Demise of the "Clichy"myth

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Demise of the "Clichy"myth

Postby Duckman » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:41 pm

RIP.
private dick/family man
Duckman
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silva, Kompany, Yaya

Re: Demise of the "Clichy"myth

Postby Moonchesteri » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:02 pm

What myth is that?
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby PeterParker » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:04 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:What myth is that?

That he is a striker, good at darts.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:06 pm

Beyond shite today, yet again. It can't help what's going on inside him with the ructions in central defence but Kolarov should start in front of him every time these days.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Esky » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:09 pm

Constantly makes mistakes in defense and my heart sinks whenever he's played in near the opposition's box. He's entered that Wayne Bridge phase where I'm not sure what, if anything, he actually contributes.

Any outstanding EDS fullbacks that could be promoted anytime soon? If not, it's a position that will need to be addressed going forward.
Esky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Blue Ship

Postby Duckman » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:20 pm

That he is good at defending.
private dick/family man
Duckman
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Silva, Kompany, Yaya

Postby Blue In Bolton » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:22 pm

How has Greg Leigh been getting on at Crewe? Surely has to be a better option nowadays.
Blue In Bolton
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: David White

Postby Moonchesteri » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:26 pm

Duckman wrote:

That he is good at defending.

Ah. Thought that was buried ages ago. The Only quality he has over Kola is pace.but that doesn't make him a better defender and let's not even start on the attacking qualities
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby South Stand Balti » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:57 pm

Clichy is at his best when he plays week in and week out. He always looks indecisive and out of sorts when he is in and out of the team.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Goaters 103 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:48 pm

Poor today, but then again so was Kompany. And Toure. And Zabaleta. And Navas. And Aguero. And Fernando. And Dzeko. And most of all Pellegrini.

Do they all have a myth about them as well?
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby City64 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:55 pm

Clichy is having a very poor season .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby blues2win » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:44 pm

Fat Sam says ' Mangala's just come in and they're not protecting him. You can get players down the side of him with the space that Clichy leaves'. We haven't got a good defensive full back so we need Milner on that side to protect the space. That will benefit Mangala. In my view Kolarov should be favoured now because he offers far more attacking threat. We have a very promising young EDS left back in Angelino but he's probably two years off the first team. I would buy an older experienced left back who knows how to defend and get rid of Clichy to be honest.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:45 pm

Blue In Bolton wrote:How has Greg Leigh been getting on at Crewe? Surely has to be a better option nowadays.

No he most definitely is not.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby horlock2000 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:21 am

So Clichy is the scapegoat then?. Despite the fact Yaya has been absolutely woeful, week in, week out. Fernando is looking half the player he was before his injury and dont get me started on Navas.

Clichy has been at his best but, as mentioned above, we need a settles back four and by constantly changing it, Pellegini is asking for trouble.

For me, Clichy is still our best option "defensively".

There is a very exciting young LD in the EDS by the way.... Called Angelino, looks a very exciting prospect but not ready for 1st team yet.
horlock2000
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Blue In Bolton » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:05 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Blue In Bolton wrote:How has Greg Leigh been getting on at Crewe? Surely has to be a better option nowadays.

Thanks for that Doug. I am just dismayed at how far Clichy has regressed in his performances for the last couple of seasons and was probably a knee jerk reaction but he is fast becoming a liability.
Blue In Bolton
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: David White

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:44 am

Most games I've seen, Zabba has been as bad or worse than Clichy but is immune to criticism.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:51 am

Blue In Bolton wrote:

Thanks for that Doug. I am just dismayed at how far Clichy has regressed in his performances for the last couple of seasons and was probably a knee jerk reaction but he is fast becoming a liability.

Angelino is certainly a future possible left back but his strength is definitely his attacking play rather than defensive. At right back I think we have an even better prospect in Pablo Maffeo who I think is top class defensively and in recent games has been playing centre back even though he is quite a small lad.

My take on Clichy is that he might be marginally better than Kolarov defensively but not enough to make him first choice.On Saturday though he was awful with an assist for their first goal with his shocking positioning and then some appalling passes to make iut a really bad game for him.

Zaba isn't the greatest defender but such a 100% player he does get away with things helped of course by his attacking play and great link ups with Silva,Milner and Yaya especially. His main weakness is his speed which did get shown up once badly on Saturday but can often be seen when he has to chase back when attacking and out of position.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby blues2win » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:33 am

Soriano stressed that the Club are looking three years ahead with their transfer policy. That should surely include avoiding blocking the prospects of the outstanding talent now being nurtured by Vieira. If we do get rid of Clichy we shouldn't buy a young talent which would wreck the prospects of Angelino. Ditto at Right Back where Sagna was a good buy on a free but also because he won't block Maffeo who as Doug suggests is probably a year ahead of Angelino in his development.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Nick » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:49 pm

please can we play our most in form CB in MDM until we are settled..

mangala is starting to shit me up like savic did
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:36 pm

Blue In Bolton wrote:

Angelino is certainly a future possible left back but his strength is definitely his attacking play rather than defensive. At right back I think we have an even better prospect in Pablo Maffeo who I think is top class defensively and in recent games has been playing centre back even though he is quite a small lad.

My take on Clichy is that he might be marginally better than Kolarov defensively but not enough to make him first choice.On Saturday though he was awful with an assist for their first goal with his shocking positioning and then some appalling passes to make iut a really bad game for him.

Zaba isn't the greatest defender but such a 100% player he does get away with things helped of course by his attacking play and great link ups with Silva,Milner and Yaya especially. His main weakness is his speed which did get shown up once badly on Saturday but can often be seen when he has to chase back when attacking and out of position.

Thanks for mentioning this youngster Mr. H.

I don't think it necessarily follows that, just because someone is smaller, they wouldn't be any good, at PL level, in the centre-back role.

If it's the aerial 'warfare' aspect that gives concern, I think that a lack of inches can be somewhat minimised by the timing of the jump and the 'spring' that the defender can bring to the climb (years ago, I'm thinking of Ian Ross for Liverfool).

It's harder to leap higher from a standing start but, when just defending set pieces, taller players in the side could be detailed to mark the opposition's big so-and so's in those situations.

On the plus side, a smaller player might be faster, more mobile and more agile and, in this way, bring other attributes to the defence.

It'll be interesting to watch Maffeo's progress and what position he eventually ends up playing.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum