our next soccerball game : stoke city at the etihad

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: next : stoke city (home)

Postby MilnersJaw » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:40 am

lovecity8utd wrote:Rumour it's a 3pm kick off on a Saturday. Must be bullshit.

gotta make way for the 7th place finalists TV coverage.
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silver

Postby ruralblue » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:42 am

Can I just ask?

It says Stoke City (home )

Who's home is this being played in? Sauls house causes far too much confusion and all is no unclear!
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby A25 Cloud » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:09 am

I'd go with this team.

Hart
Sagna Kompany Demichelis Kolarov
Fernandinho Fernando
Navas Jovetic Silva
Aguero

Nasri, Milner, or Yaya on in the second half depending on circumstances.
A25 Cloud
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Postby Slim » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:28 am

ruralblue wrote:Can I just ask?

It says Stoke City (home )

Who's home is this being played in? Sauls house causes far too much confusion and all is no unclear!

He'll be asking what timezone it's in next.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby blues2win » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:42 pm

Sergio left in pain on the floor in training after a Kolarov tackle. Looks like a knock only. Fingers crossed.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Re: our next soccerball game : stoke city at the etihad

Postby Saul Goodman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:06 pm

Calling it soccer as an insult to North America isnt an insult against this country. If you intended it as an insult then youre insulting England as theyre the ones that invented the word soccer and first used it to describe the sport.

Way back both rugby and football were called football. Then, in order to make things easier, they called them rugby football and association football. Assosciation football was later shortened to soccer while rugby football was shortened to rugger. The US then picked up on that as thats what you guys were calling the sport.
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:19 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:Calling it soccer as an insult to North America isnt an insult against this country. If you intended it as an insult then youre insulting England as theyre the ones that invented the word soccer and first used it to describe the sport.

Way back both rugby and football were called football. Then, in order to make things easier, they called them rugby football and association football. Assosciation football was later shortened to soccer while rugby football was shortened to rugger. The US then picked up on that as thats what you guys were calling the sport.

Why did they call that sport where they all leg it about in loads of padding, then chuck the ball at each other, then stop for an advert break, then take loads of drugs, kick the shit out of their wives 'football' then ?

Edit: sorry I've just realised I could be confusing Australians here: Why did they call it 'American football' ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Saul Goodman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:39 pm

Well you can partially thank the motherland for that one too.

"Foot ball" used to mean "games played on foot" in medieval England.
Then, in the early days of American football the forward pass wasnt legal so teams kicked/punted more than they do now. So feet were used alot more back then. Plus, when "american football" was in its infancy there weren't standardized rules and every college played it dfferently. Eventually they mimicked Australian rugby which is why the two are sorta similar now

In a nut shell
Saul Goodman

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:45 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:Well you can partially thank the motherland for that one too.

Then, in the early days of American football the forward pass wasnt legal so teams kicked/punted more than they do now. So feet were used alot more back then. Plus, when "american football" was in its infancy there weren't standardized rules and every college played it dfferently. Eventually they mimicked Australian rugby which is why the two are sorta similar now

In a nut shell

Ah, so in the 19th century, they were learning to copy stuff from medieval England.

That seems a reasonable explanation.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby clippo22 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:11 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:Well you can partially thank the motherland for that one too.

In a nut shell

Ah, so in the 19th century, they were learning to copy stuff from medieval England.

When Tony Pulis was in charge many believed that Stoke played 'medieval' football involving many long balls.

That's what we're talking about here right?
clippo22
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: City!!!
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:13 pm

clippo22 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

In a nut shell

When Tony Pulis was in charge many believed that Stoke played 'medieval' football involving many long balls.

That's what we're talking about here right?

If you're talking about Stoke, it's not just football.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby sheblue » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:21 pm

What the fook is soccerball? FFS.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:36 pm

sheblue wrote:What the fook is soccerball? FFS.

A version of football where you can only pass sideways and backwards. Tom Cleverly and Javi Garcia are the two best in the world.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Saul Goodman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:38 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

In a nut shell

No. Thats not what i said.
The definition of the word is what was referenced regarding medieval England
Saul Goodman

Postby Slim » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:02 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:Calling it soccer as an insult to North America isnt an insult against this country. If you intended it as an insult then youre insulting England as theyre the ones that invented the word soccer and first used it to describe the sport.

Wow, do your facts come in factual form?

Look up Cambridge Rules 1863, read.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:12 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:
sheblue wrote:What the fook is soccerball? FFS.

A version of football where you can only pass sideways and backwards. Tom Cleverly and Javi Garcia are the two best in the world.

They must surely have a statue of Ray Wilkins outside soccerball hq.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:07 pm

In a nut shell

In a nut shell Nige you've done a piss poor job of insulting the yanks. Try again ;)
Bianchi on Ice

My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby Slim » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:15 pm

Bianchi on Ice wrote:

In a nut shell

In a nut shell Nige you've done a piss poor job of insulting the yanks. Try again ;)

Except nothing he is saying it actually true.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:24 pm

moonball. denied!
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:25 pm

Slim wrote:
Bianchi on Ice wrote:

In a nut shell

Except nothing he is saying it actually true.

Quite right. Nothing he is saying is actually true, and he is being quite calm and rational about it, but I've had a shit day and its not good enough. I want fireworks
Bianchi on Ice

My favourite player is: warren beatty

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum