Penalty for waving an imaginary card?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Penalty for waving an imaginary card?

Postby Nickyboy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:28 am

I don't get what all the fuss is about when there has been a genuine foul committed. I wave my imaginary card around the South Stand every time a City player gets fouled and don't give a shit if players do the same. Doubt it has any real influence on the ref anyway, who generally already have their hands in their pockets before they even stopped blowing the whistle. Its just a way for players to have a little whinge and let off some steam when they've been fouled. Rather they waved an imaginary card over retaliating with a kick etc.

Waving an imaginary card after a dive though.... that's a different story
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby littlebig » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:31 pm

This has got to go. Makes me cringe every time I see it.
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby Moonchesteri » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:08 pm

littlebig wrote:This has got to go. Makes me cringe every time I see it.

come on. the thread isnt that bad!
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:18 pm

Hate it, makes me cringe seeing our players or any others do it. Should be a bookable offence every time.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:18 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:
The only difference is that we see it happen so we care. It's that simple (and stupid imo)... no one gives a fuck if its person to person - its usually the foreigners doing it too cos of language barriers which fits the cheating foreigner stereotype.

I'm sorry but I just don't agree with basically any of that.

1. You have no idea if I or anyone else thinks about people talking to the ref contra waving an imaginary card. I'd be all for the ref giving someone a yellow card for mouthing off and I only think the team captain should be allowed to talk to the ref, for example. Crowding the ref is a lousy thing to do IMHO. Plus you see a lot of people getting worked up about cursing and that sort of stuff, especially if it comes from a certain captain across town. Furthermore, just because I think a player should be banned for life for doing something racist, doesn't mean I think it's ok for someone to mouth off about jewish conspiracies, lebensraum and slavic underhumans to the ref. I think both are bad and I presume and hope the refs to something about both. So take it easy with the presumptions :).

2. I can only speak for myself but I'm from Sweden, you are all foreigners to me, so it doesn't really matter if a player comes from Spain or England.

3. When you want to defend people from perceived racism you ought to make sure you're not belittling the very people you're trying to defend. I bet even Tevez knew how to say "booking" "red card" "yellow card" or "penalty (which by the way is penalty, pronounced penaaalty, in Spanish). They're from another country, they're not dumber than dogs. Also, there's no language barrier between players plying their trade in the Spanish league and their referees who are also from Spain, for example.

4. In the end, there's also the signal value. If you strike down on card waving, that will most likely send a signal to the players not to try to influence the ref to the same degree anymore. What happens after that I guess would be the issue for the next debate or thread on this forum.

That's an incredibly long post to disagree with him saying that foreigners are cheats

His point was broad, but broadly correct when you consider where the cheating has come from over the years, including navas' and many others' card waving.

I actually agree with the poster that the likes of navas and other 'dirty foreigners' actually do it as that is their means of communication with the ref, eminently preferable to Rooney's verbally abusive approach in fact!
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:53 am

That's an incredibly long post to disagree with him saying that foreigners are cheats

His point was broad, but broadly correct when you consider where the cheating has come from over the years, including navas' and many others' card waving.

I actually agree with the poster that the likes of navas and other 'dirty foreigners' actually do it as that is their means of communication with the ref, eminently preferable to Rooney's verbally abusive approach in fact!

Perhaps I'm missing something here but again, to me the foreigner question is moot because English people are foreigners to me as well. I haven't seen a game in the Swedish league for quite some time but I imagine they go around waving cards there as well. I have furthermore not seen Silva, Negredo, Aguero, Tevez, Zabaleta, MDM, KOlarov, Dzeko, Fernando, Fernandinho, Kompany, De Jong and a lot of other players that are not from England wave cards so I don't see the foreign connection. If I saw Wilshere do it on the other hand, I would not be surprised one bit. Perhaps the players that go around waving cards come from the same place (I don't think so) but if they do, they're still not that many so that you could qualify it to be something connected to their nationality. IMO. If you mean that the originally quoted post was broad as in generalizing I say yeah, I totally agree.

I hope the length of this post was more to your liking!
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum