EDS v Norwich

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

EDS v Norwich

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:38 pm

Good win tonight after a poor start to the season for the EDS. I won't bother copying the report off the OS but there were a few things from tonight's match. Interesting to see George Evans playing as a center back with Facey.I wonder if that is a plan to convert him to that role or were we just short of central defenders? Bossaerts was sat in the stand near me but he said he was being rested after 3 international games in the last week or so.Bryan had been tried there in a previous match and he was on the bench.

He got through the game with ease as Norwich didn't provide that much of a threat so I will wait till he gets tested properly as a defender.The Naaaarch goal came from some very poor stuff from Maffeo and Facey just gifting an easy chance with only Lawlor to beat.We had done the same at least once in the first half but apart from that Naaaarch created very little.

I thought the ref was awful and I reckon Pozo would agree.He loves to get on the ball and twist and turn but their defenders were all over him pulling/tugging or whatever they could do but I think the only time he gave a foul was just after he burst through two of them in the clear into the box! He did manage 2 great assists.The first one two with Fofana was quite simple but it was a gem of a touch.

The other was worth the entrance fee as he skipped past 2 or defenders in a tight space,getting to the byline and laying it on a plate for Hiwula.Bytyqi's 2 goals will be worth watching on the tv when they get shown. A sublime free kick which he practices a lot and then a clever goal after the defender missed a cross.

I didn't think it was a great performance but we were miles better than the Canaries. A few too many sloppy moments and times where the wrong option was taken.One of my favourite players,Maffeo, had a bit of an off day with his passing but some of his defensive work was decent.

The unluckiest player was Brandon Barker who hit a shot from the inside left position was cannoned off the far post ,across goal to hit the other post and then into the keepers hands.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: EDS v Norwich

Postby Spurge » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:43 pm

Cheers for the report - how did Glendon play?
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby twosips » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:21 pm

Is Pozo getting a bit of that pre-injury sharpness back now? Was convinced he'd be with the first team around now just under two years ago but he's been severly hampered by all the knocks by the looks of it
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:55 am

Cheers for this Doug.

Good to know that Pozo is starting to get his shit together again. Imo, he is above even the likes of Lopes for natural talent, but is not going to be physically great, so has to adapt if he is going to make it to the level his talent could take him,

Reading the OS, it suggests Bytqi was playing a different position than the usual wide one & had a good game. The lad has talent, but imo, is not at the same level as Barker as a wide player, & I saw him as one of those who would be released, purely down to the standard of our first team squad & the potential players coming through. Certainly has ability though (but they all do).

nice to win a game, as imo, the defence is almost non existent due to the loans etc.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:34 am

Spurge wrote:Cheers for the report - how did Glendon play?

He was ok sitting in front of the back 4 and just playing it simple but nothing special at all.I am not convinced it's the best position for him as he has a decent passing ability going forward but doesn't really show too much in this role.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:48 am

Ted Hughes wrote:Cheers for this Doug.

Good to know that Pozo is starting to get his shit together again. Imo, he is above even the likes of Lopes for natural talent, but is not going to be physically great, so has to adapt if he is going to make it to the level his talent could take him,

Reading the OS, it suggests Bytqi was playing a different position than the usual wide one & had a good game. The lad has talent, but imo, is not at the same level as Barker as a wide player, & I saw him as one of those who would be released, purely down to the standard of our first team squad & the potential players coming through. Certainly has ability though (but they all do).

nice to win a game, as imo, the defence is almost non existent due to the loans etc.

He played with 9 on his back and theoretically as the lone striker but rarely did you see him in the central forward position.He loves to come to get the ball in deep positions and drag his marker out and he does have great skill and balance on the ball. He was actually in the D when he played the neat one two with Fofana for the first goal but his game is all about floating wherever he wants it seems to me.No way did he have one of his best games but he is such a threat and that 2nd assist for Hiwula was brilliant and typical of what he can do.

There were one or two moments when he didn't go into a challenge ( maybe 50/50's) for fear of injury which maybe is sort of to be expected but you are right Ted in some ways he will never be physically great.On the other hand as he learns to handle the physical side better his balance and ability to ride tackles should take him a long way. Maybe not quite ready for 1st team sub roles/games but I for one would be happy to see him get on the bench v Sheff W. Playing with City's senior players would suit him perfectly.

As for Bytyqi I am not sure he did play a different position.I think he was mostly in the wide right position but I think Vieira doesn't expect the players to be too rigid in their roles and he was making some intelligent runs from the right and across the back line.He is pretty good on the ball in keeping possession although he does at times overdo it and lose out when he should have seen a pass. The free kick though was very good and reward for the great amount of practice he puts in on them.And the 2nd goal showed some great composure as you will see when the highlights get shown.

I agree re Barker as well.He can look magnificent at times when he takes a defender on.He has excellent speed and especially from a standing start which can really get him past players.Then it's all about the final pass or shot.He hit one shot which cannoned off both posts which was a great effort and one other close in effort where he tried to nutmeg the keeper but he sat on it. His other challenge is getting in the game enough but that's often the way for a winger.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:53 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Cheers for this Doug.

He played with 9 on his back and theoretically as the lone striker but rarely did you see him in the central forward position.He loves to come to get the ball in deep positions and drag his marker out and he does have great skill and balance on the ball. He was actually in the D when he played the neat one two with Fofana for the first goal but his game is all about floating wherever he wants it seems to me.No way did he have one of his best games but he is such a threat and that 2nd assist for Hiwula was brilliant and typical of what he can do.

There were one or two moments when he didn't go into a challenge ( maybe 50/50's) for fear of injury which maybe is sort of to be expected but you are right Ted in some ways he will never be physically great.On the other hand as he learns to handle the physical side better his balance and ability to ride tackles should take him a long way. Maybe not quite ready for 1st team sub roles/games but I for one would be happy to see him get on the bench v Sheff W. Playing with City's senior players would suit him perfectly.

As for Bytyqi I am not sure he did play a different position.I think he was mostly in the wide right position but I think Vieira doesn't expect the players to be too rigid in their roles and he was making some intelligent runs from the right and across the back line.He is pretty good on the ball in keeping possession although he does at times overdo it and lose out when he should have seen a pass. The free kick though was very good and reward for the great amount of practice he puts in on them.And the 2nd goal showed some great composure as you will see when the highlights get shown.

I agree re Barker as well.He can look magnificent at times when he takes a defender on.He has excellent speed and especially from a standing start which can really get him past players.Then it's all about the final pass or shot.He hit one shot which cannoned off both posts which was a great effort and one other close in effort where he tried to nutmeg the keeper but he sat on it. His other challenge is getting in the game enough but that's often the way for a winger.

I think he'll be able to come inside a lot more if need be, when he learns the game properly, as he can operate on either foot.

I watched the England U19s the other day. When Barker came on, he tended to run with the ball & get it pinched off him a bit too much, & his performance was a fair bit below what I've seen from him, but near the end, he just stood the fullback up & then in the space of six yards or so, left him so much for dead that he had time to look up & pick his cross, which he did with a lovely little Peter Beagrie/Rosler kind of ball to the back post, which should have been the match winning goal.

The fullback was no slouch but Barker just seemed to ghost away from him in a few paces, effortlessly. He didn't look to be moving especially quickly, but he seemed to gain half a yard of distance on the fullback with each step. The guy couldn't get near him.

(Edit: just thought who that part of his game reminds me of; John Barnes without the weight)

I recon Pablo Zabaleta would have exactly the same problem if Barker took him on like that. Pablo could probably take the ball from him & dump him on his arse 8 times of ten, but Barker would skin him alive on occasion in any game imo & that's a potential match winner.

I hope we can put the finishing touches to him & get him into the first team picture, because he's got something a bit special about him & we don't have a player like that. Adam Johnson with pace I suppose is the nearest comparison to players in recent years. When you consider Barker is only 17, but is probably physically better than AJ already, imo we could have another talent on par with Iheanacho here.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby getdressedmctavish » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:42 pm

Well interesting chaps.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site