"Last Year's Champions Manchester City"

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: "Last Year's Champions Manchester City"

Postby nottsblue » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:09 pm

ruralblue wrote:In fact the opening credits of motd always have the winning team lifting the trophy to open the show. This year it will probably show Gerrard rallying the troops instead!

Suarez boo-hooing it after the Palace game, then cutting to Yaya waltzing through Villa to score our 100th would be nice
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby MUS » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:36 pm

Tesl wrote:I think some of us are getting a little over sensitive here ....

Are we suggesting everyone in the media has gotten together and decided "Lets only say last years champions, and not current champions, that'll show em!"

Of all things to get annoyed about this is about the stupidest one I've seen yet.

Got* :)
CENTURIONS
MUS
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby phips » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:52 pm

we are last year's champions. "last year" refers to last season. "champions" means we finished top. when did we finish top? last season.
thus, we are last year's champions. we--nor anyone else--can be this year's champions at this point, or any point up until the end of the season in May.

there's nothing wrong with the statement. don't be so sensitive.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:06 am

phips wrote:we are last year's champions. "last year" refers to last season. "champions" means we finished top. when did we finish top? last season.
thus, we are last year's champions. we--nor anyone else--can be this year's champions at this point, or any point up until the end of the season in May.

Bollocks.

we are THE Champions & the City colours are attached to the Premier League trophy until such time as someone takes it from us, or we win it again at the end of this season.

That is how Utd & everyone else have always been referred to & tbf, that is how we were referred to for the most part on Sky.

We are not last year's champions, the season finished in fucking May for a start. We are THE CHAMPIONS. IT IS OUR RIGHT TO BE RESPECTED AS SUCH.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby twosips » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:23 am

MOTD2 referred to us as the champions and to be honest, most have. I've not really heard this 'last year's champions' thing at all.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby john68 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:23 am

phips wrote:we are last year's champions. "last year" refers to last season. "champions" means we finished top. when did we finish top? last season.

Following your logic,the moment the final whistle went, we were champions but the moment the final whistle went, the season being over at that point, meant we weren't.

So how come we bothered having a parade?
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby twosips » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:23 am

john68 wrote:

Following your logic,the moment the final whistle went, we were champions but the moment the final whistle went, the season being over at that point, meant we weren't.

Excellent.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:12 am

john68 wrote:

i dunno if Phips watched the match today, but the US commentary team from NBC referred to us as "the reigning champions" and "the champions" about half a dozen times. I'm not too worried about it. And they certainly weren't showing a City bias in stating it that way, because they were mostly cunt-ish at times. David Pleat is fucking a special blend of horrible.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby ruralblue » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:51 am

Ted Hughes wrote:

Bollocks.

we are THE Champions & the City colours are attached to the Premier League trophy until such time as someone takes it from us, or we win it again at the end of this season.

That is how Utd & everyone else have always been referred to & tbf, that is how we were referred to for the most part on Sky.

We are not last year's champions, the season finished in fucking May for a start. We are THE CHAMPIONS. IT IS OUR RIGHT TO BE RESPECTED AS SUCH.

What Ted said!. Well just the bollox bit!
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby Wooders » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:05 am

I sort of see phips' point, the slate is currently clean, and we have to now earn the trophy, same as any other team, despite last seasons achievement
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby zuricity » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:14 am

This year is 2014

Last year was 2013.

Last year does not refer to the last season.

The season that ended in may 2013 was won by non other than the Rags. You may also reflect on the fact that their defense of their PL titles was the worst on record.

They are last years champions.

This year City won the League and therefore can be described as the Champions in 2014. Or the current Champions.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Wooders » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:17 am

All this is well and good but the "campeones" chants during the first game of the new season make me cringe to be honest
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:11 am

twosips wrote:MOTD2 referred to us as the champions and to be honest, most have. I've not really heard this 'last year's champions' thing at all.

I've not heard anyone say it.
But they're aren't enough threads about media bias on here, let's get some more on.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:23 am

Sky yesterday introuduced it something along the lines of, next up 'last year's champions Manchester City..' .They didn't continue with that theme, probably because some irate fucker phoned them up or possibly even Souness or Quinn put them straight, as tbf, most footballers have more respect for stuff like that.

But 'last year's champions' isn't something you say by accident, you have to actually go out of your way to say it rather than just; 'champions'.

The whole fucking theme of this pre season has been about airbrushing City out of the picture; Chelsea this, Arsenal that, Louis Van Gneck reviving the rags, the usual Liverpool bullshit, let's get rid of last season & start afresh as it didn't go to plan. Well they can fuck off.

And I thought it was brilliant when the fans started singing it after we scored, just to remind all these cunts in the media etc who have intentionally tried to forget who the champions actually are.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:47 am

Ted Hughes wrote:Sky yesterday introuduced it something along the lines of, next up 'last year's champions Manchester City..' .They didn't continue with that theme, probably because some irate fucker phoned them up or possibly even Souness or Quinn put them straight, as tbf, most footballers have more respect for stuff like that.

But 'last year's champions' isn't something you say by accident, you have to actually go out of your way to say it rather than just; 'champions'.

The whole fucking theme of this pre season has been about airbrushing City out of the picture; Chelsea this, Arsenal that, Louis Van Gneck reviving the rags, the usual Liverpool bullshit, let's get rid of last season & start afresh as it didn't go to plan. Well they can fuck off.

And I thought it was brilliant when the fans started singing it after we scored, just to remind all these cunts in the media etc who have intentionally tried to forget who the champions actually are.

we didn't win it though
liverpool lost it
or at least that's the conclusion i have drawn from recent media coverage
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:51 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Sky yesterday introuduced it something along the lines of, next up 'last year's champions Manchester City..' .They didn't continue with that theme, probably because some irate fucker phoned them up or possibly even Souness or Quinn put them straight, as tbf, most footballers have more respect for stuff like that.

we didn't win it though
liverpool lost it
or at least that's the conclusion i have drawn from recent media coverage

It's not just Liverpool. How many times has it been mentioned already this season, that Arsenal were top of the league for ages ? Then they bring up how Chelsea beat all the top sides. Then of course the Liverpool bullshit. Then they mention how all have strengthened.

Souness yesterday mentioned it from a different angle; that City have the mentality that they could come through & win it, they had done it before, & they look the same now.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:03 am

But they're aren't enough threads about media bias on here, let's get some more on.

One general media bias thread should really do it. Of course media bias can be discussed when ever it's relevant but one thread into which most of these posts could be concentrated would be great. One Rag-thread would also do just fine by me.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:26 am

Cocacolajojo wrote:

One general media bias thread should really do it. Of course media bias can be discussed when ever it's relevant but one thread into which most of these posts could be concentrated would be great. One Rag-thread would also do just fine by me.

And me.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:29 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Cocacolajojo wrote:

And me.

I thought we had one ?

I can start another if you insist.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby MUS » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:31 am

MOTD2 started yesterday with "We go again", and showed the liverpool match first.

It's actually quite funny how unashamedly biased it all is
CENTURIONS
MUS
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum