Fans attitude towards Champions League football

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Fans attitude towards Champions League football

Postby Green & Blue » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:27 am

How do you feel about the competition?

I'm really pissed with how we have performed so far in the champion league, managing only 3 clean sheets in 23 matches just about sums up our struggles so far.

It seems as if quite a large number of City fans are taking the approach that they don't care for the competition.I don't know if that's out of frustration at how the club has performed or contempt at how Uefa operate as a governing body.

I really want to see the club rise to the challenge and start competing with Europes elite in the latter stages of the competition.I personally feel our treatment from Uefa should be driving the club both players and fans alike to want to go on and perform better in Europe despite them instead of being used as a reason to undermine the importance of the competition.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: Fans attitude towards Champions League football

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:31 am

Green & Blue wrote:How do you feel about the competition?

I'm really pissed with how we have performed so far in the champion league, managing only 3 clean sheets in 23 matches just about sums up our struggles so far.

It seems as if quite a large number of City fans are taking the approach that they don't care for the competition.I don't know if that's out of frustration at how the club has performed or contempt at how Uefa operate as a governing body.

I really want to see the club rise to the challenge and start competing with Europes elite in the latter stages of the competition.I personally feel our treatment from Uefa should be driving the club both players and fans alike to want to go on and perform better in Europe despite them not being used as a reason to undermine the importance of the competition.

I have very little interest in the competition, rarely bothered going to the games when I was in the uk, and since living overseas with only a 2/3 hour time difference, rarely bother to watch the games on TV.

But that's not a city thing, Even before city started to qualify, I can't remember when the last time I actually bothered to watch a group game, because they all tend to follow the same pattern and were too predictable.

The competition having a group stage with its current configuration, is boring and always has been.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:32 am

I remember a few years ago watching the likes of Liverpool and rags in the competition and the atmosphere in big games was electric, it was like a cauldron, like watching the hamburg game and a bit more. I wanted to see us on those big European nights and to see our stadium rocking. It just seems the fans have a really indifferent attitude to this competition. We've played barca, Madrid, bayern and dortmund in last few years and not once have we had a great atmosphere. Not even half of the hamburg atmosphere.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:35 am

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:I remember a few years ago watching the likes of Liverpool and rags in the competition and the atmosphere in big games was electric, it was like a cauldron, like watching the hamburg game and a bit more. I wanted to see us on those big European nights and to see our stadium rocking. It just seems the fans have a really indifferent attitude to this competition. We've played barca, Madrid, bayern and dortmund in last few years and not once have we had a great atmosphere. Not even half of the hamburg atmosphere.

The hamburg atmosphere was in a do or die quarter final, and the united and Liverpool games you refer to are in the knockout stages too, their fans don't get up for the group games, and the munichs only go because their season ticket would be suspended if they didn't!

It's the group stages that's the problem, they are fucking tedious, and allow a team to make mistakes but still scrape by so on average the performances, even of the top teams are well below what they would turn out for a league game
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby john@staustell » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:39 am

Not sure why but my feeling is I'm with Spartacus.

Couldn't actually give a monkey's wotsit about the CL, the only thing that bothers me is the media deluge that follows when we slip up.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:40 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:I remember a few years ago watching the likes of Liverpool and rags in the competition and the atmosphere in big games was electric, it was like a cauldron, like watching the hamburg game and a bit more. I wanted to see us on those big European nights and to see our stadium rocking. It just seems the fans have a really indifferent attitude to this competition. We've played barca, Madrid, bayern and dortmund in last few years and not once have we had a great atmosphere. Not even half of the hamburg atmosphere.

The hamburg atmosphere was in a do or die quarter final, and the united and Liverpool games you refer to are in the knockout stages too, their fans don't get up for the group games, and the munichs only go because their season ticket would be suspended if they didn't!

It's the group stages that's the problem, they are fucking tedious, and allow a team to make mistakes but still scrape by so on average the performances, even of the top teams are well below what they would turn out for a league game
fair point, but barca was a knockout and the atmosphere wasn't great either, mind you it wasn't helped by the fact we set up like a league two side away to Chelsea. After years and years of mediocrity, seeing us play the likes of Madrid barca and bayern should be events to enjoy, but for some reason they aren't.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Goaters 103 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:44 am

The combination of high ticket prices, repeatedly pathetic City performances, poor atmosphere, gamesmanship by the players of all teams and abysmal refereeing has made me completely apathetic towards the whole thing, to the point where I wont be bothering with the group stages next season if we qualify for it.

Paying £35 - £50 a match to watch us stumble and fumble about, making the same mistakes again and again isn't my idea of value for money Im afraid.

Ive been waiting 4 years for us to man up in Europe and Im still waiting. This isn't a tough group we have this year, as its got 1 elite team in Bayern, 2 bang average ones in City and Roma, and effectively a pub team by European standards in CSKA. The "privilege" of watching 3 putrid City home performances - - 1 down, 2 to go - will set me back close to £200 for taking myself and two kids to those games. On a value for money scale its around the 2 out of 10 level.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:47 am

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

fair point, but barca was a knockout and the atmosphere wasn't great either, mind you it wasn't helped by the fact we set up like a league two side away to Chelsea. After years and years of mediocrity, seeing us play the likes of Madrid barca and bayern should be events to enjoy, but for some reason they aren't.

I think the Barca home game could well have been nerves, nobody really knew what to expect. And from the off the team gave the fans little to shout about. I think if city had imposed themselves on Barca early doors, the fans would have risen to the occasion, but the fans also have their responsibility to push the team, which more often than not turns to frustration rather than encouragement at the pace or tactics deployed. Classic chicken and egg situation.

Even the away game the fans were strangely subdued, I remember standing there thinking we were gonna get fucked, and even though most of the 3000 there up in the gods that night had been on the piss and in good voice all day, it largely fell quiet by 9pm but then everyone got up for it as city had a decent go in the first half.

I don't know the answer, but for me the whole competition is stale and boring until the latter stages, and even then the manipulation of the draws makes it all just seem so clinical and artificial
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:53 am

In the 1990s and the early part of this new century, I went a fair few times to the Swamp to watch some of the mid-week European games with a friend of mine who, although he is a Geordie, is a Scum fan (Just for the record, he used to get two tickets for himself and his son and if his son couldn't make it, he used to ask me. He had a beautiful Alfa 164 which I used to love and it was worth going, just for the pleasure of riding in that car).

From what I can recall, although the Swamp was pretty much full to capacity on such evenings, the 'atmosphere' was never much to write home about and the crowd were often quite subdued. To be fair, these were usually the earlier games in that competition, so the crowd reaction might have been different in the later stages.

All in all, it was nothing to shout home about and when, in 2002, he sold his 164, I didn't go after that.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Goaters 103 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:31 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

In the 1990s and the early part of this new century, I went a fair few times to the Swamp to watch some of the mid-week European games with a friend of mine who, although he is a Geordie, is a Scum fan (Just for the record, he used to get two tickets for himself and his son and if his son couldn't make it, he used to ask me. He had a beautiful Alfa 164 which I used to love and it was worth going, just for the pleasure of riding in that car).

From what I can recall, although the Swamp was pretty much full to capacity on such evenings, the 'atmosphere' was never much to write home about and the crowd were often quite subdued. To be fair, these were usually the earlier games in that competition, so the crowd reaction might have been different in the later stages.

All in all, it was nothing to shout home about and when, in 2002, he sold his 164, I didn't go after that.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose but you could offer me the chance to drive a Formula 1 race car to the game, and a seat in the Directors box, but if it was a Utd game at Old Trafford, Id rather nail my bollocks to a plank of wood.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:42 am

Goaters 103 wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

Different strokes for different folks I suppose but you could offer me the chance to drive a Formula 1 race car to the game, and a seat in the Directors box, but if it was a Utd game at Old Trafford, Id rather nail my bollocks to a plank of wood.

Haha, spot on.....rather a strange admission from MC there
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby lets all have a disco » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:58 am

Things i dont like.

Platini
Gill
UEFA
Pricing
Sterile Atmosphere
Corruption
Same draws
Crap performances
Dodgy reffing

Blah blah blah.

Even if City managed by some miracle to ever get to a final and i was eligible i'd let someone have my ticket,I cant stand this competition.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:07 am

We exchange glances.
We talk. She seems beautiful on the surface. She's pretty. She's funny. She's educated and can banter with the best of them.
I ask her for dinner or a drink sometime. She says she has a BF.

Fuck her. I never really fancied her anyway. She's incredibly average actually...i mean....look at all of her faults. I won't list them because I'm a gentleman.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby dazby » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:32 am

Spot on Dooms. The year that we win our first two games is the year the City fans embrace it.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Crossie » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:53 am

In my opinion it starts with the quality of the football which is governed by the referee's.

Its not actually football, its some pussy arsed version of the game that suits the global stars like Ronaldo and Messi.

Its like asking Union players to switch and play League rules once a week, its difficult for the players to adapt to the European style, especially if we're meant to play a fairly aggressive pressing game which referee's seem to think is dirty.

Also its quite clearly bent to fuck.

I'd like to win it once just to say he had, but in all honestly its really shit.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:54 am

City fans traditionally thrive on injustice & misery, so stuff like the two corrupt reffing decisions are the kind of thing which gets us interested.

Unfortunately, it would also require the team to look like they were really going to fight tooth & nail. That is not impossible, unlikely, but you never know.

One such performance, & a firm two fingers at the establishment, would change the dynamic of the whole thing, but it's more likely to be ten minutes of that, followed by capitulation, & failure, & everyone knows it.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:43 am

I think it is something to do with us knowing for nearly 20 years it was bent and designed for the elite that stops us suddenly believing it is the dog's bollox just because we are now involved. And quite right too.
Sadly it is important to the club that we do well in it.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:44 am

Hated it when the scum were above us, Hate it now like I hated the Rubik's cube.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Chinners » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:46 am

DoomMerchant wrote:We exchange glances.
We talk. She seems beautiful on the surface. She's pretty. She's funny. She's educated and can banter with the best of them.
I ask her for dinner or a drink sometime. She says she has a BF.

Fuck her. I never really fancied her anyway. She's incredibly average actually...i mean....look at all of her faults. I won't list them because I'm a gentleman.

cheers

ha ha
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby john@staustell » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:23 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

Did you wash after?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum