Tuesday's B****x (updated)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Tuesday's B****x (updated)

Postby Chinners » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:02 am

THE BOLLOX

MCF.net THREAD: viewtopic.php?f=119&t=48678&start=180

Bayern Munich midfielder Xabi Alonso believes his team will be facing one of the best teams in Europe when City arrive at the Allianz tomorrow evening.
The former Liverpool and Real Madrid star has won the competition twice and is one of football’s most decorated players at club and international level so he is speaking from a position of authority – and he is expecting two difficult games against Manuel Pellegrini’s side.
The National also quote Martin Demichelis in their preview: “Two-time Champions League winner Xabi Alonso is set to make his first appearance for Bayern in the competition since his move from Real Madrid.
“City ended Bayern’s 10-game winning streak in the Champions League when they last met. But Alonso hopes his new club can get their revenge on Wednesday before facing other Group E opponents CSKA Moscow and AS Roma.
‘Manchester City are among the 10 best teams in Europe,’ he said. ‘But we want to get the points.’
“Bayern manager Pep Guardiola and City coach Manuel Pellegrini know each other well from Spanish football. Ex-Barcelona coach Guardiola already faced the Chilean when he was in charge of Real Madrid, Villarreal and Malaga.
“Pellegrini will serve a touchline ban on Wednesday, while he will also be without Argentine full-back Pablo Zabaleta after he was sent off against Barcelona last season.
“Martin Demichelis, who scored City’s late equaliser in a 2-2 draw with Arsenal on Saturday, returns to his former club.
Meanwhile, website Rediff.com report the German champions are having something of an injury crisis ahead of the game with City.
They report: “Bayern, who won the Champions League in 2013, have yet to hit top form this season, with many players tired after the World Cup and others, including Thiago Alcantara, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Rafinha, out injured.
“Dutchman Arjen Robben is doubtful after missing training on Sunday with a knee problem and fellow winger Franck Ribery made his season debut on Saturday, coming on as a substitute and scoring in the 2-0 win over VfB Stuttgart.
“Coach Pep Guardiola, however, will need to reshuffle his defence with Holger Badstuber tearing a thigh muscle tendon during the game and set to undergo surgery
“Bayern’s attacking game was far too static for Guardiola's taste ahead of the game against City who beat them at home in the same stage last season to end Bayern's record 10-game winning streak.
"We know we have to improve further against Manchester City," captain Philipp Lahm said.
There could be an element of kidology here and don’t be surprised if one or two of the ‘doubtful’ brigade make an appearance tomorrow.
Finally, Give Me Sport make a valid case for City being the ideal home for Real Madrid’s Isco at some point in the near future.
The former Malaga star was believed to be close to joining City before he opted for Real just over a year ago, but he has become something of a bit-part player in recent games.
They report: “As one of Spanish football's new ‘Golden Generation’ along with the likes of Thiago Alcantara, Gerard Deulofeu and Marc Bartra et al, Isco potentially has a difficult decision ahead.
“Bide his time at Real in the (probably vain) hope that he commands a regular start, or look for pastures new to continue his previously rapid development.
“Manuel Pellegrini for one would welcome him to Manchester City. City's gain would certainly be Madrid's loss...”

James Milner believes Manchester City have it all to prove in Europe
James Milner is clear that Manchester City have to prove themselves in the Champions League, with the midfielder stating winning the competition is the target.
Manuel Pellegrini’s team face Bayern Munich in Bavaria in Wednesday’s opening Group E fixture having reached the knockout phase last season for the first time.
Asked how the European Cup is viewed at City, Milner said: “It means a lot. When I first started at the club it was new to us as a club, new to us as a team. Players had played in it before, but it’s completely different when you’re playing in it as a group. So I think year on year we should get better and we’ll keep on improving, the more experience we have as a group in the Champions League.
“There are a lot of games we’ve played now, a lot that we have learned over the years we’ve been in it and I think having won the Premier League a couple of times and been fortunate enough to win every trophy domestically, we want to prove ourselves on the European stage and I believe we have a good enough team to do that.
“I think being the club that we are, and with the players we have, winning it is the ultimate aim. But you never get too far ahead – you look at it a game at a time and start then.”
City lost 3-1 to Bayern in the corresponding game of last year’s group stage before Milner scored the winner in the 3-2 victory in the return. Of that match at the Allianz Arena last December, Milner said: “We started the game terribly. I think the first 15 minutes we were 2-0 down and, playing against the European champions, I don’t think there’s many teams who would have come back from that – it would have been game done – but that shows the character and the quality we have in the squad, and to have that mental strength to come back and win the game is massive.
Milner added: “I was just hanging out at the back post. I think it might have been Jesús [Navas] who got down the right, put a cross in and it found its way through to me and I just managed to curl it in the far corner I think, which is something we do a lot in training. I do have to train a lot, with practice for the keepers, with the coaches, and it was a first-time finish.”

Scholes: No excuses for Man City in the Champions League
The former United star believes the Blues must do well this season, but says the lack of a "hostile" home atmosphere could cost them.
Paul Scholes believes Manchester City have "little excuse" not to go far in the Champions League this season.
Manuel Pellegrini took the Blues to the last-16 stage of the competition in 2013-14 - the club's best-ever performance in Europe's premier tournament.
But Scholes expects an even better showing this time around after Pellegrini further strengthened his squad over the summer.
"Champions League will be their main focus for the season. Their owners will want to see them push on in the Champions League," he told ITV.
"They have a tough group this year, but with the players they have they need to go on to win it, and there's really little excuse not to do well."
The former Manchester United midfielder also revealed that he expects Liverpool, who ended a five-year absence from the Champions League by qualifying last season, to do well upon their return.
And he thinks the "hostile" atmosphere at Anfield could prove to be an advantage over City in Europe.
"Liverpool are the dark horse of the competition this year," he added.
"Brendan Rodgers has done a fantastic job. The style of play he's adopted is exciting to watch and the players seem to have taken to him. I feel they will do well with the players they have.
"The big advantage they have is a home crowd. Anfield is always a hostile place to go, which is something Manchester City lack."

Champions League: Man City and Chelsea can pass German tests, says Graeme Souness
Are Manchester City more concerned with the Champions League than the Premier League this year? I don’t think so.
Manuel Pellegrini would take either of those trophies right now and you can’t cherry-pick and say you would focus on the European Cup over the league or vice versa. These are big clubs that carry big squads and their supporters expect them to make an impression in both competitions.
There’s not a great deal of difference between the first choice and second choice players in lots of positions, so that will mean they will be stronger in the domestic competition. I don’t see that issue as a real handicap to them.
However, I don’t know why they have failed to get beyond the last 16 in Europe because they certainly have the players to do better. It’s a mystery to me – and it will be to the coach as well.
I would expect Manchester City to finish second in their group, behind Bayern Munich, but I can still see them making the semi-finals if the draw is kind to them. Roma are also in the group, but I think Italian football is nowhere near as strong as it used to be and I think City will finish second – although I wouldn’t rule out them winning it.
Manchester City went to Munich last season and got a result and so they can go there with some confidence. I don’t rule anything out.
But with Robert Lewandowski now in their ranks, you would have to say that Bayern Munich are stronger this year. Toni Kroos is a loss to them and they need Bastian Schweinsteiger to stay fit.
But there’s no doubt about it, even if you take Kroos out of a squad, putting Lewandowski into it makes them stronger. Of all the strikers that changed clubs, he was the man to get this summer.
I think Bayern can go on and win the Champions League again. You can give them the Bundesliga now, but Pep Guardiola has to get them to the final in Berlin next year.
I would fancy Bayern Munich to win on Wednesday night, but would I be surprised if Manchester City got a result? No I wouldn’t.

Watch on youtube.com

Man City defender Eliaquim Mangala: We must pay attention to small details in Champions League group [Video]
New Manchester City defender Eliaquim Mangala could make his debut in the club’s massive clash with Bayern Munich this week but the Frenchman remains undaunted.
Having played in the Champions League before with Porto, Mangala knows that Europe’s premier competition is unforgiving and will expose the clubs that aren’t good enough.
The centre-half was speaking about his aims for the CL campaign and stressed that City must pay attention to the small details and aim to top the group. Which is pretty much precisely what City didn’t do last year.
After coming back from two nil down at the Allianz Arena, City stormed into a 3-2 lead but for some reason didn’t pursue a fourth goal that would have seen them top the group.
On City’s objectives in Europe this season, Mangala said: “I think we have a quality squad but we must not forget that the Champions League is all about the small details. The most important thing to do is get through the group stages and to top the group is always beneficial. We know we have to be really focused because two or three chances can decide a game.”

Manchester City need to go all out to topple Bayern Munich to avoid another Champions League disappointment
There was more than a sense of déjà vu as the protracted Champions League draw crawled along to its conclusion in Monaco a couple of weeks ago.
As Champions, Manchester City did not have to navigate through the qualifying rounds, but being relative novices with a chequered recent history in the competition, they are a way off being one of the top seeds in pot one (another discussion in itself of course).
As a consequence they found themselves in pot 2 and ahead of the draw we saw all sorts of permutations mulled over – both worst and best case scenarios – and it is fair to say City were handed arguably the toughest of the eight groups.
It was with a wry smile then that City firstly found themselves drawn in the same group as Bayern Munich, one of the strongest sides in Europe last season and who have strengthened in the summer too.
This, don’t forget, will be the third season in four City will play against the Germans. Reprising the 2013/14 draw further saw City paired with CSKA Moscow and only the fact that Viktoria Plzen are not in the competition this year meant the possibility of a complete repeat was avoided.
How City must have dearly wished for Plzen to have been a possibility as they saw Roma pulled out of pot 4 (the lowest seed) to make up the group and present City with another tough opportunity in order to make the knock out stages.
Thomas Muller looking to hurt City again (Picture: Getty Images)
The reality though, is that a club of City’s standing and stature means there is the expectation that they do progress. Novices at this level no more, a squad of this quality and, importantly, familiarity with what’s needed to qualify.
The sense of déjà vu though is not merely restricted to their opponents at the group stage, but what may lie beyond it.
If you remember back to last season City finished as runner-up to Bayern and paid the price as in the round of 16 they drew – and exited – to Barcelona. In retrospect, we missed a great opportunity to progress by virtue of handing too much respect to our opponents; a sense of ‘job done’ after finally qualifying to the knock out stage.
Should City not usurp Bayern this season either a similar fate awaits them. They cannot of course draw Bayern or face another English side, which leaves the very real possibility of a(nother) repeat match up with Barcelona or the likes of Real Madrid.
The value of winning the group cannot be underestimated therefore and despite the cachet that Bayern command, City must set out with the aim of winning their group. The draw presents them with the greatest (but toughest) start in which to achieve this: a trip to Munich to kick things off.
No mean feat but also the perfect opportunity to start on a high and generate the belief needed to go on and top the group.
Belief has been the one trait they appear to have lacked during the past three or four years, but two Premier League titles has surely fostered this and the feeling is that it is time that City finally take a step forward in the Champions League.

Spoiler: Show/Hide
Spoilbox

Nottingham chosen as first City of Football The City of Football has two league teams - Nottingham Forest and Notts County
Nottingham has been chosen as England's first City of Football ahead of rivals Manchester and Portsmouth.
The three cities were selected by Sport England from 22 bids because of their commitment to promote the sport at grassroots level.
Nottingham will receive £1.6m in National Lottery funding to run a two-year pilot programme.
The city was praised by Sport England for its new ideas for "getting more people playing the national game".
Phil Smith, director of sport at Sport England, said: "Nottingham has an exciting and inventive response to the challenge of getting more people to play the game and we will look forward to working with them to make this happen.
"Nottingham was simply the best - it was a terrific bid."
Sport England said Nottingham's focus on a digital platform called Playbook, which helps promote football activities in the city, would bring more people to the sport.
Mr Smith said the £1.6m will be spent on a variety of projects including new sporting facilities and the digital service, which would help reach young people via their smart phones.
Nigel Cooke, head of One Nottingham, which promotes the city, said: "We will... encourage more people to play, especially 14 to 25 year olds, women and girls and people from black and minority ethnic backgrounds."

Forward Cristiano Ronaldo, 29, has become disillusioned with life at Real Madrid and could be keen on a return to Manchester United, according to the Spanish club's former president Ramon Calderon. (Talkshit)

Manchester United have an offer ready to re-sign Ronaldo from Real. (Sky Sports Understands)

United's hopes of signing Ronaldo have been boosted by Paris St-Germain ruling out a bid for the player. (Daily Star)

Liverpool could move for Ezequiel Lavezzi as the Argentina forward, 29, faces up to limited playing time at Paris St-Germain, having been a substitute in each of the French champions' opening three league matches. (Daily Express)

Barcelona winger Pedro, 27, has put Arsenal and Liverpool on red alert amid reports he is ready to quit the club in the new year after growing concerns he will be left as a luxury back-up to summer signing Luis Suarez, 27. (Metro)

Chelsea's Belgium midfielder Eden Hazard is close to signing a new five-year deal worth £200,000-a-week. The Blues are hopeful a new contract will end Paris St-Germain's hopes of signing the 23-year-old. (dssc)

Newcastle defender Fabricio Coloccini, 32, will be a surprise contender for the role of manager should club owner Mike Ashley sack current boss Alan Pardew. (Daily Telegraph)

Former Argentina boss Alejandro Sabella has emerged as a surprise front runner to take over as manager at Leeds United, who sacked Dave Hockaday in August. (Daily Mirror)

Everton want to build a new stadium at Walton Hall Park, which is about a mile from Goodison Park. (Liverpool Echo)

At the other end of Stanley Park, Liverpool hope to receive the go-ahead this month from city councillors for their proposed £75m Anfield upgrade. (Daily Telegraph)

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard, 34, says it will be a "major, major disappointment" if the Reds do not get beyond the last 16 of the Champions League. (dssc)

Former Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes, 39, believes Real Madrid have left themselves vulnerable in the defence of their Champions League title by selling Xabi Alonso and Angel Di Maria, opening the door to an English winner. (Independent)

Southampton midfielder Jack Cork, 25, who was linked with Crystal Palace in the summer, wants to extend his contract with the Saints beyond the end of the season. (Sky Sports Understands)

Wolfsburg striker Nicklas Bendtner, 26, has criticised his former club Arsenal, saying his last year with the Gunners was "wasted". (Daily Mirror)

West Ham United winger Stewart Downing, 30, believes he may have to wait until Roy Hodgson is no longer England manager to be recalled into the national squad. (Evening Standard)

Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil, 25, posted a picture of himself with Hollywood actor Samuel L Jackson on Twitter, saying: "He doesn't only know a lot about good movies, he also supports the best football team." But it was quickly pointed out to the German on social media that the actor is a Liverpool fan.

Thomas Vermaelen is still waiting for his Barcelona debut after joining from Arsenal last month and the Belgium defender, 28, is even struggling to get his large vehicle into the Nou Camp, taking more than two minutes to make the tight turn down a tunnel to the players' car park. (DSSC)

MORE BOLLOX SHORTLY
Last edited by Chinners on Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:33 am, edited 6 times in total.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Re: Tuesday's B****x

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:12 am

Thanx Chinners.

That quote from Scholes is on the MUEN site but wherever they lifted it from has missed a chunk of what Scholes actually said, to make it appear as if he has just said there is no atmosphere at City, wheras of course he actually said we're not 'up' for the Champions League for some reason.

We have already discussed his actual comments on here & most agree with him.

A piece of edited quoting purely to cause a reaction, negative from City fans, positive from rags etc.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Re: Tuesday's B****x

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:41 am

the ginger whinger is all over the bollox tis morning, the scums new rentaquote mouthpiece
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: Tuesday's B****x (updated)

Postby City64 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:16 am

Dave Kidd has written a whole page in the Mirror basically telling City fans to shut the fuck up you are a bunch of paranoid cunts who shouldn't be here ! Very nice I must say !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: Tuesday's B****x (updated)

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:06 pm

Everyone seems very keen to express an opinion on us today!

I am in Nottingham today and all the bus timetable signs keep scrolling about the City of Football win.

I see Stevie G has learnt from Red Nose saying he is not a 'top,top player' by going for a 'major, major disappointment'. More tears?
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Return to The Maine Football forum