Denayer to Celtic

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Denayer to Celtic

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:39 am

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/EDS-news/201 ... ic-on-loan

City EDS starlet Jason Denayer has joined Celtic on a season-long loan.

The 19-year-old, who featured for Manuel Pellegrini's first-team in the pre-season tour of Scotland, will be available for selection ahead of the Hoops' Champions League qualifier against Slovenian side Maribor.

The Belgian defender enjoyed an impressive 2013/14 campaign and as reward for his efforts, received a nomination for the EDS Player of the Year award.

Reflecting on the news, EDS manager Patrick Vieira told mcfc.co.uk he feels the decision will be hugely beneficial to the youngster.

"I really think Jason to Celtic is a good loan move," Vieira declared. "It's a great chance for him to go and get some experience.

"He's going to a team who will have a chance to play in the Champions League or Europa League so it is a really positive move."

IF, he gets himself into the team, this is fantastic. Perfect place to learn as it's tough & competitive, but not so high quality that it's impossible to get games.

He has no problem with football, that's easy for him; learning to fight off manic gingers etc in the heat of a high pressure battle is absolutely the kind of thing that will man him up for the Prem. And he could also find himself playing v quality euro opposition.

I just hope he can get in the team, not easy. It also has the bonus of making Scottish football occasionally worth watching.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Re: Denayer to Celtic

Postby Moonchesteri » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:42 am

If he sees lot of action this could be fantastic loan move imo. Hope he gets his chance and does well
What's Celtic's CB situation looking like?
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:55 am

Moonchesteri wrote:If he sees lot of action this could be fantastic loan move imo. Hope he gets his chance and does well
What's Celtic's CB situation looking like?

I know there was a Dutch geezer who was getting rave reviews & even being linked to City. Dunno who plays next to him. Probably an Eastern European we've never heard of or some ginger geezer with a beard & no pace.

Edit: they've got Ambrose(Nigerian) so Denayer will be backup unless they are about to sell the Dutch cb (Van Dijk).

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby twosips » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:00 am

Charlie Mulgrew is their captain who plays centre back and they have that dutch bloke who Ted mentioned too who is apparently very good. Bit surprised about this - not necessarily sure Denayer is guaranteed games tbh.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:01 am

twosips wrote:Charlie Mulgrew is their captain who plays centre back and they have that dutch bloke who Ted mentioned too who is apparently very good. Bit surprised about this - not necessarily sure Denayer is guaranteed games tbh.

Just edited above; it could be that Van Dijk is on the move.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:03 am

van dijk to southampton?
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:04 am

twosips wrote:Charlie Mulgrew is their captain who plays centre back and they have that dutch bloke who Ted mentioned too who is apparently very good. Bit surprised about this - not necessarily sure Denayer is guaranteed games tbh.

Mulgrew is the idiot who gave away the two pens against Legia Warsaw, maybe they are looking to offload him?
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby twosips » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:08 am

Wonderwall wrote:

Mulgrew is the idiot who gave away the two pens against Legia Warsaw, maybe they are looking to offload him?

Oh i know - he's probably terrible, but ya know. He's scottish and most likely captain brave and all that so the locals will probably like him. I don't see em dropping their captain for a kid.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:09 am

Wonderwall wrote:

And Celtic fans are slating Ambrose for two red cards in recent games.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby blues2win » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:53 pm

The Celtic Manager is really talking up Denayer. Claims he's already worth 10 million and will be worth a lot more in the future.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:06 pm

The way he's talking it really does seem like he's going to play Denayer. The lad himself seems supremely confident. If he can get off to a good start without any daft mistakes, this move could turn him into a first team squad player. My only question about him would be if he can handle the rough and tumble side of things & he will get the required practice there.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:06 pm

blues2win wrote:The Celtic Manager is really talking up Denayer. Claims he's already worth 10 million and will be worth a lot more in the future.

I've not seen him play but the reviews I've read about him suggested he might have been be kept and put into our current squads. Desperately hope it works out for him up there.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:17 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
blues2win wrote:The Celtic Manager is really talking up Denayer. Claims he's already worth 10 million and will be worth a lot more in the future.

I've not seen him play but the reviews I've read about him suggested he might have been be kept and put into our current squads. Desperately hope it works out for him up there.

Deffo not imo. Throwing him into the Premier League could have cost him & us. Not ready. This is perfect IF he can win his place. There are no guarantees with that as he has never faced anything of this level but it's not the Prem so it could be an ideal level for him to learn.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:24 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:

Deffo not imo. Throwing him into the Premier League could have cost him & us. Not ready. This is perfect IF he can win his place. There are no guarantees with that as he has never faced anything of this level but it's not the Prem so it could be an ideal level for him to learn.

Agree Ted it looks like a really good loan opportunity.Let's hope he plays and makes the most of it and I think he will do just that starting tonight.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby blues2win » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:35 pm

There will clearly be space for a centre back in the first team squad next season. Will MDM be given another year? Maybe maybe not. Is Dedryck really the answer as a fourth choice centre back? Not at all clear. Pellegrini apparently rates Rekik to a degree and we'll see if that judgement is justified post his renewed loan in the Eredivisie.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:09 pm

blues2win wrote:There will clearly be space for a centre back in the first team squad next season. Will MDM be given another year? Maybe maybe not. Is Dedryck really the answer as a fourth choice centre back? Not at all clear. Pellegrini apparently rates Rekik to a degree and we'll see if that judgement is justified post his renewed loan in the Eredivisie.

I am guessing MP will have seen enough of Rekik pre season to have the same opinion as the rest of us. Another loan year to see if he can change that is about right imo but I would not be surprised if we don't see him back at City again. I might be being a little harsh on him as I thought he was a real prospect but he simply doesn't seem to have kicked on at all through last season One more chance to do that I feel is right.

On the other question though I equally don't think Dedryk is our answer for the 4th centre back.Maybe 5th behind Sagna
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby blues2win » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:35 pm

I think Sagna should be used as CB ahead of Dedryck but Ted's got a point that Dedryck might play better alongside either Vinny or MDM. City's line with Nasty seems to be that they are content to keep hold of Nasty but are prepared to listen to offers because his playing time will be limited. I think he'll be off to be honest. Let's face it we've waited and we've seen.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:46 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
blues2win wrote:There will clearly be space for a centre back in the first team squad next season. Will MDM be given another year? Maybe maybe not. Is Dedryck really the answer as a fourth choice centre back? Not at all clear. Pellegrini apparently rates Rekik to a degree and we'll see if that judgement is justified post his renewed loan in the Eredivisie.

I am guessing MP will have seen enough of Rekik pre season to have the same opinion as the rest of us. Another loan year to see if he can change that is about right imo but I would not be surprised if we don't see him back at City again. I might be being a little harsh on him as I thought he was a real prospect but he simply doesn't seem to have kicked on at all through last season One more chance to do that I feel is right.

On the other question though I equally don't think Dedryk is our answer for the 4th centre back.Maybe 5th behind Sagna

I would rate Rekik behind Denayer by a distance, the only difference being that he has played a full season of proper football & Denayer hasn't. Next season I would be very disappointed if Denayer hasn't left Rekik well & truly behind in the race for the 4th cb spot.

Going back to PSV is a good move for him but I would have preferred him to go somewhere a bit more difficult to see if he can hack it at a higher level. But it should still be possible to guage whether he improves the weaknesses in his game over the next season. How he can compensate for his lack of pace & aerial power though, I don't know.

He's just too heavy imo. He was quicker & better in the air at 15.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john68 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:14 pm

I was at the Dundee game and was quite amazed atthe uality of Denayer's strength and physicality. He looked a real prospect but a bit raw. I think the SPL is a good level for him.

I think there is a distinct possibility of him overtaking MDM but next season.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:45 pm

john68 wrote:I was at the Dundee game and was quite amazed atthe uality of Denayer's strength and physicality. He looked a real prospect but a bit raw. I think the SPL is a good level for him.

I think there is a distinct possibility of him overtaking MDM but next season.

I think we have to take into account that he was playing v Dundee though & not the kind of power he would face in the Prem. But he does look like a proper athlete.

Slightly off topic, people suggesting Sagna as 4th cb; I've read that on here on numerous occasions & not really thought long about it tbh, as he's not really a cb build, but I recently read an interview by Sagna from 2013 (he'd just apparently played a stormer for Arsenal at cb), & he actually said that due to his age, he wasn't sure how long he could keep bombing up & down the flank & that he considered it possible he may become a cb.

Whether he's spoken to City about that I don't know. I bet I can find it.

Yes I can, here it is.

Bacary Sagna believes his future may lie in central defence.

One of Sagna's best performances in an Arsenal shirt came against Saturday's opponents Sunderland in a hard-fought 1-0 win at the Stadium of Light in February, when he filled in for the injured Laurent Koscielny.

The French defender has been a reliable back-up option in that role for Arsène Wenger and has drawn comparisons with former France international Lilian Thuram, who made an identical move from the right to the middle.
"[We make it work] because of our character, I think that we are fighters," Sagna told Arsenal Player. "Technically we are not better than anyone else but mentally we are strong and we know what we want and we always want to learn. Even at 30 I still have time to learn another position and I'm looking forward to it.

"Why not [play there in future]? I'm getting old and at right back you need to put in a lot more effort. I don't know how long I can do that to my maximum so maybe one day I will be able to play centre back.

Probably not the best thread for it, but seeing as we're talking cbs I thought I'd chuck it in here.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum