Financial Foul Play - The End is Nigh

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Financial Foul Play - The End is Nigh

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:20 pm

And here we have FFP in nuce, the dippers get away with it and Hull fall foul of it:

Liverpool cleared of financial fair play breaches but Hull City fined

Liverpool have been cleared of financial fair play (FFP) breaches but Hull City have been hit with a fine, European football's governing body confirmed in a statement on Friday.

The Reds had been one of several clubs absent from European competition last season under investigation by UEFA's Club Financial Control Body (CFCB).

The CFCB met on Friday and announced that its investigations into Liverpool had -- as expected -- ended without any sanctions being brought against the Merseyside club.

But Hull, who played in the qualifying rounds of the Europa League, were one of four clubs to have agreed to a settlement fine for FFP breaches.

A UEFA statement said: "The Club Financial Control Body investigatory chamber announced that Liverpool have been found (following the submission of additional financial information) to have satisfied the break-even requirement and are no longer under investigation."

Liverpool made a loss of 49.8 million pounds for the 2012-13 season and 40.5 million pounds for the 10-month period before that, but have been able to write off a big chunk of those losses as allowable stadium expenditure.

The 2011-12 accounts reported that 49.6 million pounds was associated with stadium costs, with 35 million coming from former co-owner Tom Hicks' aborted plan to build a new stadium in Stanley Park -- a plan Fenway Sports Group had to scrap after taking over.

Anfield chief executive Ian Ayre welcomed the decision, telling PA Sport the financial period covered by the FFP review had been "difficult" for the club.

"The club was going through a transitional period having just emerged from a difficult financial and operational position under previous ownership," he said.

"Since FSG took over in October 2010, we have stabilised the club and made good overall progress by taking a measured approach to our financial position as we worked towards FFP compliance."

Friday's statement said the CFCB had announced that "four clubs -- Hapoel Tel-Aviv, Hull City, Panathinaikos and Ruch Chorzow -- have individually agreed to settlement agreements following non-compliance with FFP break-even regulations."

Hull manager Steve Bruce said that was because the Tigers had lost money in their successful attempt to win promotion from the Championship and "because we qualified for a UEFA tournament [the Europa League]."

He added: "We've been given two or three years to make sure we're all right, and after that we should be in a healthy position."

The statement added: "These agreements are aimed at ensuring each club achieves break-even compliance with minimal delay."

The four clubs will pay an "unconditional amount" of 200,000 euros and will be subject to ongoing monitoring.

The CFCB also announced that investigations would be opened into Dinamo Moscow and Lokomotiv Moscow "after these clubs disclosed break-even deficit in respect of their financial reporting periods ending in 2012, 2013 and 2014."

Further investigations into the accounts of Monaco, for possible overspending on player transfers and wages, will be carried out, while Inter Milan and Roma will also be looked at for potential breaches of FFP rules.

Last season, Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain were the clubs hit hardest by UEFA for breaching FFP regulations, with each being fined 49 million pounds and given restrictions on transfer spending and a reduction in Champions League squad size.

UEFA is continuing to monitor the two clubs this season, with auditors due to visit City next week.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:39 pm

absolutely illegal mafioso bollox.

i can't wait until we eventually get both our fine rescinded, and a punitive payment from the governing thieves from whence this horseshit has arisen.

Someone should hand Hull City a fucking trophy for even fucking getting over on anyone with that wacky owner and Elephant Man at the helm instead of fining the cunts.

Silly shit.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:37 pm

The Hull situation shows how fucking wrong the system is. Hull invest to get promoted, and the following season or two will make that investment back in spades through premier league tv money, yet they are penalised for having the temerity to do well in a domestic competition the year after they are promoted.

Hull invested in their business, and like any investment, the return comes in the years following that investment. FFP completely undermines sound business strategy.

That absolutely fucking stinks, and is NOT what FFP was supposed to be about. I can understand them going for us, but this is pathetic. This absolutely proves beyond doubt that all the rules are there to do, as we have said all along, is to stop new owners investing in their clubs, and as such is clearly anti-competetive.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:50 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:The Hull situation shows how fucking wrong the system is. Hull invest to get promoted, and the following season or two will make that investment back in spades through premier league tv money, yet they are penalised for having the temerity to do well in a domestic competition the year after they are promoted.

Hull invested in their business, and like any investment, the return comes in the years following that investment. FFP completely undermines sound business strategy.

That absolutely fucking stinks, and is NOT what FFP was supposed to be about. I can understand them going for us, but this is pathetic. This absolutely proves beyond doubt that all the rules are there to do, as we have said all along, is to stop new owners investing in their clubs, and as such is clearly anti-competetive.

Sorry to say, and as you know, that is exactly what FFP is about, stopping the upstart in its tracks, not allowing for them to dream. The PL FFP on top made it near impossible for those dreams to be realised.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:09 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:The Hull situation shows how fucking wrong the system is. Hull invest to get promoted, and the following season or two will make that investment back in spades through premier league tv money, yet they are penalised for having the temerity to do well in a domestic competition the year after they are promoted.

Sorry to say, and as you know, that is exactly what FFP is about, stopping the upstart in its tracks, not allowing for them to dream. The PL FFP on top made it near impossible for those dreams to be realised.

The crazy thing is, if you get relegated from the premier league, and have a specific strategy to run a deficit for 2 seasons to try and get promoted, and you happen to qualify for Europe through a cup competition, you get fucking nailed for it.

I can understand them going after us, but the realities of the likes of hull getting caught up in this should now really be hitting home for clubs and the penny should be dropping with journalists who keep ignoring the clear issue with the legislation.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:25 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

The crazy thing is, if you get relegated from the premier league, and have a specific strategy to run a deficit for 2 seasons to try and get promoted, and you happen to qualify for Europe through a cup competition, you get fucking nailed for it.

I can understand them going after us, but the realities of the likes of hull getting caught up in this should now really be hitting home for clubs and the penny should be dropping with journalists who keep ignoring the clear issue with the legislation.

Horrible isn't it and what the main aim was for. It was picked up when the smaller CL/EL clubs were sanctioned a few years back but nobody cared as they were part of the ECA but not part of the real movers and shakers.

We (and others) were at the forefront of their plans but they had to ensure nobody followed our trail.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:36 am

Laughable. Why dont they just make Hull pay for the shitty stadium development at anfield?..that seems 'fair'.
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby Dameerto » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:57 am

I hope we get our slice of these fines, since they couldn't wait to distribute our millions to everyone else in the competition.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:40 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

Look at this season's FA cup. There's a good chance a smaller PL team or even a lower league team could get to the final. If they then lose to Arsenal, they're in Europe for a game or two next season. They'll probably make a few hundred grand from that adventure. And then get fined something similar for not making the sort of turnover of Madrid.

So not only have they smashed the dreams of every fan to see their club win the lottery and then the league, they're now even putting them at risk of a reasonable cup run. Hull should have told them to suck it and accepted a ban instead.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:31 pm

I wonder that, should this court case go in favour of the Fat Frenchman and his crooked cronies, they'll then feel even more determined to cut City to pieces by further, nefarious terms and conditions which they could introduce on a mere whim, at any time ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Slim » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:35 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:I wonder that, should this court case go in favour of the Fat Frenchman and his crooked cronies, they'll then feel even more determined to cut City to pieces by further, nefarious terms and conditions which they could introduce on a mere whim, at any time ??

With the change to contracts I think they're doing it anyway.

However, I don't think Dupont can possibly lose this case.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Original Dub » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:47 am

Slim wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:I wonder that, should this court case go in favour of the Fat Frenchman and his crooked cronies, they'll then feel even more determined to cut City to pieces by further, nefarious terms and conditions which they could introduce on a mere whim, at any time ??

With the change to contracts I think they're doing it anyway.

However, I don't think Dupont can possibly lose this case.

I hope you're right.

The alternative scares the crap out of me
Original Dub

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum