Silva's corners

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Silva's corners

Postby twosips » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:19 pm

The thing for me is is that Silva can't actually kick a ball very hard. Like really hard. He can't get distance and power at the same time like Kolarov can. He can get one or the other, but at the expense of the other probably. Whipping in a corner doesn't appear to come naturally to him. Bit of an odd one for me. I'd honestly rather he be around the edge of the area and told to twat it towards goal if it breaks to him.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Original Dub » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:30 pm

twosips wrote:The thing for me is is that Silva can't actually kick a ball very hard. Like really hard. He can't get distance and power at the same time like Kolarov can. He can get one or the other, but at the expense of the other probably. Whipping in a corner doesn't appear to come naturally to him. Bit of an odd one for me. I'd honestly rather he be around the edge of the area and told to twat it towards goal if it breaks to him.

The thing is, he can do that when shooting and has done in the past on a handful of occassions, both for us and for Valencia. He's likely to do it on the odd occasion in the future too.

The problem is that his mind is set on the movement around him (probably the best in the world at this imo) and he isn't a natural striker of the ball. I've resigned myself to this fact and I'm fine with it. He's not far off 29 and this isn't likely to change. Every other attacker we have is the same with regard to weaknesses in their game, but as long as they all compliment each other, I'm ok with his ten goals and more assists as long as he continues to hold onto the ball at the level he does.

All this said, he shouldn't be taking corners or set pieces and I'd love to know why even Toure doesn't take them if Kolarov can't. They can't be any worse and Toure is as likely to smash in a header as I am, so he's not wasted at the corner flag.
Maybe the thinking is that Toure and Kolarov are needed for breaking balls from defenders, given how well they do strike the ball, but that's one for the Count I suppose.
Original Dub

Postby twosips » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:40 pm

Ah the long range goals i remember for us weren't exactly proper rockets though. Kinda medium paced long range shots that floated as much as they drilled. Not in the way someone like Kolarov or Yaya, as you mentioned, properly lets off a missile of a shot. In general a really powerful long range Silva shot is a rarity imo.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby ayrshireblue » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:17 pm

Either stop taking them or practice taking them
ayrshireblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:16 pm

Merlin shouldn't be taking our corners; he should be in the box where his height and majestic heading ability are needed instead.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby getdressedmctavish » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:53 am

Full marks to Pellers, knocked it on the head
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:07 pm

twosips wrote:Ah the long range goals i remember for us weren't exactly proper rockets though. Kinda medium paced long range shots that floated as much as they drilled. Not in the way someone like Kolarov or Yaya, as you mentioned, properly lets off a missile of a shot. In general a really powerful long range Silva shot is a rarity imo.

It is a rarity but he is capable

http://youtu.be/0dMH8yuByn0
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby phips » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:29 pm

i was pleasantly surprised to see Milner take all of the corners at the end of the half. and what do you know, we actually threatened from them.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby nottsblue » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:46 pm

phips wrote:i was pleasantly surprised to see Milner take all of the corners at the end of the half. and what do you know, we actually threatened from them.

Three in a row and all were good. Just shows how easy it is to deliver a potent threat
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby zuricity » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:30 pm

Silvas corners.... are still rubbish. How on earth he thought he should take a free kick ahead of Kolorov needs serious attention from Brian Kidd.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby london blue 2 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:57 pm

Agree with the FK but fuck me he was good in that second half!
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum