***city v roma official match thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***city v roma official match thread***

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:49 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:Time for a rant.

An absolute shocker of a night; all the talk of still winning the group, how important tonight was and then we walk and out and collectively the team management and players basically pissed down their own leg.

The team selection was wrong - I sighed when I saw Milner bafflingly omitted again - and the formation was wrong. After being dominated and out passed in midfield for the first 15 mins the manager still refused to change it, and when he finally did go 5 in midfield we'd wasted 60 mins of the game and gave away the initiative.

Dzeko shouldn't have been subbed, Aguero should have. Ya Ya Toure was quite frankly abysmal - when every City fan can tell you that you cant play with a midfield 4, when 3 of the four are Toure, Navas and Silva, how on earth cant the manager see this? He sent out a daft team and formation vs Bayern exactly a year ago, got spanked and learned. A year later he's back at the same spot & had another brain fart and we've paid the price again. Roma were short of their first choice keeper, their centre back pairing and two best central midfielders and yet they still passed it round us for the first 60 mins.

We were outplayed and outcoached this evening Im afraid, that's the bare truth of it.

As for the empty seats - a couple of thoughts on that. Charging £40 and £35 is a pisstake and Im not surprised fans opted out when the games on tv anyway; in addition City in this competition is like exposing yourself to a punch in the gut. We've had 22 games in it now over 4 years and I think we've played well 4 times in it. We go in to these games on the back foot, don't apply ourselves as we do in the Premier League, very rarely actually go after teams at pace and we keep getting the same results.

Its generally accepted that you have to win your home games - in 4 seasons in this comp our first home game has been drawn, drawn, lost and drawn. An absolutely horrific record. We have too many big name players not doing it on the biggest stage, a manager who seems too stubborn to admit he's wrong and a fanbase growing tired and indifferent to the whole thing.

The club needs a rethink on pricing for the CSKA game - £15 is about right - and the Bayern one which should be in the £25 range, tops. The manager needs to do a far better job, and the expensive playing staff needs to start manning up in Europe because quite frankly its a tiresome, tedious load of repetitive bollocks at the moment.

Nights like tonight, and yet another shocking omission, are exactly why James Milner will walk at the end of the year. He seemingly has to play out of his skin to get a game and is judged on a different scale to many others.

It's very very hard to argue with any of that mate
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:56 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Watching a Champions League home game on TV is a new experience for me, but I haven't felt like I have missed out on anything.

The only improvement would have been not watching it at all.

At the daft prices being charged Ted, Ill be joining you next season. £40 to watch yet another bloody poor game? No thanks, Im out Im afraid. I take 2 kids to the game and simply cant afford it anymore in this comp. £45 for Bayern as well to watch them dry bum us no doubt - ohhh great fun.

The only hope is that someone with an ounce of common sense within the club recognises the cost is getting too much, and reduces the prices drastically for the final 2 home games which is what should happen in a sane world. I wont hold y breath waiting though.

If there's something on the Bayern game, I may try to get a ticket, but I've largely hated almost every game I've been to in that competition & they put up the price of my season ticket, so I'll be saving myself the increase by staying home & not being involved in something dead, & shit.

If they pull their fingers out, I can imagine the Bayern game being a proper occasion, but then I thought Barca would be & instead we played like Stoke.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:03 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Goaters 103 wrote:Time for a rant.

An absolute shocker of a night; all the talk of still winning the group, how important tonight was and then we walk and out and collectively the team management and players basically pissed down their own leg.

The team selection was wrong - I sighed when I saw Milner bafflingly omitted again - and the formation was wrong. After being dominated and out passed in midfield for the first 15 mins the manager still refused to change it, and when he finally did go 5 in midfield we'd wasted 60 mins of the game and gave away the initiative.

Dzeko shouldn't have been subbed, Aguero should have. Ya Ya Toure was quite frankly abysmal - when every City fan can tell you that you cant play with a midfield 4, when 3 of the four are Toure, Navas and Silva, how on earth cant the manager see this? He sent out a daft team and formation vs Bayern exactly a year ago, got spanked and learned. A year later he's back at the same spot & had another brain fart and we've paid the price again. Roma were short of their first choice keeper, their centre back pairing and two best central midfielders and yet they still passed it round us for the first 60 mins.

We were outplayed and outcoached this evening Im afraid, that's the bare truth of it.

As for the empty seats - a couple of thoughts on that. Charging £40 and £35 is a pisstake and Im not surprised fans opted out when the games on tv anyway; in addition City in this competition is like exposing yourself to a punch in the gut. We've had 22 games in it now over 4 years and I think we've played well 4 times in it. We go in to these games on the back foot, don't apply ourselves as we do in the Premier League, very rarely actually go after teams at pace and we keep getting the same results.

Its generally accepted that you have to win your home games - in 4 seasons in this comp our first home game has been drawn, drawn, lost and drawn. An absolutely horrific record. We have too many big name players not doing it on the biggest stage, a manager who seems too stubborn to admit he's wrong and a fanbase growing tired and indifferent to the whole thing.

The club needs a rethink on pricing for the CSKA game - £15 is about right - and the Bayern one which should be in the £25 range, tops. The manager needs to do a far better job, and the expensive playing staff needs to start manning up in Europe because quite frankly its a tiresome, tedious load of repetitive bollocks at the moment.

Nights like tonight, and yet another shocking omission, are exactly why James Milner will walk at the end of the year. He seemingly has to play out of his skin to get a game and is judged on a different scale to many others.

It's very very hard to argue with any of that mate

Me too mate. I was afyer a rant and you have put what i wanted to. For me pellegrini is to blame for tonight. Stupid selection with milner on the bench and poor reacrion tactically and subs were baffling.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:26 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:Looking forward to the outrage if we get dicked in this one....it'll be "out of CL already, fucking dogshit"....and/or "i hate this comp as it's totally fixed, etc"

i expect something unsettling and fucked up. We won't make this season's campaign easy....as we've already proved proven vs the Meunechs.

Come the fucl on City...gimme something to get excited about in this comp this season, pretty please with sugar on top?

cheers

Edit: i'm spending too much time on this site. I can't even write normal sentences anymore without sounding like some fucking gypsy caravaner.

Don't fret. We'll beat these fuckers 3-0.

Apologies. We were second best tonight.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:30 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
sheblue wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Got to say I am more gutted after a defeat or draw in the Premier League. Much as I always want City to win it hurts more when we don't win in Prem.

Anyone else feel like this

Yes I get much more nervous for league games. Tonight felt as important as the Sheff Wed game to me. The owners have put a lot in though, and I'd like European success for them as I think it's probably top of their agenda.

Tonight, the Count & Brian Kidd looked as anxious, later in the game, as I have ever seen them.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think they may have had the word that none qualification is a likely sacking offence. That puts a lot of pressure on the Premier League competition, as it may require winning it, to keep the Count in a job.

I hope that's not the case, because I want to see him bring young players through into his style of attacking football.

The top brass will want us to progress and challenge for the champions league, some fans mightn't be too bothered but by fuck the big wigs will.
Domestic success and champions league failure won't be enough medium to long term. MP has to sort this out, it's hugely important for him and the club.

These players will have failed under two totally different managers.

The likekihood is, imo, that if they fail again this season, then unless Guardiola becomes available, they will fail next season under pretty much anyone else, so sacking the Count is not the answer.

If we don't break through this year, a couple more serious signings for the key roles in the team will be needed in order to make a significant difference. These players are becoming accustomed to Champions League failure. The Count is unfortunate that Fernando is missing. Had he playerd, there's not a cat in hell's chance of Totti scoring.

Two more big talent, key players who are not tainted by failure, would imo drag the rest upto the right level & I'd like the Count to be choosing them rather than some new geezer.

I half-laughingly remarked in the pub tonight that the problem with the team in Europe is its spine. I'll wait to see what a Fernando-Fernandinho-Toure midfield looks like before I'll make a definitive judgement.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:25 am

I'm tired of the excuses we are trying to dish out for all the empty seats. when the fact of the matter is ITS FUCKIGN EMBARRASSING!!!

Chelsea, SCUM ,Bindippers and Arsenal would never ever have had that embarrassing attendance against the Italian leaders ffs !!!..

Fuck off with the excuses.!!!
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby phips » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:37 am

the loss is entirely Manuel's fault.

the match was always going to revolve around the midfield. Silva won't and can't do defensive work and Navas isn't good at it. Yaya seems intent on doing nothing so its basically Fern vs 3.
im not sure Manuel would've even played a 5 man midfield if Fernando was fit.

pretty poor performance all around. we never looked like scoring after the penalty. Roma looked comfortable until the 55th when Lampard came on and Roma decided to play for a 1-1 draw.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby phips » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:52 am

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote: I'll wait to see what a Fernando-Fernandinho-Toure midfield looks like before I'll make a definitive judgement.

this was the main thing on my mind during the match. the Fern-Toure pairing doesn't work in Europe.

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby PrezIke » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:18 am

if we get knocked out of the group phase some big changes will occur, i suspect.

let's hope we step up our game...
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby phips » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:36 am

as long as Bayern beat Roma twice and CSKA and we beat CKSA twice and draw with Roma and Bayern we will be 2nd in the group.
(aka, Roma takes only 4 points from their remaining matches and we take 8)
for our part, that should be that hard and Bayern seem capable of beating Roma twice.

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:38 am

phips wrote:as long as Bayern beat Roma twice and CSKA and we beat CKSA twice and draw with Roma and Bayern we will be 2nd in the group.
for our part, that should be that hard and Bayern seem capable of beating Roma twice.

congratulations!!!
you are today's stating the obvious champion!!
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby john@staustell » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:14 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
phips wrote:as long as Bayern beat Roma twice and CSKA and we beat CKSA twice and draw with Roma and Bayern we will be 2nd in the group.

congratulations!!!
you are today's stating the obvious champion!!

Never make it as a TV pundit. Dont you know we are doomed?

By the way if anyone wants to comment on the pre-match hatchet job by spotty ginger on ITV:

viewerservices@itv.com
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:53 am

DoomMerchant wrote:Looking forward to the outrage if we get dicked in this one....it'll be "out of CL already, fucking dogshit"....and/or "i hate this comp as it's totally fixed, etc"

i expect something unsettling and fucked up. We won't make this season's campaign easy....as we've already proved proven vs the Meunechs.

Come the fucl on City...gimme something to get excited about in this comp this season, pretty please with sugar on top?

cheers

Edit: i'm spending too much time on this site. I can't even write normal sentences anymore without sounding like some fucking gypsy caravaner.

Don't fret. We'll beat these fuckers 3-0.

Apologies. We were second best tonight.

We were lucky to be even that.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby guv111 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:15 am

nottsblue wrote:Got to say I am more gutted after a defeat or draw in the Premier League. Much as I always want City to win it hurts more when we don't win in Prem.

Anyone else feel like this

Yes.

Also, when your aim is to "progress a bit further this time" rather than win a competition, that can hardly inspire the players. It feels like a succession of almost pointless games. It seems we as a club are resigned to not winning the Champions League for some time.

Plus it hardly helps when we end up in the same group every bloody season.
guv111
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Blue Since 76 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:22 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:I'm tired of the excuses we are trying to dish out for all the empty seats. when the fact of the matter is ITS FUCKIGN EMBARRASSING!!!

Chelsea, SCUM ,Bindippers and Arsenal would never ever have had that embarrassing attendance against the Italian leaders ffs !!!..

Which block were you in?
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Goaters 103 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:26 am

Woke up, still thunderously fuct off with what I witnessed last night.

- Mangala, Kolarov and Milner should have started the game in a 4-2-3-1. Quite how Kolarov didn't get on at all is beyond me when we were crying out for decent delivery into the box and he seems to be the only person in the club who can sling over a good cross..

- This is the 2012/13 season all over again; after winning the Prem we start the league season slowly, and in the CL we get a horror draw, lose the first game away very late to the best team in the group and then get outplayed at home but scrape a 1-1 draw by scoring a pen in the most important game of the group stages - in 2012/13 it was Real and Dortmund, this year its Bayern and Roma. Just like 2012/13 we will spend the next 4 games trying to repair a leaking hole but the damage has already been done.

- I genuinely don't give one iota of a fook what Scholes, Camel face or any other ex-Utd player thinks about us, our club, our attendance, anything. They are Utd sycophants with their own agenda so their opinion is invalid.

- On TV coverage, to level things up, when Utd next qualify for the Champions League - hopefully years away - can we have Mike Summerbee in the studio as a summariser please. That would equal things the way TV always seems to avoid having anyone with City connections commenting on us.

- Some pressmen, Daniel Taylor in the Guardian, Henry Winter in the Telegraph and Phil Mcnulty on BBC have been fair in their assessment of last nights game, issuing criticism where its necessary and focusing on the important stuff. Ive read their comments on last night and generally agreed with large parts of it. Some of the other stuff Ive glanced at I wouldn't wipe my arsehole on, with the Daily Shite Mail now the official Paul Scholes mouthpiece it seems. Memo to self - stick with the three men above, add Martin Samuel and not waste a second of my life on any of the others in the future.

- As the dreaded Europa Lge looms on the horizon, Thursday night football will put the kybosh on any attempt to retain the Premier Lge so Id suggest we play the stiffs in that comp - on current form that would be Ya Ya Toure and Clichy for starters. Then we can concentrate on achieving a spot in Pot 2/3 and our CL draw for next season - early prediction for that, Bayern Munich, PSG, City and Brazil circa 1970 drawn together in Group E.

Bollocks.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:35 am

The main point for me is 20 odd games later we still look nowhere near, if we fail to accept teams like Roma are a threat and still go 442 the likes PSG who are are at the same stage as us in terms of new to this would batter us. This is not based on the win for them last night, it is plain to see they have players who can adapt and a game management that appears to accept you have to modify your game or face problems like last night when we looked to have 9 against 15 players at times. PSG are developing each season we look like we are back to scratch again. The empty seats big deal there are empty seats in all stadiums. Put kids in for £45 for 3 games and it would be sold out simple.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:38 am

Blue Since 76 wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:I'm tired of the excuses we are trying to dish out for all the empty seats. when the fact of the matter is ITS FUCKIGN EMBARRASSING!!!

Which block were you in?

Coconut grove you twat !!

I live abroad but when I was living in the UK I went to any game I could get to when I wasn't based abroad.

I repeat..fuckign embarrassing attendance.......end of.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:46 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:

Which block were you in?

I live abroad but when I was living in the UK I went to any game I could get to when I wasn't based abroad.

Well that has put a smile on my face, I do give no showers stick, I cannot give anyone stick on Chumps night as the dish served is crap.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:49 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:

Which block were you in?

I don't give a flying fuck whether people are embarrassed or not. I'm not paying £35 to be somewhere I don't want to be, just so some fucker somewhere doesn't get embarrassed. I didn't want to go, so I didn't go. And I feel perfectly fine about not going, so I probably won't go to European games very often in the future. Had I been there, I would now be thinking 'I'll fuck this off' but I went to the pathetic non event vs Barca, & if Barca is a non event, what else is there ?

I might try to go to the Bayern game if there's a chance it matters, but that may be sold out before then due to tourists, which is what the competition is for. Loads of rag regulars ditch their seats for it as well, but get replaced by tourists, so Scholes & Wio don't realise it.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum