EDS on Sky Sports 5

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: EDS on Sky Sports 5

Postby blues2win » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:24 am

Thanks Doug. Maybe as Ted suggests Angelino may ultimately play further forward but he looks a very good player indeed. Maffeo is it looks a really good player too. The goalie played well too.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Re: EDS on Sky Sports 5

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:38 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Blueboylewis wrote:I played against shay facey back in high school for our school teams! Really good player, always knew he would get a chance! What did he get sent off for if anyone knows?

He got sent off because Chelsea dive & City stay on their feet. His first booking was a fucking joke. The second was a foul & probably worth a booking, but a few minutes earlier, Devante Cole ran through, Chelsea defender tried to bodycheck him, advantage played, then he gets into the box, Chelsea defender flies in & catches him, nowhere near the ball, stays on his feet, no pen, no card for the other Chelsea defender.

Throughout the game City players were pushed under the ball, tripped etc etc, all they di was wave their arms at the ref, got fuck all, the other way around, Chelseaplayer hits the deck like he's been shot, every challenge, every fucking time; free kick.

If you don't cheat, in a game v this kind of team, you don't win; even at this level.

On another note: I don't get Horsefield. He's local, is that it ?

Following on from the Senior Cup game v the scum where the difference was all about them being older/more physical and fouling.I was incensed by the Cole one where maybe the Chelsea players did just enough for the reef to give nothing but plenty to stop Cole scoring.

Facey was a little naive to commit the 2nd booking knowing he already had a yellow irrespective of the fact that the first one was a joke.I thought the ref got sucked into bookings even though I am not so sure he knew exactly what had happened.The 2nd one probably was a booking as Shay had allowed the guy to get the run on him and he just held him back.

As for Horsfield that's 2 games in a row now where he has come on and been invisible.He just lacks the quality we need but will get serious game time because so many of the best EDS players are going out on loan.Still though I think we have better players coming through who should get the game time.

Good to see Gunn play well last night but I really do like the look of Maffeo.Not sure he's a centre half but I guess Patrick is giving him the experience of playing there. Strange though as Bossaerts is more of a centre half and Maffeo a full back.That's if Boss is anything at all because he hasn't looked impressive wherever he has played for me. Angelino is looking ok considering his age but has to get better at the defensive part of his game.

Wasn't there talk of Cole going on loan to the SPL? Maybe that's just what he needs but he is definitely getting better and better.His final ball/shot still needs plenty of work but the threat he poses is there for all to see.

Gunn did well after a crappy (imo) game v rags. Bossaerts is built like a cb, & the fact that he can't play there & we have two smaller converted fullbacks playing there instead, tells us all we need to know I think. He, plus Horsefield & Bytqi are below the level of the rest I recon. Glendon is a nice player but whenever I've seen Byrne, well he looks like a Barca player in that job to me. Class, but of course young. Perhaps try both together & see what happens ?

I think we really have to do something with both Cole & Fofana. They are too good for this level imo & are more likely to learn bad habits than good on the whole through playing there. If they stay at City, we need to get them involved with the first team straight away imo, so they learn from those players rather than picking the wrong ball, making the wrong decision.

I thought some of Maffeo's 1v1 defending in that game was as good as anything I've ever seen. Not positionally tight, & I don't see how he can ever be a cb anyway, but if he doesn't end up playing fullback in the future, he could make one hell of a defensive mid with ball winning skills like that! Joey Barton for instance could not & cannot win a ball with that kind of skill & he played Premier League football. Maffeo has taken to that level immediately whilst Angelino is only playing at about 50% & struggling (but never stopping trying) to come to terms with it. But I think Angelino is an attacking player & we are not getting the fullbacks forward due to not having a proper 'team'.

Looking at the first two games, I think we are really up against it as a team this season due to not having balance, & a lot of the teams we play may be full of experienced players in key positions & physically superior. But in both games, when we have stuck to our principles, we have outclassed them. At the start yesterday, we played exactly like Barca, & Chelsea were nowhere. V rags we played like a slow Barca & they didn't get a kick. In both games, we lost that style got overpowered, but it proves that if Vieira & Co can get the kids to play that way, it works, even against older, bigger, stronger players. In the old days, we would just find a few big powerful lads to stiffen up the team , knock the ball over the top for Cole (like rags did v us) & win games. But I fully expect this team will keep trying to play, until they get it, even if they are relegated. Good.

This next season, both the EDS & the U18s are going to be at a big disadvantage in age, size, experience etc compared to many of their opponents but it will be fascinating to see if PV , Wilcox & the coaches can get them to overcome that by playing football. If they do, it will be some achievement.

Whatever happens, some of these lads have definitely got a chance as individuals, & we have several generations coming behind, some of whom are better.

All good.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum