***city v spurs official match thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***city v spurs official match thread***

Postby gmercer1 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:14 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
gmercer1 wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
gmercer1 wrote:Hart and Aguero have been immense today

Makes up for Fernando and sagna being beyond shit.

2 shite players and win 4-1 will take that all day ;)

I didn't think Sagna was shite at all.He isn't Zaba we know that but his defending is good,energy good and he gets forward a lot but somehow hasn't got the quality of Zaba up front. Fernando was unusually poor today so I hope that's a one off.

The other player well below his best was Silva.Most unusual for him to misplace so much but I will forgive him anything.

Good 3 points with an average display I would say.

No I wasn't saying Sagna played shite, i was commenting on someone else saying 2 players played shit. I said its not bad if we can play with 9 men and win 4-1 in jest ;)
gmercer1
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby sheblue » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:18 pm

City64 wrote:
twosips wrote:Thought Kompany was poor personally. Constantly giving away needless free-kicks. Sagna had a good game though.

Agree with Sagna having a good game , he did his job well as Spurs were a threat at times on the counter , got through plenty of work .............it is part of Vinny,s game to break up opponents attacks where he sticks a leg or foot in , he got one wrong today but superb again for me.

Kompany poor? Really, yea boyata should have started. Please.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby South Stand Balti » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:20 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:One thing we seen from today is that we need to get somebody to replace Yaya and bed him in slowly to ensure we aren't left in the same situation as today. Yaya's been at the heart of our team for many years now and he commands that area, gaining the ball from every part of the pitch. It was so noticeable that he wasn't there and nobody took control of that middle ground. I was a lot more confident when he came on.

Overall, I thought we deserved to win and 4-1 isn't a bad score, for them or us, in regard to how the chances went.

Yes we do need to replace Yaya. He has been the most influential player in the prem for the last four years...but who do you replace him with? The lad from Evrrton is more injury prone than Rodwell so that's a complete none starter for me.
South Stand Balti

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:40 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:One thing we seen from today is that we need to get somebody to replace Yaya and bed him in slowly to ensure we aren't left in the same situation as today. Yaya's been at the heart of our team for many years now and he commands that area, gaining the ball from every part of the pitch. It was so noticeable that he wasn't there and nobody took control of that middle ground. I was a lot more confident when he came on.

Overall, I thought we deserved to win and 4-1 isn't a bad score, for them or us, in regard to how the chances went.

Yes we do need to replace Yaya. He has been the most influential player in the prem for the last four years...but who do you replace him with? The lad from Evrrton is more injury prone than Rodwell so that's a complete none starter for me.

We could come up with many but the powers that be always seem to come up with somebody different. Usually good by the way ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby twosips » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:38 pm

sheblue wrote:
City64 wrote:
twosips wrote:Thought Kompany was poor personally. Constantly giving away needless free-kicks. Sagna had a good game though.

Agree with Sagna having a good game , he did his job well as Spurs were a threat at times on the counter , got through plenty of work .............it is part of Vinny,s game to break up opponents attacks where he sticks a leg or foot in , he got one wrong today but superb again for me.

How does saying Kompany was poor equate to saying Boyata should have started? Bit of a mental conclusion to leap to. He was poor imo.. but i'm not psychic and i couldn't have predicted, and even then if i could i'd still take poor Vinnie over poor Dedryk. He's allowed off-days - just thought today was one of them.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:24 am

twosips wrote:
sheblue wrote:
City64 wrote:

How does saying Kompany was poor equate to saying Boyata should have started? Bit of a mental conclusion to leap to. He was poor imo.. but i'm not psychic and i couldn't have predicted, and even then if i could i'd still take poor Vinnie over poor Dedryk. He's allowed off-days - just thought today was one of them.

Kompany has got to cut out the fuckign fouls he commits time after time after time, just outside the pen area.....we got away with it again due to the shite free kicks that were taken, but one day we are going to pay for it.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby twosips » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:41 am

Agreed. They were totally unnecessary today.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:07 am

Sagna can't pass to a players feet, can't cross and goes wandering up field and caught out. Not sure that a couple of delighted balls being picked off makes up for that, but that's just me. Miles worse than zaba and not done anything on par with Micah yet for my money.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby aaron bond » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:44 am

Sagna was ok, as was Navas.

Zab and Milner are the perfect combination on the right - combining strong defensive attributes with excellent link-up play to provide a constant threat to the opposition. Sagna and Navas aren't as good, or never will be as good, as those two together.

However, they still managed to cause Spurs problems and demonstrated we have the ability to rotate our squad when required.
aaron bond

Supporter of: City

Postby geepeetee » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:46 am

Jeeez some people are never happy,,,, At least Sagna hasn't pulled his sicknote out yet
geepeetee
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: Kompany

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:24 am

gmercer1 wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:

I didn't think Sagna was shite at all.He isn't Zaba we know that but his defending is good,energy good and he gets forward a lot but somehow hasn't got the quality of Zaba up front. Fernando was unusually poor today so I hope that's a one off.

The other player well below his best was Silva.Most unusual for him to misplace so much but I will forgive him anything.

He wasn't. He showed a lot of strength on the ball and compared to his first game he seemed a lot more comfortable in his new role. I think by Christmas he'll be superb for us.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:15 am

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
gmercer1 wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:

He wasn't. He showed a lot of strength on the ball and compared to his first game he seemed a lot more comfortable in his new role. I think by Christmas he'll be superb for us.

Although, so far, there's been nothing to suggest it, a number of posters have previously pondered that Sagna might be a good option to fill in at centre-back in an emergency, or if the team formation ever required it. For my own money, I think centre-back might be his eventual 'resting place' with ourselves but I agree that, by Christmas, he will have fully settled in and he will have proved to be a fine acquisition for the squad.

On a different note, Milner has now played a number of consecutive games from the start, which is good to see. Hope Pellegrini is going to be careful as to how he uses him from now on, so that he's not going to be worn out by the start of the new year................

...................just joking.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Original Dub » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:49 am

Moving from full back to centre half is a hard transition, particularly late in your career.

Obviously one legend springs to mind but sagna won't be joining that club.

As carragher said "a full back is a failed centre half, everyone knows that"
Original Dub

Postby City64 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:24 am

Thought it is worth a mention the fact that Spurs came and had a good go at us playing their style of attacking football produced a great game and proper spectacle for the fans yesterday and also a good atmosphere inside the Etihad ......... full credit to them and their fans , much prettier than the usual 10 parked on there own 18 yard line shite mentality of other premier league clubs , fuck me think most of us are bored shitless of that incessant shite . Proper day allround just how it should be :-)
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby twosips » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:41 am

City64 wrote:Thought it is worth a mention the fact that Spurs came and had a good go at us playing their style of attacking football produced a great game and proper spectacle for the fans yesterday and also a good atmosphere inside the Etihad ......... full credit to them and their fans , much prettier than the usual 10 parked on there own 18 yard line shite mentality of other premier league clubs , fuck me think most of us are bored shitless of that incessant shite . Proper day allround just how it should be :-)

The only negative from a Spurs point of view is that they conceded four and last season we'd have scored 6/7 instead against that defence.. so yeah, they attacked, which was nice, but it won't exactly encourage other teams to do the same as it totally plays into our hands. Shame!
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:31 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:Sagna can't pass to a players feet, can't cross and goes wandering up field and caught out. Not sure that a couple of delighted balls being picked off makes up for that, but that's just me. Miles worse than zaba and not done anything on par with Micah yet for my money.

He has not been worth a starting place since he came to us imo. His passing and crossing is below average, especially his crossing and I will never understand why we should give him till fucking xmas to "bed" into a team in a league that he has spent the best part of a decade playing in!!!

Playing with players of Citys caliber it actually should actually make it easier to bed in as opposed to playing alongside average to shite players....just ask Frank how easy it has been for him to bed in with our players.

Sagna has been a big disappointment so far imo.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:20 pm

Original Dub wrote:Moving from full back to centre half is a hard transition, particularly late in your career.

Obviously one legend springs to mind but sagna won't be joining that club.

As carragher said "a full back is a failed centre half, everyone knows that"

Steady on, OD.

I'd hardly merit Carragher as being a font of footballing knowledge and sagacity (indeed I don't think anyone from Scouseland could ever be said to be that) and although twenty years ago his comment about failed centre-backs might have had some tenuous validity, in today's world the full back role is very demanding and exacting on a player.

I think Sagna has the qualities to be defensively capable in the middle, both in the air and on the ground and, as his legs start to go, he won't be able to motor up and down the pitch on the flank.

As a centre-back, I think he could be a better short term option than, say, Nastasic.....although I admit that might not be saying much.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:25 pm

I don't think there's much better back-up to Zab's than Sagna. Played at the highest level and has bags of experience. I think he'll prove invaluable this season and if Zab's can forgive him for his misdemeanour when he got sent off, then so can I ................... as long as he doesn't fuck-up.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:35 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:Sagna can't pass to a players feet, can't cross and goes wandering up field and caught out. Not sure that a couple of delighted balls being picked off makes up for that, but that's just me. Miles worse than zaba and not done anything on par with Micah yet for my money.

I think we have it too good.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Goaters 103 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:57 pm

Initially casual, eventually clinical. Sergio class up top, Hart pivotal at key times and Milner a bundle of energy and influence. On to Moscow.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum