set pieces in the attacking third

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: set pieces in the attacking third

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:09 am

Wonderwall wrote:I have no problem with taking the quick free kick and keeping the ball moving, even going back to Joe doesn't bother me as its the possession football we play. We move the opposition around with our movement to create gaps and opportunities. We don't lump the ball into the box, because its just like another corner from a different angle but the result is the same 49 times out of 50 and its not a good one for us.

the danger came when we lost it being to clever for the 1st hour, it was a repeat of Dortmund, Napoli, Bayern, lose the ball punished. I am sure Edis would be more of a threat when a ball is whipped in. we saw how Kin reacted quickest to some head tennis last Saturday.Roma seemed to have watched the videos of our last attempts in the Champs league Counter attack and have a clever 10 like a totti, I think we are close to be out tbh, Bayern will be stronger and Roma look like they have our number, plus I hope I am wrong they will beat us away.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:30 am

Hazy2 wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:I have no problem with taking the quick free kick and keeping the ball moving, even going back to Joe doesn't bother me as its the possession football we play. We move the opposition around with our movement to create gaps and opportunities. We don't lump the ball into the box, because its just like another corner from a different angle but the result is the same 49 times out of 50 and its not a good one for us.

the danger came when we lost it being to clever for the 1st hour, it was a repeat of Dortmund, Napoli, Bayern, lose the ball punished. I am sure Edis would be more of a threat when a ball is whipped in. we saw how Kin reacted quickest to some head tennis last Saturday.Roma seemed to have watched the videos of our last attempts in the Champs league Counter attack and have a clever 10 like a totti, I think we are close to be out tbh, Bayern will be stronger and Roma look like they have our number, plus I hope I am wrong they will beat us away.

i definitely believe that we're out of the CL.

Never say never I suppose, but the Count is doing a "Mancini" the year after winning the league. Fucking up the league form early, and out of Europe. He'll get a pass this season no matter what based upon his success, but he's got a lot to prove to me after the last month. We can blame players all we want, but I think it's the Count who's fucked this season up...in September.

Good news is there is plenty of time to recover and redeem ourselves, and/or watch other teams spit the bit.

It's a test of whether the Count is up his own ass due to his winning some shit last season or if he's actually got a humble grip on his job. I am hoping it's the latter. It's always seemed to be, yet he could surprise me as he's proving.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:41 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

Never say never I suppose, but the Count is doing a "Mancini" the year after winning the league. Fucking up the league form early, and out of Europe. He'll get a pass this season no matter what based upon his success, but he's got a lot to prove to me after the last month. We can blame players all we want, but I think it's the Count who's fucked this season up...in September.

Good news is there is plenty of time to recover and redeem ourselves, and/or watch other teams spit the bit.

It's a test of whether the Count is up his own ass due to his winning some shit last season or if he's actually got a humble grip on his job. I am hoping it's the latter. It's always seemed to be, yet he could surprise me as he's proving.

cheers

I don't think he's fucked up the league games. His change to a diamond v Hull, & his use of Lampard has been truly inspired management imo. Kolarov & Joe Hart v Stoke, Zabba red card, Mangala's sudden burst of stupidity, injuries to Fernando, Jovetic, nasty fixtures list, World Cup ruining pre season, it's been a tough start with a lot of things out of his control.

The Champions League is where he's been Mancini MK II.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:43 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

cheers

pretty much it for me too Doomy. Pellegrini went down in my estimation last night, tactical bollox up and wrong team selection. Within 10 minutes of Milner coming on it was plain to see he was what we needed, I hope Pellegrini made a note to himself to apologise to Milner for not starting him.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:40 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

cheers

I don't think he's fucked up the league games. His change to a diamond v Hull, & his use of Lampard has been truly inspired management imo. Kolarov & Joe Hart v Stoke, Zabba red card, Mangala's sudden burst of stupidity, injuries to Fernando, Jovetic, nasty fixtures list, World Cup ruining pre season, it's been a tough start with a lot of things out of his control.

The Champions League is where he's been Mancini MK II.

Ball don't lie. We're 5 pts behind Chelsea right now and we've played 6 matches. And yes this early you can compare corresponding fixtures, and yes we could be 2 pts back if we take care of business and they do the unthinkable and lose to the Arse. However....we're 5 pts back right now and it's not the start we should have had. And yes it's the Stoke loss at home that stands out. We can hardly afford any slip ups at home now moving forward. A lot of pressure for early Oct.

cheers

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby nottsblue » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:46 pm

When we get a corner, does anyone get a little excited at the prospect or do you just think why bother, just kick the fuckin thing out for a goal kick and at least we won't concede on the counter like against Chelsea?
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:49 pm

nottsblue wrote:When we get a corner, does anyone get a little excited at the prospect or do you just think why bother, just kick the fuckin thing out for a goal kick and at least we won't concede on the counter like against Chelsea?

when we get a corner it's like giving the team an immediate counter opportunity that we're not prepared for. FACT.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby gmercer1 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:21 pm

In future Silva should take the corner and knock it back to Vinnie on the half way line so we can start from scratch.
gmercer1
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:50 pm

gmercer1 wrote:In future Silva should take the corner and knock it back to Vinnie on the half way line so we can start from scratch.

i think he should play it short to someone to kick out for an opposing throw in. More likely to generate something from that than an actual corner these days.

#strategery

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby zuricity » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:56 pm

Silva has proven time and time again that he cannot take corners and free kicks. He should not be allowed near them..... and Basel have just scored against Scouse 2.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Jon London » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:02 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:It's one of those things that is spoiled by the big breaks, & of course World Cups etc.

Last season there were loads of complaints re set pieces, but in the end, we were the best team at set pieces, when everything else early season had settled & we got more time to practice.

Yaya spent pre season practicing shooting from free kicks. This season he's had a World Cup & the fallout from a bereavement to deal with instead. Most of our pre season was done with half a team, then we have been getting fit. Some players have only just got upto match fitness in the last week or two, then we had Arse, Bayern, Chelsea to deal with.

When it settles, we will be back on free kicks & corners etc.

But teams are guarding against our near post corner routine by packing the area, so it may need a rethink.

In addition when the play breaks down we concede. Both Chelsea and Stoke scored from play directly after our corner.
Jon London
Robinho's Step Over

Postby PrezIke » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:21 pm

phips wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:might as well just give the oppo a goal kick

aside from Kolarov's corner to Demich to draw at Arsenal when have we looked dangerous from a set piece this season? rarely if ever…

were we even good last season? i don't really recall being good at corners at least. yaya banged in a lot of goals from free kicks, but other than that we looked rather shite.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:43 pm

PrezIke wrote:
phips wrote:

aside from Kolarov's corner to Demich to draw at Arsenal when have we looked dangerous from a set piece this season? rarely if ever…

were we even good last season? i don't really recall being good at corners at least. yaya banged in a lot of goals from free kicks, but other than that we looked rather shite.

We were the best in the country.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:12 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
PrezIke wrote:
phips wrote:

Nasri and Kola? Probably. I don't have stats handy that i could find but what is the breakdown from last season.
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:51 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
PrezIke wrote:
phips wrote:

Nasri and Kola? Probably. I don't have stats handy that i could find but what is the breakdown from last season.

I don't have the info on who did what, to whom, but here's a list of Prem facts in numbers from the Guardian, which backs up what i said.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... in-numbers

13 Manchester City scored 13 goals from corners, more than any other team.

I Imagine it was Nasri, Kolarov (& perhaps Milner /Navas?) who took most of the ones we scored from.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby PrezIke » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:30 am

Ted Hughes wrote:I don't have the info on who did what, to whom, but here's a list of Prem facts in numbers from the Guardian, which backs up what i said.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... in-numbers

13 Manchester City scored 13 goals from corners, more than any other team.

I Imagine it was Nasri, Kolarov (& perhaps Milner /Navas?) who took most of the ones we scored from.

well i guess my eyes have deceived me...okay then...

yes, i do recall nasri taking a lot of our corners, but i don't think he has done so well with them this season before he got injured. maybe his confidence has dropped, and it is clear to me he is a confidence player.

actually...i think some of our key players are confidence players...pellegrini seemed to be the kind of manager to handle that, but this year he's having more trouble it seems.

we are not dead, but the situation now is surely a test for he and the rest of the team.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:48 am

We were doing worse at almost everything this time last season.

We didn't win an away league game til mid October last season, then we lost the next two after that. Still won the title.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:51 am

Ted Hughes wrote:We were doing worse at almost everything this time last season.

We didn't win an away league game til mid October last season, then we lost the next two after that. Still won the title.

Bayern who walked the Bunders took such mullering against Real Madrid, by being sitting ducks to a team full of pace and uses the space. Pellers is a fanatastic attacking coach with the ball on the ground I love it, But he has a stubborn side which is great as he a desire, but vulnerable if he has to change. Lets be honest he fannied around Tues for an hour, we had Roma blowing out of there arses with only 30 mins of a higher tempo. That was a mistake. I 'm at Villa nad know now we will be looking at a similar set up with the like's of Delph buzzing around.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Slim » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:11 am

Ted Hughes wrote:We were doing worse at almost everything this time last season.

I don't think 86 will win it this season.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ruralblue » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:57 am

gmercer1 wrote:In future Silva should take the corner and knock it back to Vinnie on the half way line so we can start from scratch.

Maybe V in my could then whack the ball back to Joe Hart and show him hoe to distribute a ball. Joe could then perhaps boot it back out of play or to an opposition player on the half way line.

I don't understand the Silva thing with corners as he can pin point a cross when attacking. Okay he can't whack the ball like Yaya cam bit he should be able to lift the ball and drift it into the box for Edin or one of the big lads noggins.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum