***city v roma official match thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***city v roma official match thread***

Postby twosips » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:21 pm

Original Dub wrote:It's not as simple as that though, is it?

Why do we have less turn up than the others? I know I don't live there and only get over to a couple of games, but I'd love to know what the story is. My reply to rags etc. is always "Why do I give a fuck when I watch most of the games from my armchair? And doesn't it mean when I do go over I have a chance of a getting a seat?"

But the fact remains that the players see the empty seats and hear only the Roma fans. No matter what anyone says, fans lift players. It's a simple fact. And a large reason why playing at home is supposed to be an advantage.

It's a shame. Some of you might shrug it off, some might hate it, but either way it's a big, hairy fucking shame.

In answer to your first question, and most won't like to admit it, a big part of that is that we don't have as big a fanbase. Yet. It's definitely a part of the reason imo.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby South Stand Balti » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:22 pm

That's a good article. We did announce our next home game against Spurs is a sell out on sept 26th which is three weeks before the game takes place. That's fucking good support. I don't suppose Scholes mentioned that on TV last night.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:22 pm

We have the world rattled, I choose to think we have an issue in the chumps we need to smash someone and get this monkey of our back. It might be worth digging up a media darling blue.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby blue 68 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:52 pm

The lack of interest in attending CL games is a combination of cost, school night, on TV, no beer, poor recent performances in Europe, but for me and my mates it's a point of principle. Sick of UEFA being a bent bunch of twats and I'm simply staying away on purpose.
I would like to see our fans boycott CL games and show the Euro muppets we can see right through them and we're not interested. I really don't mind if we finish 4th in this group and focus on the domestic game. It's a corrupt, pointless competition in my book, virtually last 8 decided are decided at the draw stage. Refs are also a joke.
I know the boycott point is unfair on the players but some of them hardly seem to care about the challenge either, wish Ya Ya would just piss off.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
blue 68
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Dameerto » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:08 pm

blue 68 wrote:The lack of interest in attending CL games is a combination of cost, school night, on TV, no beer, poor recent performances in Europe, but for me and my mates it's a point of principle. Sick of UEFA being a bent bunch of twats and I'm simply staying away on purpose.
I would like to see our fans boycott CL games and show the Euro muppets we can see right through them and we're not interested. I really don't mind if we finish 4th in this group and focus on the domestic game. It's a corrupt, pointless competition in my book, virtually last 8 decided are decided at the draw stage. Refs are also a joke.
I know the boycott point is unfair on the players but some of them hardly seem to care about the challenge either, wish Ya Ya would just piss off.

I think more and more people are doing the same. At least as part of their reason if not all of it.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby getdressedmctavish » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:29 pm

Its all down to the goal we conceded. Once we did that, a major fuck up from Vinnie? these teams are cute. A Roma needing to equalise in the second half would have been well beatable. Without that need they were comfortable. Yes, the Count made a lot of daft decisions, and yes, Ya Ya and Dave are well below and slightly below par. But against the big teams, and Roma are a very inform unit, the margins are this fine.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:52 pm

getdressedmctavish wrote:Its all down to the goal we conceded. Once we did that, a major fuck up from Vinnie? these teams are cute. A Roma needing to equalise in the second half would have been well beatable. Without that need they were comfortable. Yes, the Count made a lot of daft decisions, and yes, Ya Ya and Dave are well below and slightly below par. But against the big teams, and Roma are a very inform unit, the margins are this fine.

We played like shit from the off though. All of the back 4 had their heads up their arses. None of the midfield were tracking quick enough, the offside line was a fucking joke & we passed it like Blackburn Rovers. We got gifted a pen by Maicon & then played even worse.

By contrast, later in the game, even playing at 60%, we looked by far the better side but they held on. It was a very similar performance imo to the cup game last season v Wigan except Roma are better, but Wigan outplayed us until we came on strong later.

Right this second they just asked Souness if the Italian league is having a resurgeance & he just said that City started with the wrong team last night & would have won otherwise.

I think we fucked up what should have been a pretty comfortable, pehaps even easy night.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby phips » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:41 am

Ted Hughes wrote:I think we fucked up what should have been a pretty comfortable, pehaps even easy night.

if we had played 1 striker with Jimmy or Lampard in midfield from the start we wouldve won
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby getdressedmctavish » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:15 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
getdressedmctavish wrote:Its all down to the goal we conceded. Once we did that, a major fuck up from Vinnie? these teams are cute. A Roma needing to equalise in the second half would have been well beatable. Without that need they were comfortable. Yes, the Count made a lot of daft decisions, and yes, Ya Ya and Dave are well below and slightly below par. But against the big teams, and Roma are a very inform unit, the margins are this fine.

We played like shit from the off though. All of the back 4 had their heads up their arses. None of the midfield were tracking quick enough, the offside line was a fucking joke & we passed it like Blackburn Rovers. We got gifted a pen by Maicon & then played even worse.

By contrast, later in the game, even playing at 60%, we looked by far the better side but they held on. It was a very similar performance imo to the cup game last season v Wigan except Roma are better, but Wigan outplayed us until we came on strong later.

Right this second they just asked Souness if the Italian league is having a resurgeance & he just said that City started with the wrong team last night & would have won otherwise.

I think we fucked up what should have been a pretty comfortable, pehaps even easy night.

I agree with most of that Ted. I was going apoplectic at the game about the team selection and the way we were playing, but at 1-0 with Roma looking for a draw we would have scored again. I don't think it was ever going to be easy. I watched them in the training warm up game and said to my mate, "this lot are fuckin shit hot on the ball and in their movement".
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Tokyo Blue » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:27 pm

Hazy2 wrote:We have the world rattled, I choose to think we have an issue in the chumps we need to smash someone and get this monkey of our back. It might be worth digging up a media darling blue.

Now we both know that is not going to happen.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:04 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:We have the world rattled, I choose to think we have an issue in the chumps we need to smash someone and get this monkey of our back. It might be worth digging up a media darling blue.

Now we both know that is not going to happen.

As Villa Dan said to me "You get some clogging from that runt" how on earth can they use such a ginger rag for analysis on yous.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby South Stand Balti » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:24 pm

I grumbled after the Community shield thing that MP had failed to react to Arsenal's five man midfield controlling the game. He was given a pat on the back on the radio yesterday for changing things after an hour against Roma to give us a foot hold in midfield. Most of us in the south stand had spotted that after 10 mins. I like the Count but he has a blind spot when it comes to this. Numpty
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:03 am

South Stand Balti wrote:I grumbled after the Community shield thing that MP had failed to react to Arsenal's five man midfield controlling the game. He was given a pat on the back on the radio yesterday for changing things after an hour against Roma to give us a foot hold in midfield. Most of us in the south stand had spotted that after 10 mins. I like the Count but he has a blind spot when it comes to this. Numpty

I said that and I also think after 2 defeats Villa will do a similar thing and chuck, plus they can Benteke, on 15 mins to go to try and nick it. They play 5 in MF, I know this will get me a barrow load of shit,are we like under Mancini, looking easy to set up against. just a thought as Arsenal have done it, Chelsea tried it Bayern were hampered with no wingers but kept it tight, no risks taken, and nicked it Stoke did manage it and Roma, caught us out with Counter attack for an hour. We are light without Fernando beat that 1st line and teams have a open space to run into if they have the nous.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:30 am

There is no similarity between the games v Stoke, Roma & Villa.

They are all different teams, in different cirumstances which require a different solution. Yaya being overrun was not the problem v Stoke.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:54 am

Ted Hughes wrote:There is no similarity between the games v Stoke, Roma & Villa.

They are all different teams, in different cirumstances which require a different solution. Yaya being overrun was not the problem v Stoke.

He could have had 3 goals in that game.
NZonzi robbed him a lot of times. He did nothing with it lucklily When you say no similarity you are kidding right. Packed MF fast counter attack, Villa did it Anfield all be it hung on and got lucky to be fair, We have very little wrong I fully expect us to be fine, however when we get a team working hard and sort of lucky as Stoke were, a tweek here an there is what I would expect at this level of football. As I said we get 3 games at home in the CL and we have blown one with the Roma draw. TACTICS WERE WRONG FOR FAR TO LONG !
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:04 am

Hazy2 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:There is no similarity between the games v Stoke, Roma & Villa.

NZonzi robbed him a lot of times. He did nothing with it lucklily When you say no similarity you are kidding right. Packed MF fast counter attack, Villa did it Anfield all be it hung on and got lucky to be fair, We have very little wrong I fully expect us to be fine, however when we get a team working hard and sort of lucky as Stoke were, a tweek here an there is what I would expect at this level of football. As I said we get 3 games at home in the CL and we have blown one with the Roma draw. TACTICS WERE WRONG FOR FAR TO LONG !

You are the one who's kidding if you think packing the midfield vs fucking Stoke would have been the answer!!

More likely sticking 6 up front would have been a better bet.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby twosips » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:36 pm

Didn't know where to put this but there was a huge discussion about atmosphere/pricing in this thread so i'll throw it here.

https://twitter.com/City_Watch/status/5 ... 6708050945.

"£15-£20 for adults against Newcastle in the next round of the League Cup, £10-£15 for 16-21s/OAPs, £1-£5 for kids. This is great pricing."

Totally agree with this. Very reasonable prices and I reckon that'll get the younger fans in.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

You are the one who's kidding if you think packing the midfield vs fucking Stoke would have been the answer!!

No Ted we are facing teams with 5 in MF, Break out and get lucky, Stoke was a weird one, but in the main this season at home we face sit back teams, who pretty much ride the luck which they did broke away Roma was plain daft wasting an hour on being out numbered. Scousers were wastefull if we dig deep enough, Hull away 1st 20 was fast and better players bullying a team who are less talented last 20 was how it should be team bolloxed and gaps appearing.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby phips » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:25 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:I grumbled after the Community shield thing that MP had failed to react to Arsenal's five man midfield controlling the game. He was given a pat on the back on the radio yesterday for changing things after an hour against Roma to give us a foot hold in midfield. Most of us in the south stand had spotted that after 10 mins. I like the Count but he has a blind spot when it comes to this. Numpty

if we've learned anything about Manuel from last season its that he's stubborn. he wants to play his way of attractive football and score goals. however, that usually means a 4-4-2 which, as we've seen, doesn't always work. i don't think he will ever sub someone out in order to change the formation as quickly as 10 minutes in, even if he recognizes the issue. he firmly believes his way will work and will give it as long as he possibly can before being forced to change it--often times thats too late, as we saw vs. Roma
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:57 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

No Ted we are facing teams with 5 in MF, Break out and get lucky, Stoke was a weird one, but in the main this season at home we face sit back teams, who pretty much ride the luck which they did broke away Roma was plain daft wasting an hour on being out numbered. Scousers were wastefull if we dig deep enough, Hull away 1st 20 was fast and better players bullying a team who are less talented last 20 was how it should be team bolloxed and gaps appearing.

An extra man in midfield may have stopped Totti's goal, but it wouldn't have stopped the move where Maicon hit the bar. That requires people such as Silva to work harder.

Scousers were outplayed by a miles better team & could have lost by 5. Even Phil Thompson & Souness admit that, so let's not start changing history in order to fit a tactical argument. They stuck in the game for a half then we fucked them off, & it was a triumph for Pellegrini, not a stick to hit him with. We were the better team v Chelsea before Zabba got sent off, & were better again after he got sent off, so that's no game to criticise Pellegrini for either, his selection & substitution of Lampard was fucking genius which nobody other than tabloid wind up merchants believed would happen.

Against Stoke, we were lacking inspiration, & they were fucking brilliant; the best defensive side we have played; better than Roma or Chelsea. They won because Kolarov was shit defending a corner . Any Championship team with a quick forward could score that goal if a player let them run 60 yards.

In the Champions League, we could have set up differently & probably not lost either game. But we wouldn't have lost either game if the 11 players selected, actually turned up & passed the fucking ball to each other & ran about more. No guarantee we would have won either with more in midfield.

Pellegrini knows that & he's right. The problem is, the players keep performing like that, at half their capabilities, so they can't be trusted to play well, & he needs to take action because of it & maybe play an extra man in midfield. But then again, if Fernando is fit, perhaps he doesn't need to.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum