Should Maicon Have Seen Red?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Well, should he have gone?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes : 52

Re: Should Maicon Have Seen Red?

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:32 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:It's very hard to tell, even with the benefit of a replay whether Aguero would have reached that ball, it was by no means a guarantee and it's therefore hard to categorize it as a 'clear goalscoring opportunity'.
Yellow card and a penalty for me.

That's ridiculous.

It doesn't have to be a "guarantee" that he would have reached the ball, as that would be impossible of course - in every case in fact.. He had a clear OPPORTUNITY to reach the ball and score and was denied that.

Simple.

I can see why some see it as a red and it would go in the category of 'seen them given' but to me it's not quite.
I think it does matter that there is no guarantee Aguero will reach the ball, for arguments sake if the ball through had already gone out of play before or as Aguero was tripped it wouldn't have merited a red card, there has to be a balance somewhere.
I've looked at the replay a few times now and to me, and feel free to disagree by all means, it looks like the ball would have just gotten away from Sergio. He may have reached it, I don't know but imo to warrant a red, it should at least be more than likely to the ref that he would reach it and it wasn't.

I realize there's a decent chance you'll give a one or two word put down post, but whilst I can see why some think it's a red, it's not quite ad black and white ad they're suggesting.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Original Dub » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:20 am

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:It's very hard to tell, even with the benefit of a replay whether Aguero would have reached that ball, it was by no means a guarantee and it's therefore hard to categorize it as a 'clear goalscoring opportunity'.
Yellow card and a penalty for me.

That's ridiculous.

It doesn't have to be a "guarantee" that he would have reached the ball, as that would be impossible of course - in every case in fact.. He had a clear OPPORTUNITY to reach the ball and score and was denied that.

Simple.

I can see why some see it as a red and it would go in the category of 'seen them given' but to me it's not quite.
I think it does matter that there is no guarantee Aguero will reach the ball, for arguments sake if the ball through had already gone out of play before or as Aguero was tripped it wouldn't have merited a red card, there has to be a balance somewhere.
I've looked at the replay a few times now and to me, and feel free to disagree by all means, it looks like the ball would have just gotten away from Sergio. He may have reached it, I don't know but imo to warrant a red, it should at least be more than likely to the ref that he would reach it and it wasn't.

I realize there's a decent chance you'll give a one or two word put down post, but whilst I can see why some think it's a red, it's not quite ad black and white ad they're suggesting.

If my responses put you down sweetheart, you're in trouble for starters. ..

Maicon knew it should have been red. It was written all over his face.
Original Dub

Postby Original Dub » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:23 pm

So everyone in the studio reckons the Arsenal defender should have seen red, because Hazard "might have got a shot away" otherwise.

No guarantee mind you... just a possibility.

There is never a guarantee. That's why they call it an OPPORTUNITY.
Original Dub

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:28 pm

Original Dub wrote:So everyone in the studio reckons the Arsenal defender should have seen red, because Hazard "might have got a shot away" otherwise.

Haven't seen it, was it a CLEAR opportunity? If not then no red
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Original Dub » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:32 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Original Dub wrote:So everyone in the studio reckons the Arsenal defender should have seen red, because Hazard "might have got a shot away" otherwise.

It was clear to me. Not sure about you though. Or the ref.
Actually, Maicon thought it was a clear goal scoring opportunity when he took Aguero out of it. And he was the closest man to ball.

Strange that,isn't it?
Original Dub

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:44 pm

Original Dub wrote:

Actually, Maicon thought it was a clear goal scoring opportunity when he took Aguero out of it. And he was the closest man to ball.

Strange that,isn't it?

Most perplexing indeed.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:07 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Strange that,isn't it?

Most perplexing indeed.

I look forward to the reaction when something similar happens in front of our goal. The rule states 'clear' not 'possible'.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:02 pm

I haven't seen the one today. In my opinion in order to be a 'clear' goalscoring opportunity the player has to either have the ball under his control or it has to be obvious that he will reach the ball. Maicon's challenge didn't fall under either of those categories.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby Original Dub » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:13 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:I haven't seen the one today. In my opinion in order to be a 'clear' goalscoring opportunity the player has to either have the ball under his control or it has to be obvious that he will reach the ball. Maicon's challenge didn't fall under either of those categories.

It was "clear" to Maicon. He knew the risk he was taking. Yet he still did it.

Because he knew it was a clear goal scoring opportunity.

So did I.
Original Dub

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:05 pm

Red, all day long.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:18 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:I haven't seen the one today. In my opinion in order to be a 'clear' goalscoring opportunity the player has to either have the ball under his control or it has to be obvious that he will reach the ball. Maicon's challenge didn't fall under either of those categories.

So did I.
maybe it was clear to Maicon, it was certainly cynical. However it has to be an objectively clear goalscoring opportunity imo, not just to the defender in question and having looked at it a few times since, I think the ball was slightly over hit and doubt that Aguero would have reached it. Don't think we're gonna agree on this. I can see both sides and accept the viewpoint that it could be a red, I just don't think it's as black and white as some are making it.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:55 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Strange that,isn't it?

Most perplexing indeed.

I look forward to the reaction when something similar happens in front of our goal. The rule states 'clear' not 'possible'.

I'm not looking forward to it happening in front of our own goal because, as sure as night follows day, the City player would be immediately red carded.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Original Dub » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:56 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

So did I.
maybe it was clear to Maicon, it was certainly cynical. However it has to be an objectively clear goalscoring opportunity imo, not just to the defender in question and having looked at it a few times since, I think the ball was slightly over hit and doubt that Aguero would have reached it. Don't think we're gonna agree on this. I can see both sides and accept the viewpoint that it could be a red, I just don't think it's as black and white as some are making it.

Fair enough.

These things would be a lot easier if you just agreed with me !
Original Dub

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:19 am

Maybe, it has to be obvious that he wont reach the ball for it to be a yellow, otherwise its a red! Just using your view and switching it, sounds better that way.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:08 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

Maybe, it has to be obvious that he wont reach the ball for it to be a yellow, otherwise its a red! Just using your view and switching it, sounds better that way.

True, good point haha.
I'll restate my position to it being a 50/50, not clear cut either way and some stricter refs would give red and more lenient ones wouldn't. It's not a stonewaller which is what i'm getting at.
Was a tough call though and wouldn't have had too many complaints either way.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby mr_nool » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:14 pm

Koscielny should have had a red in my opinion, since Hazard was clean through, but Koscielny at least tried to clear the ball and can be said to have made an "honest mistake" (or taking a gamble). Maicon's faul was pure cynical. It's a yellow card any where on the pitch, but with the opponent clear through it should be a red.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:20 pm

should the mangler have been red carded vs hull????
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:27 pm

Someone needs a red card for letting this thread continue on nearly a week later.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Original Dub » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:49 pm

Should Mangala have seen red??

Was he the last man denying a clear opportunity?

And Doomy, why are you looking in the thread a week later, you baldy cunt?
Original Dub

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:56 pm

Original Dub wrote:
And Doomy, why are you looking in the thread a week later, you baldy cunt?

cuz there's fuck all to read on this site.

Little banter, no feuding...even the retarded personalities who make me cringe are more subdued than ever before.

We really need a flare up the ass around here. I'm the guiltiest of them all, perhaps.

Now what?

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum