Is the Fans Appetite Dwindling?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Is the Fans Appetite Dwindling?

Postby lovecity8utd » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:32 pm

"If bayern can offer season tickets for 150 quid, there's no reason we can't."

There is a reason and it's called FFP. I'm sure tickets would be much more affordable if it wasnt for this.
lovecity8utd
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: City's 11

Postby Dameerto » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:40 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:Reading this thread is quite depressing. More and more blues are being priced out of seeing the team they love. If bayern can offer season tickets for 150 quid, there's no reason we can't.

Other than the fact their ground is considerably bigger than ours, you mean (even our proposed expansion sized capacity).
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:50 pm

Dameerto wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:Reading this thread is quite depressing. More and more blues are being priced out of seeing the team they love. If bayern can offer season tickets for 150 quid, there's no reason we can't.

Other than the fact their ground is considerably bigger than ours, you mean (even our proposed expansion sized capacity).

So when we go to 70k will we offer such cheap season tickets? Unfortunately I think not.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Mark Garrett » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:52 pm

I don't think fans appetite is dwindling as such but the price is an issue for some, complacency that fans think we will win may also be creeping in.

As for the Community Shield, I am not interested in going - we have had 3 and I have not gone to one and wouldn't bother wherever it is held. It is a glorified pre-season friendly, nothing more nothing less. The fact it is in London makes it even more laughable - £40 for a ticket, £75 for a train return, plus beer money and a bit of grub and it is close to £150 for the day for a pre-season friendly....

At the Etihad, the fans have to do more in terms of creating an atmosphere but that is the same for all of the top 6-7 clubs when the games are against anyone other than the top sides or a derby game so it isn't a problem unique to City. It is the same at Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Spurs, United, Chelsea and City.

I cannot wait for the new season, and the atmosphere will be bouncing for Liverpool game a week on Monday and it will be sold out yes.
MANCINI Record at City

2009-10 League..................Pld 21 - W 11 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 40 - GA 18 - Pts 38...Finished 5th
2010-11 League..................Pld 38 - W 21 - D 8 - L 9 - GF 60 - GA 33 - Pts 71...Finished 3rd..FA Cup Winners
2011-12 League..................Pld 38 - W 28 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 93 - GA 29 - Pts 89...Finished 1st..League Champions
2012-13 League..................Pld 36 - W 22 - D 9 - L 5 - GF 62 - GA 31 - Pts 75...Finished 2nd

Domestic Cups record.........Pld 30 - W 18 - D 4 - L 8 - GF 63 - GA 36
European Cups record.........Pld 28 - W 13 - D 7 - L 8 - GF 43 - GA 29

Overall record at City......Pld 191 - W 113 - D 38 - L 40 - GF 361 - GA 176

(Updated after the Wigan FA Cup Final game)
Mark Garrett
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Shaun Goater and Sergio

Postby twosips » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:58 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
twosips wrote:I guess, if im being honest with myself, having thought about it - yeah, my appetite to sit in a largely sterile environment and spend £70+ on the whole day is dwindling to be honest. This has nothing to do with appetite for City though cos i wouldn't be on here every half hour otherwise.

Most sporting events & also concerts are priced higher than they are worth to me.

Because people will pay it they can do it, & City will be in that position imo if we keep winning stuff. They would have to make a policy of lowering prices; they won't be forced to by lack of demand in the future.

Yeah definitely. Radiohead and Prince being recent examples. Kings of Fucking Leon for £55+.. you're kidding me right? I work very closely to a bloke who manages a band who play arenas worldwide, and thus is very, very well-off so you wouldn't think it'd bother him, but even he thinks bands/sporting teams totally rip off the punters and as a result has never let ticket prices soar (£35 for example compared to the £70 odd of some bands who pull in similar audience figures).... he's a united fan too and thinks ticket prices are an absolute joke there as well.

I went to Alton Towers at the weekend and fucking hell, £49 per ticket. It baffles me how expensive everything is these days. I'm not that old (28) and i still remember when things were vastly cheaper and more or less half the price of now and we're only looking back 6/7 years. Mental.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:50 pm

twosips wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
twosips wrote:I guess, if im being honest with myself, having thought about it - yeah, my appetite to sit in a largely sterile environment and spend £70+ on the whole day is dwindling to be honest. This has nothing to do with appetite for City though cos i wouldn't be on here every half hour otherwise.

Most sporting events & also concerts are priced higher than they are worth to me.

Because people will pay it they can do it, & City will be in that position imo if we keep winning stuff. They would have to make a policy of lowering prices; they won't be forced to by lack of demand in the future.

Yeah definitely. Radiohead and Prince being recent examples. Kings of Fucking Leon for £55+.. you're kidding me right? I work very closely to a bloke who manages a band who play arenas worldwide, and thus is very, very well-off so you wouldn't think it'd bother him, but even he thinks bands/sporting teams totally rip off the punters and as a result has never let ticket prices soar (£35 for example compared to the £70 odd of some bands who pull in similar audience figures).... he's a united fan too and thinks ticket prices are an absolute joke there as well.

I went to Alton Towers at the weekend and fucking hell, £49 per ticket. It baffles me how expensive everything is these days. I'm not that old (28) and i still remember when things were vastly cheaper and more or less half the price of now and we're only looking back 6/7 years. Mental.

It's amazing how much they have started fleecing people for everything.

Years ago you could go to watch a full day's cricket for example England v Australia for not too much money & you could take your own booze & food into the ground. Now it costs much more & you are there all day, buying stuff at their prices. So I don't go. Nowardays the cost has gone up way more than the amount of money people earn.

We have plans in place at City, looking at ground expansion one day to 70k. We could have a policy of aiming towards filling that one day looking to earn the same money Bayern Munich wil be earning & having a ground mostly full of diehard blues & a greart atmosphere. Make up the difference in commercial deals etc outside the matchday entrance fees. But equally, we can probably fill it with tourists & fleece them & bring in twice as much money.

It depends what kind of club we want to be & what kind of fans/atmosphere we want in the ground in the future.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby South Stand Balti » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:09 pm

I have renewed my season ticket which I think was £590 for the South stand, split over 3 payments. I don't think that is bad value and is relatively cheap compared to our competitors. I'm hoping we don't try to match the prices at Arse Chelski and the Rsgs. However, I'm a virgin customer and pay about £90 a month for the tv including sky sports plus my phone and internet. That's just under £1100 per year. That's very expensive and if I get rid I can nearly pay for two season tickets. I would 'love it, love it' if everyone cancelled satellite tv and bought a season ticket with it. I am likely to cancel given the tv coverage at the end of last season.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:24 pm

sandman wrote:Absolutely, after years of loyal support and never missing a game I have given up my season ticket, I was also in all cup schemes.

I now only go via mates tickets when they are unable to, what is more my mates never charge me more than 20 quid.

I no longer buy the shirts either.

I have put my life into perspective, although I could afford it I don't see why I should have to, especially since I am paying for Sky Sports and BT Sports both in HD aswell.

Paying a mortgage, life insurance, buildings and contents insurance, running two cars, paying for the full sky package and having a social life outside City I just dont see the prices as a sensible purchase anymore, previously I have always felt it was value for money, now it is just a rip off.

Some good points there and the one I highlight is where Sky et al have priced it perfectly. They don't want fans in the ground and the higher the cost the better it is for them.

This is not a slight at you SM as everybody has their own story but I'd rather lose Sky et al and get to the games every other week. In fact, and I could easily afford it, I sacked Sky, still went to all the homes and when we were away, went down to my local where there's a full house of Blues/Rags watching both the games, if they're on.

Season ticket plus 8-10 other games averages about £8-900 whereas my Sky subscription alone was approx £1500 a year. That's 15 hundred notes that was put to much better use. I even got to meet up with old friends and family.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby zuricity » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:32 pm

( When i read one report on Monday in the Independent about the great passing game the Arse had made, i could only conclude their reporter was blind or not at the match because i was amazed how often they too lost the ball and over hit passes).

For Pellegrini to put out a half baked team, for what ever reasons, was very poor and the Club disrespected the great fans who with all kinds of logistical
problems and extra costs , made their way to the game. So i was pretty miffed watching that tosh.

There seems to be an insatiable appetite for the Premier League at the moment. -This will end.

I know a lot of people paid a lot of cash for Wembley on Sunday, I was there and it cost me over 700 Swiss Francs to go. That's a lot, for what turned out
to be a crap game on many levels. However, the PL ? it will turn sour if not careful.

Any arguments about Rags, Scouse etc with massive support is irrelevant. The FA screwed up by making this game a Sunday game. Even for Plastics wanting to attend. It should have been on a Saturday afternoon and that's it.

Now with respect to Fans appetite dwindling. No I don't think it is , but I do think that the average person ( Dare I say working class man ?), on an average income is most certainly being priced out of watching live football.

The more we win, the more the plastic rags and scouse fans will stop watching their beloved teams in Thailand, Norway. etc.

The classic example is the World Cup, neither use nor ornament for the average guy. Ticket prices in Brazil were a joke.

The only team i go to watch live now is City. I feel sorry for the average punter who simply can't afford even the occasional ticket , as a couple have pointed out in this thread.

Once the stadium has been expanded and the management work out that we are not going to sell out 65,000 (not with these prices ) - unless we get Messi.
then ..
Maybe I will get a season ticket again and when not there, simply make it available to some guy who needs to go to the game on an ad hoc basis.

(Btw, the only reason i haven't donated to this site is the fact that last time it seemed to be over subscribed. Wonderwall only needs to text me next time he needs a bit of dosh, which i am sure he now will !).

It is down right disgraceful that , in this day and age , those suits at the FA , once they knew it wasn't going to be a sell out did not give away tickets to local charities / schools , footy clubs even in London. Nobody begrudges donations to needs causes. Crickey isn't what the Charity shield is all about ?

The FA is a disgrace and when we win the league this year , i hope the fans really show them where to stick their stupid day out by simply not turning up next time
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:47 pm

The more successful we are, the more games we play and at premium places, and therefore the less people with limited disposable income can afford to attend them all. Inevitably an element of selection comes in on cost grounds. Add to that the ludicrous messing with kick off times that means those with a decent salary like me can't get to some games, football often cuts it's own throat.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby twosips » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:50 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
sandman wrote:Absolutely, after years of loyal support and never missing a game I have given up my season ticket, I was also in all cup schemes.

I now only go via mates tickets when they are unable to, what is more my mates never charge me more than 20 quid.

I have put my life into perspective, although I could afford it I don't see why I should have to, especially since I am paying for Sky Sports and BT Sports both in HD aswell.

Paying a mortgage, life insurance, buildings and contents insurance, running two cars, paying for the full sky package and having a social life outside City I just dont see the prices as a sensible purchase anymore, previously I have always felt it was value for money, now it is just a rip off.

Some good points there and the one I highlight is where Sky et al have priced it perfectly. They don't want fans in the ground and the higher the cost the better it is for them.

This is not a slight at you SM as everybody has their own story but I'd rather lose Sky et al and get to the games every other week. In fact, and I could easily afford it, I sacked Sky, still went to all the homes and when we were away, went down to my local where there's a full house of Blues/Rags watching both the games, if they're on.

Season ticket plus 8-10 other games averages about £8-900 whereas my Sky subscription alone was approx £1500 a year. That's 15 hundred notes that was put to much better use. I even got to meet up with old friends and family.

Christ. You pay £120 a month for sky?! Do you get Kirsty Gallagher making you three course meals every day too? Our package is about a third of that!
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:03 pm

twosips wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

Christ. You pay £120 a month for sky?! Do you get Kirsty Gallagher making you three course meals every day too? Our package is about a third of that!

I did. To be fair, it was fully loaded with multi-room/HD etc and is by far the best product on the market. Like Sandman, I had a change of lifestyle and rather than sit in with friends and family watching the game, the kids were now at an age where they could legally buy me a beer so it seemed only right to let them.

I think it was Sky themselves who turned me away with their inane bollox of all things Red and I refuse to pay for somebody to come into my house and spout such shit to me. It was like inviting a travelling salesman in who then went onto slag the colour of your decor and continually mention your wife's ugly shoes.

You get the same for a 3rd of the price, just not the 3D effect when you smash the fucker in the mouth.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dameerto » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:52 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

So when we go to 70k will we offer such cheap season tickets? Unfortunately I think not.

I haven't seen any proposal to take us to 70k, and who knows what the future holds. I do remember a phrase from my school day economics lessons (almost three decades ago) though: 'economies of scale'.
Last edited by Dameerto on Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:54 pm

Dameerto wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

I haven't seen any proposal to take us to 70k, and who knows what the future holds.
so if bayern can offer cheaper tickets because of a bigger stadium then how come hull can offer 16 pound for the opening game whereas it's 57 for us? Absolutely no reason why the club can't offer cheaper tickets.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby Dameerto » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:58 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:
Dameerto wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

I haven't seen any proposal to take us to 70k, and who knows what the future holds.
so if bayern can offer cheaper tickets because of a bigger stadium then how come hull can offer 16 pound for the opening game whereas it's 57 for us? Absolutely no reason why the club can't offer cheaper tickets.

I don't support Hull, I don't follow Hull, I don't care about Hull. If/when we get a bigger ground and we're fully established within FFP MAYBE we will see some (downward) movement on the pricing.
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:01 pm

Dameerto wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

The future holds the possibility of the two sides of the ground being enlaged to take the capacity to 70k +. That has been looked at.

But I share the pessimistic thought that it's unlikely they will look to bring down prices to get in line with Bayern Munich if they do go through with it.

But I'm not completely without hope, especially if the FFP case goes against UEFA.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:04 pm

Wtf are you talking about? Because there has been no sign from clubs in the Pl or even from ourselves that bigger stadiums lead to lower prices. If anything they go up. If bayern can offer £150 quid for a season ticket, so can we and there's no excuse for premier league teams including ourselves pricing the average fan out of a game.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby Dameerto » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:07 pm

What I KNOW is that we're in a phase of expansion to take us into the 60's. Not 70's. What I HOPE is that when we are fully compliant with all regulations and any amendments they throw at us to try and catch us out there might be some downward movement in pricing. Thank the 'Sky four' for the English FFP and the cartel for the European one.
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:07 pm

Put it one way, if the club take it up over what I am prepared to pay, there'll be left with the Johnnies, regardless of the size.

If that's what they want then that's down to them but what I know is that the ordinary (although they are not) people who I grew up with at City are the real life and soul of the club and if they're not there, why should I be?

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dameerto » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:08 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:Wtf are you talking about? Because there has been no sign from clubs in the Pl or even from ourselves that bigger stadiums lead to lower prices. If anything they go up. If bayern can offer £150 quid for a season ticket, so can we and there's no excuse for premier league teams including ourselves pricing the average fan out of a game.

'WTF' I'm talking about is economies of scale. Fuck you. Twice.
£300 lowest priced season ticket? (which had it's price frozen). We're limited to token gestures because we're still in the red according to UEFA, and we're clawing every penny from every source we can to try and comply with their amended regulations. I fully expect to see our commercial interests increasing season by season which will help, it might even reach a point where it takes the pressure off from our matchday income sufficiently for us to reward season ticket holders for their loyalty. I see our owner as someone who wants a business that is self financing, rather than a source of increasing his personal wealth. which leaves me open minded to the possibility of lower prices in the future. I'm not saying it WILL happen, I'm saying it is possible.
Last edited by Dameerto on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum