Kieran Trippier and Ben Mee

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Kieran Trippier and Ben Mee

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:53 am

Welcome back to the Premier League! Only noticed this yesterday that Burnley will probably be fielding two fullbacks from our academy. Anyone know how they fared in the championship, the players that is?
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Re: Kieran Trippier and Ben Mee

Postby littlebig » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:19 am

Trippier has earned a reputation as an accomplished attacking full back with 1 goal and 12 assists last season. Burnley's defence were quite tight too with just 37 goals conceded.
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby twosips » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:31 am

Yeah, Trippier looks decent. Wouldn't be surprised if he stayed in the premier league after this season. I'd put good money on him being a better bet than the useless pile of junk that is Glen johnson anyway, who is currently England's first choice right back. The mind boggles.

Both of these players though are fine examples of our academy though - proof that even if you don't quite make it for City, chances are you'll 'fall short' and still end up an upper championship player/lower prem player and earn a very good living. I'd be pretty happy with a (hypothetical) son of mine going City, even if I knew his chances of getting into the first team are slim. If he did, great, you've won the lottery, if not then chances are instead of winning the rollover lottery draw he'll just win a couple of million instead. Not really a bad compromise is it?
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:08 am

littlebig wrote:Trippier has earned a reputation as an accomplished attacking full back with 1 goal and 12 assists last season. Burnley's defence were quite tight too with just 37 goals conceded.

Burnley fans rate Tripp very highly and especially his crossing ability from dead balls and on the run.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:17 am

I always thought Trippier was almost good enough but not quite, & a bit small as well. A near miss.

Ben Mee on the other hand was highly rated by many, dead slow & generally fucking terrible.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Dameerto » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:06 pm

Mee had a good preseason with us when we went to South Africa a few years ago. (We used him in central defence).
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby nottsblue » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:21 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
littlebig wrote:Trippier has earned a reputation as an accomplished attacking full back with 1 goal and 12 assists last season. Burnley's defence were quite tight too with just 37 goals conceded.

Burnley fans rate Tripp very highly and especially his crossing ability from dead balls and on the run.

A pal who is Barnsley rates him very highly as well. Think they had him on loan from us?
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:36 pm

Both of these players though are fine examples of our academy though - proof that even if you don't quite make it for City, chances are you'll 'fall short' and still end up an upper championship player/lower prem player and earn a very good living. I'd be pretty happy with a (hypothetical) son of mine going City, even if I knew his chances of getting into the first team are slim. If he did, great, you've won the lottery, if not then chances are instead of winning the rollover lottery draw he'll just win a couple of million instead. Not really a bad compromise is it?

Agree wholeheartedly with this. Saw some numbers a few years ago of how many players from the Ajax academy ply their trade in football on some level and it was amazing to see. Definitely increases the attractiveness of our academy if City can show that there's a future in football for more people than the stars.

And... I mean... Trippier is, regardless, one of the 10-20 best English right backs in the country right now. Even though he may not reach stardom, it's no small feat. I've never been top 20 in my country on anything except perhaps masturbation but that's it.

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Slim » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:10 am

Cocacolajojo wrote:

Agree wholeheartedly with this. Saw some numbers a few years ago of how many players from the Ajax academy ply their trade in football on some level and it was amazing to see. Definitely increases the attractiveness of our academy if City can show that there's a future in football for more people than the stars.

And... I mean... Trippier is, regardless, one of the 10-20 best English right backs in the country right now. Even though he may not reach stardom, it's no small feat. I've never been top 20 in my country on anything except perhaps masturbation but that's it.

All 20 of the top 20 wankers in the UK support the rags. So unless there is something you're not telling us.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby littlebig » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:11 am

Cocacolajojo wrote:I've never been top 20 in my country on anything except perhaps masturbation but that's it.

Don't knock masturbation, it's sex with the person I love the most (Woody Allen)
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby littlebig » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:13 am

Dameerto wrote:Mee had a good preseason with us when we went to South Africa a few years ago. (We used him in central defence).

Give it a rest Dameerto. It's all Mee, Mee, Mee, Mee!
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:13 pm

Slim wrote:
Cocacolajojo wrote:

All 20 of the top 20 wankers in the UK support the rags. So unless there is something you're not telling us.

Absolutely brilliant rejoinder !

Well done to you for that and I bet Cocacolajojo loved it.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:26 pm

No comments

Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:52 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:

No comments

Nicely diplomatic, as ever.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Return to The Maine Football forum