2 up front

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

2 up front

Postby Wooders » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:23 pm

Time to fuck it off Pellers
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Re: 2 up front

Postby Dameerto » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:24 pm

Or at least mix it up more, we're too predictable.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Sideshow Bob » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:24 pm

Without beast it just doesn't work. Although I think jojo and Dzeko has potential.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby phips » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:26 pm

i said it in the match thread,

i wonder if Manuel will take notice. the past two games we didn't look impressive but then we switched to a 5-man midfield and we controlled the remainder of those 2 matches. coincidence? no, causation.

but, i don't think he will because he's painfully stubborn.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby zuricity » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:28 pm

Is not a problem.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby PrezIke » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:29 pm

I agree with how teams are matching up against us but i also think he does not want to change too easily because of how it could affect the players, psychologically.

Pellers has shown some willingness to change things with who starts after getting a few chances. Hopefully he considers the same with his own approach to leave a little mystery to opposing managers and how they can set up their teams against us.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby PrezIke » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:30 pm

zuricity wrote:Is not a problem.

That you manuel?
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Cit.revenge » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:35 pm

if u remeber last streak of wins we play with just one up front last season
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
Cit.revenge
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:24 pm

Cit.revenge wrote:if u remeber last streak of wins we play with just one up front last season

No mate, Dzeko/Aguero started 5 of the last six last season.

I don't think that pairing has a great chemistry tbh, both great players in their own right but they've never really clicked as a double act imo.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:06 pm

Aguero should pass to Dzeko more. I feel that at least Dzeko is trying to make the partnership work whereas Agüero seems to have an on and off relationship with Dzeko, probably related to who got sit in the front of the bus on the way to Villa Park.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby sheblue » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:38 pm

A top six of
Fernando dhino
Milner yaya dave
Serg

Strongest 6 at the moment, push yaya up a bit.
So YES big NO to two upfront, load of bollocks.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Goaters 103 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:09 am

Two up top can be used, but it depends on the opponent and location.

Eg at home to Burnley/Palace/WBA etc Id say 2 up top is a great idea.

However in any away game or when we are playing the likes of Roma, Bayern or any of the top 8 teams in the Prem Lge the idea needs binning.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby shortagain » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:21 am

2 up front can be used if the legs in the engine room are prepared to put the graft in. For instance you could have the 2 ferna's holding & silva + yaya creating & 2 from 3 Sergio, Edin & Stefan, depending on availability & Pellers preferences.

We get over run in midfield when 1 of the 2 DM's don't work hard. I'm sure Jimmy could play there as his work ethic is the best in the club. So you can perm 2 from 3 there. 2 from 4 AM's DS, YT, SN & JN. Frank can float between either as required till he crosses Atlantic.

You could obviously play 5 in middle in certain games, but 2 - 3 - 1 rather than 3 - 2 - 1 for me
shortagain
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Pablo Zabaleta

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:44 am

We won the league & League Cup mainly playing two up front & scored 150 goals but have lost or drawn the majority of games we have started with one up front.

So lets stop playing two up front.

Yep that makes fucking perfect sense.

How about we leave the Count to work out which formations & which players within those formations actually work & which don't, rather than making stupid rules about never playing a system which has been more successful for us than any other in the history of the fucking club ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:20 am

Ted Hughes wrote:We won the league & League Cup mainly playing two up front & scored 150 goals but have lost or drawn the majority of games we have started with one up front.

How about we leave the Count to work out which formations & which players within those formations actually work & which don't, rather than making stupid rules about never playing a system which has been more successful for us than any other in the history of the fucking club ?

I was at Villa, and many fans would say for an hour the two upfront were either in each others way or Edin was out on the wing. 2 upfront works ok, however Saturday the game opened up when we had the ball higher up the pitch and in central positions, I also think Villa were dead on there feet. A Villa fan said to me City are the best team he ever sees at VP.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:52 am

On the BBC website just now:

Pellegrini stuck on two

Football
Posted at 11:37
Manuel Pellegrini
Tactics, tactics, tactics. We love debating them, don't we? Well, Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini is not for budging on his two-up-top formation, despite seeing his side beat Aston Villa on Saturday after they went to a five-man midfield.
"We have statistics of how many games we play with two and with one and the most amount of games we win is with two strikers and four midfielders," the Chilean told the Manchester Evening News.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Chinners » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:00 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:We won the league & League Cup mainly playing two up front & scored 150 goals but have lost or drawn the majority of games we have started with one up front.

Amen
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby sheblue » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:10 pm

Chinners wrote:

Amen

Things are not quite that simple.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Clowncrete » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:27 pm

Name me one game we lost because of a 4-5-1.

4-4-2 without very mobile center mids and high pressing will always be disastrous against better teams in the Cl and the PL.
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:41 pm

sheblue wrote:
Chinners wrote:

Amen

Things are not quite that simple.

Yes they absolutely are. As our manager is quoted, pointing out to people, above. We win games & score goals with two upfront. It may be the case that we are forced to adapt in some circumstances & it may be that we evolve into something else, but the idea of just dumping 2 upfront because we have difficulty in a few games is frankly, fucking stupid.

It may be the case that Fernando solves the problem, or Jovetic or that a slight adjustment to the way Milner of Nasri/Navas play is the answer. The Count has been at the club ONE SEASON & has not yet even had the chance to regularly field his planned team for more than an occasional game. Usually key players are injured as has been the case with Fernando.

Everyone including myself can say we think he should have started with this or that team, but Mancini tried all of those things suggested on here, in Europe, & we were total shit. It's not just about formation, it's fitness, blend, confidence etc etc.

When the Count started with 1 upfront, uptil now, we usually don't win. When we played 4321 under Mancini, we ran out of ideas & teams sussed us out. The Count changed that & we scored 150 goals. He is entitled to continue using that if it works better, especially as he is willing to change to different systems during the course of a game. We have not been at our best but nor have we been shit, apart from in Europe.

Teams in the Prem are making it difficult for us, as they should, it's not easy to defend the title. So far we are doing ok at it & are right in there.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum