Is the Fans Appetite Dwindling?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Is the Fans Appetite Dwindling?

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:00 am

I have just been onto our ticket site and can see a lot of seats left for the Liverpool game, I know its £57 and I totally disagree with the pricing structure. However, we are double winners, have the best team/squad in our history (IMO), we are playing the best football I have ever seen and we are acclaimed worldwide as a top team that nobody wants to face because we are so good.

Then why are tickets that difficult to shift?

Turnout for Wembley was poor, the top tier was empty opposite from me.

If we scraped away from relegation for the last couple of seasons, the place would be full for the first game of the season. I cant put my finger on it, it just doesnt add up for me, i thought we were growing our fan base? We are expanding the stadium yet 5 days before the start of the new season and we have not yet sold out our first home games and one of the biggest games of the season?

It fuclin baffles me. What makes it worse is I cannot defend it when the scousers give me grief about attendances, they could sell Anfield out 3 times over for each home game and have sold every ticket for every home game up until Xmas for the coming season.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: Is the Fans Appetite Dwindling?

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:10 am

Who cares? It will sell out.

I dont care if Wembley wasnt sold out for a friendly in the middle of holiday season,EVERY final we have been in has sold out and if anything it might force the FA to play that game at a neutral venue like you know Villa Park (anyone remember that day) good wasn't it and didnt cost the earth to go.

Fuck the FA funding them cunts they give hardly anything to charity in that game,if it was clear we wouldn't sell out GIVE the tickets away to local schools,youth clubs,etc etc.

I'm getting pretty pissed off hearing all this crap from rags,Arsenal,Scouse etc they have had a lifetime to build up their fanbase and ship in loads every week, we are still local.

FUCK OFF.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Goaters 103 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:30 am

The turnout at Wembley was pathetic. No way to dress it up, it was embarrassing. That said the ones who stayed away did the right thing as the clubs attitude to that game was at the "couldn't give a toss" level.

The cost is a big factor for the Liverpool game as £57 is a pisstake, especially with that daft £35 Membership scheme you are asked to join as well - way too much.

Ive always thought we had a hardcore of about 40k, give or take a couple of thousand either way, who would turn up come what may. The additions and rest turn up and add on if the team is successful or there is a big match such as a Cup q-f or something like that.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:39 am

Why should the fans pay a fuck load of money to see us at Wembley when the team don't even take it seriously?
Secondly WW you said it yourself, £57 quid is a joke. It's nearly a third of the price of a Bayern season ticket, for one game. Fans can't afford it, simple as. It's too much for an hour and halfs entertainment. Before I had a season ticket it was only about 25 quid for the odd game and that was doable.

If some people can afford those prices now for single games fair enough, but we shouldn't be slating others for not being able to go with prices like that.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby craigmcfc » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:45 am

I'd have loved to have been at Wembley, well maybe not considering the end result, but it all boils down to cost. I've been to all our games at Wembley over the last few seasons but with the prospect of expensive Champions League games to come, I simply couldn't afford another trip down there for what, in my mind, is a pretty pointless game.

My son is now 16, the cost of his season ticket has doubled and for all cup and Champions League games I'm pretty sure his tickets will now cost the same as mine, whereas they were either £5 or £10 when he was under 16. The 3 home Champions League group games could well cost me around £300 for the 2 of us to watch.

Our end at Wembley really did look embarrassing on tv but if mine is a story that thousands of others are feeling then, to me, it's completely understandable.
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby ruralblue » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:49 am

I was priced out ages ago. Take a carers wage (and for a carer I apparently get a decent hourly rate), I go home with just short of a thousand a month. So £250 a week. Take away £57 for a ticket, travel would be another £35, and the usual pie, pint and programme... £15. That's over hundred quid which is nearly half or more than a third of my wage. So couldn't afford it unless I lived nearer and even then it would be at a push.

Appetite for watching games at home hasn't gone even if I do have to watch it on a seven inch screen if showed on Sky or dodgy streams if not.

For a normal chap earning (can't say average), but basic wage, I was priced out years ago.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:50 am

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:Why should the fans pay a fuck load of money to see us at Wembley when the team don't even take it seriously?
Secondly WW you said it yourself, £57 quid is a joke. It's nearly a third of the price of a Bayern season ticket, for one game. Fans can't afford it, simple as. It's too much for an hour and halfs entertainment. Before I had a season ticket it was only about 25 quid for the odd game and that was doable.

If some people can afford those prices now for single games fair enough, but we shouldn't be slating others for not being able to go with prices like that.

I am not slating anyone, I have a genuine query.
Cost is 1 reason - are City fans poorer than Liverpool fans? Their tickets cost more than ours do? City fans come out of the woodwork for the cup games and then whinge about not being able to get a ticket when it sells out.
We are CHAMPIONS and DOUBLE WINNERS, yet you wouldnt think it.

I agree about the core support, we will always get that, and IMO that is old school hard core support, however, I would have thought we had a bigger element of younger support these days? The City shirts on kids these days certainly rival anything I have seen down the years, our popularity is at an all time high for shirt numbers on the street.
Wonderwall

Postby craigmcfc » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:51 am

On another note, it's quite normal for our games to only sell out in the last few days. Yes it's the first game of the season and it's against Liverpool, but it just seems to be the last minute buying habit of the non season ticket City fans. As long as it's full when we kick off then it's fine.
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:00 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Bridge'srightfoot wrote:Why should the fans pay a fuck load of money to see us at Wembley when the team don't even take it seriously?

Cost is 1 reason - are City fans poorer than Liverpool fans? Their tickets cost more than ours do? City fans come out of the woodwork for the cup games and then whinge about not being able to get a ticket when it sells out.

I agree about the core support, we will always get that, and IMO that is old school hard core support, however, I would have thought we had a bigger element of younger support these days? The City shirts on kids these days certainly rival anything I have seen down the years, our popularity is at an all time high for shirt numbers on the street.

Its all being well loads of kids wearing the shirt but if Daddy cant afford to go then kiddy doesnt either.
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Invisible Man Fan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:01 am

I have to agree that it comes down to cost....For me to take the Mrs to the Dippers game is....

2 x £57 tickets
2 x £35 membership fees

So, thats £184 before I've even stepped out of my front door. I made the trips to Scotland and Wembley in pre-season, but I can't afford that kind of money for one game. I took myself, my mrs and my dad down to wembley for £135 inc all tickets and fuel costs

I'm down on the waiting list for a season ticket and I certainly haven't lost my appetite for City
"If we fire our manager after just one bad season - We'll become Chelsea"
"If we think we can fix the problem by buying expensive players - We'll become City"
"If we remember the good times to entertain us during the bad times - We'll become Liverpool"

So, keep calm and do it the United way

"We invest in young players, That is what we are good at — we’re not like other clubs who can spend fortunes on proven goods. We know that Manchester City are going to pay stupid money, pay silly salaries and all that. We can’t do anything about it. We concentrate on what we can do to try to bring players in for the right reasons. We invest in those who will be with the club for a long time, who will create the character of the club, who will create excitement for our fans. We are very proud of that and we are going to continue that way" - Alex Ferguson 14th May 2012
Invisible Man Fan
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: City!!
My favourite player is: Alan

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:11 am

I'm not on champs scheme as it's faaar too expensive to watch those games,i didnt attend Barca,Munich or Madrid games i went to Wigan,Leeds et al in the cup instead why? price.

Am i upset at my decision,NO.

Am i any less of a supporter? NO
Last edited by lets all have a disco on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:12 am

Wonderwall wrote:

Being champions doesn't give us anymore money though and although the kid may be wearing the shirt, it will still cost the dad about 100 quid to take them both to the game. I don't know about Liverpool fans, maybe they have a larger fanbase? Maybe they are more passionate than us as you say.

With regards to cup games, there's no reason they have to be that expensive. I saw someone the other week suggest that league cup tickets should be free to season card holders and a fiver to everyone else, ideas like that will boost the support.

£57 quid for a game is more than I'm willing to pay.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:16 am

lets all have a disco wrote:I'm not on champs scheme as it's faaar too expensive to watch those games,i didnt attend Barca,Munich or Madrid games i went to Wigan,Leeds et al in the cup instead why? price.

Am i upset at my decision,NO.

Am i any less of a supporter? NO

And no-one is saying you are less of a supporter. I am simply asking the question is it solely down to price that we have not sold out our first home game of the season? We sold out the last two seasons and they were a similar price, I seem to remember the Southampton Game was over £50 for the first game of the season after we won the league in 2012.

I thought the clamour for tickets to see the champions against the Runners up on the first home game would have been immense and sold out almost immediately. I was wrong and wondered why, hence the question in the thread title.
Wonderwall

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:21 am

craigmcfc wrote:On another note, it's quite normal for our games to only sell out in the last few days. Yes it's the first game of the season and it's against Liverpool, but it just seems to be the last minute buying habit of the non season ticket City fans. As long as it's full when we kick off then it's fine.

Plus it's holiday season and people are away, or maybe need to spend on other trips etc right now. I expect the game to sell out by a week Saturday.

Ive renewed my season ticket and will be there in the 25th, but have never been interested in the Community Shield and never will be.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:48 am

Is it too expensive ? Yes.

Do Liverpool & rags (and Arsenal) have a lot more fans than us ? Yes by about 1000% or more. Is it easier therefore, to fill their grounds charging whatever they like ? Yes. Do they always fill their grounds ? No, only when there is a bit of a buzz going on, the rest of the time they don't sell out.

Will City be able to sell out a large ground at stupid prices if they keep going on the present path ? Yes.

Will a lot of long term supporters stop going & be replaced ? Yes.

Is it close to breaking point for many now ? Yes.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:03 am

It isn't very long ago at all that Scouse were watched by around 31-32000 for a league game v Bolton. Don't believe all the hype they have sold out every game for years.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Slim » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:05 am

At those prices, can fans even afford cake? Best the appetite is dwindling.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:06 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:It isn't very long ago at all that Scouse were watched by around 31-32000 for a league game v Bolton. Don't believe all the hype they have sold out every game for years.

Hodgsons last game in charge they were over 10k below being full.
I dont get pulled in by any bollox they spout, however, getting a ticket to Candlefield in the current climate is very difficult. As demand way outstrips supply by a very large margin, plus their season ticket waiting list is over 30k and has been closed to new applications for some time.
Wonderwall

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:06 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:It isn't very long ago at all that Scouse were watched by around 31-32000 for a league game v Bolton. Don't believe all the hype they have sold out every game for years.

The rags don't sell out either. Only when everything is going well. But they both have ten times as many fans as us, so if they win titles regularly, they can charge big money & tourists will come.

We will be exactly the same 10-15 years from now.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:10 am

My mistake. 35400
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue