Should Maicon Have Seen Red?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Well, should he have gone?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes : 52

Should Maicon Have Seen Red?

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:53 pm

A simple Poll asking a simple question. The laws state that he should have gone because he stopped a goal scoring opportunity (forget the 'Last Man' thing) but why was he allowed to continue, nearly scoring an equaliser a few minutes later?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Re: Should Maicon Have Seen Red?

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:56 pm

Not seen any reaction yet on here or tv. Still heading home but i counted 5 penalties tonight. Ref was shit. Maicon should have gone and pellegrini got it massively wrong.

Milner needs to be knocking on hus door tomorrow.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Blue Since 76 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:17 pm

Listening to the ex-Chelsea player and plastic rag on TalkSport they said it wasn't a red, as to be a goal scoring opportunity, the law states you have to have the ball under control. As it hadn't reached Aguero, it therefore isn't a red. In that case, it isn't, but the rule isn't quite right if it allows a player to stop a tap in by stopping the player reaching the ball.

That said, I couldn't really see the incident from the opposite end of the ground, so I'm not totally sure what happened
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby sheblue » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:23 pm

To be fair I don't think it was a sending off.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Moonchesteri » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:27 pm

Calm down, use common sense and you'll see it should not have been a red.

The hand ball on the other hand??
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:35 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:Calm down, use common sense and you'll see it should not have been a red.

Just saw a replay. He clearly denied a goal scoring opportunity. Its a RED CARD all day long.

I am calm too and have common sense
Wonderwall

Postby Moonchesteri » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:44 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Moonchesteri wrote:Calm down, use common sense and you'll see it should not have been a red.

Just saw a replay. He clearly denied a goal scoring opportunity. Its a RED CARD all day long.

I am calm too and have common sense

Ah well. We will have to disagree then.
I think my point at least partly comes from the opinion that the rule book is not ideal in this kind of situations. Often the penalty & red is too harsh which just kills games. and I felt this was one of them cases
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:55 pm

Just catching up with what the "expert pundits" made of it. OMG what the fuck is that ginger twat scholes doing at our ground the fucking slitherin wanker. I wish it was in 3D as i would have twatted the fucker out of sight.
Wonderwall

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:58 pm

Wonderwall wrote:Just catching up with what the "expert pundits" made of it. OMG what the fuck is that ginger twat scholes doing at our ground the fucking slitherin wanker. I wish it was in 3D as i would have twatted the fucker out of sight.

He has just said totti has been around for 15 years and its like we have never seen him. We havent done our homework apparently.

Well mr scholes with all the fucking answers. You were on the coaching staff for 6 months at the swamp and look what happened. Wanker
Wonderwall

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:46 am

Blue Since 76 wrote:Listening to the ex-Chelsea player and plastic rag on TalkSport they said it wasn't a red, as to be a goal scoring opportunity, the law states you have to have the ball under control. As it hadn't reached Aguero, it therefore isn't a red. In that case, it isn't, but the rule isn't quite right if it allows a player to stop a tap in by stopping the player reaching the ball.

That said, I couldn't really see the incident from the opposite end of the ground, so I'm not totally sure what happened

I'd like to see that regulation as from what I remember there is no referral to having the ball under control and just the act of 'Stopping a goal scoring opportunity'.

Seems we listen to these so called experts believing in everything they say and then using an incorrect ruling to back-up a point.

In other words, it's bollocks.

Aguero was denied a clear goal scoring opportunity by Maicon. The rule states that he should've been sent off but the ref chose otherwise, just like the ref did when Vidic pulled down the Villa player in the Cup Final. He should've gone then as Maicon should've gone last night yet the ref decided otherwise, how can this be the case?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Blue Since 76 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:29 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:Listening to the ex-Chelsea player and plastic rag on TalkSport they said it wasn't a red, as to be a goal scoring opportunity, the law states you have to have the ball under control. As it hadn't reached Aguero, it therefore isn't a red. In that case, it isn't, but the rule isn't quite right if it allows a player to stop a tap in by stopping the player reaching the ball.

I'd like to see that regulation as from what I remember there is no referral to having the ball under control and just the act of 'Stopping a goal scoring opportunity'.

Seems we listen to these so called experts believing in everything they say and then using an incorrect ruling to back-up a point.

In other words, it's bollocks.

Aguero was denied a clear goal scoring opportunity by Maicon. The rule states that he should've been sent off but the ref chose otherwise, just like the ref did when Vidic pulled down the Villa player in the Cup Final. He should've gone then as Maicon should've gone last night yet the ref decided otherwise, how can this be the case?

They were arguing down a City fan, saying that it's what the rules say. As professional journalists, I assume they had the rule book in front of them to refer to and weren't just saying whatever came into their head
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:30 am

How can it be a 'clear goalscoring opportunity' when he doesn't have the ball?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:34 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:How can it be a 'clear goalscoring opportunity' when he doesn't have the ball?

OK so a long ball is played through and the offside trap is broken on the halfway line, the striker is running towards the ball with just the keeper in front of him. He hasnt reached the ball yet but he is a clear favourite for it to go 1 v 1 on the keeper, however the defender knows he wont reach the ball so he decides to take out the striker from behind about 20 yds from goal? Red or not?
Wonderwall

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:40 am

It should have been an instantaneous red card without any debate whatsoever.

Aguero was 'prevented' from getting to the ball and having a shot in the crudest way possible.

We all know what the outcome would have been if a City player had committed such a foul at the other end.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:50 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:How can it be a 'clear goalscoring opportunity' when he doesn't have the ball?

OK so a long ball is played through and the offside trap is broken on the halfway line, the striker is running towards the ball with just the keeper in front of him. He hasnt reached the ball yet but he is a clear favourite for it to go 1 v 1 on the keeper, however the defender knows he wont reach the ball so he decides to take out the striker from behind about 20 yds from goal? Red or not?

That's a totally different scenario. How is the ref supposed to judge that Aguero will get there before anyone else in that instance last night? He may have been favourite to get there but that wasn't clearly obvious.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:20 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:It should have been an instantaneous red card without any debate whatsoever.

Aguero was 'prevented' from getting to the ball and having a shot in the crudest way possible.

We all know what the outcome would have been if a City player had committed such a foul at the other end.

Yes, and although some may say it shouldnt have been red had it happened to us my first thought would have been "you silly fucker why do that??" to whichever player committed the foul..
...sadly, I wasnt surprised the referee conveniently applied his own interpretation to a rule that although I dont agree with, its there for all to see..."denying a clear goalscoring opportunity"
I'm getting fed up with the blatant bentness.
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:02 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

That's a totally different scenario. How is the ref supposed to judge that Aguero will get there before anyone else in that instance last night? He may have been favourite to get there but that wasn't clearly obvious.

thats poppycock and you know it. The ref was perfectly place to that Aguero was being fouled, why foul him if he was not favourite to get the ball?
Wonderwall

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:18 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

thats poppycock and you know it. The ref was perfectly place to that Aguero was being fouled, why foul him if he was not favourite to get the ball?

Bollox, there is no guarantee Aguero's getting there even if Maicon doesn't pull him back. The ref has a split second to determine whether Aguero is definitely going to reach that ball, perfectly understandable that he didn't deem it to be a clear goalscoring opportunity.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:45 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Bollox, there is no guarantee Aguero's getting there even if Maicon doesn't pull him back. The ref has a split second to determine whether Aguero is definitely going to reach that ball, perfectly understandable that he didn't deem it to be a clear goalscoring opportunity.

I really dont understand your argument for a yellow. Aguero is favourite to reach the pass, he is the closest opposition player to goal, the only defender that can possibly defend against the threat, decides to foul Aguero intentionally. Its a red card all day long
Wonderwall

Postby MilnersJaw » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:50 am

Wonderwall wrote:Just catching up with what the "expert pundits" made of it. OMG what the fuck is that ginger twat scholes doing at our ground the fucking slitherin wanker. I wish it was in 3D as i would have twatted the fucker out of sight.

he did nothing but slag city off. from the ground not feeling like a champions league night to moaning about the atmosphere. bitter cunt trying to stay relevant.
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silver

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum