Europa League

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Europa League

Postby ScapeGoat » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:23 am

lets all have a disco wrote:The order should always be.

League
FA CUP
Champions League
League Cup
Europa

That's small club mentality, for big clubs it's:

1. Champions League & League
2. Rest

I'm sure that's what owners think as well
ScapeGoat
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:27 am

ScapeGoat wrote:

League
FA CUP
Champions League
League Cup
Europa

2. Rest

not for me, I am with LAHAD all the way on this
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby ScapeGoat » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:34 am

While I understand the tradition, FA Cup doesn't matter much outside England.
Champions league has by far most exposure globally, and that's what makes money.
ScapeGoat

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:37 am

ScapeGoat wrote:

League
FA CUP
Champions League
League Cup
Europa

2. Rest

Load of bollocks stack the league trophies up and the rest comes in due time you gotta walk before you can jump.

PS
How many leagues did Bacon win before they were good enough to win the big eared pot?
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby ScapeGoat » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:47 am

I'm not disagreeing on the League, if you fail there you don't even get into the Champions League, so it goes without saying we need a consistent top 3 League position. I'm just saying having FA Cup above Champions League in priority is small club mentality.

This quote from another thread says it well.

In the early 1990s, when United had finally taken the title, they were getting crowds of less than 40,000 through for Champions League games: 39,000 for Galatasaray’s arrival in 1993 and 35,000 for Honved. It took time for Europe to catch on.
Domestic competition – the task of dethroning Arsenal and setting about a challenge to Liverpool’s back catalogue of titles – was all that mattered at Old Trafford back then, just as toppling United is City’s obsession now.
Reigning domestic champions City might be, but they know that winning two titles by a hair’s breadth does not make them the dominant force in English football. That’s their supporters’ overriding ambition. This is a team who were playing Wrexham and Macclesfield 16 years ago. No wonder the domestic game still hold so much fascination for the fans. It’s why Reading last year had far more pulling power than Roma this week.
ScapeGoat

Postby ashton287 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:55 am

Hazy2 wrote:We need a run in Europe, many a team has cut it's teeth via this route, we could do worse, no disrespect meant but many blues seem to want to run before we can walk. This competition is beyond us it is clear to see a run in the second tier could be a good thing.

We can run and the CL isn't beyond us. Our squad is as good as any and football is football.

The reason we do so poorly in Europe is the tactics we employ. We change everything about how we play and don't attack at all. The only time we look ok in Europe is when we are down and we start playing football the way we do. I don't remember a single clear chance we created against Roma.

If we just said "fuck it, let's play our game and let THEM deal with it" instead of always being the team to change we would do better. But then again we haven't played the same 11 twice in a row this season so it's no wonder the players don't know their job and everything is sloppy and slow as fuck. 8 games in and I think we have chopped and changed every game. No need this early.
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: De jong

Postby Mark Garrett » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:22 am

Completely disagree with the comments that by putting League and FA Cup ahead of Champions League is a small club mentality. What a load of crap.

Football is more of a business these days than it used to be but ultimately we want to win things. The FA Cup is hugely prestigious and out of all the domestic cup competitions across the world, this game is still watched all the world.

We are not going to win the Champions League this season and frankly we are underdogs to qualify for the last 16 now. So if we drop into the Europa as a result, because we will definitely finish ahead of CSKA Moscow, then we should be looking to win the Europa League. It would be a first European trophy for the club since 1970 Cup Winners' Cup triumph, it would allow the team to grow as a unit in Europe more, improve our co-efficient, create some more European history.

Out of all our European games in the past 6 to 7 years or so, home to Hamburg stands out as a beacon of what a game, what an incredible atmosphere - it was right up there in the top 5 atmospheres we have had at Eastlands together with QPR and United in 2012 League triumph.
MANCINI Record at City

2009-10 League..................Pld 21 - W 11 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 40 - GA 18 - Pts 38...Finished 5th
2010-11 League..................Pld 38 - W 21 - D 8 - L 9 - GF 60 - GA 33 - Pts 71...Finished 3rd..FA Cup Winners
2011-12 League..................Pld 38 - W 28 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 93 - GA 29 - Pts 89...Finished 1st..League Champions
2012-13 League..................Pld 36 - W 22 - D 9 - L 5 - GF 62 - GA 31 - Pts 75...Finished 2nd

Domestic Cups record.........Pld 30 - W 18 - D 4 - L 8 - GF 63 - GA 36
European Cups record.........Pld 28 - W 13 - D 7 - L 8 - GF 43 - GA 29

Overall record at City......Pld 191 - W 113 - D 38 - L 40 - GF 361 - GA 176

(Updated after the Wigan FA Cup Final game)
Mark Garrett
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Shaun Goater and Sergio

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:30 am

Europa League usually offers better games. CL is a tournament that can cause a manager to get fired and therefore they take fewers risks and dish out boring strategies, rather going to penalties than losing 3-1. EL usually does not get anyone fired and teams are more often up for it. I mean, I don't see it as important so I wouldn't get to sad if we were eliminated from the play offs (if we end third in our group that is) but I would be delighted if we won it. It's a win win situation for me.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:30 pm

If we won it and the rags came 5th would they get the spot assuming we win the league, if so fuck it !
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Mark Garrett » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:34 pm

Hazy2 wrote:If we won it and the rags came 5th would they get the spot assuming we win the league, if so fuck it !

That is not the case no. If we won the League and the Europa League, there can only be a maximum of 4 clubs from one country in the Champions League.

Therefore the top 4 would get it as normal.

If Everton finished 6th say and won the Europa League and United finished 4th, Everton would get the CL qualification as the winners of the Europa League definitely gain CL qualification for the following season whatever happens.
MANCINI Record at City

2009-10 League..................Pld 21 - W 11 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 40 - GA 18 - Pts 38...Finished 5th
2010-11 League..................Pld 38 - W 21 - D 8 - L 9 - GF 60 - GA 33 - Pts 71...Finished 3rd..FA Cup Winners
2011-12 League..................Pld 38 - W 28 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 93 - GA 29 - Pts 89...Finished 1st..League Champions
2012-13 League..................Pld 36 - W 22 - D 9 - L 5 - GF 62 - GA 31 - Pts 75...Finished 2nd

Mark Garrett
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:42 pm

Mark Garrett wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:If we won it and the rags came 5th would they get the spot assuming we win the league, if so fuck it !

That is not the case no. If we won the League and the Europa League, there can only be a maximum of 4 clubs from one country in the Champions League.

If Everton finished 6th say and won the Europa League and United finished 4th, Everton would get the CL qualification as the winners of the Europa League definitely gain CL qualification for the following season whatever happens.

do the europa winners go into the CL qualification round just like the prem 4th place team?
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby nottsblue » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:18 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Not for me. Not that I wouldn't want to win the Europa League as I'm not a snob but I don't like the format of CL teams falling into the Europa and pissing on the chips of all those who have played a billion games to get to the play-offs.

If it's such an integrated league, where one supplements the other, then let those who win their groups move into the CL.

No, thought not.

Really good post.

If there ever was a distinct 'danger' of us coming only third and going into the Europa, I think we should put a load of youngsters into the side and see what happens.

If we were to still 'qualify' for the Europa after all that, IMHO we should continue to play a complete team of youngsters in that competition until we were knocked out.

Re the 'danger of finishing third'.

If we beat CSKA twice or win/draw we are almost certain of third and qualification would still be in our own hands so I doubt we would throw any EDS lads into the last two group games. If we come off worse v CSKA then we are likely to finish bottom anyway
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Clowncrete » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:31 pm

Why would any of you want another 2012 like year which will drag our co-efficiant down?
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby Mark Garrett » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:40 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Mark Garrett wrote:

do the europa winners go into the CL qualification round just like the prem 4th place team?

Yes i believe the Europa winners will go into the play off round like the 4th place team would.
MANCINI Record at City

Mark Garrett
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Original Dub » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:11 am

Clowncrete wrote:Why would any of you want another 2012 like year which will drag our co-efficiant down?

Co efficiency is on its way out.
Original Dub

Postby PrezIke » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:20 am

Original Dub wrote:
Clowncrete wrote:Why would any of you want another 2012 like year which will drag our co-efficiant down?

are we really going to see that from uefa or is that just a rumour/journalist bollox?
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Clowncrete » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:14 am

Original Dub wrote:

Only if we get to Group 1. Not otherwise.
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

Postby nottsblue » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:04 pm

Looking like third is most likely. We can still get second but somehow I just don't see it. Yes Bayern may have already qualified by the time we play them and even if we win that, Roma away is a tough ask. I'd put our chances of second at 25%.

Do we attempt to go all out and win the Europa or do we sack it off in first round and concentrate on domestic treble?

Benefits of both, but for me establishing a domestic superiority in winning more trophies at home outweighs Euro success
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Clowncrete » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:58 pm

nottsblue wrote:Looking like third is most likely. We can still get second but somehow I just don't see it. Yes Bayern may have already qualified by the time we play them and even if we win that, Roma away is a tough ask. I'd put our chances of second at 25%.

Do we attempt to go all out and win the Europa or do we sack it off in first round and concentrate on domestic treble?

Benefits of both, but for me establishing a domestic superiority in winning more trophies at home outweighs Euro success

If we end up third, then we will play in the knockout in Feb. By that time we will know whether we can win the league. If we do another 2012-13 in the league, then we may as well chase the Europa league and FA cup after that.
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

Postby ross.mcfc » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:32 pm

Considering how awful we have been in the Champions League I think it would stink of arrogance to treat the Europa League with disrespect.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum