Europa League

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Europa League

Postby nottsblue » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:45 pm

Clowncrete wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Looking like third is most likely. We can still get second but somehow I just don't see it. Yes Bayern may have already qualified by the time we play them and even if we win that, Roma away is a tough ask. I'd put our chances of second at 25%.

Do we attempt to go all out and win the Europa or do we sack it off in first round and concentrate on domestic treble?

Benefits of both, but for me establishing a domestic superiority in winning more trophies at home outweighs Euro success

If we end up third, then we will play in the knockout in Feb. By that time we will know whether we can win the league. If we do another 2012-13 in the league, then we may as well chase the Europa league and FA cup after that.

We already know we CAN win the league. Whether we do or not may depend on a potential fixture pile up and/or the impact of Thursday football and the disruption that causes. I'd love us to have a good chance of a Euro trophy, but nit to the detriment of the domestic campaign
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Moonchesteri » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:45 pm

ross.mcfc wrote:Considering how awful we have been in the Champions League I think it would stink of arrogance to treat the Europa League with disrespect.

Bang on the money. not to mention I'd love to win it
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby sweenyuk » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:51 pm

In the past I have always said keep out of Europa but this time I feel we should go for it big style assuming we dont qualify through to the next stage of champs league. The reason is simple, our short term target is champs league qualification every season with long term to win it on a regular basis, so lets win Europa now to ensure once we win champs league we then have the full set of domestic and european trophies all won in the same generation.
sweenyuk
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:47 am

So long being shit and now we want to get choosy about which trophies we go for.? Also a big sesh on the lash for a final would be fucking great fun.
If we do end up in it, let's get at em.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:13 am

nottsblue wrote:
Clowncrete wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Looking like third is most likely. We can still get second but somehow I just don't see it. Yes Bayern may have already qualified by the time we play them and even if we win that, Roma away is a tough ask. I'd put our chances of second at 25%.

Do we attempt to go all out and win the Europa or do we sack it off in first round and concentrate on domestic treble?

Benefits of both, but for me establishing a domestic superiority in winning more trophies at home outweighs Euro success

If we end up third, then we will play in the knockout in Feb. By that time we will know whether we can win the league. If we do another 2012-13 in the league, then we may as well chase the Europa league and FA cup after that.

We already know we CAN win the league. Whether we do or not may depend on a potential fixture pile up and/or the impact of Thursday football and the disruption that causes. I'd love us to have a good chance of a Euro trophy, but nit to the detriment of the domestic campaign

Good call.

The only other thought with regard to the Euro is, in my opinion, that we need to start giving some of our youngsters a chance in the first team. The League, at times, might be too important an area to 'risk' blooding such players, so the Euro does suggest itself as one medium where we could achieve this.

In fact, if it were up to me, I think I'd go the whole hog and play only the youngsters in that competition and leave it entirely to them, to see how they (and Vieira, for that matter) get on.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby nottsblue » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:55 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
Clowncrete wrote:

Good call.

The only other thought with regard to the Euro is, in my opinion, that we need to start giving some of our youngsters a chance in the first team. The League, at times, might be too important an area to 'risk' blooding such players, so the Euro does suggest itself as one medium where we could achieve this.

In fact, if it were up to me, I think I'd go the whole hog and play only the youngsters in that competition and leave it entirely to them, to see how they (and Vieira, for that matter) get on.

In theory that would work. In practical terms probably not. There is no way UEFA would allow us to effectively put out an EDS team. The disruption is in as much the travelling and the lack of training preparatipn for the weekend game. Say for example we play away on a Thursday. We travel on the Tuesday morning. Train for the game Wedesday. Play Thursday and come home Friday. That leaves only Saturday to prepare for Sundays game. Even if five first teamers played on Thursday, it doesn't leave much scope for them to have played the preceeding and folliwing Prem weekends. Our squad could be stretched thinly. Of course, if we go out early in League and FA cups this isn't as much of a problem, but lets assume we'll progress in both of these competitions.
nottsblue

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:02 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
Clowncrete wrote:

Good call.

In theory that would work. In practical terms probably not. There is no way UEFA would allow us to effectively put out an EDS team. The disruption is in as much the travelling and the lack of training preparatipn for the weekend game. Say for example we play away on a Thursday. We travel on the Tuesday morning. Train for the game Wedesday. Play Thursday and come home Friday. That leaves only Saturday to prepare for Sundays game. Even if five first teamers played on Thursday, it doesn't leave much scope for them to have played the preceeding and folliwing Prem weekends. Our squad could be stretched thinly. Of course, if we go out early in League and FA cups this isn't as much of a problem, but lets assume we'll progress in both of these competitions.

I fear you're probably correct in what you say but, just in mischievous terms, it would be interesting to see EUFA's reaction if we were to do that.

At the end of the day, I suppose, they'd probably have no compunction in throwing us out of the competition.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby ross.mcfc » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:45 pm

Who thinks we would get past the QF stage of the Europa League?
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby nottsblue » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:48 pm

At the moment the Europa is just a pipe dream. Just don't know where it has gone wrong.
nottsblue

Postby Original Dub » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:51 pm

nottsblue wrote:At the moment the Europa is just a pipe dream. Just don't know where it has gone wrong.

Pipe dream my arse.

I don't want us near that waste of energy.
we're trying to win the comps we're left in ffs.
Original Dub

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:52 pm

Fuck that, get us out of this shit. We won't get the break whether it's a great manager or not.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Dubciteh » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:55 pm

I'd want to if the refs weren't a pile of shite....
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:00 pm

The idea that we could actually nick 3rd in this group seems laffable.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:23 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:The idea that we could actually nick 3rd in this group seems laffable.

Is this the only time I've agreed with you?

Althoguh, Love ya man x
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby phips » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:23 am

no thank you. we don't need the extra matches.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby stevefromdonny » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:26 am

Not for me, won't go to watch any game. Rather be out then play another load of games and it could fuck us up if we are still with a shout in the prem
stevefromdonny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: any1 who plays for city

Postby aaron bond » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:56 am

We're clearly not good enough to make any sort of progress in the CL, so perhaps the Europa is a way for us to make some sort of impression in Europe.

Furthermore, the Europa is a way for us to boost our UEFA coefficient. Our lack of wins this season in the CL will mean the coefficient we achieve this season will be far lower than our competitors, and lead to us to continue to face tough groups. The Europa provides an opportunity to try and salvage a reasonable coefficient for this season.

Saying all of that, I can't honestly say I have much confidence in us progressing far in the Europa.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby john68 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:57 am

Considering the EDS squad have tonight qualified for the next round in their European competition, it would put a lot of pressure on the kids to expect them to compete in that, the Europa League and their domestic competitions.

TBH, I feared something like this was possible. Our game depends on our energy levels. Quick pressing, high up the pitch to regain possession and fast and incisive passing when moving forward. That is just not happening. We are too slow to press, too slow to get back and our passing has a slow, contrived lethargy about it. We lack that change of pace that made us so dangerous in our purple patches of last year..

We have only our own club to blame. A long hard last season was immediately followed by a post season tour for commercial reasons, immediately followed for many players by a World Cup that took up much of the summer. We engaged on a pre-season competition more for commercial than football reasons and our WC returnees only joined us in dribs and drabs.

There were players who weren't even ready for the new season. Our club chose commerce over football and I think it is showing.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby nottsblue » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:40 am

john68 wrote:Considering the EDS squad have tonight qualified for the next round in their European competition, it would put a lot of pressure on the kids to expect them to compete in that, the Europa League and their domestic competitions.

TBH, I feared something like this was possible. Our game depends on our energy levels. Quick pressing, high up the pitch to regain possession and fast and incisive passing when moving forward. That is just not happening. We are too slow to press, too slow to get back and our passing has a slow, contrived lethargy about it. We lack that change of pace that made us so dangerous in our purple patches of last year..

We have only our own club to blame. A long hard last season was immediately followed by a post season tour for commercial reasons, immediately followed for many players by a World Cup that took up much of the summer. We engaged on a pre-season competition more for commercial than football reasons and our WC returnees only joined us in dribs and drabs.

There were players who weren't even ready for the new season. Our club chose commerce over football and I think it is showing.

Sad but true. If we are slow and off the pace now, will we be on it in April/May? You have to say probably not
nottsblue

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:08 am

nottsblue wrote:
john68 wrote:Considering the EDS squad have tonight qualified for the next round in their European competition, it would put a lot of pressure on the kids to expect them to compete in that, the Europa League and their domestic competitions.

Sad but true. If we are slow and off the pace now, will we be on it in April/May? You have to say probably not

fuck that, let the current squad compete in the EDS and promote the EDS to the prem and Europa league.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum