Silva's corners

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Silva's corners

Postby PeterParker » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:54 pm

Jeez, what a bunch of terrible kicks.

Odd enough for a player of his skills. I was convinced he was responsible for the Chelsea counter at the goal, but it was Jimmy's ball, but Dave has his fault for the goal Stoke scored.

9-10 corners, all the same, in the first defender. I have no ideea why the Count insist him on taking those, when Kolarov could deliver even better balls.
Last edited by PeterParker on Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Re: Silva's corners

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:09 pm

Atrocious! Can't get my head around Kolarov not taking them. Silva must hit some beauties in training because he rarely does it in a match.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Scatman » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:04 pm

Outswingers as well. Rubbish.
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby littlebig » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:17 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Can't get my head around Kolarov not taking them

+1
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby Blue Since 76 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:55 pm

The worst ones were against Stoke - two short strikers, so we kept floating in balls for Crouch to practice his heading on.

How about playing a few to the edge of the box and try some shots, or short corner and then drive it into the box. At least mix them up a bit to get the opposition guessing - you watch gridiron (it's not football, whatever they say) and they have about 70 plays they can use from the snap. We have two - hit first man or short corner and dink it in for an easy catch
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Clowncrete » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:13 pm

Our free kicks are equally bad. Last night we had one and tried to pass it into the net. When you have physical monsters like Kompany, Mangala, Edin, why not send a fast paced aerial balls for them to head in?
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:12 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Atrocious! Can't get my head around Kolarov not taking them. Silva must hit some beauties in training because he rarely does it in a match.

Yep, and even if Alex's cross hit an opponent, it would probably at least lay him out.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby nottsblue » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:22 pm

For a professional footballer to not deliver decent crosses, say eight times out of ten, is nothing short of disgraceful.

For the same player to still be allowed to take the dead ball time after time is appalling management and needs looking at. It's not as if we have a team of dead beats who can't take a dead ball. Mix it up a little.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:46 pm

nottsblue wrote:For a professional footballer to not deliver decent crosses, say eight times out of ten, is nothing short of disgraceful.

For the same player to still be allowed to take the dead ball time after time is appalling management and needs looking at. It's not as if we have a team of dead beats who can't take a dead ball. Mix it up a little.

I gotta agree, I think the last time I struggled so badly to hit a decent corner was when I was playing under 10's football for bury juniors - there it wasn't accepted and I was dropped til I could hit a decent ball Into the right area consistently

I learned, and don't think I ever hit the first man again after that

It's really not that fucking hard is it
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby getdressedmctavish » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:26 pm

Another area where Pellers needs to start showing evidence of thought. KK could do "I love you" and "play your natural game" Taking Dzeko off when we had a corner was another cracking decision.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Moonchesteri » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:44 pm

Clowncrete wrote:Our free kicks are equally bad. Last night we had one and tried to pass it into the net. When you have physical monsters like Kompany, Mangala, Edin, why not send a fast paced aerial balls for them to head in?

I love those moves! We've surely worked a lot on that move as this isn't the first time we tried that. Obviously last night we didn't pull it off but it would've been fabulous goal it would've worked. Plus imo it's good to mix it up occasionally.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Moonchesteri » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:36 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Atrocious! Can't get my head around Kolarov not taking them. Silva must hit some beauties in training because he rarely does it in a match.

Apparently Manuel values Aleks' aerial ability then as that's the only reason I can come up with. And we seem to have that rehearsed move where Kolarov makes the run to near post and tries to flick it on.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby phips » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:07 am

either side should be AK or Milner.

Silva and Nasri were whiffing their corners vs Arsenal and then Kolarov takes one and Marty scores.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Slim » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:20 am

I'd let aguero take a stab at them, he couldn't do any worse.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Clowncrete » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:51 am

Moonchesteri wrote:
Clowncrete wrote:Our free kicks are equally bad. Last night we had one and tried to pass it into the net. When you have physical monsters like Kompany, Mangala, Edin, why not send a fast paced aerial balls for them to head in?

I love those moves! We've surely worked a lot on that move as this isn't the first time we tried that. Obviously last night we didn't pull it off but it would've been fabulous goal it would've worked. Plus imo it's good to mix it up occasionally.

I can't remember us ever scoring a goal through a move like that. Not to mention that we never lob balls in even when we really need a goal.
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:51 am

phips wrote:either side should be AK or Milner.

Silva and Nasri were whiffing their corners vs Arsenal and then Kolarov takes one and Marty scores.

It was Milners shit corner that Chelsea broke from and scored on sunday, its not just Silva who is bobbins at them
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby sheblue » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:03 am

shit corners? maybe, just as well he got the pass into milner 100% though.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:07 am

Clowncrete wrote:
Moonchesteri wrote:

I can't remember us ever scoring a goal through a move like that. Not to mention that we never lob balls in even when we really need a goal.

Agreed mate. The whole idea of these 'routines' is to catch the opposition by SURPRISE. However we do it far too often, sometimes two or three times in the same game so the surprise element just isn't there. It's predictable.
We've never scored from one of these either, just knock it in to the box, we have a great aerial presence.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:10 am

Slim wrote:I'd let aguero take a stab at them, he couldn't do any worse.

Possibly, although I'd prefer Aguero to be in the mix for any second balls or flick ons tbh.
Get Kolarov taking them, maybe even someone like Fernandinho. It's not hard to hit a decent corner.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Hazy2 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:41 am

Whatever set piece you try, it is over for that one as the opos see it on the weeks build up and it's game over, Kolarov smashing one knee high could interesting for a team to deal. Mangala, will be the man to add a goal or two over the season, Demi also did well at the Arse.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum