Fans attitude towards Champions League football

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Fans attitude towards Champions League football

Postby patrickblue » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:47 pm

I'm very firmly with Spartacus and John on this.
Bloody tedious competition, and much more suited to armchair glory hunters than anyone who actually follows a team.
Unfortunately, it's all part of the money grabbing gravy train that has totally ruined the game (and you all thought that City had done it single handedly).
I've never watched it in the past, hate that bloody crap theme tune, and all the discussions about pots and coefficients make me feel like sticking my head in a gas oven (bloody natural gas).
And to be honest, I only watch City in it through a sense of duty.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:09 pm

patrickblue wrote:I'm very firmly with Spartacus and John on this.
Bloody tedious competition, and much more suited to armchair glory hunters than anyone who actually follows a team.
Unfortunately, it's all part of the money grabbing gravy train that has totally ruined the game (and you all thought that City had done it single handedly).
I've never watched it in the past, hate that bloody crap theme tune, and all the discussions about pots and coefficients make me feel like sticking my head in a gas oven (bloody natural gas).
And to be honest, I only watch City in it through a sense of duty.

I watch them cuz I'd watch them play anyone, anywhere, ever. It's a privilege...the lazy,cold, glove-wearing cunts make my head hurt tho.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby blue 68 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:55 pm

Made the decision at the end of last season's campaign, no more chumps league attendance for me, not even that bothered about making time to watch live on TV unless it suits me.
The experience is not as good as PL games IMO, hate UEFA with a passion and think the competition is corrupt from the match officials to the very top.
I'd like to see more City fans simply boycott this competition to show their displeasure in the whole CL culture which too often makes my stomache turn, even the players seem to be disinterested and the atmosphere is quite frankly crap.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
blue 68
De Jong's Tackle

Postby phips » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:57 pm

i enjoy watching non-City sides play but, as far as City go, seeing as we're YEARS away from progressing to a meaningful round in the competition, i dont really care about it as a City competition.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby lets all have a disco » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:59 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:We exchange glances.
We talk. She seems beautiful on the surface. She's pretty. She's funny. She's educated and can banter with the best of them.
I ask her for dinner or a drink sometime. She says she has a BF.

Fuck her. I never really fancied her anyway. She's incredibly average actually...i mean....look at all of her faults. I won't list them because I'm a gentleman.

cheers

She's got crabs though.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Sideshow Bob » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:05 pm

unless we're playing I will watch only to see rodgers bent over and fucked raw by Madrid. *please let this happen tonight*
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:11 pm

I would love it if the 1000s of old school proper cunts who used to go on the Kippax etc attended, & gave the officials, oppo, UEFA & the tv wankers, the high volume of vicious, rude, nasty & intimidating abuse they deserve. I would be there like a shot if it was like that, but we don't do that anymore. It's too fucking nice.

Roy Keane should be quaking in his fucking boots at the thought of turning up at City & sttanding on the pitch, but the cunt could just stand there now if he was still working. He wouldn't have done that for any fucking amount of money in the 70s & if he did it once, he wouldn't do it again.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:32 pm

I really hope the atmosphere against CSKA is nasty and hostile and they fill the 3k away fans with cut outs of people with signs above their heads saying Racist and CHEATING BASTARDS alternatively!
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:52 pm

For me i love the champions league and we need it badly

Every player in the world wants to play in this competition and no player will ever be classed as world class until they prove themselves in this competition. Like it or hate it this competition is the pinnacle of club football in the world.

Our fans attitude to it seems very strange. Going on about how they dont give a shit about it and the league is all that matters but the fact is if we dont improve in the CL very quickly then we can forget about challenging for the league. Lack of progress in the CL means it been harder to hold onto the likes of Aguero and Silva, lack of progress means it been harder to attract the top players in the world and without them we wont challenge for the PL.

I know the responsibility of progressing is mainly down to the players, but the Adrenalin boost that the players can get from a full rocking Etihad should not be under-estimated. These nights are the most special in a players career and its a shame we dont have the supporters who can share in this.
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:45 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I think it is something to do with us knowing for nearly 20 years it was bent and designed for the elite that stops us suddenly believing it is the dog's bollox just because we are now involved. And quite right too.
Sadly it is important to the club that we do well in it.

It's important to the players too. This is what makes me fearful in regards our failure in the competition, participation in the CL is a good draw when it comes to signing players but the ability to actually win the thing is an even bigger draw, until we do that we'll be playing second fiddle to the elite in the transfer market.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby nottsblue » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:55 pm

It's odd but I was far more gutted at losing to Stoke than Bayern. More gutted at the draw with Arse than Roma and listening to the commentary last night I was annoyed, obviously, but not gutted like I would be for a Domestic game after only getting a draw from a winning position. The only games I've been really pissed about was Madrid away and Barca at home. Madrid because of the way we lost with five mins to go and Barca because we played the brand and not the team.

Anyone else just not as bothered about Euro games at the moment? I just don't know why either
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby City64 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:58 pm

When our very first CL home game came along the pride I felt for being there , being part of it , the elite , the niche ..........we had finally made it . Standing tall on the very first home game with a lump in my throat and close to tears as the players lined up versus Napoli and CL anthem sounding glorious and beautifull .........the romance of it all .

4 years later seeing and knowing what goes on , how bent the whole system seems I feel corrupted and let down , an anti climax overrated shite . Yes we haven't played well more times than not , yes we have had some horrendous bad luck , yes there seem to be obstacles put in our way on many many occasions , yes I am like many true City fans fucked off with the competition ! But you know what it was like this before we won our first Premier League title but we got there ;-)

It would be the biggest fucking achievement of all if one day we were Champions of Europe and yes we could all stick two fingers up at every cunt who hates us just like we did when we won that first Premier League title !!!

MCFC FOREVER
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby PrezIke » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:14 pm

FA cup winners 2006 wrote:For me i love the champions league and we need it badly

Every player in the world wants to play in this competition and no player will ever be classed as world class until they prove themselves in this competition. Like it or hate it this competition is the pinnacle of club football in the world.

Our fans attitude to it seems very strange. Going on about how they dont give a shit about it and the league is all that matters but the fact is if we dont improve in the CL very quickly then we can forget about challenging for the league. Lack of progress in the CL means it been harder to hold onto the likes of Aguero and Silva, lack of progress means it been harder to attract the top players in the world and without them we wont challenge for the PL.

I know the responsibility of progressing is mainly down to the players, but the Adrenalin boost that the players can get from a full rocking Etihad should not be under-estimated. These nights are the most special in a players career and its a shame we dont have the supporters who can share in this.

this.

boycotting the games is surely not going to work in our favour as one would think that players want to play for supporters who actually support them, no?

listen to komps complaining about none of our fans being at yesterday's match. it's what keeps players motivated and excited about the club.

sure, we offered our players massive wages to get them and to keep them, but the memory of 13 may 2012 and last season, giving such glorious moments to the fans must surely be a factor in their feelings about staying here and wanting to win things we were not expected to experience over our rivals.

i don't really understand our performance other than complacency in the second half yesterday, but the team needs a boost and if i could afford to place my arse in a seat at the etihad to scream as loudly as i could to cheer us on i'd be there.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby MilnersJaw » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:04 pm

Rags in work today were going on about the champions league and how we've not won a game this year in it. I said I wasn't that arsed and that Id rather we win the Perm league consistently. They didn't understand and triednto slag me off for it. They think the chumps league is the holy Grail.
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silver

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:45 pm

MilnersJaw wrote:Rags in work today were going on about the champions league and how we've not won a game this year in it. I said I wasn't that arsed and that Id rather we win the Perm league consistently. They didn't understand and triednto slag me off for it. They think the chumps league is the holy Grail.

Got to agree with the rags here because i dont understand that thinking either. The CL is the holy grail to every professional footballer and to our owners. The only ones that dont seem interested in it is our own fans which is such small time thinking.

If we can become a contender for the CL, we will win more than our fair share of PL titles along the way
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby BlueinBosnia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:45 pm

As someone who attends 3 games per season if lucky, I'd pick a League Cup game over a CL game - if I had the choice between attending one or the other - as a midweek fixture.

I pretty much always have better things to do than watch us in the CL on telly, but will try to take time out for a domestic midweek or monday night game.

It's not that I'm some kind of rabid anti-UEFA nut, it's just that I've never grown up with European football, and see it more as a 'bonus level/christmas special' (depending on whether you want to use a video game or TV series analogy) than a core part of the football-supporting calendar.

I'd be interested to hear older fans' views on how European competition support was for us in the 1970s, as we won a Cup at the second chance we got. How did support go from there? Also, how were away trips 'behind the Iron Curtain' (if anyone on here went)?
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby failsworthblue » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:03 pm

I have had enough now.

Cancelled my Champs League ticket scheme today so do not have to get an automatic ticket for the Bayern game and got a refund on the CSKA game so not going to that as well, saved £70 to boot.

It feels bad because I totally believe in the owners, what they want to achieve, what they have brought us so far and there will be more to come.

I have not enjoyed one single game at home since we got in it.

Frustrated!
failsworthblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby london blue 2 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:43 pm

failsworthblue wrote:I have had enough now.

Cancelled my Champs League ticket scheme today so do not have to get an automatic ticket for the Bayern game and got a refund on the CSKA game so not going to that as well, saved £70 to boot.

It feels bad because I totally believe in the owners, what they want to achieve, what they have brought us so far and there will be more to come.

I have not enjoyed one single game at home since we got in it.

Frustrated!

I reckon you might feel different if we didn't play like a bunch of scared fucking fannies.

If we actually had some successful big European nights we might all feel a little more positive about this competition.

Bent as it is we MUST DO BETTER otherwise what's the fucking point...
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby patrickblue » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:48 pm

FA cup winners 2006 wrote:
MilnersJaw wrote:Rags in work today were going on about the champions league and how we've not won a game this year in it. I said I wasn't that arsed and that Id rather we win the Perm league consistently. They didn't understand and triednto slag me off for it. They think the chumps league is the holy Grail.

Got to agree with the rags here because i dont understand that thinking either. The CL is the holy grail to every professional footballer and to our owners. The only ones that dont seem interested in it is our own fans which is such small time thinking.

If we can become a contender for the CL, we will win more than our fair share of PL titles along the way

Rubbish. How is it small time thinking if you don't enjoy a particular competition.

And the holy grail to any professioal footballer should be playing for their country. Wanting C/L means wanting C/L wages, nothing else.

It's a bloody sheep thing, which is why rags and scouse keep on about it.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:09 pm

patrickblue wrote:
FA cup winners 2006 wrote:

Rubbish. How is it small time thinking if you don't enjoy a particular competition.

And the holy grail to any professioal footballer should be playing for their country. Wanting C/L means wanting C/L wages, nothing else.

It's a bloody sheep thing, which is why rags and scouse keep on about it.

Of course every player is going to be more attached to their country than their club but club football pays their wages and occupies the majority of their career. The fact is that every professional player in the world wants to compete at the highest level and at the moment that is in the CL.

The only reason some of our fans dont like the competition is because we are shit in it. If we were regularly qualifying for the knock out stages i bet the attitude would be different. The fans who are saying they dont give a shit about the CL sound like sore losers.

All my points above still stand, we need the CL as it is the premier comp. and the best players in the world want to play in it and if some fans care more about playing Stoke at home than welcoming some of the biggest teams in Europe to really challenge us then that is small time thinking.
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum