***Capital One Cup 3rd Round - City v Sheffield Wednesday***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***Capital One Cup 3rd Round - City v Sheffield Wednesda

Postby Slim » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:18 am

Invisible Man Fan wrote:
charvet_wonderland wrote:
Slim wrote:Oh god, that was no fucking red.

Letter of the law and all that but I felt gutted for him at the time. Don't know if Joan conveyed this adequately but that's the only time I can remember a dismissed player receiving an ovation from all 4 sides of the ground. Bit surreal.

I didn't get that....I was baffled as to why our fans gave him an ovation? I missed the challenge as my daughter was mithering me. I looked up when everyone around me jumped up.

Was it actually a foul and should have been a yellow or was it never a foul to begin with?

It was a foul, left his leg in. Yellow maybe, but under the letter of the law he was the last defender(the keeper was about 8 yards behind him, how many defenders do you want to put there?) and therefore a red. Stupid rule, stupid dismissal and the refs should have more sense than this.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:21 am

Slim wrote:
Invisible Man Fan wrote:

Letter of the law and all that but I felt gutted for him at the time. Don't know if Joan conveyed this adequately but that's the only time I can remember a dismissed player receiving an ovation from all 4 sides of the ground. Bit surreal.

I didn't get that....I was baffled as to why our fans gave him an ovation? I missed the challenge as my daughter was mithering me. I looked up when everyone around me jumped up.

Was it actually a foul and should have been a yellow or was it never a foul to begin with?

It was a foul, left his leg in. Yellow maybe, but under the letter of the law he was the last defender(the keeper was about 8 yards behind him, how many defenders do you want to put there?) and therefore a red. Stupid rule, stupid dismissal and the refs should have more sense than this.

There is nothing in the rules mentioning last defender. It was a poor decision by the Ref, the heartless bastard.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:29 am

If it's a foul & it stops a clear goal scoring opportunity, it's a red card but some refs would turn a blind eye.

The first question is whether it was a foul. If it was, then it looked like Fwank would have otherwise been able to get to the ball & potentially score, so therefore it stopped a goalscoring opportunity.

Would John Terry or Skrtel or a rag defender get a red for the same ? Not in million fucking years. Vinny at Anfield ? Absolutely no doubt whatsoever.

We are higher up the refs' pecking order than Wednesday, the foul is on Frank Lampard, result: red card. If the same incident had happened last Sunday, we wouldn't have even got a pen.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby sheblue » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:30 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Slim wrote:
Invisible Man Fan wrote:

There is nothing in the rules mentioning last defender. It was a poor decision by the Ref, the heartless bastard.

true, but some might not be saying that if it was 0-0.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:34 am

Ted Hughes wrote:If it's a foul & it stops a clear goal scoring opportunity, it's a red card but some refs would turn a blind eye.

The first question is whether it was a foul. If it was, then it looked like Fwank would have otherwise been able to get to the ball & potentially score, so therefore it stopped a goalscoring opportunity.

Would John Terry or Skrtel or a rag defender get a red for the same ? Not in million fucking years. Vinny at Anfield ? Absolutely no doubt whatsoever.

We are higher up the refs' pecking order than Wednesday, the foul is on Frank Lampard, result: red card. If the same incident had happened last Sunday, we wouldn't have even got a pen.

If it had been last Sunday Lampard would have been booked.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:35 am

Ted Hughes wrote:If it's a foul & it stops a clear goal scoring opportunity, it's a red card but some refs would turn a blind eye.

The defender had his leg planted and frank was already stumbling through and didn't have control of the ball in all honesty. I felt sorry for the lad.
As Gary Neville said at the weekend about M.Deans performance, if you go by the letter of the law then you cannot argue with decisions, but a ref can choose to referee it differently and I agree with that. He could have given him a yellow and not 1 person would have moaned.

Prime example to back up your point Ted. Kolo Toure 120th minute, pole-axes the forward and didn't even get a yellow!
Wonderwall

Postby Slim » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:04 am

Okay having trouble editing from the phone so...

@wonderwall, you know the rule and the interpretation of that rule, stop being a twonk.

@sheblue, 'penalty and yellow' or 'red card', I wouldn't argue for both ever as I don't believe the goal scoring opportunity has been denied if a pen is awarded.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby phips » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:37 am

finally got to watch the match.

the red was pretty harsh on Sheffield.

much better effort from Yaya…best of the season so far

kind of upsetting that we couldn't get a good chance on goal in the first half with such a strong starting 11 out there but the end result is all that matters i guess.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:44 am

phips wrote:
kind of upsetting that we couldn't get a good chance on goal in the first half with such a strong starting 11 out there but the end result is all that matters i guess.

Apart from Mangala hitting the post
Wonderwall

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:44 am

Slim wrote:Okay having trouble editing from the phone so...

@wonderwall, you know the rule and the interpretation of that rule, stop being a twonk.

@sheblue, 'penalty and yellow' or 'red card', I wouldn't argue for both ever as I don't believe the goal scoring opportunity has been denied if a pen is awarded.

when did you start being nice :-)
Wonderwall

Postby phips » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:20 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
phips wrote:

Apart from Mangala hitting the post

true enough
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus