Kompany signs until 2019

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Kompany signs until 2019

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:43 am

ant london wrote:
twosips wrote:To be honest, and i've touched on it before in other threads, i see the reason kids don't move abroad as something that's linked to a bigger cultural problem. English arrogance mainly. We speak the world's most popular language, we're highly influential in all areas of culture and have huge sporting relevance, including the biggest football league in the world. We're not quite on the same level as the yanks, but we definitely have a huge sense of entitlement as a country.

The vast majority are lazy and don't want to learn other cultures whereas its the norm for kids in non-english speaking countries to look elsewhere for opportunities and head over here etc.. i don't think it'll ever change in football to be honest. Not drastically anyway.. We've always just presumed everything will come to us, as opposed to have to go looking for it and as a result there's very little motivation. It's all not helped either by the fact that most, even kids in the reserves, still probably clear more in a year than my parents do combined despite being about 17. It's an easy and comfy lifestyle.

I have to say mate, I agree with your first paragraph but I do not really think you are seeing the full picture on the second although you do make some good points.

I've lived and worked now long term in three different non-English speaking countries and have spent extended periods working in maybe 4-5 more. I first lived overseas for 12 months when I was 19 and, I have to say, it wasn't easy at all in some respects. I can speak languages (and could speak French very well when i first moved to Paris) and am not some kind of cultural ignoramus but even with all of that, at that age, it was pretty tough at times living so far away from family and friends and familiar things. I wasn't under the kind of "make of break your career and life" pressure that some of these kids would be under...ie. when they would need a support network more than ever nor was I likely to get the kind of temptations dangled in front of me which they would.

I see the fact that so few English kids go overseas to play as a function of some of the things you say - ie. taking the easier route but also likely that their families are often against the idea due to the risks it entails. Yes, kids from less developed countries have been doing this for years but they had no choice. It was either play on dirt pitches and not monetise your talents or you up sticks and go for your dream.

As more kids realise that an "apprenticeship" in the lower UK leagues doesn't achieve results and that a move overseas does work then that may likely change.

From a non-football perspective (and linking to an extent to the unemployment thread on off topic) I think people in the UK may ultimately have to become more mobile to work in the roles at the levels they want to in the future.

once you cunts couldn't colonize you shut up shop. FACT.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:39 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
ant london wrote:
twosips wrote:To be honest, and i've touched on it before in other threads, i see the reason kids don't move abroad as something that's linked to a bigger cultural problem. English arrogance mainly. We speak the world's most popular language, we're highly influential in all areas of culture and have huge sporting relevance, including the biggest football league in the world. We're not quite on the same level as the yanks, but we definitely have a huge sense of entitlement as a country.

The vast majority are lazy and don't want to learn other cultures whereas its the norm for kids in non-english speaking countries to look elsewhere for opportunities and head over here etc.. i don't think it'll ever change in football to be honest. Not drastically anyway.. We've always just presumed everything will come to us, as opposed to have to go looking for it and as a result there's very little motivation. It's all not helped either by the fact that most, even kids in the reserves, still probably clear more in a year than my parents do combined despite being about 17. It's an easy and comfy lifestyle.

I have to say mate, I agree with your first paragraph but I do not really think you are seeing the full picture on the second although you do make some good points.

I've lived and worked now long term in three different non-English speaking countries and have spent extended periods working in maybe 4-5 more. I first lived overseas for 12 months when I was 19 and, I have to say, it wasn't easy at all in some respects. I can speak languages (and could speak French very well when i first moved to Paris) and am not some kind of cultural ignoramus but even with all of that, at that age, it was pretty tough at times living so far away from family and friends and familiar things. I wasn't under the kind of "make of break your career and life" pressure that some of these kids would be under...ie. when they would need a support network more than ever nor was I likely to get the kind of temptations dangled in front of me which they would.

I see the fact that so few English kids go overseas to play as a function of some of the things you say - ie. taking the easier route but also likely that their families are often against the idea due to the risks it entails. Yes, kids from less developed countries have been doing this for years but they had no choice. It was either play on dirt pitches and not monetise your talents or you up sticks and go for your dream.

As more kids realise that an "apprenticeship" in the lower UK leagues doesn't achieve results and that a move overseas does work then that may likely change.

From a non-football perspective (and linking to an extent to the unemployment thread on off topic) I think people in the UK may ultimately have to become more mobile to work in the roles at the levels they want to in the future.

once you cunts couldn't colonize you shut up shop. FACT.

cheers

It's my recurring nightmare and end of the world scenario that the Yanks, having become 'fed-up' with being Yanks, tear up the Declaration of Independence and revert to being a British colony, requiring us then to sort out all their problems.

That would be more than too much to take.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:44 am

ant london wrote:

I see where you're coming from, but look at our recent loans: Guidetti is Swedish & went to Holland, Ruznak is Slovakian & also went to Holland, Vlad Weiss, Scotland & Spain, now Denayer is off to Glasgow.

I just assumed that it was the case of English players not getting the offers, but from what Kompany is suggesting, they do get the offers but it's just the 'foreign' kids who are willing to take them, ours prefer Oldham Athletic or Burnley.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby dazby » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:21 pm

That is a great point.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Saul Goodman » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:07 pm

ruralblue wrote:Just come through now on the city app (it's great if you haven't got it!, it's like the o.s. on crack! !).

Brilliant news. These are happy folks here for the long term!

What is the app titled? "Cityapp"? With only a 2 star rating?
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:17 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:
ruralblue wrote:Just come through now on the city app (it's great if you haven't got it!, it's like the o.s. on crack! !).

App was probably reviewed by those who are still dissatisfied with Pellegrini. It works fine.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:41 pm

THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby ruralblue » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:44 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:

City app - Manchester City fc

It's the official app. Basically a version of the OS. Gets 4 1/2 stars on Google play.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum