheblue wrote:We cant really judge him, he hasnt really had a chance yet. Like to see him getting a run of 10+ games then see.

What, like we did with Santa Cruz?

City fans don't have the patience for that. Sad but true, right Carl?
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Original Dub » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:44 pm

He set the goal up with a quality run but he definitely needs to settle down.
Original Dub

Postby zuricity » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:12 pm

I'll be really surprised if he starts a game for City from now until Xmas.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby sheblue » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:19 pm

zuricity wrote:I'll be really surprised if he starts a game for City from now until Xmas.

Why?.....
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Green & Blue » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:25 pm

zuricity wrote:I'll be really surprised if he starts a game for City from now until Xmas.

Has he got injured?
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby phips » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:28 am

i still have yet to see him put forth a good performance this season

this isn't soft as baby shit Serie A where you can do all these step overs and backheels

not giving up on him since he hasn't had a long string of matches and has been hampered by injury but i am not encouraged thus far
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby zuricity » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:09 am

sheblue wrote:

Why?.....

Because he has been given every opportunity to show and do something and has produced very little.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:38 am

sheblue wrote:

Why?.....

Because he's an idiot. (Zuri that is, not Jovetic)
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum