Monday's B****x (updated)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Monday's B****x (updated)

Postby Chinners » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:44 am

THE BOLLOX

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around for a while, you could miss it…"
Not my words but those of Ferris Bueller… he of the 1986 day off.
While cinema’s most famous truant was not referring to the world of football in this timeless quote, the sentiment certainly resonates in these two-game weeks.
Lucky you’ve got us to round up all of the headlines and talking points ahead of tomorrow night’s game, then…
City return to UEFA Champions League action on Tuesday night when AS Roma visit the Etihad Stadium aiming to inflict consecutive continental defeats on the English champions.
Manuel Pellegrini is upbeat on his team’s chances after being encouraged by the form they have shown in their last three games against Hull, Sheffield Wednesday and Chelsea.
“It’s a crucial game, because Roma won and we lost, so it’s important at home to win our first three points,” Manuel is quoted as saying in today’s Mirror. “It will be a very tough group and we cannot drop points here at home. It’s very important for us to win that game.
“It’s an important game not to lose. You have to play six games and if you’ve lost the first two, it will be more difficult.
“I hope that the team will play the same way as we have this last week. I’m very happy with all the performances, against Chelsea, against Sheffield Wednesday and on Saturday.
“I hope we can continue to stay in the same way.”
One man who is used to facing off against the Giallorossi is Aleksandar Kolarov.
The City left-back used to play for Lazio across the city and is a veteran of four Rome derbies, winning two and losing two.
Kolarov told Manchester Evening News journalist Stu Brennan that City’s supporters have a huge role to play at the Etihad to help the team come through with the points.
“In a game like this you have to feel you are playing at home – for the first couple of minutes our fans are good and crazy but then they calm down,” said Kolarov.
“We play a lot of European games and you see other fans come to our stadium and do it, so I hope our fans can do that tomorrow. We need them because it is a very important game.
“We need support at home. Away, we have great support, one of the best, but at home in my opinion we are a little bit quiet.”
We’ll let you know who starts the game first at around 6.30pm tomorrow night both on Twitter and in the Match Day Centre here on the official site.
However, you can already take one position on the field for granted… the goalkeeper.
Willy Caballero started the last two games for City but Joe Hart will return to the starting line-up, according to James McMath of the Guardian.
“Manchester City have had their fun, blitzing their way past two opponents from Yorkshire, but now it is time to get back to the serious stuff,” McMath scribes.
“Manuel Pellegrini’s team have scored 11 goals in their last two outings, following up the 7-0 victory over Sheffield Wednesday in the League Cup with a chaotic 4-2 triumph at Hull in the Premier League.
“Tuesday brings Roma, in the Champions League, where the English champions are almost certain to find goals harder to come by. The match against last season’s Serie A runners-up will also mean the return of Joe Hart, after the England goalkeeper was made to settle for a place on the bench during the past two fixtures.
“Willy Caballero, the Argentine goalkeeper signed for £6m from Málaga in the summer, assumed his place in the team and did little wrong in his two outings but Hart will be recalled for what Pellegrini described as a “crucial” fixture at the Etihad Stadium.”
That's all for today - keep checking back to the site throughout the day for all of the build-up to tomorrow's game.
And kids, stay in school...

Roberto Mancini: Still feels much affection towards City
The former City boss masterminded one of the most famous title race comebacks of all time in securing the club's first top-flight crown in 44 years in 2011/12, while he also won the 2011 FA Cup and 2012 Community Shield.
Many of the players that Mancini brought to the Etihad are still integral parts of Manuel Pellegrini's squad, and he believes that without his influence, City would not be in such a strong position.
“I feel this City is still mine,” Mancini told Gazzetta dello Sport.
“The strength points are the players with whom I won three trophies in Manchester: Yaya Touré, Pablo Zabaleta, Sergio Aguero, Edin Dzeko and David Silva.
“I have good feelings for almost all players I've coached at City.
"I'm proud of my job. We changed the football history in Manchester.
“They (City board) asked me to do this in three years and I did it in a season and a half.”
Mancini was speaking ahead of City’s Champions League encounter with Roma on Tuesday, and highlighted areas of potential weakness in Pellegrini’s side that the Giallorossi can exploit.
“Roma play with the ball, as once before," Mancini added.
"City are not the Manchester United of a few years ago, all running and competitiveness. And this could be an advantage for Roma.
“The best tactic against City? The key is a fast start and to take advantage of the opportunity that City will grant them.
“They have to be careful in defence, concentrate for the entire 90 minutes, and be clinical in attack.
“A complete Roma can beat City, but the absences of De Rossi, Castan and Astori make them more vulnerable as a squad."

Watch on youtube.com

‘Haunted’ Chelsea did not expect Frank Lampard to play for Man City, says Alan Curbishley
Chelsea did not expect Frank Lampard to play for Manchester City when he left the club he served for 13 years, according to former West Ham boss Alan Curbishley.
The 36-year-old made the switch to the west Londoners’s Premier League title rivals after his contract at the Blues expired in the summer – with Jose Mourinho failing to offer the former England man an extension.
And Curbishley thinks Chelsea will have been surprised to see their former star turning out against them – and even denting their title aspirations by scoring a dramatic late equaliser at the Etihad last week.
“Jose Mourinho made up his mind with the signings [that it was time for Lampard to move on] and I don’t think Frank took it any other way,” he told Sky Sports.
“It just came back to haunt them a bit. Mourinho will have no regrets though after bringing in Cesc Fagregas. But I don’t think they expected [Lampard] to turn up at Man City.”
Lampard, meanwhile, had previously said he suffered mixed emotions about his predicament.
“It’s a tough one for me. I had 13 amazing years with the Chelsea fans, so I am mixed with it. I am obviously pleased the team I play for got a draw,” he said.
“I am a little lost for words. I didn’t expect to come on and score like that.I came on and the Chelsea fans were singing, and that’s emotional.
“Then I am playing for this club, who have taken me in brilliantly as well, so I am really stuck in the middle here,” he added.

Fernando and Stevan Jovetic join Manchester City’s training for Roma
Fernando and Stevan Jovetic were both part of the Manchester City group that began open training at the Etihad Stadium on Monday in preparation for Roma’s visit on Tuesday evening.
Both players have been injured recently and Manuel Pellegrini, the City manager, had stated that Fernando would not be available for the crucial Champions League game.
After losing 1-0 at Bayern Munich in Bavaria in their first match, City need to beat the Italian club – who were second last season in Serie A – to get their hopes of qualifying for the knockout stage back on track.
Despite dropping Joe Hart for the 4-2 win over Hull City on Saturday, Pellegrini said the England goalkeeper would be reinstated in place of Willy Caballero for the Roma game.

Pellegrini explains Caballero selection
Manuel Pellegrini has revealed he will continue to rotate his squad - including goalkeepers Joe Hart and Willy Caballero.
The Manchester City manager handed Caballero his second start in a week in the 4-2 win against Hull on Saturday.
The Argentine had also deputised for England No1 Hart in the midweek Capital One Cup game against Leicester.
Hart is expected to be restored for the crucial Champions League Group E tie against Roma on Tuesday - but Pellegrini said it was important to give Caballero his chance in the first team.
"I think that for Willy it was good to play not just one but two games in a row," he said "Joe Hart played eight games in 32 days. It was a lot of games for a golakeeper.
"When I have a squad with 22, 23 players and I make the rotation like this it is better for the team."
Meanwhile Steve Bruce hailed City's firepower after an Edin Dzeko double and goals from Sergio Aguero and Frank Lampard killed off Hull's hopes of an unlikely point at the KC Stadium.
"They want to beat you - they want to give every team a hammering," he said. "And they've got the players to do that.
"Aguero, Dzeko, David Silva in particular are just wonderful, wonderful footballers. When they play the way they do, of course they're a very, very good side."

Manchester City midfielder Samir Nasri is facing a spell out after having groin surgery but the Frenchman is hoping for a quick recovery after tweeting a picture of himself from his hospital bed. "Thanks for the support!" he wrote. "Surgery went well! Now time for recovery!"

Roma’s Iturbe ready for Manchester City
Juan Manuel Iturbe has been cleared to play for Roma against Manchester City on Tuesday as the Giallrossi prepare for their big Champions League encounter.
Iturbe will be returning to the pitch just ten days after he suffered a groin injury against CSKA Moscow.
Initially, he was expected to be out for a month but he will be travelling to England after Rudi Garcia included the forward in his 20-man squad.
Goalkeepers: Curci, De Sanctis, Skorupski
Defenders: Cholebas, Cole, Maicon, Manolas, Torosidis, Yanga-Mbiwa
Midfielders: Florenz, Keita, Nainggolan, Paredes, Pjanic, Somma
Forwards: Destro, Gervinho, Iturbe, Ljajic, Totti
The match kicks off at 19:45 BST on Tuesday at the Etihad Stadium.

Mancini: City-Roma spectacular
Roberto Mancini is anticipating Manchester City against Roma and advised the Giallorossi on how best to face the Premier League side.
Mancini’s former club host Rudi Garcia’s Roma on Tuesday evening in the second round of Champions League group stage matches.
“I expect a spectacular challenge,” the 49-year-old currently unemployed Coach has told the Gazzetta dello Sport today.
“Manchester City practice a different style of football with respect to the others in England - infinite passes, the ball on the ground, the ability to switch between the patterns of attack in the middle or on the wings.
“Roma play with the ball, as once before. City are not the Manchester United of a few years ago, all running and competitiveness. And this could be an advantage for Roma.
“The best tactic against City? The key is a fast start and to take advantage of the opportunity that City will grant them.
“They have to be careful in defence, concentrate for the entire 90 minutes, and be clinical in attack.
“A complete Roma can beat City, but the absences of De Rossi, Castan and Astori make them more vulnerable as a squad.
“I have seen that Iturbe has been called up - he can create problems for City. In the counter-attack he can be devastating.”
Mancini was asked to pick out the man for Roma to keep most attention on trying to stop tomorrow night.
“Yaya Toure. A force of nature that Manchester are seeing the best of. But then there is the class of Silva, the sense of goal from Aguero, the running from Zabaleta.
“Manchester City are a great team. Also, this year for the Premier League it will be between them and Chelsea.”
Seydou Keita is seen as most likely the man charged with stopping former Barcelona teammate Toure.
“Keita is a player that I have always admired. He belongs to the category of players that are incomprehensibly undervalued.
“He was important at Barcelona and with Roma he can give so much more because he has international experience.
“He is nearly 35, but he knows how to manage himself.”
Another in advancing years but set to start in midweek is Francesco Totti, who just turned 38 at the weekend.
“Totti is still important because with the class that he has he knows how to move in the field. He runs less, but he makes the ball run.”
Mattia Destro scored a notable goal from 40 yards out this weekend.
“He has quality. I remember him at Inter. His technical value is not to be discussed, but he must grow.
“Young people often thing that when success comes in the field that their growth has finished. That is not so. Talent must be trained every day.”
Mancini considered this year’s Serie A race, which looks to be between Roma and Juventus.
“I think that Napoli will be able to get back into the race. If the environment is able to calm down and not create problems, Napoli will fight for the title. Benitez is working well.”

David Silva: 'There's more to come from Manchester City'
Manchester City midfielder David Silva has insisted that he and his teammates can improve as they try to chase down Chelsea in the Premier League.
Jose Mourinho's side currently sit at the top of the table, five points ahead of City, who won their second league title last season.
The North-West outfit had a three-game winless run in the league prior to Saturday's 4-2 victory over Hull City at the KC Stadium.
"There is still more to come from us, I think," the Daily Star quotes Silva as saying. "We are not quite at the level we reached last year, when we were better, but with every game that goes we are getting better and better and closer to our very best.
"We have to keep going forward because we have a good team and a great squad, with lots of good players."
Manuel Pellegrini's side now turn their attention to the Champions League as they prepare to take on Roma on Tuesday.

Lampard, Ronaldo And The Week That Didn’t Happen
Chelsea FC are hopping mad at Frank Lampard while Cristiano Ronaldo trolls his former club, Manchester United.
Chelsea fans have convinced the world and themselves that they bear Frank Lampard, their former vice captain and erstwhile prince of hearts, no ill-will whatsoever, for scoring against them in Manchester City colors and then almost scoring another. In fact they’ve gone out of their way to drive home that point, when even the most unreasonable observer would grant them some room for feeling gobsmacked. But not Chelsea. No Sir, thank you very much. The Blues don’t do self-pity or second-guessing here.
And so Mourinho and his men released a graciously worded press release:
We wish Frank Lampard nothing but respect for his many years of service, through the worst of times and the best. Our door will always remain open to him if he chooses to return, as we look to shut out rival teams because he is just too much of a legend to our fans both young and old to ever forget. As everyone knows, we have no bigger star in our history. Thank you for the memories. We still fondly cherish you scoring against every Premier League team for us, at the most crucial of times. There’s fat chance we’ll find another Frank.
Moving on from Frank Lampard to another former Premier League superstar – Cristiano Ronaldo has successfully managed to troll Manchester United again by giving them hope. The Red Devils are languishing in 12th spot, with 5 points out of 5 games, or as Louis Van Gaal called it “a perfect record” – until someone reminded him a win was worth 3 points. Naturally, Manchester United fans are hopeful for anything that might help them turn the pages and regain some of that past glory.
Ronaldo who likes to remind his Madrid managers who is boss, occasionally pretends he wants to trade Champions League winner status in a team favored by the Spanish monarchy for mid-level status in a team owned by the Glazers.
There was an awkward moment when Carlo Ancelotti rubbished such suggestions with a brusque “Yeah, Right”, and Manchester United fans thought it was confirmation.
At Real Madrid, Gareth Bale has gotten himself in hot water by accidentally driving over a female fan’s foot. The club has promised to view this incident seriously, and take whatever disciplinary action the situation mandates. Real Madrid has a proud legacy of punishing players for unintentional acts of violence. The club truly lives by its credo of ignoring any act of physical aggression as long as the player truly intended to do it. As long as Pepe kicks Lionel Messi out of nothing but pure spite, and Cristiano Ronaldo punches Diego Godin in the face because he really wanted to, Real Madrid would not intervene in nature’s broader plans – but heaven forbid you accidentally injure a ticket-buying fan.
Adam Lallana whose presence in the Liverpool team seems to jinx it – both his Premier League appearances for the Kop have ended in defeat – is still raring to go. That might not necessarily be a good thing, because he has claimed that his club, Liverpool FC, could certainly end its “tough spell” by beating Everton – the club he grew up idolizing – in the Merseyside derby.
When reporters pointed out that Liverpool’s “tough spell” has lasted for over two decades now, Adam Lallana dug in deeper and insisted a pointless derby between the teams ranked 11th and 14th was what was going to turn the Kop’s fortunes around.
Tottenham Hotspur have unveiled plans to upgrade their White Hart Lane grounds to boost capacity to an impressive 56,250 capacity. Arsene Wenger immediately criticized the plans, because as usual he had one eye on others’ affairs even though it really was none of his business . Explaining his stance, Wenger claimed a larger stadium would only increase expectations for the club to deliver results. When an advisor helpfully pointed out that every club – with an upgraded stadium or not – was expected to deliver, Arsene Wenger seemed genuinely shocked at the revelation.
The Frenchman later released a statement explaining that since he’d spent the last decade at Arsenal successfully ensuring Gunners do not even dare to dream of anything more than a balanced budget and a top 4 finish, he had naturally forgotten that other clubs still sought titles and silverware. “An honest mistake”, he said, “it could happen to the best of us”.

Bristol Academy 1-0 Manchester City ladies
Left back Yorston's decisive strike came at the end of a first half which had been dominated by Manchester City.
Midfielder Jill Scott twice missed the target before forcing goalkeeper Mary Earps into a good diving save.
The keeper then had to keep out a goalbound Scott header as the visitors continued to push for an opening goal.
But a minute before half-time, Yorston headed Bristol in front.
Fifteen minutes into the second half, striker Nicola Watts almost doubled the lead with a shot that flew narrowly over the bar.
And 10 minutes from time, only an excellent save by City keeper Karen Bardsley prevented striker Laura del Rio from making the game safe.

Spoiler: Show/Hide
Spoilbox

Chelsea forward Eden Hazard, 23, has ruled out any chance of leaving Chelsea for Paris St-Germain, despite continued interest from the French champions. (DSSC)

Manchester United playmaker Juan Mata has emerged as a transfer target for former club Valencia, with the Spanish club keen to sign the 26-year-old on loan in January with a view to a £30m deal next summer. (Daily Star)

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew says midfielder Cheick Tiote, 28, was left unsettled by the prospect of a move to the Russian league during the summer and is keen to get the Ivory Coast international tied to a new deal at the Tyneside club. (Daily Mirror)

Stoke manager Mark Hughes says striker Emmanuel Riviere, 24, turned down a move to the Potters in the summer in favour of joining Newcastle. (The Times)

Aston Villa, Sunderland and Southampton are set to battle it out for the signature of Manchester United winger Ashley Young, 29. (Daily Express)

Chelsea's Ryan Bertrand, 25, whose loan stint at Southampton is his ninth with seven different clubs, is hoping to make his latest escape from Stamford Bridge in January. (Daily Mirror)

Nottingham Forest boss Stuart Pearce says his injury problems could force him to dip into the loan transfer market. (Daily Star)

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers gave up his free Sunday to join striker Daniel Sturridge, 25, in a training session to test his fitness ahead of this week's Champions League match in Basel. (DSSC)

West Brom manager Alan Irvine believes striker Saido Berahino should be in England manager Roy Hodgson's thoughts for the upcoming European Championship qualifiers against San Marino and Estonia. (Birmingham Mail)

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has ordered his players in for extra practice at taking corners. The Gunners had 15 corners in Saturday's north London derby draw with Spurs but created only one chance from them. (Daily Express)

Crystal Palace manager Neil Warnock has praised the performance of winger Jason Puncheon, 28, after criticising him last season. (The Guardian)

Not surprisingly, Europe's win in the Ryder Cup has captured interest from plenty of Premier League footballers. "Yes, well played #TeamEurope totally deserved, and for Donaldson to clinch it in his first Ryder Cup too!" wrote Stoke goalkeeper Jack Butland. Manchester United's Michael Carrick added: "There you go!! What a shot to win it @DonaldsonJamie Well done boys, top drawer."

A campaign has been launched calling for former Stoke City kit man Neil Baldwin to be given a knighthood after his story was told in the BBC film Marvellous last week. (Stoke Sentinel)

MORE BOLLOX SHORTLY
Last edited by Chinners on Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:31 am, edited 8 times in total.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Re: Monday's B****x

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:53 am

What's the significance of Brendan Bodgers giving up his "free" Sunday, to join Daniel Sturridge in a training session to test out his fitness ??

Is this supposed to show that Bodgers, apart from being a tactical genius, is a 'man-management' supremo as well as being a wonderful, caring human being ??

Or is it an excuse not to spend the day with his new girl-friend ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:07 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:What's the significance of Brendan Bodgers giving up his "free" Sunday, to join Daniel Sturridge in a training session to test out his fitness ??

Is this supposed to show that Bodgers, apart from being a tactical genius, is a 'man-management' supremo as well as being a wonderful, caring human being ??

Or is it an excuse not to spend the day with his new girl-friend ??

he was there to open the training complex at 6, got in and hoovered and dusted the dressing room, mowed the training pitches, painted the lines and then cooked danny a full fry. a top, top man.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Goaters 103 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:05 am

Did Brendan mention the difference in spending budgets of Liverpool & Everton after Saturdays game? He must have done as its always on his mind when he faces us.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Re: Monday's B****x (updated)

Postby Cit.revenge » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:21 pm

Against Roma is just play tight on Totti , close Raja and Pjanic and watch for Gerwino .They are good side but we should beat them if we play 100& .We are lucky they don't have last year defense .
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
Cit.revenge
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:36 pm

Kolorov is right , the City support at home is fucking shite....like a fucking library.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby littlebig » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:37 pm

Mario, you can do better than that son!
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby Nick » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:56 pm

nice to see kolorov backing me speaking out against the plastics/shit fans at home

“In a game like this you have to feel you are playing at home – for the first couple of minutes our fans are good and crazy but then they calm down,” said Kolarov.
“We play a lot of European games and you see other fans come to our stadium and do it, so I hope our fans can do that tomorrow. We need them because it is a very important game.
“We need support at home. Away, we have great support, one of the best, but at home in my opinion we are a little bit quiet.”

to the cunt that spends the 70 minutes of the match before he goes home betting on the other team, have that.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Socrates » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:27 am

It's Manchester City WOMEN not ladies...
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:20 am

Socrates wrote:It's Manchester City WOMEN not ladies...

pervert.

Related, who does Samir's hair on a surgery day? Most people would look like shit and he's got as much product as any metrosexual looking to score on a thursday night. Well done the lesbian frog!

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Return to The Maine Football forum