What's The Priority?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: What's The Priority?

Postby Scatman » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:13 pm

40 points as ever.
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:25 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:League as always but I'm sure I'm in monority here.

It's not a minority. Quite the opposite.

I'd rather win the league over the Champs league without any hesitation.

Win a few more league titles over the next 5 years I might have a reversal but as it stands Europe can suck my balls.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby nottsblue » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:49 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:League as always but I'm sure I'm in monority here.

Win a few more league titles over the next 5 years I might have a reversal but as it stands Europe can suck my balls.

Cheers

Reading the thread I reckon most folks see the domestic league title as the more important one. Always has been and always will be to we overhaul the rags
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:53 pm

nottsblue wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

Cheers

Reading the thread I reckon most folks see the domestic league title as the more important one. Always has been and always will be to we overhaul the rags

PL will ALWAYS BW priority for most of us Blues as we're still not up our own arses. However, the thought of winning the CL whilst still fighting for the PL will always get our juices flowing.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:04 pm

nottsblue wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

Cheers

Nothing to go with the rags. Playing every team, home and away, is the ultimate test, not done rigged, seeded draw, knock out game. If the CL was a proper league, or a true luck-of-the draw, knock out, like it used to be, it would carry more weight for me.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby john68 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:24 am

...and herein could be the problem. Whilst we fans may see the Prem as the main priority, that may not be the case for our owners.

The Prem is a major league that is televised worldwide and therefore being champions carries a lot of global exposure and kudos.

Winning the CL, although secondary in our thoughts, carries with it the title of Champions of Europe and is a big step up in global marketability. As John St Austell has ably demonstrated, we are a commercial business and European Champions ensures more global deals and increased revenue.

City are also our owner's vehicle to increase the global profile of Abu Dhabi and for them, winning the CL would be a huge tool to help them do this.

Looking at the politics of European football, we may have passed the FFP and got through the door before it slams shut, but should those top European clubs go ahead in 2018 and form a new European competition, The more successful we are, the harder it will be to shut us out.

The CL has to be on our owners agenda.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:20 am

john68 wrote:...and herein could be the problem. Whilst we fans may see the Prem as the main priority, that may not be the case for our owners.

The Prem is a major league that is televised worldwide and therefore being champions carries a lot of global exposure and kudos.

Winning the CL, although secondary in our thoughts, carries with it the title of Champions of Europe and is a big step up in global marketability. As John St Austell has ably demonstrated, we are a commercial business and European Champions ensures more global deals and increased revenue.

City are also our owner's vehicle to increase the global profile of Abu Dhabi and for them, winning the CL would be a huge tool to help them do this.

Looking at the politics of European football, we may have passed the FFP and got through the door before it slams shut, but should those top European clubs go ahead in 2018 and form a new European competition, The more successful we are, the harder it will be to shut us out.

The CL has to be on our owners agenda.

It has to be for sure. But not at the expense of the program. Within the next 4 years win it and they'll be chuffed to bits.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby john68 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:31 am

Doomie,

If the political situation within Europe evolves as I believe it will, 4 years could be too late.

I am certain our owners are more than aware of the current situation and this is defining the speed of investment into and the the growth of MCFC/CFG.

The Etihad Campus, Womens' Football at the top level, NYCFC, Melbourne City, That Japanese Club, the links with Nissan and the dozens or so of small local deals around the World. We are growing at a huge rate of knots.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:53 am

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

Cheers

Nothing to go with the rags. Playing every team, home and away, is the ultimate test, not done rigged, seeded draw, knock out game. If the CL was a proper league, or a true luck-of-the draw, knock out, like it used to be, it would carry more weight for me.

Correct.
You can go back to my posts through the years when we were shit and I ALWAYS said that Champion's League should be competition for clubs that have actually WON their league. Cherry on top of the cake with best of the best competing with each other. As things stand there are clubs who will put their domestic league on back pedal to try and win Champion's League and that is simply wrong. It's also wrong to see club that has won fuck all previous year lifting the title.

Creating proper league would be another proposition.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Benjay » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:29 am

It was the Champions League until I saw the press over the last 3 weeks. Are we actually playing in the league this season? Do we exist? I am not looking for worship like status but a bit of recognition would be nice. So for me its the Premier League again.....
Benjay
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Man city
My favourite player is: Milner

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:48 am

nottsblue wrote:Think priority for the club is Champions league. Whether that means actually winning it or maybe getting to semi-finals I don't know. Just hope it is not at expense of Premier league

Personally, I would always choose domestic league over a knockout cup. Thats the week in week out standard. Progress in cups is always welcome, but not to the detriment of the league.

Scoring 100 goals again would be nice and getting 10 in a single match would be great but back to back titles is priority for me

10 goals in a match was something I was hoping for last season, for lots of reasons, not least because I thought we could do it. I'd also like to see us get 90 points this season.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:51 am

Today the priority is the Charity Shield.*

* I know it isn't called that any moree.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum