Pre season

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Pre season

Postby Lee_R » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:40 am

Sorry if already done.

Its been a funny one hasnt it? Not sure I like that the likes of Yaya, Silva, Demi, Kompany, Aguero etc have not really had much of one together. I know its been the WC but its still seemed a bit odd and somehow short. I suppose the benefit is Aguero and Komps wont be injured. Good to see Jovetic looking strong too. Still an odd pre season though.
Lee_R
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David White

Re: Pre season

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:19 am

Totally Agree
Aguero
DeMichelis
Zaba
Kompany
Sagna
Fernandinho
Lampard
Negredo (injured)
Mangala?

All these have not kicked a ball yet, how can we possibly expect to start the season with a bang? the Scousers have had all their players playing apart from Lallana (injured) Markovich and Lovren. Rags have played everyone but Van Pussy as he is injured. In know we need our guys to get some rest but the season starts in 10 days!
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby clippo22 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:11 am

I completely agree too, very worrying for me that majority of our key players haven't kicked a ball yet. Hopefully the rest will benefit us later on in the season! I mentioned it in the Charity Shield thread but I'm not sure who will play at Wembley on Sunday? Surely we will see Kompany, Silva, Yaya, Sagna or zaba, Demi, Aguero? Can't imagine us going to Newcastle without the majority of our squad having played a single pre-season game!
clippo22
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: City!!!
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Slim » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:13 am

All of these players were playing through the Summer though. Not sure the break of a few weeks will have hurt them that much.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:26 am

Wonderwall wrote:Totally Agree
Aguero
DeMichelis
Zaba
Kompany
Sagna
Fernandinho
Lampard
Negredo (injured)
Mangala?

All these have not kicked a ball yet, how can we possibly expect to start the season with a bang? the Scousers have had all their players playing apart from Lallana (injured) Markovich and Lovren. Rags have played everyone but Van Pussy as he is injured. In know we need our guys to get some rest but the season starts in 10 days!

Is Totally Agree one of the new African lads ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:38 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:Totally Agree
Aguero
DeMichelis
Zaba
Kompany
Sagna
Fernandinho
Lampard
Negredo (injured)
Mangala?

Is Totally Agree one of the new African lads ?

Yes he is, the lads call him Todo, you wait an see :-)
Wonderwall

Postby phips » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:57 pm

unfortunately this is what happens in WC years when you have a squad full on internationals…and good ones that go far in the tournament, unlike United's squad.

opening day vs Newcastle is going to be very interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if we see:

Hart
Clichy Kompany MDM Kolarov
Fernando Yaya
Navas Jovetic Nasri
Dzeko
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:03 pm

phips wrote:unfortunately this is what happens in WC years when you have a squad full on internationals…and good ones that go far in the tournament, unlike United's squad.

opening day vs Newcastle is going to be very interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if we see:

Hart
Fernando Yaya
Navas Jovetic Nasri
Dzeko

No Merlin?
Wonderwall

Postby phips » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:47 am

Wonderwall wrote:
phips wrote:unfortunately this is what happens in WC years when you have a squad full on internationals…and good ones that go far in the tournament, unlike United's squad.

Hart
Fernando Yaya
Navas Jovetic Nasri
Dzeko

No Merlin?

i had him in there initially but then i couldnt decide who to leave out between Navas and Nasri. one would assume Navas but Pellegrini has been playing him a lot in preseason and he's been doing fairly well. Silva has only played 1 half since he's been back from the WC.

this logic fails when it comes to Yaya and MDM but I figured MDM > Nasti/Rekik/Boyata and Yaya is Yaya

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Slim » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:30 am

Yaya is Yaya. A three word answer that answers a three year old thread.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:56 pm

phips wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Hart
Fernando Yaya
Navas Jovetic Nasri
Dzeko

No Merlin?

i had him in there initially but then i couldnt decide who to leave out between Navas and Nasri. one would assume Navas but Pellegrini has been playing him a lot in preseason and he's been doing fairly well. Silva has only played 1 half since he's been back from the WC.

this logic fails when it comes to Yaya and MDM but I figured MDM > Nasti/Rekik/Boyata and Yaya is Yaya

As soon as the GK, defence and Defensive Mids are picked, Merlin is the first name on the sheet and the others are slotted in around him.
Wonderwall

Postby phips » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:32 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
phips wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Hart
Fernando Yaya
Navas Jovetic Nasri
Dzeko

No Merlin?

As soon as the GK, defence and Defensive Mids are picked, Merlin is the first name on the sheet and the others are slotted in around him.

usually i'd agree but Week 1 starting XIs are always weird, especially after major tournaments, so who knows

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby dazby » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:53 pm

clippo22 wrote:I completely agree too, very worrying for me that majority of our key players haven't kicked a ball yet. Hopefully the rest will benefit us later on in the season! I mentioned it in the Charity Shield thread but I'm not sure who will play at Wembley on Sunday? Surely we will see Kompany, Silva, Yaya, Sagna or zaba, Demi, Aguero? Can't imagine us going to Newcastle without the majority of our squad having played a single pre-season game!

It stuns me when City fans worry about something. Of the however many football clubs there are in the world EVERY single one of them have more to worry about than us. This is stress free football supporting at its very best.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby CTID Hants » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:30 pm

dazby wrote:
clippo22 wrote:I completely agree too, very worrying for me that majority of our key players haven't kicked a ball yet. Hopefully the rest will benefit us later on in the season! I mentioned it in the Charity Shield thread but I'm not sure who will play at Wembley on Sunday? Surely we will see Kompany, Silva, Yaya, Sagna or zaba, Demi, Aguero? Can't imagine us going to Newcastle without the majority of our squad having played a single pre-season game!

It stuns me when City fans worry about something. Of the however many football clubs there are in the world EVERY single one of them have more to worry about than us. This is stress free football supporting at its very best.

Ha ha, the problem is Dazby, regardless of where we are now..... 'Typical City' won't ever go away, new season etc, for me I don't ever want that dealing to EVER go away & end up being like a scum fan!!

Apprehension is in our DNA :-)

(hopefully in yours too, since you've been on board for so long now).

Parking up those listed by The Count in today's presser who won't be playing Sunday (mild panic DID set in reading it) we still have enough to take on the barcodes AND the others in the coming games IMO.
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:42 am

I thought it was a decent pre-season that highlighted the fact that we will have to manage our players coming back from the WC. The actual amount of WC players we had is astounding and for the little break they have had after a very busy season Pellers has to make some tough decisions going forward.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:24 am

Beefymcfc wrote:I thought it was a decent pre-season that highlighted the fact that we will have to manage our players coming back from the WC. The actual amount of WC players we had is astounding and for the little break they have had after a very busy season Pellers has to make some tough decisions going forward.

Given these circumstances, plus our early set of fixtures, to put it euphemistically, I think we'll be playing 'catch-up' for the first half of the season.

However, it's a long campaign and I'd much rather come through in the later stages with a strong run, than lead the table from the start and burn out after Christmas (like Arsenal did last season).

It'll take some time for our key players to 'recover' from their endeavours in the World Cup so, in the meantime, we've just got to be a little patient and trust in the Manager to pull it all together when required.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:42 am

Going back to Mancini's last season, imo he fucked the whole season by dicking around with 3 at the back & not working the back 4 together pre season. Then when we kicked off & it looked rusty, he made changes rather than show patience, & the title winning defensive unit was dead, never to return.

Pellegrini is in a very similar position apart from the lack of added back 3 confusion. The difference is that it's not his fault & that somehow he managed to get a team with an initially shambolic back 4 plus keeper to become champs by the end.

So he CAN do it again, but it's not easy at all.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Return to The Maine Football forum