Penalty for waving an imaginary card?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Penalty for waving an imaginary card?

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:02 am

I saw in the highlights that Navas still hasn't stopped with his imaginary card waving.

I think it's a yellow card for doing that hand signal. I also think it should be subject to punishment afterwards if the ref didn't see it. Do it twice and you're out of the game. While they're at it, they can also hand out cards for crowding the ref and being injured outside of the pitch but then crawling back onto it to be able to delay play. In fact, if they do that I think one person in the audience should be shot at random.

Any thoughts on this?
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Re: Penalty for waving an imaginary card?

Postby Mase » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:26 am

Fabregas did it after every challenge one of our players made on a Chelsea player when we played them so I'd imagine Navas won't stop it ever.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Moonchesteri » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:34 am

Cocacolajojo wrote:I saw in the highlights that Navas still hasn't stopped with his imaginary card waving.

I think it's a yellow card for doing that hand signal. I also think it should be subject to punishment afterwards if the ref didn't see it. Do it twice and you're out of the game. While they're at it, they can also hand out cards for crowding the ref and being injured outside of the pitch but then crawling back onto it to be able to delay play. In fact, if they do that I think one person in the audience should be shot at random.

Any thoughts on this?

Shooting one spectator at random seems quite harsh. But if you make sure it's a home/away fan depending on who is the one acting and you are onto something here.

Seriously tho, these all are things that could (and should) easily be removed from our game but for some very strange reason nobody does anything about it.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby sheblue » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:51 am

There is too much cheating of all forms going on in football, clearly fifa uefa have not got the balls to sort it out.
you also hear TV commentators and pundits saying such a player should have committed a professional foul here there and everywhere, as if its the normal thing to do, in affect saying its OK to be a cheat when its not. What example is that setting to kids when watching. We have all seen it in under age games when kids are mimicking the actions of their hero's.
Its wrong.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby shortagain » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:20 am

Referee Oliver gave a penalty yesterday for wrestling in the box. I hope his lead is followed as this is one of the biggest spoilers in the game largely ignored by ref's, which is why it flourishes. Skirtle wouldn't finish a game!
shortagain
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Pablo Zabaleta

Postby charvet_wonderland » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:22 am

It winds me right up when I see players do this, and it disappoints me when it's a city player (I remember SWP went through a phase).

But why? We regularly hear commentators saying something like "...and he's clearly telling the ref that the tackle he got booked for was no worse than that one, and to be honest I think he's got a point": complaining to the ref that that should've been a booking/sending off is not frowned upon in any way (unless there's a few of them crowding round him), even though the body language & general circumstances make the meaning obvious to everyone. If you waggle your hand in a certain way, though, everyone's up in arms and it's "something we don't like to see".

It still does my head in when I see it, but maybe that's because I've been conditioned to react like that.
charvet_wonderland
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester
My favourite player is: Leonard Shaun Goater

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:25 am

If you watched the Argentina v Brazil game last week, you would have seen Neymar handle the ref about 5 times in a minute, I don't know how he stayed on the pitch, friendly or no friendly, it was ridiculous that he got away with it.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Original Dub » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:29 am

It would have to be a clear imaginary card though.
Original Dub

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:44 am

Does the waver have to be in the box or the wavee?
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:24 am

Original Dub wrote:It would have to be a clear imaginary card though.

Indeed, poor Italian refs wouldn't know if they're coming or going.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Goaters 103 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:16 am

Mase wrote:Fabregas did it after every challenge one of our players made on a Chelsea player when we played them so I'd imagine Navas won't stop it ever.

Some of the antics and consistent fouling that Fabregas gets away with is startling. He seems to be able to commit 20 fouls before any thought of a card from the ref, and that's aside from the card waving, backchat and way he behaves on the field. One of the players you aren't allowed to tackle just like Pires was when he played at Arsenal.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Goaters 103 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:17 am

shortagain wrote:Referee Oliver gave a penalty yesterday for wrestling in the box. I hope his lead is followed as this is one of the biggest spoilers in the game largely ignored by ref's, which is why it flourishes. Skirtle wouldn't finish a game!

You could give a penalty on every corner kick that Shawcross and Skrtel defend and its about time someone did. If refs gave pens for it as they should, the offence would disappear very quickly.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby BlueinBosnia » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:22 pm

Rooney's won many a penalty through waving an imaginary card...
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:40 pm

Indeed. But what if a player put his hand to an imaginary pocket in his shorts, where a card could conceivably be hidden?...he hasn't pulled it out, but is the intention there? I'd introduce amber cards for this
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby Sideshow Bob » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:44 pm

Wonderwall wrote:If you watched the Argentina v Brazil game last week, you would have seen Neymar handle the ref about 5 times in a minute, I don't know how he stayed on the pitch, friendly or no friendly, it was ridiculous that he got away with it.

I saw that and it was disgusting. neymar and all of the other cunt brasilians like marcelo were pushing and shoving the ref with total impunity....in a fucking friendly!! fifa should have taken retrospective action. but we all know the marketability of their little golden boy must be protected.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Original Dub » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:53 pm

Bianchi on Ice wrote:

Indeed. But what if a player put his hand to an imaginary pocket in his shorts, where a card could conceivably be hidden?...he hasn't pulled it out, but is the intention there? I'd introduce amber cards for this

I'd imagine this would work.
Clearly.
Original Dub

Postby twosips » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:16 pm

What's the difference between a player just actually saying 'that's a booking ref!' (Which they all do - every single player, even probably us in Sunday league games) to someone waving a card? There isn't one.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby mr_nool » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:46 pm

Maybe a silly point, but waving the imaginary card puts more pressure on the ref, since you're showing forty odd thousands in the stands what you think (and what they should be thinking) - not to mention the million watching it on the telly. Telling the ref that it was a booking stays between the two of you.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby twosips » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:47 pm

mr_nool wrote:Maybe a silly point, but waving the imaginary card puts more pressure on the ref, since you're showing forty odd thousands in the stands what you think (and what they should be thinking) - not to mention the million watching it in the telly. Telling the ref that it was a booking stays between the two of you.

The only difference is that we see it happen so we care. It's that simple (and stupid imo)... no one gives a fuck if its person to person - its usually the foreigners doing it too cos of language barriers which fits the cheating foreigner stereotype.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:45 am

The only difference is that we see it happen so we care. It's that simple (and stupid imo)... no one gives a fuck if its person to person - its usually the foreigners doing it too cos of language barriers which fits the cheating foreigner stereotype.

I'm sorry but I just don't agree with basically any of that.

1. You have no idea if I or anyone else thinks about people talking to the ref contra waving an imaginary card. I'd be all for the ref giving someone a yellow card for mouthing off and I only think the team captain should be allowed to talk to the ref, for example. Crowding the ref is a lousy thing to do IMHO. Plus you see a lot of people getting worked up about cursing and that sort of stuff, especially if it comes from a certain captain across town. Furthermore, just because I think a player should be banned for life for doing something racist, doesn't mean I think it's ok for someone to mouth off about jewish conspiracies, lebensraum and slavic underhumans to the ref. I think both are bad and I presume and hope the refs to something about both. So take it easy with the presumptions :).

2. I can only speak for myself but I'm from Sweden, you are all foreigners to me, so it doesn't really matter if a player comes from Spain or England.

3. When you want to defend people from perceived racism you ought to make sure you're not belittling the very people you're trying to defend. I bet even Tevez knew how to say "booking" "red card" "yellow card" or "penalty (which by the way is penalty, pronounced penaaalty, in Spanish). They're from another country, they're not dumber than dogs. Also, there's no language barrier between players plying their trade in the Spanish league and their referees who are also from Spain, for example.

4. In the end, there's also the signal value. If you strike down on card waving, that will most likely send a signal to the players not to try to influence the ref to the same degree anymore. What happens after that I guess would be the issue for the next debate or thread on this forum.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum