What's The Priority?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: What's The Priority?

Postby dazby » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:40 am

The priority is to play good attractive football.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:25 pm

dazby wrote:The priority is to play good attractive football.

Sounds nice Dazzer but I'd still prefer a scruffy win if needed rather than a beautiful loss.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Dameerto » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:41 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:
Dameerto wrote:You don't get CL football without success in the league though, so the league has to feature in their priorities even if it's as a means to an end for them.

Do you call winning the arsenal trophy (4th spot) a success in the league?

Read my next post after that one (and before your reply)
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby dazby » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:04 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:

Sounds nice Dazzer but I'd still prefer a scruffy win if needed rather than a beautiful loss.

Pellers won two trophies last season which means he's ahead of schedule. If you look at how we play, and how the younger grades play, it appears the focus is on playing beautiful attacking football. Winning trophies is the by product of said style.

What does that say about our priorities?
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Postby Slim » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:56 am

dazby wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

Pellers won two trophies last season which means he's ahead of schedule. If you look at how we play, and how the younger grades play, it appears the focus is on playing beautiful attacking football. Winning trophies is the by product of said style.

Arsenal played the beautiful game for years and won nothing. Keegan had us playing swashbuckling football and we finished 9th(I think) and won nothing, awesome season and I wouldn't trade it for anything, but good football doesn't always mean good results.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:14 am

It doesn't but Dazby is right in the fact that it's what we're going to do, at every level. If we dry up winning stuff, then someone else will get the first team job, but they will still have to play attractive attacking football. The Count has probably got a season in the bank now due to last year's title. If we win fuck all he probably still gets another go, but not if we play like Holland.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby blues2win » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:29 am

The owners surely want to see progress in the CL which means quarter finals at least. As we saw last year there's a big premium on winning our group.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby sandman » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:26 pm

All I am bothered about seeing city do is win the league.

FA Cup / Carling Cup would be nice, Champions League would be amazing but as long as we win the league then I am a happy man.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:48 pm

sandman wrote:All I am bothered about seeing city do is win the league.

FA Cup / Carling Cup would be nice, Champions League would be amazing but as long as we win the league then I am a happy man.

As long as we win it?

We've proven it takes hard work and skill and a bit of luck. If we win it again we are fortunate. Matter until the end in all comps while playing our style is all we can ask for.

And that's what we've been spoiled with for the most part. How lucky are we?

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Wooders » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:21 pm

There or there abouts and I am happy - CL would be a brilliant bonus but our priority should be a title defense
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Slim » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:32 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
sandman wrote:All I am bothered about seeing city do is win the league.

As long as we win it?

We've proven it takes hard work and skill and a bit of luck. If we win it again we are fortunate. Matter until the end in all comps while playing our style is all we can ask for.

And that's what we've been spoiled with for the most part. How lucky are we?

Cheers

Both titles came down to other team's choking, I wouldn't expect Chelsea to do the same if they were in that position.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:05 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:

For a one off game yes.
But if we were to play 'scurffy' and just scrape 1-0's every game like Bourinho I wouldn't be happy.

Playing attractive football is a must, we have some of the best, most exciting players in the world, playing good football is a necessity not a bonus and in the long term, good football produces better results.
Part of becoming a global superpower is having our own style of play and not changing that for anyone.
Last edited by Bridge'srightfoot on Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:11 pm

Playing good football is a given, we can all see that.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby dazby » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:40 pm

Slim wrote:
dazby wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

Arsenal played the beautiful game for years and won nothing. Keegan had us playing swashbuckling football and we finished 9th(I think) and won nothing, awesome season and I wouldn't trade it for anything, but good football doesn't always mean good results.

When you consider that this is the UAE PR machine I'm not sure that that necessarily matters. Arsenal won nothing for 9 years. Do you think they lost any fans? Do you think they continued to garner support? Arsenal didn't win anything because they didn't invest in players. The chequebook came out last season and wahey, they win a trophy. Beautiful football gains supporters win lose or draw. Beautiful football played by the worlds best players gains supporters and trophies.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Postby Slim » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:32 am

dazby wrote:
Slim wrote:
dazby wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

When you consider that this is the UAE PR machine I'm not sure that that necessarily matters. Arsenal won nothing for 9 years. Do you think they lost any fans? Do you think they continued to garner support? Arsenal didn't win anything because they didn't invest in players. The chequebook came out last season and wahey, they win a trophy. Beautiful football gains supporters win lose or draw. Beautiful football played by the worlds best players gains supporters and trophies.

I don't know how to respond to that garbled mess.

You now make the supposition that fans=trophies? Because I guess more fans=more money=buying better players=trophies?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby john68 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:30 pm

As we are already Prem Champions, anything less in the forthcoming season would be a step backward. We have shown during this preseason that we have the reserves to step up and deliver should it be necessary.
The true measure of advancement is how well we do in the CL. I expect a decent showing of at least a quarterfinal and would really hope for a real go at winning it.
Other trophies are a bonus, but I would not be surprised if we pick a pot or two.

I really think our squad is that good.

On a personal note, I would dearly love us to score a hat full and play Arsenal off the park at Wembley. With each goal rebounding from the back of the net, down Wenger's throat and choking the miserable, whingeing twat.

I would also like similar to happen versus Scousehampton and the rags. Just so they and their arse licking media scumbags are fully made aware of the pecking order with City firmly planted above them.

I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Chinners » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:51 pm

As long as we avoid relegation unlike the time we were champions in the 1930's (John68 will fill you in on the details) then I'll be happy.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:22 pm

League as always but I'm sure I'm in monority here.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:48 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:League as always but I'm sure I'm in monority here.

I am with you there. League number 1 priority, after that anything is a bonus.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby littlebig » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:02 pm

sheblue wrote:Retaining title and further progress in CL is the number one priority.
Cups are not a priority, just a bonus.

Yup. The title is number one for me and, presumably, for most fans.

Sheikh Mansour however, will want that most tantalising and prestigious of prizes in the Champions League. It fits in with his long term aim of raising the profile of ADUG. However, he is no idiot, and I'm sure he realises that success in the league is the most important barometer of our progress and that if we can get this baseline right then further successes will follow.

In summary, League is number 1 priority with an eye to edging closer towards Champions League glory in the short to medium term.
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum