December fixture changes

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: December fixture changes

Postby Sideshow Bob » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:48 pm

I just heard that EPL matches are 90 minutes long this season - can anyone confirm??
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:59 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:interesting fact for you...
before floodlights, there were very few games that kicked late
too dark to play later on wasn't it

Apropos of your point. I remember wagging school as a kid to watch us play Coventry in a cup game in the afternoon on a weekday. The reason being there was a three-day week at the time so no lights in the evening. We won in one of the best games I've ever seen (4 or 5-2 (off the top of my head)).
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Original Dub » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:21 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:The question of the New Year’s Day traditional fixture is quite interesting so I did a quick look on Google. I only spent 15 minutes on it and there was no obvious site with a full history, so this is hardly authoritative, but I did spot a couple of interesting things.

While I can’t find any reference to games on New Year’s Day in the first Football League season of 1888-9, there was certainly one on Wednesday 1st January 1890 in Bolton, where goal nets were used for the first time.

One thing that did surprise me was that New Year’s Day has only been a bank holiday in England and Wales since 1974. Now I would have been 14 at that time but I do not remember it at all - I can't believe my Dad didn't mention it! In Scotland it has been a bank holiday since 1871. So clearly English New Year's Day fixtures predate a formal bank holiday by a very long way.

If anyone knows more about how this fixture became such a tradition I would be interested to learn.

Now that is interesting.
Original Dub

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:56 am

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:The question of the New Year’s Day traditional fixture is quite interesting so I did a quick look on Google. I only spent 15 minutes on it and there was no obvious site with a full history, so this is hardly authoritative, but I did spot a couple of interesting things.

While I can’t find any reference to games on New Year’s Day in the first Football League season of 1888-9, there was certainly one on Wednesday 1st January 1890 in Bolton, where goal nets were used for the first time.

One thing that did surprise me was that New Year’s Day has only been a bank holiday in England and Wales since 1974. Now I would have been 14 at that time but I do not remember it at all - I can't believe my Dad didn't mention it! In Scotland it has been a bank holiday since 1871. So clearly English New Year's Day fixtures predate a formal bank holiday by a very long way.

If anyone knows more about how this fixture became such a tradition I would be interested to learn.

Take a Bow son, I didnt know any of that!
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby phips » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:51 am

Sideshow Bob wrote:I just heard that EPL matches are 90 minutes long this season - can anyone confirm??

how long are you watching football?
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:24 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:I just heard that EPL matches are 90 minutes long this season - can anyone confirm??

Actually then there is overtime...so.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum