UEFA Seeding Structure/Away Goal Rule

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

UEFA Seeding Structure/Away Goal Rule

Postby PrezIke » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:50 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... e-seedings

With regards to seeding, currently the European governing body ranks clubs over five years of competition results, leaving champions such as Manchester City, Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain among the No2 seeded teams and leading to criticism that the draws are repeating themselves.

One option for Uefa would be to guarantee a top seeding to winners of the highest-profile leagues. though Ferguson reacted coolly to the idea.

The Scot, a two-times Champions League winner with Manchester United, said of the group draws: “I don’t necessarily think the seeding plays a great part.” He added: “You take what you get and your performance is the most important thing.”

“From a personal point of view, when I was playing at home, I used to say to myself, don’t lose a goal,” he added.

of course he "reacted coolly to the idea" as united are stuck in as a top seed due to their past performances. what a ponce.

objective my arse...

the change would be more than welcome from the point of view of rewarding current performance not legacy performance of a club...aka protectionism.

not sure what they would do without the away goal rule then. play extra time and penalties?
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Re: UEFA Seeding Structure/Away Goal Rule

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:58 pm

Yeah, it's all about the performance, not the team you're playing that are decided by those seedings. Couldn't even get out of a shit group not long ago you doddering old cunt!

Of course the draw has an influence, not only on the CL but on the league as well. Getting easy draws allows a team to rest players so makes the other games a hell of a lot easier.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby sandman » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:44 pm

What would anybody really expect him to say;

Baconface wrote:"Of course the seeding is unfair, I admit that everything I have ever achieved in the Champions League has been largely down to being gifted a buy through to the knockouts against joke teams and then we were given a group runner-up for good measure"
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby SkyBlueSteve » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:10 pm

I am in favour of a more fair seeding system based on recent performance of a club, however getting an easy group doesnt guarantee anything. It can create a possibility of more difficult knock out games after easy groups and if we want to win this competition we will at some point come up against the bigger teams. We shouldnt be scared of anyone, and the experiance of playing teams like Bayern Munich and Barcelona are what makes the Champions League so special. We have come from games in division two to big European nights which is only a good thing. I just hope we perform as well as we can and show the rest of Europe that Man City is a draw they dont want not the other way around
SkyBlueSteve
Danny Mills' Wages

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:12 pm

It's a disadvantage to Munich etc as there are usually 3 Prem league teams in the top pot, which means there are 3 City can't play.

But it's pretty clear that the Prem clubs are one of the biggest driving forces in that competition. They pretend they are just there like guests of Bayern, Barca & Real Madrid, but it's a Keyser Söze job imo; the Prem clubs are one of the main reasons we have ffp & they are the main beneficiaries of the seeding system.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:41 pm

I wonder whether City fans have the same desire for the competition as Arse, filth etc. and does that prevent us creating a big atmosphere in the way that pundits talk of big Euro nights at The Swamp, Anfield or Celtic? Will we ever really embrace it? I love the away trips, but still struggle to get enthused by the home games.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby gillie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:53 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I wonder whether City fans have the same desire for the competition as Arse, filth etc. and does that prevent us creating a big atmosphere in the way that pundits talk of big Euro nights at The Swamp, Anfield or Celtic? Will we ever really embrace it? I love the away trips, but still struggle to get enthused by the home games.

Roger when you consider the G14 mob are trying every dirty trick in the book to stop us winning the CL is it any wonder the fans don't embrace it with open arms.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:58 pm

Fair point. Sadly to have success domestically it is a necessary evil. It doesn't captivate me in the slightest, it never did before and our involvement hasn't really changed that. It feels so contrived and heavily weighted towards certain clubs. European Champions sounds so grand, when in reality there are few teams with even the remotest chance of winning it.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Us

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:03 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:Fair point. Sadly to have success domestically it is a necessary evil. It doesn't captivate me in the slightest, it never did before and our involvement hasn't really changed that. It feels so contrived and heavily weighted towards certain clubs. European Champions sounds so grand, when in reality there are few teams with even the remotest chance of winning it.

I gotta agree, I never had any interest in the champions league, it was like an alien competition to me. Whenever there was a massive game whether it involved a British team or not, I just couldn't feel the emotion, games like united vs juve in 99, even united vs Barca in 09, just had no romance to me at all, but forget us for a moment, the 679m plastic cunts from Asia to South America tuned in, and that's all uefa give a fuck about

We can either roll with it (which clearly we are) or roll against it, which would kill the club in the current financial climate.

I went to Barca last year, and just wondered after the game why I'd fucking bothered, it was so sanitised, the atmosphere was strangled out of the city end, the game was shit, not to mention borderline bent............I just don't think I can do Moscow or Roma after that...but I know I will, cos goin Europe away is the only excitement left to a football fan like city's..,..after 10-15 years of the same shit though, who will still be going?

Not me
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Socrates » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:27 am

If they wanted to be really radical they should have just eight seeds based on recent form and the rest by luck of the draw...

I'd suggest the seeds be the champions of the seven nations with the highest country co-efficients plus the most recent Champions League winners not to be among those seven, irregardless of country. The rest go in the hat to be drawn at random other than they cannot play against a team from the same association, as now.

On away goals, I agree they are too important at present but are still better than penalties so why not do the League Cup rule where they only count after extra time?
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby zuricity » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:53 am

One bag, 32 teams , you get what you get. each of the eight groups take a ball as it is drawn 1 to 8 × 4.

To be honest it wouldn't bother me all 4 PL teams being drawn together.

We'd be able to ged rid of that A *se Wenger by the first group phase.Furthermore it is always nicer to travel abroad to meaningful games in the Spring.

End of the BS from Uefa. one bag and have done with it.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby nottsblue » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:09 am

zuricity wrote:One bag, 32 teams , you get what you get. each of the eight groups take a ball as it is drawn 1 to 8 × 4.

We'd be able to ged rid of that A *se Wenger by the first group phase.Furthermore it is always nicer to travel abroad to meaningful games in the Spring.

+1

In regard to away goals. The only viable alternative is penalties.
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:38 am

zuricity wrote:One bag, 32 teams , you get what you get. each of the eight groups take a ball as it is drawn 1 to 8 × 4.

Absolutely.

Don't think it will ever happen though, until EUFA is either abolished or replaced, or whatever.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:53 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

Absolutely.

Don't think it will ever happen though, until EUFA is either abolished or replaced, or whatever.

nice idea but we all know the corrupt cunts would have hot balls, cold balls, nobly balls, smooth balls etc....
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby zuricity » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:20 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

Absolutely.

nice idea but we all know the corrupt cunts would have hot balls, cold balls, nobly balls, smooth balls etc....

Place 32 balls in a lotto type machine, All automatic, leave them there for a few hours . Simple . Where's the problem ?
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:52 pm

zuricity wrote:Place 32 balls in a lotto type machine, All automatic, leave them there for a few hours . Simple . Where's the problem ?

It is far too honest.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:52 pm

The format doesn't come from UEFA, it comes from the same cartel that asked for FFP. They threatened a breakaway league, so UEFA gave them the Champions League & the seeding system designed to keep those clubs on the gravy train year after year, ahead of the others in their repective leagues.

UEFA happy to go along with it, but now, Barca, Real, Bayern get City every year, now Liverpool are involved & they could end up getting the rags in the 2nd pot too. Whilst Chelsea Arse can only draw Dortmund & Atleti.

If if gets changed, that will be why.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Cit.revenge » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:34 am

I don't wanna to start new topic but i m very confused about this fool Platini . If u read Ribery wanna to retire from National Football and this is statement from i m insane Frenchman Platini
"I have zero tolerance for it. So players do not decide whether there will be on the team , menager do (!?), "Said Platini Bild.

So much is forgiven players, including captain of world champion Germany Philipp Lahm is retire . However, Platini was not give in ...

"If there is a dispute between Lahm and Lowa that is different.. But then it is not a decision of Lahm but Löw. With Ribery is different. Franck Ribery can not simply decide whether to play for France or not. If you Didier Deschamps call him, he has come! "

"It is defined by Fifa's statute. If not, he will be suspended for three matches for Bayern! And it does not understand: hes Frenchman, and Euro 2016 will be played in France," finished Platini pressure on the main ingredients star .
Now is this fucking insane or what ?!
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
Cit.revenge
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:56 am

If that's what Platini has said, that a player has no choice but to play international football, even if he retires from it, then it brings home how easy it must have been for people to con him into FFP without seeing the possible outcome.

Imagine a challenge in court, if they suspend a player who has retired from international football ? What about the reaction of players ? You could end up with a strike.

Forced to go & perform tasks which he is not contracted to, against his will, under threat of punishment. It's not war time ffs. Is that not slavery anyhow ?

Why the fuck would anyone advocate forcing a player to play ? It just shows what jumped up, power crazed cunts UEFA/FIFA are, that they think they can do shit like that to people.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:40 am

Interesting to think that an association can force somebody to play against their will.

The problems with the likes of Platini, and Blatter alike, is that they believe they are above the system and put rules in-place to ensure they have control. In this case there's only one winner and that is the player, just like in many other cases.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum