Is the Fans Appetite Dwindling?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Is the Fans Appetite Dwindling?

Postby twosips » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:10 am

Simple as its far too expensive for me. Last season was when I was finally priced out. Incredibly depressing weighing up the realities of buying a ticket against my ever dwindling funds... its just too much these days and it makes life more or less impossible for weeks on end if i splash out and go to a game. It's quite depressing.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:13 am

There WILL be a day when im priced out,gonna be a sad day but i do feel its coming ever closer.

Now if City made the stadium 70k and everyone had 300-400 priced seasoncards it would be a different matter.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:18 am

twosips wrote:Simple as its far too expensive for me. Last season was when I was finally priced out. Incredibly depressing weighing up the realities of buying a ticket against my ever dwindling funds... its just too much these days and it makes life more or less impossible for weeks on end if i splash out and go to a game. It's quite depressing.

I have a value on the 'matchday experience' which is less than I'm currently paying to watch it.

Is it great to watch City ? Absolutely. But it's not especially great to sit in an often fairly unatmospheric stadium watching City, as opposed to watching it on tv.

If we had the atmos from the bad old days of Maine Rd, THAT plus this team, would be amazing & worth double, but apart from the really big games, there is nothing special about sitting at the Etihad for a routine game & it's expensive to do so. It's the team/players that's special & worth the money, not the 'matchday experience'.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:21 am

lets all have a disco wrote:There WILL be a day when im priced out,gonna be a sad day but i do feel its coming ever closer.

Now if City made the stadium 70k and everyone had 300-400 priced seasoncards it would be a different matter.

As I said on a similar thread recently; City are coming to a crossroads. They can succeed turning either way, but if they choose the road you are suggesting, they will of course have less gate reciepts, but a full ground with younger people & more working class people & it will be fucking rocking in there.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby twosips » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:22 am

Can't disagree. I got to a couple of games last year through begging, stealing and borrowing whatever cash I could, and fuck me it was sterile. Been that way for a few years now. It's definitely not worth the money imo...

I was 9 years old when I went to my first game at Maine Road back in 94' and the atmosphere was brilliant. I miss the camaraderie and the general feel of being part of something. It's been pretty awful for several years now, the odd game aside (Hamburg for example). I may as well be sat in my front room - at least then I don't get glared at for being enthusiastic.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:33 am

twosips wrote:Can't disagree. I got to a couple of games last year through begging, stealing and borrowing whatever cash I could, and fuck me it was sterile. Been that way for a few years now. It's definitely not worth the money imo...

I was 9 years old when I went to my first game at Maine Road back in 94' and the atmosphere was brilliant. I miss the camaraderie and the general feel of being part of something. It's been pretty awful for several years now, the odd game aside (Hamburg for example). I may as well be sat in my front room - at least then I don't get glared at for being enthusiastic.

I'm trying to think of how many games in the last few years where the ground has been absolutely rocking.
Hamburg is the obvious example, Chelsea at home in Hughes's second season was fantastic as was Arsenal at home that season. A few games against the Rags too, but other than that, I can't think of too many.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:39 am

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:
twosips wrote:Can't disagree. I got to a couple of games last year through begging, stealing and borrowing whatever cash I could, and fuck me it was sterile. Been that way for a few years now. It's definitely not worth the money imo...

I'm trying to think of how many games in the last few years where the ground has been absolutely rocking.
Hamburg is the obvious example, Chelsea at home in Hughes's second season was fantastic as was Arsenal at home that season. A few games against the Rags too, but other than that, I can't think of too many.

Hamburg was cheap & had lots of non regulars who took advantage of an opportunity to see what was at the time a 'big' game they usually can't get to see.

That's what the ground would be like if they tried to build the German model in the future imo, with a big capacity & as cheap as we can possibly do it. The demand would go through the roof because people would want to be there, watching football, in such a ground.

If only retired people, yuppies, tourists, corporates & those normal fans 'doing ok' can go, you get the resulting atmosphere.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:46 am

I must admit, every time we are moved from the South Stand for cup games I do wonder if I could turn up every week to sit on my hands, in the morgue that is the Colin Bell Stand. At 57 snots a pop, maybe not. I find it a thoroughly dispiriting experience there.
But with interest free credit available and the cost of a season ticket spread over a large part of the season, I still feel that I am getting decent value for money at around six hundred quid
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby twosips » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:49 am

I guess, if im being honest with myself, having thought about it - yeah, my appetite to sit in a largely sterile environment and spend £70+ on the whole day is dwindling to be honest. This has nothing to do with appetite for City though cos i wouldn't be on here every half hour otherwise.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:03 am

twosips wrote:I guess, if im being honest with myself, having thought about it - yeah, my appetite to sit in a largely sterile environment and spend £70+ on the whole day is dwindling to be honest. This has nothing to do with appetite for City though cos i wouldn't be on here every half hour otherwise.

Most sporting events & also concerts are priced higher than they are worth to me.

Because people will pay it they can do it, & City will be in that position imo if we keep winning stuff. They would have to make a policy of lowering prices; they won't be forced to by lack of demand in the future.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hazy2 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:12 am

In a word Yes, I have renewed, am as in tune as I once was, NO. Stupid K.O times pisses me off to the point I say fuck it, I did not even blink when the Charity Farce was announced. My kids will use my ticket most of the season, as they did last season.Plus as a Kippax educated fan I hate the lack of PASSION !
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:04 pm

I would love to see with the expansion of the ground, an area of reasonably prices unreserved seating created, possibly in the South Stand Go with your mates at a decent price and it may create an atmosphere and avoid pricing long standing loyal fans, and maybe help bring in new younger supporters.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Us

Postby mcfc1632 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:34 pm

I cannot remember how much I paid for my seasoncard but I am guessing when divided by 18 it offers up much better value than tickets for individual games - perhaps the club have a strategy to herd everyone to SCs - especially with the expansion.
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby CTID Hants » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:41 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
craigmcfc wrote:On another note, it's quite normal for our games to only sell out in the last few days. Yes it's the first game of the season and it's against Liverpool, but it just seems to be the last minute buying habit of the non season ticket City fans. As long as it's full when we kick off then it's fine.

Plus it's holiday season and people are away, or maybe need to spend on other trips etc right now. I expect the game to sell out by a week Saturday.

Ive renewed my season ticket and will be there in the 25th, but have never been interested in the Community Shield and never will be.

Exactly, August and even early September there is always a slow up take on ticket sales, not only people being on holiday but childcare during school holidays followed by "back to school" costs of uniforms, shoes etc hits the back pocket pretty hard.

I seem to remember threads the same as this pretty much every year since I've been on here............. but come match day the stadium will be full, people have to prioritise and look at what is left in the wallet nearer the game. Might not be 100% sell out but it'll be near as dam it.
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:17 pm

lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:23 pm

cheers for that Kiers. it goes to show that we are charging a lot but WHU are taking the piss big time.

Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby sandman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:34 pm

Absolutely, after years of loyal support and never missing a game I have given up my season ticket, I was also in all cup schemes.

I now only go via mates tickets when they are unable to, what is more my mates never charge me more than 20 quid.

I no longer buy the shirts either.

I have put my life into perspective, although I could afford it I don't see why I should have to, especially since I am paying for Sky Sports and BT Sports both in HD aswell.

Paying a mortgage, life insurance, buildings and contents insurance, running two cars, paying for the full sky package and having a social life outside City I just dont see the prices as a sensible purchase anymore, previously I have always felt it was value for money, now it is just a rip off.
sandman

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:10 pm

Wonderwall wrote:cheers for that Kiers. it goes to show that we are charging a lot but WHU are taking the piss big time.

Why is it Arsenal charge Palace 36 yet we have to travel to the smoke and pay top whack and they have to get a tube?

The prices in this league are so fucked up its untrue,maybe thats why people are get a bit full of it all.
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby City64 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:02 pm

Loads of fans just couldn't be arsed going all the way down to London then the trek over to Wembley for the Charity shield simple as . We had a fucking nightmare when it was at Villa Park the other year as the M6 got closed and caused absolute mayhem , hundreds if not thousands of City fans just abandoned the journey and watched the game in pubs in Wolverhampton , Stafford even fucking Stoke ! Last Sunday was a home fixture for the Arse they only had to jump on a fucking bus . As for the league v Liverpool the ticket pricing is an absolute joke and it looks like it is backfiring on the club ......... step in the day trippers just like what happened at the swamp when they became top dogs , that's the way our club MCFC is going it seems . The game will be a sell out when it comes around but dare I say it a lot of proper city fans won't be there ..........brace yourself for flashing cameras , plastic souvenir bags and a shit atmosphere here on in .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:13 pm

Reading this thread is quite depressing. More and more blues are being priced out of seeing the team they love. If bayern can offer season tickets for 150 quid, there's no reason we can't.
Bridge'srightfoot

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum